PDA

View Full Version : Is PSO worth my money? (xbox)

jarek99
Jul 8, 2003, 01:56 AM
I realize if you go to this board youre probably as PSO fan...but I'd like an unbiased opinion here. (if there is such a thing) I'm just pondering whether or not to buy PSO for xbox. Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I used to play the orginal PSO on Dreamcast. The fun factor got ruined by alot of cheating/PKing/duping. Has any of this changed since the DC version?

The DC game also only had 4 levels which kinda got old after a while(make that 3 since I really hated the caves!) How many levels are in the xbox version? Is Sega actually adding new content/features to the game? Or just 1 or 2 little quests here and there?

And finally, how does the game handle lag? I remember the DC version being fairly decent even on a dialup connection.

thx
-jarek

jarek99
Jul 8, 2003, 02:06 AM
please, dont answer all at once...lol <crickets chriping>

wildman_182
Jul 8, 2003, 02:21 AM
Well, no one has answered your question so I will. If you liked PSO for DC, chances are you will like it for X-box more. I think the biggest improvment was the chatting, actually talking is more effective. However if you wanna play legit you'll have a hard time on PSOX.

hououtate
Jul 8, 2003, 02:29 AM
Yea, get the GC version, you dont get a lot of hacking there, Xbox version is Crazy hacking (only reason im getting it) i have been having good times on PSOGC, only real cheating is duping.

Mazarin
Jul 8, 2003, 02:37 AM
I beg to differ, @ least about the legit thing.

Reguardless, if you play online, DC, PC, GCN, or XBox and trade/accept ANYTHING, you have something that is duped or hacked. That point has been long since dead.

It's more about the future w/ the XBox version. One thing it already has over the CGN ver is a released patch to cure the store dupe, trade window theft, and Gallon's Points/Meseta trick.

IMHO, if you're looking for it all RIGHT NOW, CGN is your best bet. If you're willing to wait, and for a possibly better experience/hack control, go for the XBox.

REPEAT(cause I know people won't read it all)

I said possibly.

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 8, 2003, 02:43 AM
the hacking on Xbox isnt all to despise, just consider the COMMUNITY on Xbox, MOST of the DC players r on GC, so what type of people r their 2 expect on Xbox? dont expect NOT 2 find microsoft nazi fanboys, and lamerz that im sure would outclass those of the past, especially with the voice chat mechanism.

Mazarin
Jul 8, 2003, 02:48 AM
On 2003-07-08 00:43, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
the hacking on Xbox isnt all to despise, just consider the COMMUNITY on Xbox, MOST of the DC players r on GC, so what type of people r their 2 expect on Xbox? dont expect NOT 2 find microsoft nazi fanboys, and lamerz that im sure would outclass those of the past, especially with the voice chat mechanism.

'Tis why there's a mute option, my over-generalistic, fellow.

K9999
Jul 8, 2003, 03:27 AM
Its easy to stay legit. Most people who play in servers other than Apatite are legit and i used legit items when i play with them :cry devil wings mag.

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 8, 2003, 03:38 AM
indeed muting is essential lol and tho u can stay legit, its just disgusting to the mind knowing that theirs cheating going on.

AxemPunanny
Jul 8, 2003, 03:50 AM
The duping/cheating issues aside, as far as the game, I'm sure you'd like the Xbox version (GCN too), over the DC.

There's more areas to play on including the 4 you're used in episode 1. The areas in episode 2 are more varied, and IMO, are more enjoyable to play. It's refreshing after playing the same old levels in ep.1. Of course, after awhile it can get old too. But since you haven't played it yet, I'm sure you'll welcome the changes. In addition, you got new items.

As you first start playing, and play more, you'll notice some slight to big changes here and there, with the presentation, character stats/abilities, and items. Though, it's basically the same game, just with better additions and improvements over the DC versions.

As for online play, I remember the DC version handling very well on dialup. If you got broadband, it'll handle better. If you have narrowband, I'm sure it'll be the same as the DC version (that's if you got a GCN). Xbox and GCN are basically the same; Xbox just has the communicator and server updates, while GCN actually has a keyboard for it (tho real hard to find) and the GBA hookup.

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 8, 2003, 03:59 AM
less lamorz on GC. ~_^

AndyPandy
Jul 8, 2003, 04:14 AM
On 2003-07-07 23:56, jarek99 wrote:
I realize if you go to this board youre probably as PSO fan...but I'd like an unbiased opinion here. (if there is such a thing) I'm just pondering whether or not to buy PSO for xbox. Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I used to play the orginal PSO on Dreamcast. The fun factor got ruined by alot of cheating/PKing/duping. Has any of this changed since the DC version?

