PDA

View Full Version : GC: Voice chat is enable for gamecube...

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 21, 2003, 05:56 PM
Voice chat, the big new thing about the x-box version, but in all truth voice chat is able to be used by any gamecube owner if
1. BroadBand
2.Gamecube Close to a computer
3.Computer has such a program like NetMeeting or even Instant messager

if you have all the above your lucky simple get a private chat room on aol and invite the members of the team or lobby and set aim on voice chat or host a net meeting simple

Dime
Jul 21, 2003, 05:58 PM
NO HOW ABOUT YOU INVITE TEH PEARSONS TO YOUR HOUSE AND TEN U TALK///LOLZ

Trailmix
Jul 21, 2003, 06:02 PM
SOunds simple enough to invite someone to AIM or netmeeting just to talk online.............. ill stick with xbox live for that

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 21, 2003, 06:07 PM
this is a alternitive to buy keyboard and if used who knows a webpage chat might be created for each lobby

jediknight007
Jul 21, 2003, 06:10 PM
I meet all 3 requirements but no, I can't be bothered. Even if me and my other players were on MSN or something and wanted to talk to each other, I couldn't be bothered to turn my head to the PC monitor.

Logical2u
Jul 21, 2003, 06:18 PM
I only have 1 ethernet cable, so this isnt helpful... unless you want to buy me a new Ethernet cable....

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 21, 2003, 06:20 PM
turn ur head? if you set it up and have mic. for pc you just chat, talk.

Logical2u
Jul 21, 2003, 06:22 PM
I can only go on one or the other. Gamecube or Computer?....

Denny
Jul 21, 2003, 07:20 PM
C'mon man. Just accept the fact that the GC uses a keyboard for communication (which some fans are more than happy with) while the Xbox uses voice chat or a USB keyboard.

There is no need to come up with things like this when most of the GC players are fine with the keyboad. The topic of this thread should be changed because it might make owners of the GC version think that a true (Sonic Team created) method of voice chat is available for the GC. It's not right to bait and switch people like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Denny on 2003-07-21 17:21 ]</font>

Solidus_Snake
Jul 21, 2003, 10:35 PM
Yes the idea WOULD work but how many people do you know station their console gaming near their computer? Who would want to run 50 foot cables around their house to do such a thing? Me ive already got a 50 foot ether net cable connecting my computer to my xbox running underneith my floor. I do not feel like having a ton more wires doing that.
Basically PSO wise the system you choose to adopt is almost saying which method of communication you wish to have. GC- Old school tedious typing
Xbox- New age hands free talking. And people like me love to talk when were bored

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solidus_Snake on 2003-07-21 20:38 ]</font>

Outrider
Jul 22, 2003, 01:27 AM
This isn't anything new. The guys at Penny Arcade have been doing that since the Dreamcast days. Still, certainly a good alternative for the technologically-savvy.

XavierDreamknight
Jul 22, 2003, 02:15 AM
I still prefer using a keyboard. I can be more in character.

Vanango
Jul 22, 2003, 04:03 AM
I think it might be fun.

I'd give it a try. PM me if you wanna try it out.

Jack
Jul 22, 2003, 04:25 AM
I think it's a good idea, and I suggested something like this over at the RLLMUK forums.

HighCvSRank
Jul 22, 2003, 03:04 PM
Not really worth it..since on Xbox you can just talk instead of having to do all these chores...lol...both systems kick ass though!

_brainchild
Jul 22, 2003, 03:40 PM
Now, for a fast paced game, like Halo or Socom, I can understand the benefiets of having the mic.

However PSO is at a slow enough pace where I can set the controller down for a split second and type in some vital info and pick the controller back up before I'm in too terribly much danger, or at least wander into the safety of a hallway.

Aside from that, the little word bubbles are just part of the ambience of PSO. If you can't sum it up in a short statement or symbol chat icon, it probably doesn't need to be said anyways.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like talking on the phone over an IM. I can have my music cranked up in the background and still read the messages, and with PSO, the voice chat is going to pick up all the background noices that accompany the game, just complicating the transmission.

ABDUR101
Jul 22, 2003, 03:59 PM
I have my comp, tv and systems all sat up around each other, just because everything I own is in my room and placed so I don't have to move around, and the lack of space.

It's an extremely smart thing to do, just log onto a chat program, load up a chat and talk as you play, whether you type or use a mic. =)

InajaD
Jul 23, 2003, 01:22 AM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaait a second.!! I'm missing the part where the GC is actually voice chat enable..!!! As for what i read ALL the voice chatting happens throught the computer!!!!! So that way even DC players can use voice chat.!! And NO it's not simple at any rate!!! can you imagine all the trouble?? No no no.. just accept the fact that xbox ONLY can have voice chat the simpler way!! You connect your headset to your controler and you talk as you go! join a game and talk to whoever you want, not needing to add them to MSN/AOL/ICQ or whatever..!! no hassles no complicated stuff... ALL included in the pack..!! nice he??? to me, yeahhhhh... and even if i had a GC i wouldnt go throught all the trouble.. i'd just type and go on with my game.!
Good luck!!!!

SirMixalot
Jul 23, 2003, 05:19 AM
People, no voice chat = you sound like a complete idiot if you want to say 'lol', 'brb', or call someone else a 'n00b', etc etc.

RuneScapeMan
Jul 23, 2003, 06:42 AM
That's a pretty... Stupid idea...
Too bad my GC is 100 feet away from here =/.

Outrider
Jul 23, 2003, 02:23 PM
What I find odd is that while Nintendo was one of the first companies to release a game using some form of limited voice chat... (Remember Hey You, Pikachu?) ...they're so far the last company to implement the hardware in this generation of systems. A little weird.

