PDA

View Full Version : can u play pso offline on the xbox?

excecutor
Jul 21, 2003, 06:25 PM
pls answer the topic, and why u cant?

Kenshin008
Jul 21, 2003, 06:33 PM
You can play it offline but I think that you have to have xbox live first and also a Hunter's license. So there would be no reason to play offline when you are paying to play online anyway(IMO this is just another way for microsoft to make more money than is useful!!!!! MICROSOFT is the devil although
I like their products

Halexies
Jul 21, 2003, 06:48 PM
You can do offline but you only need a xbox live. You don't need a hunters id.

Micah
Jul 21, 2003, 06:51 PM
another reason xbox sucks.. all microsoft cares about is your money going to them

Rated_Lexxx
Jul 21, 2003, 06:53 PM
Cant you think outside the box....The reason you have to have x-box live is so You have to get patches and downloads to play. To fix problems like DUPING

Denny
Jul 21, 2003, 07:14 PM
Excecutor, if you have a friend that is willing to copy their gamertag to your Xbox HD then you will not need Xbox Live to play offline.

Micah, the reason the tag feature was left in was due to the original game being bundled in with the Xbox Live service in Japan. Anyone that owned PSO also had the Live service so the need for a gamertag was put into the game's program. According to Microsoft, if this was removed for the US version the game would have been delayed again. I think MSFT got tired of the "Give us our damned PSO for Xbox you 'insert set of swear words here'!" e-mails.

Kenshin008
Jul 21, 2003, 07:29 PM
SO???! Don't you people see? why would they make it required to play offline. That is dumb. You have to spend an extra 50$$ to play a game offline so 100$ to play a game gamecube owners got for 50$ I agree with Micah. MICROSOFT steals money.

Solidus_Snake
Jul 21, 2003, 10:29 PM
But why really buy PSO if you do not have live anyway? Sure it can be fun offline but they didnt put the word ONLINE in the name so they could say "Hey look at me i have the word online in my name i got 3 words in my name im better than you." ALSO consider the fact that PSO is competely set for multiplayer online play if you havent noticed. It was meant for online and thats why it is required. That really should not have to be a question answered by others. The only reason i was at first dissapointed is you had to have a credit card to get a HL when i didnt have one Otherwise the 8.95 a month didnt phase me

Outrider
Jul 22, 2003, 01:35 AM
Seriously, people. Stopping bashing the X-Box version. When one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys is giving a warning, it means something. Heh.

The reasoning behind leaving in the XBL requirement makes sense to me. And as for the $100 pricetag... odds are you'll have XBL for another game. And besides, you have to pay for the BBA for the Gamecube, which makes it $90. If I had the choice, I'd probably play PSO on X-Box, if only for the voice chat. (Then again... I did really like Seat of the Heart and Dream Messenger... Bah. Oh well.)

Skankhair
Jul 22, 2003, 01:40 AM
"That is dumb. You have to spend an extra 50$$ to play a game offline so 100$ to play a game gamecube owners got for 50$ I agree with Micah. MICROSOFT steals money."

First of all, you don't have to pay an extra 50 bucks to play PSO. You pay 50 bucks for XBL, which is a service itself. You get the headset, a demo, and a year of XBL to play MANY XBL games.

Saying the Xbox version costs 100 bucks (actually, 90 would be more correct), is like saying the Xbox version costs 500 bucks a month, since that how much you'll spend on food to keep you alive to play PSO, shelter to play PSO in, clothes to keep you warm etc... The game is 40 bucks. XBL, food, shelter etc... are all also required, but are services in and of themself and worth the money without PSO- and have other uses than for PSO.

Of course there is also the monthly fee, but that is shared in both versions.

Second of all, PSO is 40 bucks new on the Xbox (which is why I said "90" above, not 100). So an Xbox owner only pays 40 for the game. No more. The 50 for XBL gets you XBL. It's not an extra fee. It allows you to play all XBL games.

