PDA

View Full Version : Death of Dreamcast * Funny *

RedVento
Mar 16, 2001, 11:09 AM
The following story is true. Only the names have been changed to hide the guilt... err... inocent.

Picture it. Its March 15, 2001. I.. er.. My friend just got home from work, and is getting ready to play a little PSO. He turns his DC on and nothing happens, well no video or sound anyways. No worries, this has happened before, thanks to a crappy vga adapter blowing my.... er... his A/V fuse.. Simply unplug the AV cable plug it in, repeat, and it should work. Well I.. er.. he does and nothing happens.. Crap I say.. err.. he says to himself. Ok, fine this happened to me.. Ok I said it..
Where was I? Oh yeah.. So I say to my self.. "Self, I wonder if we can fix this problem?" I gets out my tools and start the operation. I faithfully remove all the case screws. With the case off I can see that I have no idea what I'm looking at, and even less of an idea of what I'm going to do, but that doesn't stop me. I remove the power board, GD reader, and controller ports. This leaves just the metal over the main board. Off this goes.. After staring at the mainboard for about 10 minutes I come to this conclusion: hmm.. That's funny, there are no fuses. At least no fuses like I've ever seen. O well, time to put the fucker back together. When I'm done I'm thinking, "Gee, I wonder where these two screws were supposed to go." O well. So I plug everything back in and this time when I turn on the DC I get nothing again.. Although this is a far worse nothing than last time.. This time I am not getting any power to the DC. "Oops" is what I am thinking, "I guess those 2 screws were important...." So I take the DC apart again, find where the two screws should go.. Put the DC together again.. still nothing.. "Uh-ho, this could be bad" I'm thinking.. Get on irc and go to the #pso room.. people there are mostly ignoring my pleas for help, talking about... oh I don't know, wasn't paying attention.. I finally get some reply's and some links(side note: PSO World people are DA BOMB). Ok, I'm off to try this again.. I take the DC apart, try the suggestions, put it back together, nothin.. At this point a normal person might have givin up. I, however, am no normal person(anyone who spends the day with my in IRC can attest to that) so I DON'T give up.... I proceed to this pattern for the next 2 hours : Take dreamcast completely apart, stare at for 5 minutes, after NOT actually doing anything put it back together. I would guess that I disassembled and assembled my DC about 87 times last night. The final verdict. I killed my dreamcast, well more like commited manslaughter since I had no intent. All I can say in my defense is OOPS.....

O well.. 230 hours of PSO gone..
Elric ... DEAD ...
Pellinore ... DEAD ...

But wait, there is a glimore of hope, not for the DC, but for the characters.. If I get a new DC and swap the GD assambly I *might* be able to use my character.. what the worse that can happen if I open another dreamcast.............

PowerSlave
Mar 16, 2001, 02:24 PM
ReVento.......Sega has a fix so you will not lose your characther! The same EXACT thing happened to me on tuesday, no audio or video.
What to do is call sega, tell them your DC broke and you had to buy a new one, but do not want to lose your PSO characters. They will take your PSO serial # and access key and delete them and the associated DC serial # from the servers. Now when you log on, the servers do not think that this game is being played on 2 DC's. It took 24 hours for the change to take effect, and I was online like usual last night with no problems.

Im glad I called Sega one more time before throwing my VMUs out the window, lol.

Hope this helps!

RedVento
Mar 16, 2001, 04:23 PM
you didn't have a problem loading the save games with the new dc even offline? I was under the impression that it did something for offline use also...

D_MaMBo
Mar 16, 2001, 06:24 PM
Red, you are so right, when you try and use your memory card on another DC, you will get stopped way before you even get to choose offline or on. (Kinda tried that once...OK, twice, along with my long time fight to get my import character to work on the US DC)