PDA

View Full Version : Seeing the light (IT BURNS, IT BURNS!!)

WarSong
Jul 16, 2003, 11:57 PM
In my experiance, there have been many a gamer who has been lost in online games for many hours a day for days, weeks on end, pausing only for bodily functions and obligations that tear them from their platform of choice. It seems to me that the internet itself, maybe even life at it's purest, is nothing more than a multiplayer game.. food for thought perhaps.
I personally enjoy going to art galleries, wine and cheese tastings, cinema, even just window shopping with the right company, my fiance agrees with me. (cept the wine, she dun allow me to touch da booze.. i miss da booze, it got me drunk..)
I just find it odd that so many gamers have a reputation for being so shy and reclusive, pale organic beings whos humanity seems purely genetic at times. Heck, Dol and myself at one time played pso outdoors all the time, when we had a portable tv..
To that point I put forth this:
Why don't you go outside?

Nerd
Jul 17, 2003, 12:20 AM
This is a cute poll. People make me stay indoors. Everytime I'm out walking somewhere (not because i can't DRIVE something, just for exercise purposes) someone has to shout something uncalled for or obscene at me as they drive or walk by. How comfortable do you think i feel after a couple years of that?

Dangerous55
Jul 17, 2003, 12:22 AM
I do go outside. Suck on that fatty.

Nerd
Jul 17, 2003, 12:28 AM
On 2003-07-16 22:22, Dangerous55 wrote:
I do go outside.

can i....touch you...just once..?

Dangerous55
Jul 17, 2003, 12:48 AM
On 2003-07-16 22:28, Nerd wrote:

can i....touch you...just once..?

Who wants to touch me, I said who wants to fuckin touch me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you know what thats from you get muffin.

Nerd
Jul 17, 2003, 12:58 AM
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

can i touchie nowie?

b.t.w. im scared of myself, im not as PALE! darn summer sun!

LamerPanda
Jul 17, 2003, 01:38 AM
EVIL DEATH BEES. ;___;

*dives under a couch*

Then again the roaches and centipedes inside aren't a great improvement... but at least they'll stand still long enough for me to smack them.

pixelate
Jul 17, 2003, 01:45 AM
On 2003-07-16 21:57, WarSong wrote:
Why don't you go outside?

Constant 100+ degree weather, leading to stinky people.

ginko990
Jul 17, 2003, 01:57 AM
Its hot out, But while I dont....."play" outside i do leave the house often.

Kizaragu
Jul 17, 2003, 06:40 AM
I'd go outside a lot more if the area I lived wasn't so rough. I Seriousely know of at least 3 drug dealers who live within a couple meers of me.
Plus when I was younger I peed off alot of the Chard 'Hards'(Hard!? Don't make me laugh...) so that makes me a bit uncomfortable.
The only time I tend to leave the house is to go meet the few friends in my town (All the others involve travelling by bus. Where I live is out in the Sticks), Go to work, Or If I want a Chicken and Mushroom Pie. (drool... Hurry up Payday!)

If I moved out (which I can't afford. Man I can't EVEN Drive yet!) I think I would venture outside alot more.

Hunter4life
Jul 17, 2003, 08:31 AM
I have naturally pale skin. Not really white, but slightly more pale than everyone else. As for the social life...I'm usually doing something every other day.

WarSong
Jul 17, 2003, 08:31 AM
it just seems like the majority of us here (the
psychopath who doesn't wanna get touched is exempt)
actually have no real reason to go outside, i was
considering that it may have been, like, a life
style choice or something.

of course, i'd also assumed that most pso gamers
were age 18+, seems i'm really off there.. man i
feel old.

the world is going to hell, an i gots da keys to da.. wait wheres my driver's license? i can't leave with out my driver's license!

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 11:10 AM
Well, when you live in a town with NOWERE to go, you tend to stay inside a lot. That doesn't mean that i don't have a social life.

Dangerous55
Jul 17, 2003, 12:33 PM
Oh Im pale, but thats more cause of my Irishness.

Daikarin
Jul 17, 2003, 12:45 PM
It's kinda boring. Still, I know what you mean. Going out is very healthy, but I wish I could have the fun I have on PSO on real life.
I used to stay indoors a lot as a teen, due to my shy behaviour. As a teen I used to develop some kind of mood when playing too much, in which I wouldn't be myself. A geek, if you would say.
Luckily most of that is gone, I realised my life couldn't be inside that TV screen. And THEN I found someone.
You just have to go out and live life as if it were a game.

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 01:02 PM
then you get a job at subway the store on Pioneer 2

ABDUR101
Jul 17, 2003, 02:39 PM
No transportation, no place to go(aside from work, which I enjoy), annoying people in the local area, anything that stings and darts at me in a quick motion, the hot humid weather.

