PDA

View Full Version : Vol Opt

MsFortune
Mar 19, 2001, 12:56 PM
hi guys, for all of you who keep saying how easy this boss is... put away yer spread needles, stop yer knitting and help a force.
2nd phase he hit me once i died.
someone said keep moving...
err.. u keep movin u can't attack.. and going round in circles u can't see vol opt either.
help!
oh, i is now lvl 31 with 171 HP and 750TP.
ta.

Mistkerl_Zwo
Mar 19, 2001, 01:03 PM
As a force, it is imperative to keep moving. Basically, hit him with gizonde a couple of times, if any rockets or glowing green balls are coming run! when he locks on you with the red laser, run in circles until after the 2nd set of three attacks. then stop and start casting lightning again. You can hit him 3 times or so and then run again, its a major pain in the butt, but then again, thats how everything is for a force!

good luck

Neojin
Mar 19, 2001, 01:09 PM
Check those guns for percents my friends.

I found a Heart Reapeater with 35 to native and machine. OH let me tell you in Forest and Mines i'm a shortie god, muahaha err umm.

Anyways yeah guns rock they alow you to keep your back to the wall and somtimes if your back far enough he has a hard time locking on to you but when he does you have plenty of time to run for it!!!

I used all my grinders and maxed it, I love that thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif This little 3 foot FOneweal weailding dual uzis hittin for multiple 1-2 hundreds just makes ya feel so big for that moment. IMHO Mines is a Forces paridise.

SaitoH
Mar 19, 2001, 01:37 PM
I just use grants on the second form. The bad part is that none of volt op's outter stuff gets destroyed. When he dies, it looks like you didn't damage him. (^-^);;;;;;;

Hit and run is the only option.

MechDan
Mar 19, 2001, 02:16 PM
Vol Opt is quite easy for the other classes--just run around and hit him when you can. It takes a little finesse for a Force, because you have neither the hit points to afford a mistake nor the hard hitting power to take him out quickly.

Personally, I would not use techniques on him. A mechgun or a handgun is IMO preferable--the more damaging the better (i.e. a charge repeater would be nice). For the limitted amount of time you can safely attack him, a triple hard gun combo will do more damage than techniques.

The timing is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. If you haven't gotten the hang of it yet, the simplest way to know when it's safe to stop running in circles is when he targets you with the laser. He'll do it two times in a row. The first time, do NOT stop running around. Chances are there are some missiles right on your tail and you'll get nailed by them if you stop. Instead, wait for his first attack with the heavy pile driver things. He'll target you with the lasers a second time. Now's your chance to get in ONE triple combo. Then start running again! Keep running and running until the next time around.

This method does not do much damage, but until you get the hang of the timing of his attacks, it's the safest method. The big problem is that he heals himself. You can tell this is happenning because of the yellow glowing stuff underneath him. Most classes do enough damage so that this isn't a major problem--the yellow glowing is merely a signal that it's safe to attack. Since you won't be doing as much damage, it'll help you out immensely to take out the healing unit. It's his left "arm", and you can easily identify it during his healing phase because of the yellow glow. Take that thing out, and you will eventually win the battle.

SaitoH
Mar 19, 2001, 02:31 PM
Good Volt-opt guide MechDan. I only use magic 'cause i'm a force character and I won't use anything but http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

Neojin
Mar 19, 2001, 02:42 PM
See Mech knows what i'm talking about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

I gues im a ranger stuck in a Forces body, but hey I got the TP and that kind of mentality has saved my butt plenty of times so I say its the way to go.

I think thats the fun part of a Force, we may not have the HPs but we can, in a pinch fill in for almost tany role (other than a hunter really. We may not have the highest defense but I'm pretty sure our evade is up there with the best of em, maybe even higher, i'll have to do some checking.

magenta
Mar 19, 2001, 02:49 PM
IMPORTANT NOTE:

WHEN RUNNING ROUND VOL OPT KEEP PRESSING THE LEFT TRIGGER BUTTON.. SO THAT YOUR VIEW CONSTANTLY CHANGES AND THIS HELPS YOU TO AVOID RUNNING INTO THE WALL, AND GETTING HIT BY THE PILLARS.

phew.. (sore throat)

