PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Live Action Movie Announced

Deathscythealpha
Jul 17, 2003, 06:44 PM
While trying to find an old site i visited years ago, i came across this little pocket of infomation:

Friday, June 13, 2003: Hasbro lets it be known to all that it has entered into Agreement with Movie Producers Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy for Full Length, Live Action Transformers Movie.

PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 11, 2003--Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) announced today that it entered into an agreement with the highly successful producers Tom DeSanto (X-Men and X2: X-Men United) and Don Murphy (currently producing 20th Century Fox's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) for a full length, live action movie based on Hasbro's enormously popular TRANSFORMERS brand.

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.transformerland.com/transformers-the-movie.html

But which generation will it be based on? Gen1, Beastwars, Armada even?

Lets hope they decide to remake the original Transformers the Movie, that was good good in its time but live action robots killing each other? *drool* But then youll have to sit through Optimus Prime dieing again, and would you be able to hold back the tears for a live action Prime dieing?

SC2
Jul 17, 2003, 07:15 PM
WOW!! ... S0UNDS... uh cool?

Kizaragu
Jul 17, 2003, 07:15 PM
Yet another 'Anime' (Is it?) up for a live production. When will this Madness end. Could be Good, But then again could suck terribly... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

mystic_knight
Jul 17, 2003, 08:14 PM
OMG next thing you know there will be a Reboot movie.

You could smack me with a trout and call me Sally. As a matter of fact, I'll do it myself http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif

Shoot me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ak.gif thank you ^_^

Allos
Jul 17, 2003, 08:25 PM
Yet another 'Anime' (Is it?) up for a live production.

To my knowledge The Transformers is an all American made cartoon. At least the 80's Transformers was.

s.TiNgEr
Jul 17, 2003, 10:31 PM
It sounds.... um.... cool?

Deathscythealpha
Jul 18, 2003, 07:18 AM
On 2003-07-17 18:25, Allos wrote:

To my knowledge The Transformers is an all American made cartoon. At least the 80's Transformers was.

Transformers the Movie was actually a co-production between Marvel of America and Toie Animations of japan, so i think its borderline anime.

Obscenity
Jul 18, 2003, 07:21 AM
On 2003-07-18 05:18, Deathscythealpha wrote:

On 2003-07-17 18:25, Allos wrote:

Transformers the Movie was actually a co-production between Marvel of America and Toie Animations of japan, so i think its borderline anime.

Transformers originated in Japan with Takara. Hasbro just had the US distribution rights. Maybe EU, too. Anyway, Transformers are way more Japanese than American.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 18, 2003, 07:34 AM
On 2003-07-18 05:21, Obscenity wrote:

Transformers originated in Japan with Takara. Hasbro just had the US distribution rights. Maybe EU, too. Anyway, Transformers are way more Japanese than American.

The toys originated from Japan with Takara, and where actually just a big compilation of transforming toys from other lines. These toys were licensed out to Hasbro who repackaged, sometimes repainted and renamed them for the americain market. The cartoon was done by the americains and the japanese got there own cartoon.

The licensing of other lines also raised some copyright issues. The Jetfire Transformer was actually just a Macross/Robotech Valkerie with autobot insignia on it, and resulted in that toy being pulled and a different version issued. Ive still got my Valkerie styled Jetfire up in my attic somewhere.

Obscenity
Jul 18, 2003, 07:48 AM
Ive still got my Valkerie styled Jetfire up in my attic somewhere.

Me too. =D
I have a few original Diakron/Diaclone toys somewhere, too.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 18, 2003, 07:54 AM
Its interesting looking at where some of the Transformers were actually borrowed from. If you look at the Dinobot and Insecticon toys, you will notice that they actually have cockpits! (Dinobots have those clear bits on there heads where you can see seats and controls inside and the Insecticons have pull down compartments on their cheasts).

Nidarrock
Jul 18, 2003, 09:55 AM
Sounds like this could be great(for fans) or a disaster. It all depends on the generation. I hope they go with the first. We shall see though.

Firocket1690
Jul 18, 2003, 09:57 AM
*sigh*
not many of these movies really get made ...

a while back ...

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - I was one of the few who liked it

Mortal Kombat - decent

underrated ...

Allow me to remind you that they started a TEKKEN movie and we have not heard much about it ...
AND the KINGDOM HEARTS movie has been planned
damn, I luv KH ^_~

Twadz060
Aug 3, 2003, 05:28 PM
That movie would be awesome if the computer graphics on the transformers themselves were good, but i dunno

Para
Aug 3, 2003, 06:13 PM
transformers is a huge classic which got revived through beast wars.

Beast Wars|Beasties (canadian name) (Mainframe IS a canadian company, they just preferred to give canadians their own show name instead of going with beast wars lol) is one of the best series ive seen.

The best episode was Dinobot's sacrifice to protect the proto humans (apes or whatever).

ssephiroth_da_hunter
Aug 3, 2003, 10:39 PM
Only two outcomes can come out of a TRansformers live action movie. It can be really crappy or really good. Like the live action Street Fighter movie (God was that movie crappy) everyone hated it, I think. But it would be nice t osee giant robots killing each other.

satoshi1
Aug 3, 2003, 10:53 PM
On 2003-07-17 18:14, mystic_knight wrote:
OMG next thing you know there will be a Reboot movie.

I'd kill for one. As long as it wouldn't suck horribly. Heck, I'd just be glad to own all 4 or 5 or whatever seasons on DVD, that show kicked ass.

lordinviso
Aug 3, 2003, 10:58 PM
I hope its gen1. Gen1 is a classic I use to love watchin that as a kid. Armada is a lame addition of Transformers. And beast wars was ok until it became the transmetal section. And don't forget about the other season after beast wars but before armada that was terribly short. Anyways gen1 all the way. Can't wait to learn more about it.

Reboot would be a cool movie too... And don't forget about Lupin the 3rd (I heard they are making one, from adult swim).

Para
Aug 3, 2003, 11:16 PM
REboot would be interesting... SINCE MAINFRAME DECIDED TO STOP SEASON 4 AFTER like... 5 episodes?!?! omg.... thats so mean to the fans...

Kent
Aug 3, 2003, 11:58 PM
Oh yes, everyone prepare for Power Rangers-style giant robot fights... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

On 2003-07-18 07:57, Firocket1690 wrote:
AND the KINGDOM HEARTS movie has been planned
damn, I luv KH ^_~

Please tell me you have more info on this, Kingdom Hearts is the best PS2 game yet.