The DC game also only had 4 levels which kinda got old after a while(make that 3 since I really hated the caves!) How many levels are in the xbox version? Is Sega actually adding new content/features to the game? Or just 1 or 2 little quests here and there?

And finally, how does the game handle lag? I remember the DC version being fairly decent even on a dialup connection.

thx
-jarek

Funny how so many people dont read the post properly and then waffle on about what version is best XBOX or Gamecube. It says he has an XBOX, and he want to know if its worth buying for the XBOX.

Id say, yes go for it. Its a great game and has many major improvements over the DC version. Ep2 is fun to play and future downloadable content and quests should keep you amused more than most other online games. PSO has a great online community, it just might take you a while to find people who are cool. Voice comms is truly a major improvement, and once you filter out all the lamers, its makes the game an awesome experience, and is far superior to typing messages, but you can do that too if you so wish.

Lag is very scarce on the XBOX version, as everyone is on Broadband, as oppose to Gamecube, where there are peeps with 56k etc.

Id say check out this site for pictures and info on the new levels and features as it has all the info you need to make your decision in that area.

Cheating....yes people still dupe, with a select few being able to hack. Its always gonna happen in online games, but you can avoid this if you so wish. PKing hasnt arrived yet, but as the XBOX version can have patches, im hoping this situation will never happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndyPandy on 2003-07-08 02:18 ]</font>

satoshi1
Jul 8, 2003, 06:38 AM
On 2003-07-08 02:14, AndyPandy wrote:
Funny how so many people dont read the post properly and then waffle on about what version is best XBOX or Gamecube. It says he has an XBOX, and he want to know if its worth buying for the XBOX.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndyPandy on 2003-07-08 02:18 ]</font>

Where does it say he has an Xbox?

I have the GC version, but no matter which version you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are many changes over the previous Dreamcast PSO games, most notable are the inclusion (is that even a word?) of Episode 2, which is about 4-5 whole new areas. There are also a ton of new items and new enemies also (episode 2 enemies). There's almost no real difference between the GC and XBox version gameplay wise, if you enjoyed PSO in the past, and if I were you, I'd get PSO for whatever system you have (in this case, the Xbox).

AndyPandy
Jul 8, 2003, 08:18 AM
On 2003-07-07 23:56, jarek99 wrote:
I'm just pondering whether or not to buy PSO for xbox.

Urm here?

....even you said he has. "I'd get PSO for whatever system you have (in this case, the Xbox)."....doh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndyPandy on 2003-07-08 06:22 ]</font>

Wufei
Jul 8, 2003, 09:01 AM
I think it's worth it.

When I played on the Xbox PSO servers for the first time, I was like "Whoa! This is KICKY FAST!!"

Everyone is on broadband so it's pretty awesome http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif The load times are barely even load times. In fact, I almost wish they were longer so I could play around with the sparkly doodads on the loading screens.

LunarShadowX
Jul 8, 2003, 11:24 AM
Yes, it is well worth it. And I have a question for you: Did you only play version 1 of Dreamcast PSO or did you also play version 2? Because if you did NOT play version 2, pick up this game NOW.

Yes, the hacking and duping still exists. The duping problem isn't as bad now that they've released a patch for it, and future hacking/cheating problems will probably be resolved through patches that utilize the XBox's HardDrive. Definite plus. Note that if you stay clear of the first ship you will not see too many hacks, not too sure about dupes tho. Also note that those able to hack (as in create items) are few and far between, unlike in the Dreamcast days when everyone and their mother knew who to make their own items.

Also note that in order to play online with PSOX you need to have Broadband internet, but I'm assuming you know that already since it appears you have an XBox. Oh, and speaking of broadband, I've never seen lag online, and quests load nice and quick online.

Oh, and the load times are a lot quicker now to. 3-4 seconds is the average loading time.

Anyways, as for the game, it is much improved on the Dreamcast version. If you never played version 2 of Dreamcast PSO, then there's Challenge and Battle modes that have been added, a very nice addition. Also, there's multi-player offline, which, I will admit I rarely use due to I don't like split-screen PSO, but, it's very useful for transfering items among your characters without having to go online.

The addition of Episode 2 is really nice too. Although the first two levels are based off of the two battles levels from version 2 of Dreamcast PSO, the following two levels (and they're both BIG as hell) are a very nice addition with their variety and prettiness.

