PDA

View Full Version : I need some good sad songs

Subliminalgroove
Jul 10, 2003, 12:22 AM
It seems all the mixes I have in my car are too upbeat, which is about as far as I could get from my mood these past few weeks. Anyway. I need to make a mix with some good sad songs on it, before I drive myself off a bridge listening to another damn happy song...

the only genre I dislike is country...

so lay em on me...

thanks

Nerd
Jul 10, 2003, 12:26 AM
Creep by Radiohead

pixelate
Jul 10, 2003, 01:24 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Life Without You"
Staind - "Home"
Unkle - "Bloodstain"

There you go. Nice variation.

Nerd
Jul 10, 2003, 01:26 AM
Just thought of this one
Cup of Coffee - Garbage

or..less sad but still moody

The Trick is to Keep Breathing - Garbage

Vantamiath
Jul 10, 2003, 01:37 AM
Anything off of Radiohead's OK COMPUTER.

If you like jazz (hint) and some upbeat >sad songs, I would check out The Mars Volta...the songs have a TON of emotion...more of a sorrow-type sound really.

Maybe the Nirvana: Unplugged in NY would fit here? (I get sad just listening to Kurt)

Weezer: Pinkerton

Of course you could go with any Pink Floyd CD in their later years...you know, the part where they lost their grip on reality.

Subliminalgroove
Jul 10, 2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks. Some good ideas to work from here. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Subliminalgroove
Jul 10, 2003, 02:48 AM
Okay. Thanks everybody who tossed up songs. I have my disk burned and ready for my drive tomorrow. Anyway... Thanks for your help. I give you:

Sub's Broken Heart Mix

1.Portishead-Roads
2.Bari Koral-Not Today
3.Radiohead-How to Disappear Completely
4.Jimi Hendrix-Castles Made of Sand
5.The Beatles-While My Guitar Gently Weeps
6.David Bowie-Life on Mars
7.Black Sabbath-Planet Caravan
8.Jeff Buckley-Hallelujah
9.Evanessence-Anywhere
10.Mannheim Steamroller-Amber
11.The Tragically Hip-Its a Good Life if You Don't Weaken
12.Goldfrapp-Deep Honey
13.Smashing Pumpkins-Eye
14.The Who-Behind Blue Eyes
15.Radiohead-Fake Plastic Trees
16.Corey Glover-April Rain
17.Garbage-Cup of Coffee

I'd still like to see more songs though, so if you feel like posting more, please do.

Guntz348
Jul 10, 2003, 02:55 AM
I gotta add Guns & Roses "Estranged". It may be too late, but oh man I love that song. Oh if ya like jpop put in Speed's "One More Dream" That song always makes me wanna cry. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Kid_Icarus
Jul 10, 2003, 03:53 AM
On 2003-07-10 00:55, Guntz348 wrote:
Oh if ya like jpop

Jpop sucks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Sorry to admit it. But it sucks. I got a Dir En Grey song from someone today and wanted to format my harddrive.

Kasera
Jul 10, 2003, 04:02 AM
Jpop makes me wanna vomit. And not in the good bullemic way.

Saladwood
Jul 10, 2003, 04:47 AM
You know, everybody has things they like, everyone has different tastes. No need to knock it like that.

Mazarin
Jul 10, 2003, 06:14 AM
Possibly the most depressing song ever made?

Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have.

Listen to the whole thing, and tell me you're smiling.

Daikarin
Jul 10, 2003, 07:26 AM
Ok, some of these you may consider boring, but at least I tried. I ordered them from the slowest to the quickest beat:

The Verve - Beautiful Mind
Kirsten Durst - Dream of me
Lamb - Gabriel
Danny Elfman - The Ice Dance
Listen4Ever - If I could
City of Angels - I Grieve
Cold Play - Trouble
Massive Attack - Teardrop
The beach Soundtrack - Moby Porcelain
U2 - Electrical Storm (Some may don't think of this as a sad song, but I think there's some sadness at the epilogue)

rena-ko
Jul 10, 2003, 07:35 AM
the two themesongs from the evangelion S^2 box

M-11 & thanatos... but don't commit suicide ^-^;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-07-10 05:36 ]</font>

DeathCheese87
Jul 10, 2003, 09:10 AM
we suck young blood-radiohead

nice n' drab.

lain2k3
Jul 10, 2003, 12:28 PM
adams song - by blink 182 always gets me down. "here's your holiday" is "good" too.

I forget who its by, but there's an instrumental piece called "sandy clock of a sad color", or "hourglass of sorrow"

"The real folk blues" from the cowboy bebop soundtrack is aptly named as well.

Acoustic #3 - the goo goo dolls is very realistic, try that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lain2k3 on 2003-07-10 10:38 ]</font>

neko-chan
Jul 10, 2003, 12:39 PM
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths.