Third of all, GC owners have to buy the adapter to play PSO online. It's also 40 bucks (about).

Yes, for someone that doesn't want XBL, and wants to play PSO offline, PSOX is a rip off. But those people are the minority. Online, the Xbox version is, IMO, a far better deal than PSO-GC online.

Does MS steal your money? Yes. So does Nintendo. MS sucks, but Nintendo is just as bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skankhair on 2003-07-21 23:44 ]</font>

Zolpner
Jul 22, 2003, 02:00 AM
Solidus_Snake, why should some of us miss out on a great game because maybe we can't get online for some reason? ST put Online in the name because it is best played online to enjoy the experience with others and the fact that you can go online with it ofcorse, remember it was the first online console game (wasn't it?, or am I wrong??).
I would be pissed to find out that a game I really wanted to get was only able to go online ( mainly pissed with other countries, who are hold-outs on products for smaller areas and areas that, THEY SEND A 1/4 OF THIER POPULATION TO (well Asian countries) U.S.A mainly hold out on computer stuff (no offence intended by any of this section))

Note: Some statistics of this post may be exaggerated, the real amount of Asian population in New Zealand is around 250,000 people, hardly 1/4 of Asia.

eh... Rather ranty, sorry :/

Traize
Jul 22, 2003, 02:04 AM
heres a thing, why do all these people without xboxs even care what you have to have to play PSO? & anyway, who is gonna buy pso to play offline?

I'm no xbox fanboy, I have a bunch of old & new consoles, but xbox live is great, no doubt about it & all this xbox hating is meerly a risidual of the evil microsoft thing, which fair enough, they make windows & seem to fill it with errors just for fun, but the xbox, big as it is, is a fine console, as is gamecube, people just seem to want to hate it because it gives them something to argue with others about.

AxemPunanny
Jul 22, 2003, 02:17 AM
I swear this subject about xbox/gcn this and that has been beaten to death. Geez. I say let the ignorant be ignorant.

the topic has already been answered. to reiterate, you need an XBL gamertag in your Xbox HD to play offline. of course you can play it online if you do get a gamertag somehow; not to mention you could use that XBL account online with other XBL games.

first online console game was Chu Chu Rocket (at least here in the US). Technically there was online console gaming way before that, using the Xband (some may remember that). It was some dial up/online peripheral used on the Genesis/Super Nintendo; pretty neat but didn't last very long due to it being underused. Also, there was Sega Net Link on the Saturn. Games like Saturn Bomberman (best b-man ever!), Virtua On, Daytona USA (netlink version), Duke Nukem, and Sega Rally were Net Link compatible. I personally, never used it, and like Xband it was underused, hence it fell.

Zolpner
Jul 22, 2003, 02:27 AM
ah.. thanks, you see I wouldn't have known because that would be stuff held back from New Zealand, the first I heard of a internet capable console was in New Zealands games shop's (Gamesman) old magazine and it was the Dreamcast and the first online console game I heard of online was Phantasy Star Online so, yea.
BTW what G-force graphics card are you up to? we just got the FX (FX, is that right? FX) series.

C'ya

Kenshin008
Jul 22, 2003, 08:40 AM
But I still don't understand why it would be REQUIRED!!! That is dumb. Nothing should be required to play a game but a console a controller and a memory card.

What if you didn't have XBL and was getting it in like 2 weeks but wanted to level up your character??

