PDA

View Full Version : Possible way of telling a legit apart from a dupe?

Cecil_McW00t
Jul 18, 2003, 01:11 AM
Ok, don't flame me but a friend of mine just called me and told me something wierd he noticed. OK, he wanted me to get him a Dark Flow so I went to Vega and just traded for one (sadly easy to get lol). Obviously it's a dupe, I saw the same percents before. Now fast forward to just a few moments ago and he calls me up to tell me that he may have found a way to tell a dupe apart from a legit item.

He told me that Dark Flow did not cast a shadow. I found this to be very wierd. Then he said that an uber Yamigarasu may be legit cause it cast a shadow. After hearing this I grabbed a bunch of weaps that I suspect may be dupes from my bank. I equipped all the stuff I had found legit and they all had shadows. But when I equipped a Final Impact someone just gave to me, no shadow!

Can any of you try this? If you have a legit Final Impact that you found, try equipping it and telling me if it casts a shadow or not. Or a Red Sword. He has a legit Red Sword and it casts a shadow.

eXo
Jul 18, 2003, 01:21 AM
hmm interesting im going to tey this now.

Nightmarexlc
Jul 18, 2003, 01:52 AM
Yeah folks, this is quite possiblly a way to tell... My brother was using his final impact a lil' while ago and I have to say... I saw it's shadow! I know that it's the real deal, I saw the love rappy drop it with my own two eyes!

I checked some more of my weapons, I've got about two dupes so far!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nightmarexlc on 2003-07-17 23:55 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Jul 18, 2003, 02:38 AM
!!

hmmm ... this prolly because the 'copied' one doesn't have the full original code or something .... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bday.gif

Cecil_McW00t
Jul 18, 2003, 02:40 AM
Yeah, maybe its linked to the unique number on your guild card? Maybe when an item is duped, the duped item loses that code or gets it altered somehow.

BOmar
Jul 18, 2003, 06:21 AM
Some guy on Polaris just gave me a BKB +80, which I assume is a dupe and it is casting a shadow for the attack animation :s

HayatoShi
Jul 18, 2003, 10:17 AM
All of my weapons including my favorite... TOY HAMMER... cast shadows! My EVIL CURST casts a shadow as well. So that is very well the real deal.

HatakeKakashi
Jul 18, 2003, 10:41 AM
So if the code is altered doesnt that mean that someway sonicteam could somehow delete all the weapons with altered codes and there wouldnt be a single dupe left!? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If there is some way to scan for altered codes then delete them. I hope thats possible. Does NE1 know if this is possible? XD

HayatoShi
Jul 18, 2003, 10:50 AM
NO! Never will... And Never Will be it's impossible... SURE SEGA can do a Log-In check to incoming PSOers with dupes on their Item Pack and delete it that way (as those f@gs did to me in the DCPSOv2 game when I went online one day)... But it takes time. Besides... with the non-stop encounters of FSOD, who will be that idiotic to log on with 30 rares in their inventory... and SEGA don't normally do it unless EVERYONE was making a scene about items being "HACKED" Dupes aren't as a big hassle as they were back in the old days where you had to use CODES to use them online. And SEGA knows this time not to delete my items because it'll cost SEGA their PSO game... AGAIN. If my items were suddenly deleted anyway... I wouldn't fear... because NOL would return... but it's not gonna happen. And no one is getting NOLed because my items will ALWAYS stay within my game body mind heart and Soul.

HatakeKakashi
Jul 18, 2003, 10:59 AM
oic, so its possible but then things would get worse if they did do this.

HatakeKakashi
Jul 18, 2003, 11:00 AM
im referring to login deletion

Elvendar
Jul 18, 2003, 11:15 AM
If you're going to test your theory, at least do it the right way. Get two of the same weapon, one that you found yourself and one you duped. Equip each of them in turn and see if they cast shadows.

Second of all, why would anyone dupe a final impact? O.o

jediknight007
Jul 18, 2003, 11:40 AM
Are you sure? I have a Level 8 HUnewearl and have equipped a Saber +2 and it doesn't have a shadow and I can assure you that I'm 100% totally legit with this character. I have never traded with anyone online as well.