All of those. If it weren't so hot out, I'd gladly go for walks and do more outside since I live in the country, but I'll be damned if I'm going outside and getting icked with sweat after 5 minutes. >=|

Digi-Dolphin
Jul 17, 2003, 02:57 PM
let me give you this, right now dol is on the cube, kickin ass and lovin it, and me, i want to go out and do something, but we've got a road trip planned this weekend so i have to go light on the gas and cash, even then, as soon as i finish this post, i'm gonna go outside and get me some sun!

WarSong
Jul 17, 2003, 03:42 PM
grr, i keep forgetting to check if i'm logged in or dol is, thats the second time i posted under her account by accident..
finish with cleaning the car out, now i need a recycling center for all these cheap soda cans.

Nai_Calus
Jul 17, 2003, 03:49 PM
I don't get out much. This is for several reasons.

One: Even though I'll be 20 later this year, I still don't know how to drive. I live with my mother, who is a very frightening and often abusive woman with a hair-trigger temper who drives like a maniac, and I thus have an utterly irrational fear of cars.

Two: I'm anti-social. I guess I'm a nice enough person, but actually meeting people face-to-face instead of via a computer... I don't know, for some reason it just completely fucks me up. I can't make eye contact, I can't get anything to actually come out of my mouth, I look like I'm trying to disappear and I -am- trying to do just that, and in general being around people IRL just totally messes me up and turns me into some reclusive afraid of people thing. o_O; Sometimes I wish I were a computer so I wouldn't ever have to actually do that. X_X Don't think my boyfriend would like it much, though, although then again, we knew eachother for two or three years before we ever actually met, and now that I'm not going to college there anymore, we're back to just talking on the computer. I might as well be one, for all the good being human does me. >P

Three: I have no social skills. I try, but it doesn't work very well. I supposedly have Asperger's Syndrome, which supposedly explains that, but I dunno how much of that stuff I believe in. *shrug*

Four: Pasty white skin. Actually, it doesn't look that pasty and white, I've seen people with far paler and whiter than mine that actually leave the house. My problem is this: I burn. Easily. Quickly. I don't tan, freckle, or anything. I just -burn-. Just five minutes of strong sun is enough to turn me a nice shade of red.

Five: I'm too damn fat and ugly and tall. I'm 6'3 and usually somewhere around 275-300lbs. I wear a women's size 24 or so, which makes clothes that don't look like they're for some old woman or some slutty teenager who's 5'4 and 350lbs. Hideous floral print tents or low-rise jeans and spaghetti strap tanks. Yuck. I prefer jeans and t-shirts, but it's almost impossible to find just plain normal ones. I don't want a v-neck or shoulder pads. ;_; I wear a size 11 1/2 Men's shoe, I don't bother with women's shoes because I have wide feet and they never fit. My entire wardrobe consists of jeans that are wearing out between the thighs, old t-shirts and beat-up shoes I've had for years. It's not that my mother can't afford to buy new clothes, it's just that she almost never does. I've given up on trying to look decent, my clothes are always going to look like crap, and I also have no heat tolerance and my mother doesn't believe in air conditioning, prefering to open the windows on a 105 degree day when it's humid and the air is dead still. X_X I sweat easily, and no amount or variety of deodorant works. It's disgusting and it drives me insane, but there's nothing I can do about it... >_<

...Yeah, I've got a friggin' ton of issues and I do hate myself, yes. X_X; I swear, sometimes I really -do- wish I weren't human. -_-

So. Um. Yeah. I don't go outside unless it can't be avoided.

Kizaragu
Jul 17, 2003, 07:34 PM
Ian-KunX, Normally I'd make some sarcastic comment like 'You have some seriouse isssues' but to be honest I Feel the same way! You go Girl.

WarSong
Jul 17, 2003, 08:54 PM
I can't say i feel sorry for anyone, pity isn't something i do easily, it requires trust.

i would like to suggest something for you, but nothing comes to mind, i'm 5'6 pushing 300 myself, i'm a big guy and i'm proud of it, and i hate people, hell i don't even like forums, this one just doesn't seem to suffer from the drama the ones i'm usually in do, this place was neutral.

one suggestion, be more aggressive, but reserved, show people just how deeply slow waters run, you'll attract some of those fake ass goth types (in contrast to real goths) who'll think your the shit, use that to boost your ego to a healthy level and work from there, see if you can't drag the fak-a-goths out with you.

WarSong
Jul 17, 2003, 08:57 PM
btw cute sprite ikx

LamerPanda
Jul 17, 2003, 09:21 PM
On 2003-07-17 13:49, Ian-KunX wrote:

*insert pretty much entire post here*

I'm not going to keep the whole thing, scroll up if you want to know what I'm replying to. O_o

That's really creepy. XD

I'm afraid of cars, and my mom is afraid of driving; she has panic disorder, not an actual fear of driving itself, but I'm scared of driving because... people are evil? >_> First lesson I got honked at twice because I suck at turning and I'd take forever. I'm waiting until I move out into the sticks or something because cities are lame. =P

I really don't like talking to people. ._o Not at all. I never know what to say, I hate eye contact, I prefer to just be left alone. They were going to label me as Asperger's, but they couldn't find any repetitive activity I had. The doctor said something about this one girl she had being a textbook case, doing nothing but watching anime, playing video games, and doing things on the computer. I said nothing. O_o

I wear men's shoes because I can't find women's shoes, though I think I'm only 10 and a half men's. I'm only 5'9" and I need to lose a few pounds, but since I have stupid plastic rings stuck between my teeth at the moment it hurts to eat, that problem should be resolved pretty quickly. >_> Lost 4.5 pounds already in 3 days, whoo? A week or two more and I'll be set.

