PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg

Dangerous55
Jul 10, 2003, 02:47 AM
I forgot to post this on the actual date(July 1-3).

The battle, as you may know, took place in July of 1863, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of that date. I find this battle interesting because it is in my backyard(not literally) and many other people on here. If you are from around here, its pretty amazing to think that something happened of that enormity right here. It was the biggest and bloodiest battle ever fought on the Western Hemisphere. Gettysburg was the turning point of the war, often referred to as the High Water Mark of the Confederacy. The Confederate casualties in dead, wounded and missing from the three-day battle were 28,000 out of 75,000. Union casualties were 23,000 out of 88,000. That’s a total of 51,000 casualties, compared to about 50,000 U.S. soldiers killed in Vietnam during seven-and-a-half years of fighting. It is also interesting that you could study that battle for a century and never know everything about it.

Also, something famous was said there:

Four score* and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

*I am expecting little response from this*

Kid_Icarus
Jul 10, 2003, 02:56 AM
I need to get to Gettysburg one of these days.

Right down the street from me (Not literally but about 30 miles) is the Yorktown battlefield where we as Americans won our independance from the British.

Gettysburg was the high tide mark for the Confederacy, and was the first time a Union General actually was competent enough to stop General Lee.

Although Lee was rumored to be affected by the same thing that affected Napoleon on the day of the Battle of Waterloo and impeded his ability to run the troops.

The Trots.

Estimated Casualties: 51,000 total (US 23,000; CS 28,000)

And Elisha Hunt Rhodes wrote this letter which I expect none of you to read ^_^ :

Near Manchester, Md., July 1st 1863--It has rained for a week and the roads are muddy. After marching for twenty miles it is not pleasant to lie down at night in the wet without any cover. I am tired--in fact I never was so tired in my life. But Hurrah! 'It is all for the Union.'

We are quite near the Pennsylvania line, and it looks now as if we were to cross over. I am still in good health and spirits and have faith that God will guide us on the final victory. The Rebellion must be put down, and we are doing our best.

Middletown, Md., July 2nd 1863--On the night of July 1st we were camped near Manchester, Md. Rumors of fighting in Pennsylvania have been heard all the days, but the distance was so great to the battle [Gettysburg] that we knew little about it. The men were tired and hungry and lay down to rest early in the evening. At nine o'clock orders came for us to move and we in great haste packed up and started on the road towards Pennsylvania....We struggle on through the night, the men almost dead for lack of sleep and falling over in their own shadows. But we go on in the warm summer night....On the morning of July 2nd we heard firing in front and then we understood the reason for such great haste....The firing in our front grew loud and more distinct and soon we met the poor wounded fellows being carried to the rear....At about 2 o'clock P.M. we reached the Battlefield of Gettysburg, Penn. having made a march of thirty-four (34) miles without a halt. The men threw themselves upon the ground exhausted, but were soon ordered forward. We followed the road blocked with troops and trains until 4 P.M. when the field of battle with the long lines of struggling weary soldiers burst upon us. With loud cheers the old Sixth Corps took up the double quick and were soon in line of battle near the left of the main line held by the 5th Corps....when we were relieved and returned a short distance. The men threw themselves upon the ground, and oblivious to the dead and dying around us we slept the sleep of the weary.

July 3rd 1863--This morning the troops were under arms before light and ready for the great battle that we knew must be fought. The firing began, and our Brigade was hurried to the right of the line to reinforce it. While not in the front line yet we were constantly exposed to the fire of the Rebel Artillery, while bullets fell around us. We moved from point to point, wherever danger to be imminent until noon when we were ordered to report to the line held by Gen. Birney. Our Brigade marched down the road until we reached the house used by general Meade as Headquarters.... To our left was a hill on which we had many Batteries posted. Just as we reached Gen. Meade's Headquarters, a shell burst over our heads, and it was immediately followed by a shower of iron. More than two hundred guns were belching forth their thunder, and most of the shells that came over the hill struck in the road on which our Brigade was moving. Solid shot would strike the large rocks and split them as if exploded by gun powder. The flying iron and pieces of stone struck men down in every direction. It is said that this fire continued for about two hours, but I have no idea of the time. We could not see the enemy, and we could only cover ourselves the best we could behind rocks and trees. About 30 men of our Brigade were killed or wounded by this fire. Soon the Rebel yell was heard, and we found since that the Rebel General Pickett made a charge with his Division and was repulsed after reaching some of our batteries. Our lines of infantry in front of us rose up and poured in a terrible fire. As we were only a few yards in rear of our lines we saw all the fight. The firing gradually died away, and but for an occasional shot all was still. But what a scene it was. Oh the dead and the dying on this bloody field. The 2nd R.I. lost only one man killed and five wounded....Again night came upon us and again we slept amid the dead and the dying.