With the character classes, they are a LOT, and I mean a LOT more balanced in Episode 1 & 2. Not every Human and Newman class can use all techniques anymore (although all forces can use all techniques), and Androids have traps which are very nice. Also, there's a new "material limit" added in, which means that you can only use so many stat materials before not being able to use anymore. This basically means you cannot use endless materials until all of your stats are maxed. Also note that hit materials are no longer existant, so one would need a mag to add ATA.

As for items, there are many new areas there as well. There are now twin swords (2 swords used together kind of like daggers), and there are cards for Forces. There are also Photon Launchers for RAngers. There are lots of other new items as well. Just giving examples there.

Oh yeah, the addition of the three new character classes are nice too. To be honest, my two main characters are two of the three new classes, as I played Dreamcast PSO for quite some time and wanted something new.

Oh, another thing to mention, a big thing to mention. Spread Needles are no longer nearly as dominant, and they are now a RAnger only weapon. Also, if you played version 2 of Dreamcast PSO, there are no S-Rand Spread Needles anymore. Another item omitted from the game includes the Equipable unit Stat/Maintenance.

This doesn't nearly cover everything, but I've run out of the time I alotted for this post, so I'm stopping now. To sum things up, definitely get this game, it is worth it. I'm still loving it.

jarek99
Jul 8, 2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info folks. I might be picking up the game in a few hours.

-jarek

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 8, 2003, 03:05 PM
Id say no, cuz not only do u pay for live, u ALSO pay for a HL, tho u might not care that u pay for live, but Xbox PSO wont be as enjoyable as GC pso, but paying a fee just 2 b able 2 play online in general as WELL as 2 play one other game every month prolly wouldnt concern u.

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 8, 2003, 03:09 PM
actually the stages ARENT based off the battle stages, their were MEANT 2 be in v1, so were the 3 new chars as well, but they were said 2 have been low on development time, so they excluded the BA and chars from v1, and added the BA and Cmodes on v2, they didnt add the new chars till eps1&2 since peeps still played v1, and would only see invisible chars walking around with gold names lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackwaltz-R on 2003-07-08 13:21 ]</font>

AndyPandy
Jul 8, 2003, 05:05 PM
On 2003-07-08 13:05, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
Id say no, cuz not only do u pay for live, u ALSO pay for a HL, tho u might not care that u pay for live, but Xbox PSO wont be as enjoyable as GC pso, but paying a fee just 2 b able 2 play online in general as WELL as 2 play one other game every month prolly wouldnt concern u.

...now im confused

Monomate
Jul 8, 2003, 05:17 PM
definitely! NOT!!!!!!!! instead spend your money on a GameCube and then buy PSO! of course...this is the opinion of the boy who shall always be loyal to Nintendo and who thinks that Martha Stewart and Bill Gates are out to take over the world...

LunarShadowX
Jul 8, 2003, 07:57 PM
On 2003-07-08 13:09, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
actually the stages ARENT based off the battle stages, their were MEANT 2 be in v1, so were the 3 new chars as well, but they were said 2 have been low on development time, so they excluded the BA and chars from v1, and added the BA and Cmodes on v2, they didnt add the new chars till eps1&2 since peeps still played v1, and would only see invisible chars walking around with gold names lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackwaltz-R on 2003-07-08 13:21 ]</font>

Ok, you don't need to get, uh, all riled up over technicalities. It's easier to describe things the way I put 'em then to explain everything about Challenge, the new characters, etc. etc.

Sedyne
Jul 8, 2003, 11:17 PM
Unbiased opinion:

If you have Xbox Live allready, it's well worth it. The environment is much different than DreamCast and tehre are more levels to play with and new weapons. Also it is more fun because people can't steal your weapons at all anymore unless you let them barrow it. And they don't give it back. The Live Chat for some, ex. myself, gives the game much comfier better feel than it ever had on DreamCast or GameCube. Cheating is -to some extent- worse on Xbox, however not by much at all. The only difference is the "hacked % weapons" which now does make a difference on either version since both versions can have 100%'s to three spots legally. And GameCube lets you add %'s to any weapon via online quests.

Biased, yet from expierance:

GameCube is filled with GameCube fanboys that are anti-xbox and most of the people for me, wern't enjoyable to play with. My better friends switched over to xbox and i moved over with them. The game had a much better feel with the cvoice chat, + most of the people seem wiser and less annoying on xbox than gamecube ever was. That's just how I feel. Bleh

jarek99
Jul 9, 2003, 03:39 AM
Well, today I picked up a copy of PSO for Xbox. I've been playing for a few hours today and I'm already level 14. Anyway, I'm lookin for some cool people to do some leveling with. I had a high level character on PSO for Dreamcast, so I'm not a total noob at the game. =P I'm usually online after work...which is anytime after midnight eastern time. If you wanna drop me a message, I've put a link to my AIM screen name below.

