PDA

View Full Version : Cheating : good or bad...

Over
Jul 5, 2003, 09:25 AM
I belive it is not bad as it can help low lvs up and as long as it doesnt affect your characters then... no problem! What do you think?

ginko990
Jul 5, 2003, 10:09 AM
"Cheating" can be defined in so many ways in PSO. So many different forms of it. Some are harmful others are not.

StarJagKvar
Jul 5, 2003, 11:04 PM
Cheating is bad! bad cheaters! bad!

LordOfTrees
Jul 6, 2003, 01:06 AM
my friend is a cheater in a way...he buys stuff of ebay, but he gives it to me and in a way i feel like i am inderectly cheating, but who can resist having someone give u over half the rares in the game all at once so...i feel im just and innocent bystander, but cheating is bad.

ginko990
Jul 6, 2003, 01:34 AM
On 2003-07-05 23:06, LordOfTrees wrote:
my friend is a cheater in a way...he buys stuff of ebay, but he gives it to me and in a way i feel like i am inderectly cheating, but who can resist having someone give u over half the rares in the game all at once so...i feel im just and innocent bystander, but cheating is bad.

Buys them off Ebay?....

Id classify your friend as an idiot instead of a cheater.

umbrella
Jul 6, 2003, 02:10 AM
Cheating is for people that never made it legit, like me..

(.......... actually I don't cheat.. because I don't know how, and I don't want to really.........)

Captain_Dude
Jul 6, 2003, 05:16 AM
People who wish to cheat, and derive pleasure from it have all the right to, so long as it doesn't hurt others.
I personally don't care if someone uses a duped Tsumikiri J-Sword, or hacks their character, it's not adversly affecting me. So I don't care, I just shut up, smile, and be glad that doing what they did made them happy.

umbrella
Jul 6, 2003, 01:59 PM
that's always good too.

Asuka_chan
Jul 6, 2003, 02:15 PM
I think cheating is bad... it's more fun playing legit! Of course, I've never cheated, so I have nothing to compare being legit to... but anyways...

BonusKun
Jul 6, 2003, 02:32 PM
*finds myself seeing a thread just like this buried in the archives of this section..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BonusKun on 2003-07-06 12:33 ]</font>

Skankhair
Jul 6, 2003, 04:20 PM
Good.

I played PSO v2 on the DC for over 300 hours. I was 100% legit. I only used what I found.

Now, on the Xbox I used hacked and duped items, and it's WAY more fun.

Not everyone will enjoy using "cheated" items more. Some prefer being legit. But having the option is a good thing.

As long as someone's "cheating" makes the game more fun for them, without making it less fun for anyone else, it's a good thing.

Me using a Devil's Tail or duped J-Sword in party games doesn't hurt anyone. But, I won't use these items in battle mode. THAT would be unfair.

For all of the people saying being legit is better, more fun, or the only way to go:

Realize that it is only those thing to YOU. Not to everyone. And, you might want to actually try "cheating" before you knock it.

Rated_Lexxx
Jul 6, 2003, 06:38 PM
Wat u dont see is you are hurting other players. You have an unfair advantge. In by defintion you are not suppose to cheat. I hate when people come on my games with suped up items take all the exp and they get mad when I leave them behind from the boss of any given level

AzNrarehunter
Jul 6, 2003, 07:10 PM
cheating spoils the game badly. long ago, i cheated on final fantasy X to have more power and hp, but i felt ashamed on beating it like that, so at that point. i took an oath not to cheat again. with the exception of certain situations. i quit using gamechark or action replay.

Aurra
Jul 6, 2003, 07:11 PM
I think I'm an odd one, as I play legit but I see absolutely nothing wrong with duping or other forms of recreational cheating that don't harm others =P

I duped the crap out of everything on V1, corrupted several times because of botched hacking attempts, and eventually quit since I had myself, taken all the life out of PSO. Then on V2 I never really touched any forms of cheating, and I ended up not getting as burnt out. Soooo, I kept my play style onto GC and I'm quite happy with it.