July 4th 1863--Was ever the Nation's Birthday celebrated in such a way before? This morning the 2nd R.I. was sent out to the front and found that during the night General Lee and his Rebel Army had fallen back. It was impossible to march across the field without stepping upon dead or wounded men, while horses and broken Artillery lay on every side. We advanced to a sunken road [Emmitsburg Road] where we deployed as skirmishers and lay down behind a bank of earth. Berdan's Sharpshooters joined us, and we passed the day in firing upon any Rebels that showed themselves.

July 5th 1863--Glorious news! We have won the victory, thank God, and the Rebel Army is fleeing to Virginia. We have the news that Vicksburg has fallen. We have thousands of prisoners, and they seem to be stupefied by the news. This morning our Corps (the 6th) started in pursuit of Lee's Army. We have had rain and the roads are bad, so we move slow. Every house we see is a hospital, and the road is covered with arms and equipment thrown away by the Rebels.

July 9th 1863--Again I thank God that the Army of the Potomac has at last gained a victory. I wonder what the South thinks of us Yankees now. I think Gettysburg will cure the Rebels of any desire to invade the north again.

pixelate
Jul 10, 2003, 02:59 AM
Anyone have one of those bullets that hit each other at the battle because so many of them were flying around?

Dangerous55
Jul 10, 2003, 12:57 PM
On 2003-07-10 00:59, pixelate wrote:
Anyone have one of those bullets that hit each other at the battle because so many of them were flying around?

Nope, but I saw one, very cool.

Cool letter Kid.

Gestiv
Jul 10, 2003, 01:27 PM
Oooo, I have a bullet from the Civil War, though. It didn't hit any other bullets, I think it probably got stuck in a tree or a fence or something. I have a musketball, too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif They're pretty neat.

LamerPanda
Jul 10, 2003, 02:31 PM
On 2003-07-10 00:59, pixelate wrote:

Probably.

It wasn't exactly *in* my backyard, but they kept wounded people in my house, and everywhere else for that matter.

I think my favorite place in the battlefield is Devil's Den. It has a wonderful view, and though not quite as infamous as Pickett's Charge through the actual fields, it still has a lot of history behind it. It's a shame, though, because the photos taken of it after the battle were faked; they moved around dead soldiers. >_o; Sick.

Jehosaphaty
Jul 10, 2003, 03:34 PM
i went there on vacation this summer. its amazing to think that those quiet fields were once bloody battlefields. gave me goosebumps yes it did. really worth tha trip. -- and the smashed double bullets r pretty amazing.

ginko990
Jul 10, 2003, 04:30 PM
My family went there last summer but decided to leave me behind, I think I was out somewhere or something. They said it was interesting.

Dangerous55
Jul 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
On 2003-07-10 12:31, LamerPanda wrote:

Probably.

It wasn't exactly *in* my backyard, but they kept wounded people in my house, and everywhere else for that matter.

I think my favorite place in the battlefield is Devil's Den. It has a wonderful view, and though not quite as infamous as Pickett's Charge through the actual fields, it still has a lot of history behind it. It's a shame, though, because the photos taken of it after the battle were faked; they moved around dead soldiers. >_o; Sick.

Yes, though I only knew of one fake pic, the one with the sniper. You can see the exact place int he photo and in real life. I mean exactly, every crack in the rock.

And yes Devil's Den is awesome, doesnt look like it should be in PA.

Elentari
Jul 10, 2003, 07:09 PM
My brother's school is about 10 minutes from Gettysburg. Freaky place i tell you. Lotsa graveyards.. and everything but, what else can you expect? I went on a ghost tour once there...didnt see anything of course. But me..being as gullable as i am...still was terrified.

*shrugs* even his school is sposed to be haunted...*shudders at the thought that i almost went there*

LamerPanda
Jul 10, 2003, 07:38 PM
What school does he go to? O_o

Dangerous55
Jul 11, 2003, 01:09 AM
On 2003-07-10 17:09, Elentari wrote:
My brother's school is about 10 minutes from Gettysburg. Freaky place i tell you. Lotsa graveyards.. and everything but, what else can you expect? I went on a ghost tour once there...didnt see anything of course. But me..being as gullable as i am...still was terrified.

*shrugs* even his school is sposed to be haunted...*shudders at the thought that i almost went there*

Oh man, there are some pretty good and freaky stores I could tell. Maybe I will sometime...