-LordNikon-
Jul 9, 2003, 08:37 AM
Sweet its nice to read posts that have a little progression and you get to see how it all ends. its like a story http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 10, 2003, 04:55 PM
of course peeps that love Xbox wont like the community on GC, and thats the way its meant to b, of course thats how u r gonna feel lol but oh well, he already has it, so feh.

AxemPunanny
Jul 10, 2003, 05:04 PM
On 2003-07-08 07:01, Wufei wrote:
I think it's worth it.

When I played on the Xbox PSO servers for the first time, I was like "Whoa! This is KICKY FAST!!"

Everyone is on broadband so it's pretty awesome http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif The load times are barely even load times. In fact, I almost wish they were longer so I could play around with the sparkly doodads on the loading screens.

Weirdo. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif J/K. Those are pretty nifty. More games should have something to do during loading. Have you tried fighting for the "doodad" when playing multiplayer?

If you wanted more technicalities, Lunar and Blackwaltz, I believe there were going to be more chars than 12 (I think it was 18). There were even thoughts of having the multiplayer offline as well. Of course, time had an affect on it, but also the hardware (I love the DC tho). Don't ask where I read it, I don't remember; it was awhile back. Of course, it wasn't official since it never happened. I wouldn't be surprised if you see more chars/additions on the next installment.

Jarek, as soon as I get online (someday), give me a holla if u see Punanny.

AndyPandy, my exact sentiments. I think he was trying to say you need to pay twice to play the game (Xbox Live and HL). Yep, run-ons can be confusing sometimes (no offense Blackwaltz).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AxemPunanny on 2003-07-10 15:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AxemPunanny on 2003-07-10 15:14 ]</font>

jarek99
Jul 10, 2003, 05:19 PM
I'm new to the forum but I'm quickly noticing a trend. Half the threads seem to become a xbox vs gamecube arguement. People should quit worrying about what version is best and just have fun playing the game.

AxemPunanny
Jul 10, 2003, 05:33 PM
On 2003-07-10 15:19, jarek99 wrote:
I'm new to the forum but I'm quickly noticing a trend. Half the threads seem to become a xbox vs gamecube arguement. People should quit worrying about what version is best and just have fun playing the game.

troooooooo dat.

I have all the versions, because I want my chars to cover all the dimensions. It would have been pretty nice if they had cross platforming, at least for PSO. Of course, although possibly it didnt' happen.

Blackwaltz-R
Jul 10, 2003, 06:32 PM
lol fukk crossplatforming, all those hacks would spill over to GC, all we have 2 worry about is d00ping, tho sega didmwant 2 crossplatform, but the LIVE servers like to contain its flaws to itself.

Wufei
Jul 10, 2003, 07:33 PM
On 2003-07-10 16:32, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
lol fukk crossplatforming, all those hacks would spill over to GC, all we have 2 worry about is d00ping, tho sega didmwant 2 crossplatform, but the LIVE servers like to contain its flaws to itself
Your posts aren't exactly convincing me that the Gamecube users are superior to those on Xbox. Okay, so the Xbox version has some hacked items. Big freaking deal. I doubt you've ever played it and I doubt you ever will, so you should stop lecturing about the Gamecube's superiority when you're only going by what someone else told you.

This discussion should be over. He had an Xbox, considered buying PSO for his Xbox, then bought PSO. For his Xbox. Gamecube should never have been mentioned, because it has no relevance to this thread's purpose. Besides, do you honestly think that you could sway someone to choose one console over the other? It's not Gamecube PSO versus Xbox PSO, it's about Gamecube's roster of games versus that of the Xbox. People are going to buy the game for the system they already have. And they bought that system for more reasons than slight differences in PSO versions.

AxemPunanny
Jul 11, 2003, 12:05 AM
On 2003-07-10 17:33, Wufei wrote:
This discussion should be over.

Wait wait... can I say one more thing...

ah nevermind. (moving on)

ChokingVictim
Jul 11, 2003, 04:21 PM
something else to add for getting the xbox version...
when you consider the investment to play the GC version , be reminded that nintendo's online package as a whole is a lot weaker than M$'s. If all you ever wanna do is play pso online than go for the cube... but let's face it.... the great satan of microsoft has the best online plan hands down

primer567
Jul 11, 2003, 04:38 PM
Its worth it.