Shir
Mar 19, 2001, 03:14 PM
Personally I use machine guns with 35% to machines. But weapons aside... Everyone one of his 'sides' works the same way. There's a slight pause, then he shoots something at you.
So basically you hit him with one or two combos, or magic, then run around a circle, then repeat.
The missle side is hard, I always seem to get hit by one or two, but if you run around him before they shoot, the missles will try and follow you and hit him instead. (I kill Granitz sometimes by running around them and letting them kill themselves)
For the 'big leg' parts, him him a few times, then run. Be sure to be running before they come down, because the characters have that 'work up to run' walk, and if you're not running yet, the first will hit you, then you'll be unable to avoid the rest.
The 'face' side is easy, shoots a glowing ball, if it hits you, you get stuck and then zapped by a big laser. I'm not sure what the other side does, it appears to heal, but doesn't show any sort of effect.
All of his attacks are dodged by running around him. Have some dimates or whatever healing item is appropriate for your level ready. If you get hit with a ceiling spear thing, you won't have time to cast resta before the next comes, and you probably can't survive being hit by all of them, so you'll need to heal in between them. As usual, shifta and deband are good things. As well as scape dolls.
Hope this helps.

Fargo
Mar 19, 2001, 09:02 PM
If you can get hold of a Varista and grind it to +9, you'll make him your bitch in no time - the godamn dragon lasts longer...
and why does nobody ever advocate the uses of Shifta and Deband...? How about Jellen?
These are all very good defensive spells, and if you've got even just one of them going it makes life hard for enemies...

Seutekh
Mar 19, 2001, 10:12 PM
He's got a point. Jellen and Zalure are really only useful in boss fights, yet I seldom see ANYONE use them...

Seems like they'd be just about the ideal solution for a hard-core Force. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

other than that, I suggest dropping in a few general/HP slots, and using a mechgun type weapon instead of techniques. Techniques are nnice, but a weapon will do more damage in the longrun. Save your TP for Resta and buffs and the OCCASIONAL zap.. (what the hell--you are a Force.)

Othert than that, listen to what everyone else here has said. He's got pauses before and after his attacks, and although it WILL take a while, you can win. Just don't be afraid to use that resta liberally.

Rio
Mar 21, 2001, 07:03 AM
<blockquote>
Jellen & Zalure have their alure.. but it's hard to stick em to a boss when you're running like hell.
</blockquote>

Oronis
Mar 21, 2001, 08:10 AM
As a HUmar I always use my partisan.

If I wedge myself between 2 units and face his main body I can hit 3 parts at once with my combos. If he targets me with that laser I do the only sane thing, and start jogging in cricles around him. When he uses the missles I actually walk into the missle unit and sorta hug it while comboing repeatedly so his missles shoot out, go over my head, arc down and hit then explode on the floor doing no damage to me at all.

When it comes to my RAcast I just equip a spread and keep using a 3 hard combo, and only run when targeted.

My force is lv 3 so he doesn't fight Vol Opt, I'd either go with a slicer or mech gun though.

Diamond
Mar 21, 2001, 09:34 AM
I found Vol Opt the easiest of them all but i am a HUcast. Just learn his pattern and attack after the second time he does his foot stomp do a few spells or 3combos then start runing in circles agian

SaitoH
Mar 21, 2001, 12:18 PM
I would love to use Jellen and Zalure but I don't have any spare buttons. Also, I have never actually verified this but does Zalure increase the damage of attack techniques? Or does it just increase weapon damage?

Methinks some research is required.........

Lamalas
Mar 21, 2001, 12:26 PM
Having only 6 buttons customizable does kinda suck. I'd really like to be able to customize the "Useless Keyboard" button and change it to something else. That'd at least give us 2 more buttons to use. Especially since I've got a keyboard (neener neener neener to all those that don't).

I've usually got Special Attack, Resta, Trifluids, Razonde, Rafoie, Rabarta on my keys. If I had some more I could add Reverser and/or Shifta and/or Deband...*sigh*

Oh well...the're supposed to be adding a way to quickly switch between weapons/techniques in v.2

Neojin
Mar 21, 2001, 12:28 PM
Jellen and Zalure are the debuffs, they lower def and attack on the enemy.

Shifta and Deband are the ones that raise yours http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

I personaly never have seen much of a differnce using them on bosses. To answer your question Sait I am fairly certain it does not raise your technique power, pretty lame huh.