Elvendar
Jul 18, 2003, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah! Even if this did work, you wouldnt be able to tell apart rare units, armor, or shields. Hehe.

The_Hero_Of_Time
Jul 18, 2003, 12:07 PM
Its still a VERY god observation. I mean, how many other people have noticed this on their own?

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Jul 18, 2003, 12:08 PM
Get 'em Elvendar.

HayatoShi
Jul 18, 2003, 12:10 PM
On 2003-07-18 09:00, HatakeKakashi wrote:
im referring to login deletion

well you seen it happen.

Cecil_McW00t
Jul 18, 2003, 01:43 PM
Hmmm, I just equipped my Imperial Pick which I found with my HUne and there is no shadow. I guess this isn't how you tell. But whats up with the Final Impact thing? Mine has no shadow but my buddie's Impact does. And yeah, I don't know why a Final Impact would be duped. O_o

jediknight007
Jul 18, 2003, 01:44 PM
Well, I have a Sange & Yasha +30 which someone gave me for free and I couldn't resist! I think it's a dupe. It's 0/0/20/0. Anyways, I equipped it and it has a shadow so I think your theory may be incorrect. Unless I was actually lucky enough to have been given a 100% legit S&Y+30 for free!

HayatoShi
Jul 18, 2003, 02:09 PM
Well that settles it. The theory is just a goddam lie. So no more needs to be said.

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 03:02 PM
Lets end this stupid thread once and for all. here is another similiar thread on the subject:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=59241&forum=4&21

And I'll quote my response from that thread as well:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-07-18 08:53, HatakeKakashi wrote:
Today I entered a topic about how to tell if you have a duped item or not. You can tell because a dupe will not cast a shadow and a legit will. (I was very happy when i heard this) Sooooo the code must be altered in some way and in some way its not supposed to be altered.
So i was wondering if it would be possible for sonic team to scan and delete most of the duped items out there online. Its just that i heard that the gamecube version was made unpatchable because it would block most of the hacking. But would there be a possible way to do this without a patch? :S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhhhh I'm not sure where you heard that stupid theory from but its completely false. Both the legit item and the dupe contain the EXACT SAME GAME CODE. The game can't tell them apart. Both items cast a shadow. Don't believe me? Meet me online and I'll let you buy any weapon (i'll give you the money) and I'll make a ton of dupes from it, then we'll hot foot it down to Ragol and see whether or not they have shadows. BTW care to place a small wager on the fact that they do?

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 03:11 PM
What we need is for some ambitious person (maybe me, but I'm kinda lazy lol) to write up a thread that can be Stickied about the Facts and Myths of duped items. Obviously it would give no info on how to dupe, but rather basic understanding of the duped items. For example, Duped items:
1. Cast shadows
2. Are composed of the EXACT same game code
3. Do NOT cause corruption
4. Can't all be tracked down and deleted by ST.

There are many more, but I need to get lunch. Anyway it might stop all the stupid posts about the completely bogus shadow theory LOL.

Aurra
Jul 18, 2003, 03:12 PM
The missing shadow thing may be related to lag. It's definitely dependant on whether or not the item is a dupe or not, because what VioletSkye said. Dupes are exactly the same as legit items.

Aurra
Jul 18, 2003, 03:13 PM
On 2003-07-18 13:11, VioletSkye wrote:
What we need is for some ambitious person (maybe me, but I'm kinda lazy lol) to write up a thread that can be Stickied about the Facts and Myths of duped items.

That sounds like a job for Baru if he's willing, since he knows more about PSO and how it works than all of us put together http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 03:18 PM
On 2003-07-18 13:13, Aurra wrote:

What we need is for some ambitious person (maybe me, but I'm kinda lazy lol) to write up a thread that can be Stickied about the Facts and Myths of duped items.

That sounds like a job for Baru if he's willing, since he knows more about PSO and how it works than all of us put together http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That would be GREAT, but I doubt Baru would ever go to the trouble of doing that. Be nice if he/she would though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Also I have a friend on these forums who is tearing through game code as well and is quite familiar with it. In fact this person is making some killer progress in determining the exact drop rates for enemies and their specific items.

