PDA

View Full Version : [rant] No USA version 2? Gee, I wonder why...

PsychoKick
Mar 19, 2001, 08:19 AM
Ever think that maybe Japanese players are just fed up with the thieving and cheating so rampant among American players? I've run into way too many American jerks who view the Japanese servers as little more than a place to steal stuff from, make tasteless comments about the atomic bombing, and insult people without them being able to understand enough to insult back.

Sonic Team must find this an incredible kick in the face. They make PSO a global game in hopes of facilitating international fun between gamers all over the world, and instead get deluged with hordes of rude thieves, cheaters, and jerks who only reinforce the "American barbarian" stereotype. *sigh*

As much as I'd like to play PSO version 2, I could easily understand why Sega might decide not to release it in the USA. Perhaps enough Japanese gamers are so fed up with Americans that releasing it in the USA would hurt their Japanese sales. Remember, Sega's a Japanese company, and has to cater first to its native audience. Maybe there's a feeling that American gamers don't "deserve" version 2.

I know that most American PSO players aren't jerks, but sometimes it seems that there's just enough assholes to make it all seem irrelevant. A little folly outweighs great honor, after all.

Normally in the interests of fairness I'd say something about Japanese asshole players too, but quite frankly I've never run into any. It's so freaky that I almost wish one of them would steal something from me, or at least call me a dirty gaijin. If there's any trouble, then they must do a damn good job of keeping it to a minimum.

Gericault
Mar 19, 2001, 08:25 AM
In Japan, ALL phone calls cost per minute, like long distance calls do here in the states. That's why you'll rarely find an abandoned japanese webpage collecting dust, and will rarely find japanese people on ICQ. Going online is expensive in Japan, so people generally don't waste time while online. This, coupled with the inherent politeness of japanese culture, is why you rarely run into japanese jackasses? if you made Americans start paying for the time they spend annoying other people, very few of them would decide the satisfaction derived from being a twit was worth the constant cash drain.

On the other hand, this is also why Sega are idiots if they decide to favor japan over america in terms of online gaming.

OtakuDC
Mar 19, 2001, 10:11 AM
I doubt Sega is stupid enough to not release ver 2 in the US. You have to realize that the DC has never really done that well in Japan. and coupled w/ heir internet situation its not ver proftable...on the other hand PSO has been a smash hit in the US

Sega is very much aware of money (thats why they sold out on the DC) so I seriously doubt theyll abandon such a potential success in order to shiled their japanese players from some "american barabarian stereotypes"

PS. I have run into some rude Japanese peopel...well not rude they just wouldnt answer me back with WordSelect...lol...

Seijou
Mar 19, 2001, 11:50 AM
o Psycho, if you didn't know SEGA was created by an American fellow by the name of David Rosen, shortly after WWII(1951). So even though it is based in Japan, the heart and soul of SEGA is American. Just an interesting piece of information. Later.

RedVento
Mar 19, 2001, 12:42 PM
One little side note.. Sega should have no loyally to its home base, because the dreamcast did horribly in Japan, it did the best in US

Ambrai
Mar 19, 2001, 12:53 PM
Mod: Moved to rants.

Shadowhaxor
Holy Cow..... Someone else knows that SEGA was started by an America. Finally.

Good Job.

Shadowhaxor
Holy Cow..... Someone else knows that SEGA was started by an America. Finally.

Good Job.

The_Neon_Samurai
Mar 19, 2001, 01:53 PM
You know, PsychoKick, I've been thinking exactly the same thing. Even to the point of wondering whether the japanese may have started similar petitions AGAINST releasing the game in the US. Altough I agree with you and see your point, I almost definetely will stop playing PSO altogether if Ver.2 isn't released in the US. I'm looking forward to it too much and would consider it a huge unfairness if it wasn't.

Sisqua
Mar 19, 2001, 02:21 PM
The rudeness issue alone doesn't explain the lack of a Euro version, where cheating and abusive behaviour is considerably less than on any of the US servers I've been on.

While we're on the subject, has anyone actually SEEN a flat out denial from SEGA stating that they won't release the game in the US? As far as I'm aware, they've just said they're undecided, but everyone talks as if they've said "NO WAY!"

S.

Ambrai
Mar 19, 2001, 02:56 PM
I agree with you S, I think everyone is in panic mode and hasn't calmed down to see the one main fact here.

V2 coming to the states and UK will be gaurenteed revenue for the company. The disk is basically an expansion and its been proven that 85% of your base that bought the origional buys the expansion.

PsychoKick
Mar 19, 2001, 08:14 PM
Yes, I'm fully aware that Sega was started by an American, but that was so long time ago that it's basically irrelevant to the current situation. Heck, to say that makes Sega an American company is the same type of logic that says Atari is actually a Japanese company because the creators took the name from a Japanese boardgame, or that anime is an American product because its artistic roots lie in early Disney films.

Things grow and change with time, folks. Don't confuse past with present.

Whatever. I'm just ranting.

Rio
Mar 20, 2001, 07:06 PM
<blockquote>
Amen and let it ride..

I feel sorry for the Japanese gamers out there, all of whom I've met are some of the nicest and most helpful PSO players I've ever met. A Japanese player gave me my very first Crush Bullet many moons ago when I'd first gotten online. She could barely speak a word of English and I sat there like a complete twit trying to fumble my way through the translator so I could find the words to thank her for giving this puny little RAcaseal she'd just met the Units and Sources to swing around the Crush Bullet.

And how have Americans in general repaid the gaming pool that produces good samaritans like this? Feh... I wouldn't blame Sega if they didn't release Version 2 in America just to keep the rude gaijin out.
</blockquote>

RedVento
Apr 10, 2001, 12:56 PM
This is kinda a dead topic, but I still feel the need to say this.. Sega has never said they aren't sending PSO v2 to the US or EU. The only reason that EU might not get it is because it would come to close to the EU release of PSO2. Sega will NOT hold back a game to "punish" US players, that is economic suicide. The US has a much larger player base than JP, and SEGA will leave the decision to relase v2 up to SEGA US. I personally believe that we will get the game, but maybe not for a month or so after JP gets it.

Vermillion
Apr 16, 2001, 06:39 PM
I do hope the release POS v.2 here but I hope they learned something by now.. I think I'll post a new set of ideas I have in the genral section.. one good idea would be to have a option that we can set on or off for foul langage coming to us rather than going to the servers.. ways that can block certain lamers and aspects of the game others may find offencive..if sega does read these boards post your ideas and maybe our voices will be heard.

Vermillion
Apr 16, 2001, 07:05 PM
On another note:
I find that there are a lot of good players out there but we are brandished by the idiots..
I have played games from Quake to Ultima Online.. In all my online gaming I have met all kinds of people from all over the world..

Unless they make you take an iq and kindness test there's little anyone can do to stop the poorly parented, uneducated, low brain matter, illgotten rude, stupid, lame, no life fuck heads out there from ruining a good game.. they look for someone to bug and annoy.. we can ignore them but they are always there.

As ignorant as some humans seem they are human.. aside from truely wanting to beat the living daylights out of some brain dead people all we can do is rant for now and hope that the good people out here come up with ideas and that sega listens and takes notice..