Gestiv
Jul 10, 2003, 01:40 PM
Anything by Evanescence. And when I say anything, I mean it. Their whole genre is dark/alternative rock, so all of their songs are relatively depressing. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Usually they just make me think because I'm an optimist... but sometimes they get me kinda down. And if you can find it anywhere, the After The Story 2 song from PSO is sad (as you probably know). Oooo, another good one is "Lucky You" by the Deftones...the whole song is pretty gloomy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ImStillBetterThanU
Jul 10, 2003, 02:02 PM
You want some sad songs...?

Marilyn Manson-Man That You Fear

Cradle Of Filth-Suicide and Other Comforts(amazing lyrics)

London After Midnight-Demon(Amazing band, it's ashame not many people know of them)

I'll let you know of more when I think of them.

Guntz348
Jul 10, 2003, 03:49 PM
I can't believe I left out the most depressing song ever written, "Everybody Hurts"- by REM. Listen to that song at tell me you don't wanna slit your wrists.

JGaff
Jul 10, 2003, 06:10 PM
If you want something without words but still interesting, I'd give Duke Ellington's "Mood Indigo" a shot. I happen to like it, I hope you will make a try at it.

BlakWolf
Jul 10, 2003, 06:58 PM
Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven always gets to me. I guess it's kinda positive, but the meaning behind it is really sad. Beautiful song, though.

I don't think I really listen to any sad music, though. Maybe Jonah can be considered sad sometimes? Check out "Hostage" by New End Original.

But yea, don't be sad! hehe.

Elentari
Jul 10, 2003, 07:04 PM
Well, personally i think anything off of the Deftones White Pony is good...nice and depressing just the way i like it. Soundgarden's Superunknown is good as well....excluding Spoonman..that song just sucks. A perfect circle's Mer de Noms would work as well. Awesome albums...they rock my socks... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bunny.gif

BlakWolf
Jul 10, 2003, 07:14 PM
Ah yea, White Pony has quite a few nice, somewhat sad songs on it. Deftones - Teenager, that song is ace if you're looking for softer, slower song. Some of the stuff off of their new self-titled is pretty down too, but it's more of an upbeat album then white pony, really.

Ah, I have another suggestion. Leper Song by New End Original. The piano is just very sad in that song. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

umbrella
Jul 10, 2003, 07:28 PM
Perfect - The Smashing Pumkins
White Days - The Juliana Theory
The End ( ? the apocolypse now one ) - The Doors
Swing swing - All american Rejects ( it's ok )
Yeah nirvana songs.. Polly.. is good..

ABDUR101
Jul 10, 2003, 10:46 PM
King Crimson - "Walking on Air"

Works for me anyways.

Aredhel
Jul 10, 2003, 11:10 PM
Nothing beats "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. There's nothing sadder than knowing your existence is ephemeral, even the pathetic "love" you feel for about 70 years - it's all rendered useless when you die

I love that song http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Anything by Marilyn Manson will make you want to take that car and run some people over with it instead of driving off a bridge.

I love his music http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Wewt
Jul 11, 2003, 05:27 AM
On 2003-07-10 13:49, Guntz348 wrote:
I can't believe I left out the most depressing song ever written, "Everybody Hurts"- by REM. Listen to that song at tell me you don't wanna slit your wrists.

I didn't want to slit my wrists, but I wanted to bash my head against a brick wall until I started feeling dizzy.

When I feel down, I don't really listen to depressing songs much. I'd rather listen to angry songs. Some hard rap or rock does the trick for me.

lain2k3
Jul 11, 2003, 10:59 AM
I didnt find perfect or everybody hurts to be very sad songs, but white days is excellent. many of these song have good lyrics, but they just arent sad in their performances, the music is really unfitting for the lyrics. I still think adams song is the most depressing thing ever, except for some books ive read and anime series, like serial experiments: lain.

Ness
Jul 11, 2003, 12:45 PM
Porcelian- Moby

Reenee
Jul 11, 2003, 06:24 PM
It's Porcelain, crazy elipses maker person!

http://www.epitonic.com/labels/sonicimagesrecords.html

Grab Future and Falling. I don't know about the others, but they could follow suit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shapiro on 2003-07-11 16:25 ]</font>

RavenTW
Jul 11, 2003, 06:37 PM
If no one has said it, The Rythm Theif by Sparks is good. Nice and moody tone with interesting lyrics.

lain2k3
Jul 12, 2003, 09:56 AM
Oh my........It seems I forgot to post two of my favorite songs.........:sweat:

'Iris' - the goo goo dolls
'my december' - linkin park

Vanango
Jul 12, 2003, 10:11 AM
On 2003-07-10 04:14, Mazarin wrote:

you beat me to it. I was just listening to it this morning and when I saw this topic...