Anyway, I don't think there needs to be such a big deal made about "OMFG DUPING HURTS THE PSO ECONOMY." Get over it, it's a game. You know, a game. Those things people play to have fun? Does it really destroy your life all that much for people to have TJ-Swords? Besides, if you're worried about duping then you obviously never experienced the evils of the 2 Dreamcast versions O_o Come back and complain when people are NOLing you or firing off lobby VKs.

So, to recap, PSO is all about human contact and such, not what weapon is sticking out of the digital fist of the guy standing beside you. Play however you can have the most fun, as long as you do not adversely affect others.

SlashEdgewind
Jul 6, 2003, 07:43 PM
I'm not taking the time to read through this entire topic, so I'll just sum up my opinion with this one short phrase

good..bad.. I'm the guy with the gun

Slash

umbrella
Jul 6, 2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah legit is more fun, and it gives yous omething to brag about.

Vantamiath
Jul 6, 2003, 11:14 PM
On 2003-07-06 19:29, umbrella wrote:
Yeah legit is more fun, and it gives yous omething to brag about.

Don't worry, cheaters get their brags in too...even if they're the most pedestrian of accomplishments.

umbrella
Jul 7, 2003, 12:14 AM
yeah but legit is....

honorable.

Skankhair
Jul 7, 2003, 07:44 AM
"Wat u dont see is you are hurting other players. You have an unfair advantge."

What advantage? They can get the same items I can. The only items I have that they can't get a rare mags. But their mag can be just as good. Also, we are a PARTY!. My items help them.

If you are upset that some people steal all of the EXP, that's fine, you have a reason to be. But your problem isn't with their non-legit items, your problem is with their lack of team-play. Someone could steal all of the EXP with legit items. And someone could be a team player with non-legit items.

"In by defintion you are not suppose to cheat."

I never said we were. I just said it doesn't have to hurt anyone.

"cheating spoils the game badly."

Maybe for you. Not for everyone. I think playing legit spoils the game. I've done both extensivly. Have you?

"Yeah legit is more fun"

Maybe to you- not to me.

"and it gives yous omething to brag about."

You can cheat and still brag about the legit items you found.

"yeah but legit is....

honorable."

Honor in a videogame- given by using certain items? Sorry, I just find that funny. You aren't going anything to benefit anyone by being legit. Nor are you making any sacrifice. It's the fallacy that not using hacked or duped items is honorable that makes a lot of legit players jerks, morons and just plain assholes.

You're just deciding (God only knows why) to not use certain items because you didn't find them, or because ST doesn't want you to. If there is honor in that, there is honor in everything.

Don't say it's honorable because if you find an item, you "earn" it. You don't. You get lucky. If you could only get item X by beating a hard challenge, then yes, having someone hack or dupe you the item isn't earning it. But in PSO item drops are random (as random as a computer can get). You don't earn anything. You get lucky.

Whether using hacked or duped items is "less honorable" or hurtful to other players depends solely on the player and how they have "cheated". But cheating doesn't HAVE to be wrong. You can cheat and not hurt anyone. You can cheat without getting anything you didn't earn (as much as someone that found the item by luck).

Rather than ignorantly blanketing cheaters as less honorable, or harmful to other players, try targeting the assholes that use J-Swords and duped lvl 30 Megid disks in battle mode. They are hurting other players. Or the guys that FSOD people.

Me using a Devil's Wing mag or a Blue Merge that might be duped (in normal mode) doesn't hurt anyone. I earned them just as much as anyone that finds them by luck (although the Devil's Wing [kit] can't be found yet, my mag is no better than a non-hacked mag of the same level).

If you are on either side of the legit/cheat debate, you need to wake up. Legit or cheated isn't the question- benefittial or harmful (to the PSO community) is the question. And legits and cheaters can be on the same side of that issue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skankhair on 2003-07-07 05:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skankhair on 2003-07-07 06:36 ]</font>

Over
Jul 7, 2003, 12:40 PM
hmm... Skankhair has a point... sorry to interupt - continue...

