PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that thinks V1 was the best PSO ever?

Uncle_bob
Jul 17, 2003, 03:04 AM
I really miss V1! It was actually fun, unlike V2 and Ep1&2! Fo techs were actually balanced, Fonewms weren't doing 500 more damage with rafoie than everyone else, BKB didn't exist, MOME could actually die in that one quest....

Casts and Caseals could actually solo areas and quests without needing some uber level of s/d/j/z. Weapon %'s were just fine, weapons like the photon claw and double saber were actually useful, Fomarls were more than just being the s/d bitches that they are now.

And everyone wasn't an asshole item whore, EVERYONE wanted to help the team... I miss V1 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DAMN YOU V2! DAMN YOU EP1&2! DAMN YOU EP3! >:o

Getintothegame
Jul 17, 2003, 03:19 AM
Rant away.
But... I preferr traps.

FinalHell
Jul 17, 2003, 03:41 AM
HaHa. PSOX. Voice Chat. Cool. Period. Heh. Ok. Thats. Enough. Now. Ok. STOP. ...

eXo
Jul 17, 2003, 03:55 AM
I would have to consider PSo v 1 the best, just because at that time i had never experienced anything like it before. The besides for the respect level and helpfulness that has disappeared in the later versions, everything else seems to be surperior the only reason most people including myself sometimes find themselves complaining about something, is because we managed to raise them expectation bar way to high at some point http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

rena-ko
Jul 17, 2003, 03:56 AM
you completely miss the point, final hell.

after a bit of thought, i kinda agree with uncle_bob - v.1 was a good game. i dont really like ultimate mode, to be honest.

then again, i dont want to go back.

some weeks before v2 hit the shelfes in germany, i hit lvl 100 with my first chara in v1 - that was the end actually... and i didnt like it (thats why i dont aim at 200 now, in no way).

yes, techs are too strong now, forces are the easiest class to play (if tweaked right), but then again, its quite different online. and i wonder what my fomarl will be once she hits ultimate.

hm...

saffaya
Jul 17, 2003, 05:57 AM
Count me in.
I too consider v1 as my fav iteration of the game.
Lacking a bit more specialization between forces, but overall very balanced and enjoyable.

I will never, ever believe that v2 was designed by the same people who did v1.
Ultimate v2 is such a mockery of good design and balance.

-STE-
Jul 17, 2003, 06:44 AM
V1 was the best for me for lot of reason.
I metted very special friends.
And things of the games was all new now ep I II or v2 Dc was only porting very good game but not had the same sensation like v1.

Golden_Force
Jul 17, 2003, 07:44 AM
I have to dissent. Episode 1 and 2 are a major step above V1. Forces may appear uber strong, adn they are, but it takes quite a bit of work to get them there, and anyway, magic casters in all games are suppose to be teh most difficult and most supportive and most damaging palyers, and ST did a great job of doing that. At the same time, fighters are suppose to be able to tear things appart without the need of support from a billion different tricks, and they can. At the same point, Rangers are suppose to be somewhat of a balance between teh two, a good damage at long tech range, and ST did an uber job there too. Going to level 200 is a difficult job, more difficult than level 100, which was just too easy and ended the game. If you don't like Ultimate, you don't have to play there, but it is a great challenge for players with a good change in scenery. I think teams are mcuh better in Episode 1 and 2, more people have a greater ability to contribute. It isn't just, bots go and bash the hell out of things and Forces s/d j/z. Now there are opportunities for a variety of strategies.

Valleo
Jul 17, 2003, 09:56 AM
I dont know what your talking about. Sure, when V1 came out I was alot more excited that any of the other releases, and it was where most of us had our first and most memorable PSO experiences. But to me, the game has been so much more improved from V1.

Take into account the following;

-Classes more balanced and restricted. Whats the fun in playing a Ranger when every hunter could use the Spread needle? Whats the point of playing a force when Hunters and Rangers can use techs up to the same level 15 you can, including Grants, Reverser and Megid?

