PDA

View Full Version : Personalized Icons

Shina
Jun 30, 2003, 05:29 AM
How do you use your own avatar? I never saw a place you could just put in a URL to use anyone you wanted. I had to pick from a list. :/

Saladwood
Jun 30, 2003, 06:04 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=55336&forum=6

Vantamiath
Jun 30, 2003, 06:39 PM
Isn't it weird that Mods get personalized avatars? I know you guys do a tad more work then us (emphasis on tad), but I thought this was a "community".

I guess mods are the parliment of the community http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Guntz348
Jun 30, 2003, 06:57 PM
On 2003-06-30 16:39, Vantamiath wrote:
Isn't it weird that Mods get personalized avatars? I know you guys do a tad more work then us (emphasis on tad), but I thought this was a "community".

I guess mods are the parliment of the community http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Try a hell of a lot more work.

Davion
Jun 30, 2003, 06:59 PM
On 2003-06-30 16:57, Guntz348 wrote:

On 2003-06-30 16:39, Vantamiath wrote:

Try a hell of a lot more work.

Lol yeah. I mean, if maintaining this massive site wasn't hard enough, they have to deal with questions like that.

Vantamiath
Jun 30, 2003, 07:33 PM
In perspective where did all the guides come from? How about the support? How bout those that help keep the site running?

Reenee
Jun 30, 2003, 07:52 PM
Oh, come on. Users contribute guides. I submitted two myself, one of them being quite hefty. The community contributes to the site.

Guntz348
Jun 30, 2003, 08:11 PM
I've done several guides and scripts for quests and I'm working on more. The mods and admins have done a majority of them not to mention the coding to put them on the site. They answer a large chuck of peoples questions and do hours upon hours of work behind the scenes to make the site work. Look at all the additions and changes in the site over the past few weeks. Do you think they just coded and programmed themsevles? No, Erupt slaved to make all the additions and things to the site. Not to mention all the guides and other things lolli has added, just check the site additions thread and you'll see all the work they do. All of the mods and admins here work tirelessly to make the site better and besides that the site owner decided in the behining that he only wanted pso themed avatars for the users. The mods got that one little extra bonus for all the work that they do.

To be honest, and back on the original topic, I totally agree with there rule to keep it PSO themed. If it weren't for that it would be nothing but the same tired FF and DBZ pictures that would detract from the point of this website. That would just be annoying and personally make me sick after about five minutes. You have a sig that you can put anything you want in, just use that and be happy. Be thankful for what you have, how come people always have to demand more before they say thank you for what they have?

Davion
Jun 30, 2003, 08:13 PM
On 2003-06-30 17:52, Shapiro wrote:
Oh, come on. Users contribute guides. I submitted two myself, one of them being quite hefty. The community contributes to the site.

You come on. Who puts them on the site? Who makes sure the coding works? Who makes sure this site works smoothly? When was the last time you moved an off topic post, or banned a trouble maker? When was the last time you organized the item database or fixed something wrong with the site?

People that just post here or contribute guides do NOTHING compared dto the work the mods put in.

rbf2000
Jun 30, 2003, 08:19 PM
What's work?

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=56789&forum=6&0

LollipopLolita
Jun 30, 2003, 08:43 PM
heh rbf, i'm gonna unlock this to add a couple things since i just saw what this thread progressed to.

there will never be custom avatars because:

1. the site owners does not wish for users to have custom avatars. and that is their wish. respect it. it is also their wish that only staffers get it. for your information this is different from the way things were done before. before, we had custom titles and/or custom avatars only for selected/preferred people. we got rid of this to ensure more fairness among users, not staffers. the current exception to this would be contests.

2. custom avatars mean more modding. contentwise. we already have a hassle with sigs. daily, several people break the sig rules even though we already rules stating the specifications and requirements. we have to go in and correct individual sigs.

3. custom avatars will take longer to load versus images that have already been cached in your system. the forums will take way more time to load. want that?

4. we would have to manually check all of the avatar sizes. it's tedious, time consuming, and you have no idea the backlash, attitude and rudeness we get from people who have broken sig rules and got their sigs taken away. trust me, psow does not have the best attitude when it comes to members sometimes.

5. we have a lot of avatars, a whole lot. pick one. it's that simple. use your signatures to express your personality if you need to.

6. we acknowledge the contributions of our users. everything is credited, and members making large contributions are noted in our contributors section.

7. this being a pso site, we are more focused and driven to putting out content for pso the game and for the players, and more focused on improving certain site areas to better facilitate pso players.

8. we do work entirely pro bono. we have 0 pay 0 incentives. we run on 0 donations, everything is done voluntarily, including contest prizes. we upkeep content and contests voluntarily for all of you. we don't just sit around and do nothing but mod psow all day. all of us have something else to do. we all have either school or jobs or a combination of both. monitoring psow is tedious and stressful, something a lot of people don't realize, but babysitting a huge community that tends to mess up isn't exactly the most fun thing in the world at the end of a tiring day. most mods are already going way out of what they are required to, and trying to participate and build the community. our mods do a lot more work than most mods at other forums. our mods also take a lot of abuse and attitude from people. we all take a lot of abuse and attitude from people off and on psow. being admins does not mean that erupt has to code new features, i have to add guides or mod, or that salad has to upkeep the item database, pics and findings. we all have to deal with a lot of personal requests, dealing with members who need individual attention, coming up with continuous content, making sure everything is running smoothly and fairly and keeping up with member requests for additions and enhancements to the site and forums. none of which are obligations to any of us as part of the job. we don't own any part of the site unlike other admins of pso sites with content. with psow we set the pace of other sites and update news as they are released as soon as it gets out or as soon as we get them. i am not even obligated to make guides everytime quests come out.

we don't do this to ask people to notice us, and we don't do this so that someone will thank us. we are doing all this so that pso players everywhere can have a site to go to for information and a thriving community to turn to. we are doing this to continuously improve a community and site that has previously gone downhill in terms of content and community. of this, we ask for 0 thanks and recognition, we would just like to say thanks to the our staffers and their hard work (most behind the scenes so it all seems easy and seamless to you guys) by giving them their personal avatar.

so please. stop arguing about the personal avatars. it's growing thin on me and all of us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-06-30 18:51 ]</font>