PDA

View Full Version : Quick Cash

Cynosure_Zen
Jul 21, 2003, 05:16 AM
Your significant other is dying of a rare and lethal disease that kills its victim in a day. The only vaccine in existence belongs to a private organization whose motivation is avarice. The vaccine will cost you $50,000. You don't have it and the company will not allow you an IOU. You can't get a $50,000 loan from a bank in that short a time.

How would you raise the money to save your spouse, or would you allow them to die hoping they understand?

Captain_Dude
Jul 21, 2003, 05:22 AM
Telathon!
Or maybe start the "Save my Spouse Foundation".
Or maybe get a cracked version of the anti-virus off of the internet.

_J
Jul 21, 2003, 06:32 AM
Steal the vaccine, or die trying. Totally.

Firocket1690
Jul 21, 2003, 10:26 AM
durrrrr .....

phone all friends and ask for a nice fat loan (about 500)
and ask them to ask their friends to loan you anothe 500.... each

then after it's all well and done, you and your wife are goin to be in one hell of an IOU

s.TiNgEr
Jul 21, 2003, 10:44 AM
On 2003-07-21 04:32, _J wrote:
Steal the vaccine, or die trying. Totally.

yeah. exactly

RavenTW
Jul 21, 2003, 10:50 AM
Is this a trick question?

Sedyne
Jul 21, 2003, 12:16 PM
First i's slap RavenTW for being so cute.

Then I'd slap the monkey a few times.

Then I'd ask my friend if he cares if he's going to die.

Then I'd do what he wishes. ^_^

Micah
Jul 21, 2003, 12:57 PM
okay... that was sick and lame

pixelate
Jul 21, 2003, 04:51 PM
Masturbation sessions at a sperm bank with people from a local junior college.

polishedweasel
Jul 21, 2003, 06:07 PM
Go to the bank, get a loan. Use Credit cards, ask every family member I know for some money, Call the president ask for money....etc. But, why would any medical company let a person die like that? You must live in a sad sad world.

Micah
Jul 21, 2003, 06:20 PM
this world is fucked up

RavenTW
Jul 21, 2003, 07:30 PM
Isn't it though?

Sai-Yuk
Jul 21, 2003, 08:16 PM
i'd burn all their treasured things before them and tell them that this is only the start of the suffering that lies in store for them.

Edit: though, a vaccine would be useless if the disease is already contracted, as the nature of them is to (usually, if my tired mind is working) introduce a weakened state of the disease into a person and allow them to build resistance to it like that.

eh, who cares.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sai-Yuk on 2003-07-21 18:21 ]</font>

jediknight007
Jul 21, 2003, 08:21 PM
May I know the name of this lethal disease which kills it's victim in one day? Not diarrhoea is it? Once that's established, I can go and create my own vaccine in a day for I am the one and only Sir Alberto Einsteinho!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jediknight007 on 2003-07-21 18:24 ]</font>

Nerd
Jul 21, 2003, 08:26 PM
I'd say it's time to find a new significant other.

....no really. $50,000 would buy a really nice car.

polishedweasel
Jul 22, 2003, 03:02 AM
50k isn't all that much to save your lovers life. So, doing it legally would be so much more rewarding. Then the person would have a new, fresh, appreciative, love for you.

I'm such a sap...

Nerd
Jul 22, 2003, 03:53 AM
www.hummer.com

$50,000

Vanango
Jul 22, 2003, 05:17 AM
On 2003-07-21 16:07, polishedweasel wrote:
But, why would any medical company let a person die like that? You must live in a sad sad world.

seems simple enough to say. When business, morals, and ethics collide. Oh wait...

the classic scenario is if a pharmaceutical develops a cure for AIDs, they then have the patent for the drug for 7 years. The reason for the patent is for the company to be able to make up money that was incurred though the research and development phase, as well as being able to make a profit and afford to spend more money on more R&D.

Okay, now they have drug that cures AIDs. What do they do? Start selling it for outrageous prices. It costs little to make, but they deserve to make money (otherwise companies wouldn't bother developing these drugs.

So now people with a lot of money or really good insurance plans can afford the drug, but what about all the hundreds of people dying in Africa or even the people in their same country that simply cannot afford the drug?

Granted, there are going to be illegal third party drugs, but for the most part that would be the only means of a cure. Do you see where I'm going with this?

It would be nice if the company gave out the drug for free or for a cheaper price, but doing so could ruin their company and eliminate the production of future drugs.

Cynosure_Zen
Jul 22, 2003, 08:37 AM
On 2003-07-21 18:16, Sai-Yuk wrote:
i'd burn all their treasured things before them and tell them that this is only the start of the suffering that lies in store for them.

Edit: though, a vaccine would be useless if the disease is already contracted, as the nature of them is to (usually, if my tired mind is working) introduce a weakened state of the disease into a person and allow them to build resistance to it like that.

eh, who cares.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sai-Yuk on 2003-07-21 18:21 ]</font>

Not necessarily http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. A lot of vaccines are retroactive, meaning they are effective even after infection, so long as the vaccine has time to work in the course of the disease. Of course, the odds of a vaccine working in a day are pretty slim, but hey, it's a hypothetical situation .

phasma
Jul 22, 2003, 10:17 AM
someone's looking to test the ethics and morals of PSOW now, aren't they? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Aredhel
Jul 22, 2003, 11:54 AM
On 2003-07-22 01:53, Nerd wrote:
www.hummer.com

$50,000

JEEZ! Back in my day, a hummer only cost $50 and a cigarette.

Ban me.