PDA

View Full Version : "Thou shall not kill!" mmmmmmmmmmm.

NodMan
Jul 15, 2003, 02:09 AM
Umm, not to sure about this one but if this one of the Ten Commandments we should all be dead by now! Come on you all breath, eat, bathe, drive(or get rides), and relive yourselfs right? Well we are all killing then so we should be dead! I guess that is just another proof that "God" doesn't exist!

Guile
Jul 15, 2003, 02:12 AM
Yeah, let's do that.

Ness
Jul 15, 2003, 07:10 AM
Did you know that less than 5% of the US has read the Bible, but 30% of the US considers themselves to be Christian?

Assuming that 3% of the people who read the Bible are Christian, that mean that 27% of the population if blindly following the word of the 3% of the people that actually know what they are talking about.

They are just a bunch of drones.

Ichiro
Jul 15, 2003, 09:12 AM
I WANT MY MOMMY!!

Jehosaphaty
Jul 15, 2003, 11:01 AM
On 2003-07-15 05:10, Ness wrote:

Assuming that 3% of the people who read the Bible are Christian, that mean that 27% of the population if blindly following the word of the 3% of the people that actually know what they are talking about.

haha yeah thats it. im curious as to where u got ur statistics and such. evidently u dont know many real Christians. we arent the kind of people who are mindless drones thank u very much. ur offensiveness towards ones beliefs arent appriciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2003-07-15 09:04 ]</font>

Mazarin
Jul 15, 2003, 12:22 PM
Funny, how Christians can be labled drones, but as soon as someone slams Islam or Bhuddism(sp?), watch out!

s.TiNgEr
Jul 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
On 2003-07-15 05:10, Ness wrote:
Did you know that less than 5% of the US has read the Bible, but 30% of the US considers themselves to be Christian?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

so true. As of now i'm nothing http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LamerPanda
Jul 15, 2003, 12:43 PM
click (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=religious) me! (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tolerance)

You have to decide for yourself whether or not there is a God, or if your religion is right; that doesn't mean you can decide for anyone else.

GnomeSlayer
Jul 15, 2003, 01:32 PM
Funny, how Christians can be labled drones, but as soon as someone slams Islam or Bhuddism(sp?), watch out!

I've never actually heard anyone slamming Buddhists, I personally consider Buddhism to be one of the greatest religions in existance. Those of you who disagree or know little should read up on it, it's a truly amazing faith.

I'm not Buddhist however, I'm Hindu - Hinduism has incorporated Buddhism into it's teachings allowing it to be one of few religions which can so peacefully coexist.

Some atheist that I have meant have mention Buddhism as being a religion they would consider converting to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GnomeSlayer on 2003-07-15 11:34 ]</font>

Delsaber
Jul 15, 2003, 01:38 PM
I take the path of the Athiest. I am the kind of person that has to have proof before I worship something...

Kizaragu
Jul 15, 2003, 03:25 PM
The paper had something interesting the other day on a subject similar to this (It was when Tht gay vicar thing was in the news alot. I didnt really pay a lot of attention to be honest).

It Had a whole list of rules and such tht Came from the Bible (Not the Commandments)such as things like'One should not wear Mixed cloth'(the only one I can remember http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
It was quite contraversial as It was pretty Much Mocking Christianity.

Not sure if its relevant to the conversation but It was interesting to read. Ill have to look up tht article if anyones interested.

Kizaragu
Jul 15, 2003, 03:27 PM
N e way on another Note, I'm an atheist. I do believe there is Some greater force out there but what it Is I dont know.

I'm just not a big fan of Religion.

ABDUR101
Jul 15, 2003, 03:42 PM
...a rather serious topic wrapped in very loose trimmings, great.

AUTO_
Jul 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
On 2003-07-15 13:42, ABDUR101 wrote:

Ohh...come on Abdur! Join the fun!

Garanz2
Jul 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
I'm athiest. I don't mind religion, but i prefer not to follow it. I just hate it when people try to impose their religion on you (jehova's witnesses etc)

lain2k3
Jul 15, 2003, 08:03 PM
I too voted atheist. I belive the only religion I would consider going to would be Buddhism, seeing as it is one of the few religions that dont preach about peace and have all their followers going on crusades and starting wars.

Did you know that Religious wars have killed more people on this planet than any other cause?

I just dont understand most religions...

lain2k3
Jul 15, 2003, 08:23 PM
I'm talking about the crusades, and the Hundred years war. Care to tell me that a war that lasted over 100 years killed less people than WWII?

It may be possible, but the religious wars DON'T END.