DarkShinjaru
Jul 23, 2003, 02:41 PM
I'd try it, but I'm confused on how I would. I'd need a router to probably get it to work, I got a 50 ft cable from the main computer to my computer, so I'm networked. Only way for me to talk is if noone is home and I move the modem to my room, orrrrrr just not talk at all.

People, no voice chat = you sound like a complete idiot if you want to say 'lol', 'brb', or call someone else a 'n00b', etc etc.

People dont use acronyms in real life like that, unless you wanna sound like an idiot. Most people definately dont "laugh out loud", or say "en zero zero bee!" They'd either chuckle, say "Newbie" or say "Be Right Back" o_O

Kent
Jul 23, 2003, 02:43 PM
This doesn't enable voice chat for GameCube PSO, it enables voice chat for your PC. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

OnnaWren
Jul 23, 2003, 02:46 PM
Heh, Alien Front Online had voice chat.

Voice chat and voice recognition are two very different things (besides, Seaman had better voice recognition than HYP).

Kujin
Jul 23, 2003, 04:36 PM
http://www.rogerwilco.com

ABDUR101
Jul 23, 2003, 06:03 PM
On 2003-07-23 12:43, Kent wrote:
This doesn't enable voice chat for GameCube PSO, it enables voice chat for your PC. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

You sir, are Capitan of the Obvious! =D

Seriously, I think everyone, including the maker of the thread, knows that. o_O

It works for me, so thats all I care about, hooha!

aving21
Jul 23, 2003, 11:48 PM
alot to go through for jelousy

Blade21
Jul 24, 2003, 12:04 AM
true. . the keyboard has its advantages. You can stay in character if you choose. I play on the box and i once met a huge ass bkb weilding all black hucast with the squeakiest voice in the world. It was kinda freaky. I didnt log on the rest of that day. . .can't... get. . his . . voice. . outta my head!!!!

Outrider
Jul 24, 2003, 01:31 AM
On 2003-07-23 12:46, OnnaWren wrote:
Heh, Alien Front Online had voice chat.

Voice chat and voice recognition are two very different things (besides, Seaman had better voice recognition than HYP).

Yes, but Seaman was released after Hey You Pikachu, if I'm not mistaken. We all know that Pokemon spin-off games are never good, anyway... unless they're Pokemon Snap or clones of Tetris Attack.

Again, we must never speak of this... again.

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 25, 2003, 12:18 AM
im just saying if this ideal got support it really could take off

satoshi1
Jul 25, 2003, 12:22 AM
Personally, some people (including me) prefer the keyboard of voice chat. Maybe we're too shy to talk over the net? Not many people have their cube next to their computer (already mentioned) and not many can have both go online at the same time (especially if they're on dial-up). It's a good idea, but it's not the best idea..

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 25, 2003, 12:25 AM
oh i use my method of voice chat w/the people i play with because keyboard to much

ChokingVictim
Jul 25, 2003, 12:50 AM
when was PSO a slow paced game? did i miss something... once you go voice you'll never wanna go back to the keyboard... now EQ was a game slow enough to talk, generally.

the only benefit i saw listed i could ever agree with about keyboard was the whole 'in character issue.' i think we can all agree xbox voice masking is a plague of gaming and adds nothin other than annoyance. i could never have the patience to actually talk in character...

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 25, 2003, 01:08 AM
speak in character you all to in to this i meant as a way to talk about the game at hand

Jazhara
Jul 25, 2003, 04:50 AM
The only use I ever have for my XBox is as a voice server, running in the background behind PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

jt
Jul 25, 2003, 09:41 AM
bubble chat on pso owns but im not gettin a keyboard no time soon so ill stay wit my xbox talk which is much much more convenient

s.TiNgEr
Jul 25, 2003, 10:39 AM
I'll stick to Xbox for voice chat

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 25, 2003, 11:09 AM
ya but this is abouts gamecube way of using a voice chat

Mash
Jul 25, 2003, 04:10 PM
Another program that I've used before is called "Roger Wilco". It's a program designed for talking over the internet for online games etc. All you need is a headset or mic (which most PCs come with) and the other people's voices come out of your speakers.

It's actually kinda fun, you can talk to all of your online friends who live far away without racking up the phone bills.

Da_Wrecka
Jul 25, 2003, 06:02 PM
On 2003-07-22 13:40, _brainchild wrote:
However PSO is at a slow enough pace where I can set the controller down for a split second and type in some vital info and pick the controller back up before I'm in too terribly much danger, or at least wander into the safety of a hallway.

I disagree. Yes, it's slow enough, but there are some points at which time is of the essence, for example C-mode. In C-mode, time spent putting the controller down to type can add up quickly and cost you an S-rank. If, instead, you could talk to your teammates, you could simply tell them "Head for the door, I'll get the switch" while heading for that switch, and none of your teammates would also head for the switch, saving time overall. Anyone who's played C9 should instantly know an area where that would be useful. Or if your teammates are going the wrong bloody way, you can steer them to their correct destination with greater ease using your voice.

Having said that there are many barriers to such an approach, at least with the Gamecube, but for the technologically-savvy it's potentially valuable.

Toolfan
Jul 25, 2003, 09:23 PM
Personally I perfer typing over talking on the Xbox live headset. Listening to people talk on Xbox live is annoying, an da majority of the players dont know how to set up their headsets to work properly. Its real annoying. typing on a keyboard is the way to go.

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 26, 2003, 11:23 PM
this topics for gamecube not how you use xbox