The only clothes I like are t-shirts and jeans, since otherwise all the clothes I find are either covered in flowers and frills or show 99% of my skin.

You're in good company here, at least. O_o

Guile
Jul 17, 2003, 09:37 PM
I never get to just sit and play games or go online much anymore due to work, life, goin out, and woman.

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 09:57 PM
I wish I can... win the lottery or something. So i can be lazy the rest of my life

Aredhel
Jul 17, 2003, 10:48 PM
Wow, you guys are really pouring your souls into this post - nothing wrong with it, but it's just a big change from the normal internet anonymity (sp?!)

My excuse - no car. It's not that I don't go out, it's just that I would go out a lot more if I had my own vehicle; those things are expensive you know! I'm standardly not the type to inconvenience anyone, so if there's somewhere I want to go, I'll just wait until the opportunity arises instead of asking to go anywhere now.

During the day though, I float around the swimming pool, so I'm not really all that pasty - though I do have a naturally fair complexion (Welsh, Irish, etc...)

I make it a point to leave the house atleast 5 times a week, 3 of which are going to TaeKwonDo, which brings me to my next subject. All of you who say you're unhappy with your body - take up the martial arts! They do wonderful things for your health, and give you the muscles you need to stand up on land! ROFL! Sorry, but seriosly consider it as part of dieting before you immediately jump into something intensive like running or biking, and burn yourself out on hard exercise - martial arts tend to be a much slower process, but over time your reflexes improve, as does your stamina, heart rate, etc.. Seek kickboxing classes/cardio karate at a local Recreation center- give it a try. Catch health before it slips too far away from you, even if you don't see immediate results, or don't start looking better, there's not much doubt that you will certainly be much healthier than if you sit around avoiding the sun all day http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Happy Self-esteem everyone!

Gestiv
Jul 18, 2003, 05:28 PM
I don't need transportation right now... This summer is pure relaxation! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I worked hard to get this far, and I don't have a job yet, so I'm keeping this summer nice and easy before I'm thrown into the turmoil that is High School. I'll go out w/ my family to the movies or if my parents have errands so I can get outside (and listen to my CDs in the car http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) , but I too am naturally fair-skinned. I'm not incredibly pale or anything... I just burn if I'm in the sun for too long w/o lotion. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif And weight isn't really a problem (I'm a big guy, I'm 5'11 and weigh about 170...and I'm only 14 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) , but I go to the gym and I'm playing football this fall, so most of the weight is muscle, anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif .... I just realized something... I love me! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: forgot about my skin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gestiv on 2003-07-18 15:30 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jul 18, 2003, 06:56 PM
On 2003-07-17 18:57, WarSong wrote:
btw cute sprite ikx

Thanks for the support, guys, I feel better now. ^^ *hugs all around* Now let's break out the SPF 5 trillion sunblock and go have a picnic. ^_-;

Glad you like the sprite, WarSong. Edited it off a sprite of a HUmar from some Japanese website that got linked to in a thread ages ago in Fan Works that I wound up coming across whilst poking around. They happened to have the particular costume I use for Ian-Kun done(Pity they didn't have a FOmar one with either of the costumes I use for my FOmars, oh well), so I took it into PSP and edited it to have a dark brown ponytail and green eyes and drew in Fluffy. ^^; Editing sprites is a hobby of mine, I've done entire FFVI spritesets of characters of mine from other things before. X_x; FFVI characters have a lot of sprites, so it takes a while to do that. Yike.

s.TiNgEr
Jul 18, 2003, 07:02 PM
X________x

eek! Long posts!! Ack! *dies*

Obscenity
Jul 18, 2003, 07:07 PM
Maybe we should organize a psoworld party or picnic or something. =D

Digi-Dolphin
Jul 21, 2003, 11:50 PM
Ooh! Picnic! I'll bring the rifles! I hear Rappy burgers are all the rage on Ragol....

Seriously, I love playing PSO as much as the next dude or dudette (girl gamer alert!), but I gotta get out and do other stuff too. That doesn't mean I stop playing though. I just drag my GBA along and play Golden Sun Lost Age or MegaMan Battle Network 3 Blue. You can take the girl away from the game, but you can't take the game away from the girl...not unless you wanna eat tonight. LOL ^.^

Kent
Jul 22, 2003, 07:23 AM
While the fact that people actually exist is rather disturbing, I have a social life. My friends and I discuss how disturbing it is that we and other people exist...