Cecil_McW00t
Jul 18, 2003, 03:39 PM
Look, I'm sorry if I pissed off anybody. A friend of mine called me and told me about and I tested out some of my weapons (I was offline by the way). I said possible, not that it was the plain truth. I just wanted to test it further to see if it was true or not. You can close this thread now for all I care.

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 04:20 PM
On 2003-07-18 13:39, Cecil_McW00t wrote:
Look, I'm sorry if I pissed off anybody. A friend of mine called me and told me about and I tested out some of my weapons (I was offline by the way). I said possible, not that it was the plain truth. I just wanted to test it further to see if it was true or not. You can close this thread now for all I care.

I don't think anyone was pissed off LOL. I just thought i would nip this rumor in the bud before it took off into some full fledged force of its own. Sorry if I sounded rude about it, I wasn't trying to. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif What happens sometimes is rumors get started and then all of a sudden we start seeing post after post about the same thing. I'm not accusing you of trying to start a rumor, it just happens all on its own LOL.

BOmar
Jul 18, 2003, 06:01 PM
What we need is for some ambitious person (maybe me, but I'm kinda lazy lol) to write up a thread that can be Stickied about the Facts and Myths of duped items. Obviously it would give no info on how to dupe, but rather basic understanding of the duped items. For example, Duped items:
1. Cast shadows

There are many more, but I need to get lunch. Anyway it might stop all the stupid posts about the completely bogus shadow theory LOL.

Someone should tell NGC about this, as they just put a guide to online PSO in their latest edition in which it said about duping causing FSOD's and upping your chances of corruption if carried or something like that.

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 06:19 PM
On 2003-07-18 16:01, BOmar wrote:

1. Cast shadows

Someone should tell NGC about this, as they just put a guide to online PSO in their latest edition in which it said about duping causing FSOD's and upping your chances of corruption if carried or something like that.

What else are they gonna say LOL. Of course they want people to fear duping. I have never been FSOD or corrupted and as you can see I have a MASSIVE amount of duped items. If you screw up the Item Shop dupe method there is a very good chance you can corrupt yourself. So that is true. But carrying large numbers of dupes doesn't affect your chances of being corrupted. Simply carrying lots of items in general (whether they be dupes or legit) does. I'm talking about in your chars inventory not the bank. Carry as few items as possible when you are not in a game. And always return your good stuff to the bank before leaving or exiting a game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-07-18 16:22 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 06:24 PM
On 2003-07-18 16:19, VioletSkye wrote:

On 2003-07-18 16:01, BOmar wrote:
[quote]
1. Cast shadows

What else are they gonna say LOL. Of course they want people to fear duping. I have never been FSOD or corrupted and as you can see I have a MASSIVE amount of duped items. If you screw up the Item Shop dupe method there is a very good chance you can corrupt yourself. So that is true. But carrying large numbers of dupes doesn't affect your chances of being corrupted. Simply carrying lots of items in general (whether they be dupes or legit) does. I'm talking about in your chars inventory not the bank. Carry as few items as possible when you are not in a game. And always return your good stuff to the bank before leaving or exiting a game.

BTW try not to believe everything you read LOL. Take the PSO "Official perfect Guide" for instance. We could spend weeks pointing out the errors in that piece of garbage.

Aurra
Jul 18, 2003, 06:34 PM
Yes, I heard about that magazine that printed that dupes raise your chances of corruption. Either they're completely ignorant to how video games work and operate, or they were paied off by Sonic Team to write that, just to scare people into not using dupes.

VioletSkye
Jul 18, 2003, 06:41 PM
On 2003-07-18 16:34, Aurra wrote:
Yes, I heard about that magazine that printed that dupes raise your chances of corruption. Either they're completely ignorant to how video games work and operate, or they were paied off by Sonic Team to write that, just to scare people into not using dupes.

Either way they are spreading false information, so I would have to question anything else they have to say LOL. I'll see if I can find a copy of it. I'd be interested to read it myself. I'll post the article if I can find it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-07-18 16:42 ]</font>