PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast door/disc read problem

WraithAkaMrak
Jul 20, 2003, 12:45 PM
This isn't PSO-specific, but hoping somebody here might have an idea what to do.

I came home for the summer, left my Dreamcast in the box for, well, nearly 2 months. I take it out and going to play SA2. I play for a few minutes, and then *whirr* it brings me back to the DC system menu (with the time settings and such). Tried Soul Calibur disc, it did the same, wouldn't read it. Both discs look fine. Eventually, I try just closing the door of the DC part way. It seems if the door is closed completely, it just can't read any discs. If I keep the door open about half a centimeter or so, it seems to read the disc fine. Playing today, with the door open partyway, it dumped me out to the menu again after 20 minutes or so.

Is there a way to fix this thing? Is it the door sensing mechanism that's causing it? I used google to search (and search usenet) and found some people getting reset problems, but my DC isn't really resetting (powering off and then powering on). I found someone who said if they closed the door gently, instead of snapping it down regularly, it would work fine. But mine needs to be open further than that apparently. I haven't opened up the case of the DC and looked inside. The lens appears to be clean too.

Rich_T
Jul 20, 2003, 03:15 PM
it could be a bit of dust behind the door switch mechanism, my advice would be to open it up and have a look, after disconecting all cables first.

The re-set problem is this
The dreamcast drive will make an odd noise ( disc braking)
then you will get sent to the system menu ( clock/memory/settings)

WraithAkaMrak
Jul 20, 2003, 05:54 PM
On 2003-07-20 13:15, Rich_T wrote:
it could be a bit of dust behind the door switch mechanism, my advice would be to open it up and have a look, after disconecting all cables first.

The re-set problem is this
The dreamcast drive will make an odd noise ( disc braking)
then you will get sent to the system menu ( clock/memory/settings)Well, that is what happens. It's just that most of the reset problem fixes I found involved the power supply. I thought since mine wasn't actually shutting off, that it wouldn't be a power problem. There certainly could be dust in there. My room at school was especially dusty, it seemed. I can try spray some canned air before opening it up.