They go on and on and on, until one side has been nearly if not totally eradicated. The wars in the middle east exist solely because of religion. They send childeren to die in the name of their "gods".

What kind of divine being would approve of this?

The cults that worship the "devil" are more peacful than the rest.

ABDUR101
Jul 15, 2003, 08:36 PM
In most cases, it is not the religion that says "Go make everyone beleive this", it is the people mis-interpretting it and using it for their own ends which causes the problem.

Islam does not say force everyone to beleive, infact it says to not intrude upon anyone else's beleif, do not harass them, do not mock their beleifs and do not act unkind to them because they beleive differently. Only to fight if attacked, to defend the innocent, whether they are beleivers or not and to make sure everyone is taken care of, regardless of their beleif.

Are those commands followed by everyone? No. Does that make the religion bad, because some of the followers don't truely follow? No.

Don't condemn the religion for the acts of idiots and people who only want to use it for power.

Gestiv
Jul 15, 2003, 09:14 PM
I read the bible... I'm kinda forced to, 'cause, y'know, I go to a Catholic school... man the @#$% I have to put up with from some people...

lain2k3
Jul 15, 2003, 09:36 PM
On 2003-07-15 18:36, ABDUR101 wrote:
In most cases, it is not the religion that says "Go make everyone beleive this", it is the people mis-interpretting it and using it for their own ends which causes the problem.

Islam does not say force everyone to beleive, infact it says to not intrude upon anyone else's beleif, do not harass them, do not mock their beleifs and do not act unkind to them because they beleive differently. Only to fight if attacked, to defend the innocent, whether they are beleivers or not and to make sure everyone is taken care of, regardless of their beleif.

Are those commands followed by everyone? No. Does that make the religion bad, because some of the followers don't truely follow? No.

Don't condemn the religion for the acts of idiots and people who only want to use it for power.

Ecch. The leaders in Islam are either dyslexic or...bad...yeah...

I'm not trying to condemn anyone, I just dont feel that religion, for the most part, practices what it teaches.(preaches?) and thats just not right.

ABDUR101
Jul 15, 2003, 11:36 PM
On 2003-07-15 19:36, lain2k3 wrote:
Ecch. The leaders in Islam are either dyslexic or...bad...yeah...

They're the minority, right?

I'm not trying to condemn anyone, I just dont feel that religion, for the most part, practices what it teaches.(preaches?) and thats just not right.

Can't blame the religion for the followers not following it correctly.

Kid_Icarus
Jul 16, 2003, 12:11 AM
On 2003-07-15 21:36, ABDUR101 wrote:
Can't blame the religion for the followers not following it correctly.

And following a religion correctly is open to debate as well. There's no wrong or right as long as you believe in your faith.

Nerd
Jul 16, 2003, 02:21 AM
I love God and someday i'll read his book. For now ill settle on the movie adaptation http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bart
Jul 16, 2003, 02:34 AM
On 2003-07-15 14:31, Garanz2 wrote:
I'm athiest. I don't mind religion, but i prefer not to follow it. I just hate it when people try to impose their religion on you (jehova's witnesses etc)

You got that right. As far as this subject goes I got see it or experiance it to believe in something.

pixelate
Jul 16, 2003, 03:54 AM
Uh, I went to a Christian school for preschool kindergarten. So...I beleive in the Easter Bunny, I suppose.

AUTO_
Jul 16, 2003, 03:58 AM
On 2003-07-16 01:54, pixelate wrote:
Uh, I went to a Christian school for preschool kindergarten. So...I beleive in the Easter Bunny, I suppose.

So many books got it screwed up that nobody knows his color anymore.

Ness
Jul 16, 2003, 06:55 AM
On 2003-07-15 09:01, Jehosaphaty wrote:

haha yeah thats it. im curious as to where u got ur statistics and such. evidently u dont know many real Christians. we arent the kind of people who are mindless drones thank u very much. ur offensiveness towards ones beliefs arent appriciated.

For your information, I used to be a Christian and a pretty strong one at that... up until I read the Bible and realized what was really going on.

Also have you read the Bible and do you believe it 100%? I read the Bible part in a book somewhere, and I learned about the 30% thing from church (when I used to go).

