PDA

View Full Version : Huge Exploit found in Xbox dashboard

hollowtip
Jul 4, 2003, 04:14 AM
http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/security/story/0,2000048600,20275965-1,00.htm

Can allow users to play backup/pirated games on the console.

no solering or mod-chip needed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2003-07-04 02:15 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 4, 2003, 08:01 AM
It doesn't matter t me because I don't play pirated games.

Atax
Jul 4, 2003, 10:21 AM
Apparently all it can do atm is run Linux. Running 'backups' and emus, misc code, etc is just the potential of what it can do in the future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atax on 2003-07-04 08:21 ]</font>

Reenee
Jul 4, 2003, 10:26 AM
I think there was a thread like this in the Cheaters forum?

Dangerous55
Jul 4, 2003, 10:51 AM
I only play one Pirate game. Pirates of the Carribean! Arg Ye matey! Man the mizzenmast! ARG!

Kid_Icarus
Jul 4, 2003, 05:02 PM
On 2003-07-04 08:51, Dangerous55 wrote:
I only play one Pirate game. Pirates of the Carribean! Arg Ye matey! Man the mizzenmast! ARG!

FIRE UPON YON SCURVEY TOURISTS MATEY ARR
SWAB THE POOP DECK
FIRE UPON YON ADMIN BOAT! LET THEM SINK TO DAVY'S JONES'S LOCKER!
ARRRR

Gestiv
Jul 4, 2003, 06:25 PM
ARRR...uh...crap... you guys took all of the good pirate sayings. -_-;

TerribleDeliMeat
Jul 5, 2003, 01:46 AM
I believe Tycho at Penny Arcade summed this whole crap up nicely

"Apparently, the only way MS can defend against it is to release a new version of the Dashboard - which is actually fairly easy for them to do, if you have Live. It has a difficulty index somewhere between flipping a lightswitch and opening a cupboard."

And if you don't have Live, then why exactly do you purchase an xbox?

rena-ko
Jul 5, 2003, 08:37 AM
there might be still some people who dont like online games, dont have broadband internet or simply wont pay monthly fees (because lack of credit-card for example).

yeah, its weird, i know. *sarcasm, in case you didn't notice*

and... i couldn't care less. i dont own an xbox...
some people have definitely too much time at their hands...

Shrevn
Jul 5, 2003, 07:54 PM
It doesnt matter alot of people have already modded their xbox as well as ps2's... so who cares?
bootlegs will be out as long as hackers feel like having them out... which is... well forever :/

Captain_Dude
Jul 6, 2003, 03:12 AM
Big deal. I don't really care what happens. I don't support the mass pirating of games (Yeah, right. I don't expect anyone to believe that statement.), but I don't support Microsoft much either (minus my Xbox).

Whatever.

hollowtip
Jul 6, 2003, 08:13 PM
I don't think you guys really understand the impact this is going to bring the PSOX scene. This exploit is going to open the floodgates for a lot of PSOX users to easily cheat online without even opening there console. No mod install, and it costs virtually nothing to actually take advantage of the exploit.

Sedyne
Jul 6, 2003, 11:03 PM
First of all, the only two items you need to run backed up /pirated games are a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire and a memory card. As well as a cd-bruner and the the right downloded software.

The method to do it, does require you to take apart your hard drive becaus you have to pull something and put it back in at a certain moment. I've done it, it's nothing special becuase you have to do it everytime you want to play a pirated game. I'm sure there's a way to get by that as well but. It was useless when I did, esp since the game would freeze at the start screen. (DOA Vollyball that is)

hollowtip
Jul 7, 2003, 01:16 AM
On 2003-07-06 21:03, Sedyne wrote:
First of all, the only two items you need to run backed up /pirated games are a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire and a memory card. As well as a cd-bruner and the the right downloded software.

The method to do it, does require you to take apart your hard drive becaus you have to pull something and put it back in at a certain moment. I've done it, it's nothing special becuase you have to do it everytime you want to play a pirated game. I'm sure there's a way to get by that as well but. It was useless when I did, esp since the game would freeze at the start screen. (DOA Vollyball that is)

This exploit does not require you to open your console in any way. The Complex loader coupled with the Free-X exploit only requires you to have 007 and a memory, that's it.