But this song is amazing.

hollowtip
Jul 12, 2003, 01:54 PM
On 2003-07-10 00:48, Subliminalgroove wrote:
Okay. Thanks everybody who tossed up songs. I have my disk burned and ready for my drive tomorrow. Anyway... Thanks for your help. I give you:

Sub's Broken Heart Mix

1.Portishead-Roads
2.Bari Koral-Not Today
3.Radiohead-How to Disappear Completely
4.Jimi Hendrix-Castles Made of Sand
5.The Beatles-While My Guitar Gently Weeps
6.David Bowie-Life on Mars
7.Black Sabbath-Planet Caravan
8.Jeff Buckley-Hallelujah
9.Evanessence-Anywhere
10.Mannheim Steamroller-Amber
11.The Tragically Hip-Its a Good Life if You Don't Weaken
12.Goldfrapp-Deep Honey
13.Smashing Pumpkins-Eye
14.The Who-Behind Blue Eyes
15.Radiohead-Fake Plastic Trees
16.Corey Glover-April Rain
17.Garbage-Cup of Coffee

I'd still like to see more songs though, so if you feel like posting more, please do.

Thomas Newman. Don't know if you like classical or not, but when I'm feeling down, I listen to him.

Vantamiath
Jul 12, 2003, 02:22 PM
On 2003-07-12 08:11, Vanango wrote:

On 2003-07-10 04:14, Mazarin wrote:

you beat me to it. I was just listening to it this morning and when I saw this topic...

But this song is amazing.

That is a very nice pick...the song can really get to you played live.

Also, after seing Petty live...I would suggest...

"Learn to Fly" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

AgentNitz
Jul 15, 2003, 09:35 AM
Amy Grant - I will remember you
- Oh how the years go by
Michelle Branch - Good-bye to you
- Second Chances
Extreme - More than words
Tool - Eulogy (if you've ever known someone that died, it'll bring a tear to your eye)
Pennywise - Bro Song
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Dido - Isobel
Natalie Imbruglia - Smoke
Atmosphere - Body Pillow
Red hot chili peppers - My friends

these're all nice ones when you're feelin pessimistic or angry or just plain poopy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif at least they're good for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

smallfry
Jul 15, 2003, 10:41 AM
with or without you - U2!!!!
best i ever had - vertical horizon
open fire - silverchair (not really that sad...)

Wewt
Jul 15, 2003, 01:23 PM
U2 - With Or Without You

Nidarrock
Jul 15, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evanescence - My Imortal (Beautifully done sad song)

Now bear with the rest of this list I'm abig movie score person. These are mostly all instrumental.

Titanic (Last few tracks, NOT the Celine song)
Gladiator - Elysium & Honor Him
Metal Gear Solid - End Title/Best is Yet to Come & Enclosure

I can't believe it I'm drawing blank here. Well let me know if you want more of movie scores.

Kizaragu
Jul 17, 2003, 09:38 AM
Humpty Dumpty love song by travis.
That is possibly the most depressing song I have ever heard! Not sure if anyone outside of the UK has heard of Travis but there just as big Coldplay and very similar. Thing is the seemed to have disapeared...

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 11:02 AM
I hate sad songs -_-

HotWaterDeath
Jul 17, 2003, 01:19 PM
Ahhh there's a whole generation of defeatist music found within the now mainstream and over produced emo(tional) music. Sheesh just get anything by Alkaline Trio, Coheed and Cambria, Taking Back Sunday, Jawbreaker, JimmyEatWorld (hahaha!), Saves The Day, Time In Malta, or even a bit of Thrice (I bet you could even caught them on MTV considering their new release on Island records). The Cure was yet another wonderfully depressing band....
And when you want to shoot yourself in the head just listen to "Suicide" by Choking Victim to seal the deal...or a freaking Nirvana record...They all make me want to jump off a bridge.

phasma
Jul 17, 2003, 01:31 PM
radiohead and NIN are certainely no strangers to pain.. i recommend checking martin grech too.

and anything emo man... yeah wow, like emo.. man

*cough*

Nai_Calus
Jul 17, 2003, 04:30 PM
One of the vocal versions of Aria di Mezzo Caraterre from FFVI...
Send In The Clowns, just about anybody's version of it...
Iris, Goo Goo Dolls...
Finale, L'Arc~en~Ciel...
You Were Meant For Me, Jewel...
Best I Ever Had, Vertical Horizon...
Hoshi no Suna, Gackt...
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, The Beatles...
Hey Jupiter, Tori Amos...
There's probably a ton of stuff I listen to when I'm sad that I just can't remember right now, because my computer Dork Boy X has been deadish for so long... ;_; Olga here works, but Olga ain't mine so I have no mp3s on the HD, and Vol Opt back home works too, but all I've got on him is Psycho le Cemu and Gackt and random other jrock and a couple of english songs... All my mp3s are on DBX. Blah, I need a job so I can make money so I can afford to go buy a new computer(Which will of course be named Calus) so I can slave DBX's HD to it and have access to my files again. -.-; Meh~. ...Now I want to go listen to those songs because I'm vaguely depressed, and I don't have most of them. ;_; Rarrrrr. ;_;

BatosaiHimura
Jul 17, 2003, 04:32 PM
Its a video game but its good. Its called Lufia 2 and the song is Love theme. Go to http://www.vgmusic.com to find it.

AUTO_
Jul 17, 2003, 07:21 PM
I thought I should mention Our Lady Peace.

They have quite a few emotional diddies (Did I just say that?).

If I knew the track name I'd tell you, but one really sticks out in particular...