-Challenge and Battle mode.

-Visible changes, bolth visible armor and the 9 star weapons. And dont forget the dressing room.

-Did you forget the widespread use of Gamesharks and Codebreakers? Hacking is one thing but I refuse to deal with "code kiddies" ever again. Whats worse? Rampant duping or rampant Noling?

-Dropping weapons when you die sucks. So does backtracking to activate pillars.

-You say that now Forces are too strong but it takes a lot of work to get them there. Let me tell you that without twinking it takes a while before playing a force is easy.

-The one think I hated most about PSO on the Dreamcast were all the Japanese only quests that we never got, though that may have been more V2.

I could go on and on but I think what youre remembering more of the experience of playing PSO for the first time than the actual games. The only thing I think V1 had over episode 1 and 2 was no corruption and no HL fee. But to be honest, even the free HL had its drawbacks. I remember that when V2 came out, all the clowns that played just to hack werent willing to pay to play V2, and stayed on V1, which tells me that sometimes HL's can be a good thing. Its still expensive though.

Daikarin
Jul 17, 2003, 10:00 AM
You're right, back on PSO V.1 things were a hell of a lot different, since everyone was pratically a newbie and cared less about hacks (at least on the beggining).

But still, PSO EP I & II is my favorite version.

ginko990
Jul 17, 2003, 10:30 AM
v1 > all

LunarShadowX
Jul 17, 2003, 12:49 PM
In terms of the quality of the people, version one was definitely better. I miss so many people from version one that I use to play with. Anyways, version one was indeed great, other than the fact that yes, reaching level 100 signified that the game was over for you. As for whether it was better than the current PSO, I really do not know. They are pretty even if you ask me.

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 12:54 PM
I prefer GC version. Ep1 and Ep2.

phasma
Jul 17, 2003, 01:10 PM
can't ever beat those first few, untainted weeks on ver1 pso. everything was so fresh and new, and those huge photon swords from the caves made me drool. i was the envy of my only other online friend (whom purchased the game with me)....

*sigh* and now it's crappier..

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 02:11 PM
On 2003-07-17 01:04, Uncle_bob wrote:
I really miss V1! It was actually fun, unlike V2 and Ep1&2! Fo techs were actually balanced, Fonewms weren't doing 500 more damage with rafoie than everyone else, BKB didn't exist, MOME could actually die in that one quest....

Casts and Caseals could actually solo areas and quests without needing some uber level of s/d/j/z. Weapon %'s were just fine, weapons like the photon claw and double saber were actually useful, Fomarls were more than just being the s/d bitches that they are now.

And everyone wasn't an asshole item whore, EVERYONE wanted to help the team... I miss V1 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DAMN YOU V2! DAMN YOU EP1&2! DAMN YOU EP3! >:o

And if you are tired of Rafoie users, than use Rafoie yourself

xovinu
Jul 17, 2003, 02:52 PM
My memories of version 1:

Worrying about thieves stealing your weapon and meseta.

Wishing I never hit level 100 so early with my first character because of all the people that would flame me claiming I used a gameshark.

People whoring every single yellow and blue box since any one of them could have been a rare.

Trap search, state maintenance, unlimited material usage, and no class restrictions on techniques made it pointless to play as anything but a HUmar or HUnewearl unless you wanted a challenge.

Malkavian
Jul 17, 2003, 02:57 PM
Ugh no... non choice search. Non ignore. non Y menu. Non fast tech usage menu. Non fast weapon change. A lot less weapons. Non battle mode. non challenge mode...