TangledWeb3917
Jul 7, 2003, 02:29 PM
Cheating is bad. I played through the game legit with my force and its highly upsetting to see low level forces casting high level spells that they shouldnt even be able to use yet. It takes all the fun out of leveling and tears the challenge out of the game.

Skankhair
Jul 7, 2003, 02:54 PM
No it doesn't, and no it doesn't.

Try cheating before you knock it. I've played legit and un-legit extensivly. I find cheating to be at least twice as much fun, and equally as challenging (you just do harder levels).

CivX
Jul 7, 2003, 03:27 PM
On 2003-07-07 12:29, TangledWeb3917 wrote:
Cheating is bad. I played through the game legit with my force and its highly upsetting to see low level forces casting high level spells that they shouldnt even be able to use yet. It takes all the fun out of leveling and tears the challenge out of the game.

WHAT

Seriously, if it really bothers you, you shouldn't really be playing the game. There is no "fun" in leveling, and Ultimate mode is still hard even WITH dupes.

SlashEdgewind
Jul 7, 2003, 06:09 PM
*Slash Edgewind, run program Rant*

it's all a matter of opinion really, and point of view.. there are people who take this game WAY to seriously.. there are some who just like to screw around in the game.. then of course there are hardcore gamers who.. although really don't care one way or another about what other people do, they try to refrain from cheating, because they want a challenge.

and besides the whole point of having hard to find rares, is that their hard to find, therefor they have an actual value to people who want them, or can't find them, thus they want to trade for it using stuff they find... being able to get items duped makes it so rares or just really good equipment made it so there's very little point in trading.. or make it so total noobs give up any of their good stuff to trade for some massively duped *although fairly good it's still pretty much worthless as an item* weapon or piece of armor

*Program Rant terminated*

Slash

Vantamiath
Jul 7, 2003, 06:19 PM
On 2003-07-07 12:54, Skankhair wrote:
I find cheating to be at least twice as much fun, and equally as challenging (you just do harder levels).

So what happens when the harder levels become to easy?

Roughly happens at level 5-15

Skankhair
Jul 8, 2003, 12:17 AM
"So what happens when the harder levels become to easy?

Roughly happens at level 5-15 "

Actually, the "harder" levels really never become easy.

Even with hacked and duped items, ultimate ruins is pretty damn tough. There is ALWAYS a challenge. If you want more of a challenge, swap that J-Sword for a Musashi, and you're all set.

Cheating doesn't ruin the challenge. Period. Saying it does is like saying leveling just ruins the challenge, or finding a good rare ruins the challenge.

You can play legit if you'd like, but you don't have one damn good reason that I should play legit. So don't pretend that you do.

Creasian
Jul 8, 2003, 01:50 AM
"level 20 HuCast joins a game and pipes down to the 3 strangers in the game, he notice's they all have very common 2-3 star weapons, and are struggling with the current difficulty, while he who has a T sword devil wings level 200 decides to put away those items, pulls out the brand plus 1 and his baby mag and joins in the fray!"

While

"A Hunewearl joins a game in progress. Pipes down to the surface to seabed ultimate mode. The 3 other players in progress, obviously wounded and decked out in the best of stuff. One of them tells the new player who just has a little demo comet plus 4 and a normal 200 mag to try out his double cannon, and get ready to die with the rest of them when they go into the next room. But he says its just all for fun, you wanna stay? The hunewearl decides its a game for fun, no harm in playing the game with other players, and maybe see how they have fun"

Well... Holy water to all those sinners out there who try and get along! part of playing a online game is being a part of a community. The community has a atmosphere of its own, and you should allways try and blend in well but remain unique, but allways respect the unique ideals of everyone else. As such, this isnt "YOUR" community, its ours. Cheating is a element of video games. It has, almost allways been with the genre. I'm sure if in the first story the 3 on the planet started to yell and cuss and scream 'Your ruining my game you duper!" it would have turned out different. Kindness gets kindness in return tothose you show it to who are really going to matter, same with respect. I accept cheating is apart of video games. This isnt a true online game, offline/online and i wont treat it as such. Thus, People who cheat are okay in my book and i call them friends.

Me? I'm a unbiased game player. Simple as that.