I got the drone thing because many Christians say that they beleive the Bible, but they haven't read it. These are also the people that lash out at others for not believing it. How can you believe something you haven't even read?

rena-ko
Jul 16, 2003, 08:00 AM
the bible (old testament) had a good intension but was used to mislead the uneducated people for centuries.

i think if everyone would follow the 10 commandments, the world would be a paradise. but thats a wishful dream i think.
but since some people simply have to be different, not everyone would follow that. so it never would work, i guess.

but nonetheless i picked 'atheist is the way to be', since its just the way i think of christianity.

then...
if the christian god really would (still) exist, then he or she wouldn't be so blunt and strike disobeying people with a thunderbolt or something. its more like getting them killed in an accident or something. cancer, a braintumour.
or... he or she views earth as a training and kills people who are good so they can go to heaven earlier?

its not my point of view because reality shows that things make no sense in any way. so either there was never such a thing as a god, or he or she doesn't care for earth anymore. who knows who cares. i think people should concentrate on a different things like caring for the environment or for other people in general. overcome things like groupthinking (racism, nationalism and so on and so forth).

hm... i got off topic, i guess?
just my 2 cents...

Ness
Jul 16, 2003, 01:23 PM
Theologians say that if God truly gave us fell will then he couldn't answer most of our prayers. Like God could not stop Saddom from nuking part of the US because that would be intervening on our free will.

Garanz2
Jul 16, 2003, 06:03 PM
I know this is a bit off-topic but as homer simpson once said:

"WOW! God is so in your face! he's my favorite fictional character."

Sorry, I couldn't resist quoting that. But seriously, society is taking a worse approach to god all the time, with wars and drugs and stuff, not to mention films like 'bruce almighty' and 'the man who sued god'.

I think that the whole purpose of religion - to give people hope and something to believe in - has become totally distorted as time has gone by. As has been already mentioned, think about the crusades...

EDIT: It all just seems so pointless

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garanz2 on 2003-07-16 16:04 ]</font>

Gestiv
Jul 16, 2003, 06:10 PM
If you've ever seen the Futurama ep. where Bender is lost in space and finds the All-Knowing All-Seeing Being you'd know how it is. God only performs subtle interventions and miracles; So that way the people still have something to believe in but don't pray to Him all the time asking for favors and miracles. It's all very simple.

Jehosaphaty
Jul 16, 2003, 06:58 PM
On 2003-07-16 04:55, Ness wrote:
For your information, I used to be a Christian and a pretty strong one at that... up until I read the Bible and realized what was really going on.

hmm...how could you be a strong Christian and then read the Bible and all of a sudden think its a bunch of bunk? the Bible is the Christian religion. read it, and you have what you need.

I got the drone thing because many Christians say that they beleive the Bible, but they haven't read it. These are also the people that lash out at others for not believing it. How can you believe something you haven't even read?

I will agree that many people "consider" themselves Christians, but really have no idea what they are talking about. as for the lashing out, i dont know, because i havent encountered too many of these people as of late. and....i do believe because i have read the Bible, tho im assuming the comment made about believing somthing you havent read wasnt directed towards me.

anyways...thats my two mesetas worth. i do believe in God, and do mess up more than my fair share, but i believe that Christ died for my sins on the cross, and knowing that, ive repented. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

a little verse for those who care...
Romans 10:9--That is you confess with your mouth that "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
~i really like that verse

Gestiv
Jul 16, 2003, 07:14 PM
Amen. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jehosaphaty
Jul 16, 2003, 08:44 PM
On 2003-07-16 17:14, Gestiv wrote:
Amen. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

times 2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

NodMan
Jul 17, 2003, 01:25 AM
On 2003-07-16 00:21, Nerd wrote:
I love God and someday i'll read his book. For now ill settle on the movie adaptation http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If you want a movie adaptation go and rent Dogma!

Night_Shadow
Jul 17, 2003, 01:11 PM
Some of the laws and rules in the bible are from Jewish people who interpereted what they thought God wanted into the the bible. I have a question though. How do we kill other people by driving,eating, sleeping and crapping

Evangelon
Jul 17, 2003, 02:55 PM
On behalf of all true christians, if you knew any thing about our religion, you would know that the commandments werent made to punish us but to show us that we are not perfect and we need God's love and help.

Thank you for your time.

TheWhiteShadow
Jul 17, 2003, 02:56 PM
On 2003-07-16 18:44, Jehosaphaty wrote:

On 2003-07-16 17:14, Gestiv wrote:

times 2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

3 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ABDUR101
Jul 17, 2003, 03:02 PM
..should I throw an Allahu Akbar in here somewhere? o_O

Gestiv
Jul 17, 2003, 04:07 PM
Go ahead. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Why would God kill us for not following the commandments, anyway? He knows the human race is more than a little fallible, He wouldn't kill us for that. Everyone makes mistakes, and He knows that.

phasma
Jul 17, 2003, 08:05 PM

Utterly. It'd be good to discuss, properly, a topic like this with someone like you, dood. Eh, well.