I played PSO v1 only 3-4 months then I passed to JP ver2. There is where I had the best PSO times. I recognize Episode 162 is better but there is fewer people and Im a bit bored of PSO already

Neoluke12
Jul 17, 2003, 02:58 PM
I THINK V1 IS THE BEST
WHOO WHOO WHOO
GO ON V1 UR THE BEST
YOU CAN BEAT V2 AND ANYTHING ELSE
GO V1

AppieDPC
Jul 17, 2003, 03:23 PM
V1 was cool, but for me it was just cause it was something completly new. The whole experience of a game online with mates. I actually miss that complete n00bness of me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
As for the game that V1 was no balance in characters
(HUmar owned all) and others did too though they were not as powerfull as a HUmar. V2 tried to make up for that error in no balance but couldn't complete it's mission completly cause it was still linked to the V1 rules. Ep1&2 got a chance to start completly from scratch, result: completly balanced chars. It is good that Androids NEED S&D online to do some good damage and not just MORE DAMAGE like on V1. It brings more teamplay and gives a force in your team a good use. Dreamteam on V1 was four HU(mars) now it is at least brought down to three or two HU (might want a ranger for some long range action or frozen shooter?) and a force. By the way I am talkin for ultimate of course, because unlinke V1 the highest difficulty remains fun even if you are lv200. Vh on the DC you owned it when you were just lv 60 (or less). Vh is still too dead easy on Ep1&2 if you ask me. By the way damage of forces sucked and still does if you ask me. I mean I have a Fonewearl with 1400+ mst and Psycho Wand and Red Merge and my Rafoie does 300-400 or something, that compared to the average damage of a Hunter (600-900) with just some basic % on the wep (so not talking the 100% photon spheres dupes here)
So forces still dont do much damage. Megid owns CCA and Seabed though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
By the way all the shit I just said here is based on online damage and stuff
Offline my FOnewearl kicks harder http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
And getting a char to its max lv is at least a task now unlinke on V1. Lv100 is just one week of leveling on DC (and then I'm not even trying to level fast (no kidding) or being a show off, it is true)
And yes on V2/NGC you can get lv 100 within a week too, dead easy but at least on v2 and NGC when you are lv 100 you are only half way to the "goal"
So for me V1 was good but not because of the game that it was. If I look just at the game: Ep1&2 owns them all and in my book is the game what V1 WAS SUPPOSED to be.

_brainchild
Jul 17, 2003, 03:41 PM
Is twinking where you give a high level Mag to a low level character? I'm a newbie on the forums and am trying to catch on.

Anyways, Version 1 had it's perks, however I like how the classes are more clearly defined. It may be kind of a downer at first when I saw that my HUmar couldn't learn Shifta, but hey I guess I didn't have to worry about trying to keep myself flashing red all the time. This way, like people said, a Force has something over any other magic weilding Hunter or Ranger. Also, now the Androids finally have something that their fleshy counterparts don't, besides the high stats of course. The traps don't make up for the loss of techniques, but they're useful at least.

Ultimate is great. It's a challange, even if you're at a high level the enemies tend to have ways to kill you anyways. For instance when a Crimson Assassin sneaks up on you.

Getting your character to level 100 may have ended the game for some of you, but a friend of mine did that and kept going looking for weapons, entirely offline. He was level 100 for a while before we finally got to go online. It takes some incredible Videogaming endurance to do that kind of thing though.

Then there's all these new weapons and changed appearances for some old ones. The new Dragon Slayer looks pretty badass to me.

Multiplayer mode! On the GameCube, multiplayer was the first time I ever went on a team with a few friends of mine. It's like online mode, except instead of having to worry about typing in "Help ME!" you can just say it out loud. Plus it's nice to use when you want to give some nice items you found on your Hunter character to your new Force.

One more thing, that isn't nearly as important, but nice nonetheless. The scenery has improved alot. Episode 1's levels look a little better, but Episode Two has some beautiful scenery. I've just stopped and stared at some of it a few times. I love the water effects in the Caves 2 and Seabed. If you get the chance, don't focus on looking for enemies, or if you have a HUnewearl take your eyes off of her for a second and look at some stuff. It's really awesome seeing the reflection of my HUmar in a window of the Seabed, weilding a Red Saber.