NO can do!! CHEAP CHEAP MICROSOFT.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kenshin008 on 2003-07-22 06:40 ]</font>

Samm
Jul 22, 2003, 08:56 AM
The xbl account, as several people have already mentioned, is required because the japanese version of the game was packaged with live.
It is also tied in with the security system of the game. The xbox version doesn't require a serial number/access key because all your characters are tied to your gamertag.
Ok, maybe its not a perfect solution to require a gamertag to play offline, but it really doesn't affect many people because not many are going to buy it for offline only, the game really does suck offline. But if you do, you don't need a hunters license, thats still just for the online mode.
I'm sure they just thought that the majority of people who buy pso for xbox are already going to have a live account for other games.
I'm sorry to repost information thats mostly already been said, but its just annoying to see people not taking it in.
The required gamertag really isn't just a money making scheme by microsoft. If it was money they were after, it would make more sense to remove the required gamertag and try and market the game towards everyone who owns an xbox, not just the minority who have live. Live is a service in its own and they don't need pso to help sell it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Samm on 2003-07-22 06:58 ]</font>

Kenshin008
Jul 22, 2003, 08:58 AM
On 2003-07-22 06:56, Samm wrote:
The xbl account, as several people have already mentioned, is required, as several people have already said, because the japanese version of the game was packaged with live.
It is also tied in with the security system of the game. The xbox version doesn't require a serial number/access key because all your characters are tied to your gamertag.
Ok, maybe its not a perfect solution to require a gamertag to play offline, but it really doesn't affect many people because not many are going to buy it for offline only, the game really does suck offline. But if you do, you don't need a hunters license, thats still just for the online mode.
I'm sure they just thought that the majority of people who buy pso for xbox are already going to have a live account for other games.
I'm sorry to repost information thats mostly already been said, but its just annoying to see people not taking it in.
The required gamertag really isn't just a money making scheme by microsoft. If it was money they were after, it would make more sense to remove the required gamertag and try and market the game towards everyone who owns an xbox, not just the minority who have live. Live is a service in its own and they don't need pso to help sell it.

That is what I have been trying to say this whole time!!!!

PSO_4_LiFe
Jul 22, 2003, 11:07 AM
True say... All Microsoft wants is damn money those dam rich @$$holes! If I could I would go right up to those Microsoft geeks and spit on them!!! U should of bought a Gamecube like the rest of use man. To bad 4 u!

Micah
Jul 22, 2003, 11:50 AM
well.. thats a mess. but still, who wants to pay $100+ for a game that really isnt that good once youve spent hours and hours on it? if i spend that much on a game, it better be as fun as metroid prime. as customizable as morrowind. have the physics of half life 2. and have the graphics of doom III.

i personaly am about to start experimenting on ways to "discard" your old PSO disk... hmm.. microwave...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Micah on 2003-07-22 09:51 ]</font>

TR3NT
Jul 22, 2003, 01:06 PM
On 2003-07-22 09:07, PSO_4_LiFe wrote:
True say... All Microsoft wants is damn money those dam rich @$$holes! If I could I would go right up to those Microsoft geeks and spit on them!!! U should of bought a Gamecube like the rest of use man. To bad 4 u!

Man, I promised myself I'd never get involved in another fanboy war after the Nintendo/Sega debacle. Why I'm saying anything is beyond me. Oh well.

Speaking as a former Nintendo fanboy, I can tell you Nintendo is no better than Microsoft when it comes to business practices. They have lied, cheated, and done things that should have gotten most of them arrested. They were the Microsoft of video-games in early 90's, and it wasn't till Sony's PlayStation came that thier monopoly was broken.

Now, back on topic, yes PSOX requires Live to be played both offline/online. No idea why it's like that, though someone above said it had soemthing to do with the Japanese release. That seems plausible, and is most likely the actual answer.

I have both PSOGC and PSOX, I play PSOX online and I'm having fun. I'm sure all the PSOGC players are doing the same (having fun).

Kenshin008
Jul 22, 2003, 01:12 PM
On 2003-07-22 09:50, Micah wrote:
well.. thats a mess. but still, who wants to pay $100+ for a game that really isnt that good once youve spent hours and hours on it? if i spend that much on a game, it better be as fun as metroid prime. as customizable as morrowind. have the physics of half life 2. and have the graphics of doom III.

i personaly am about to start experimenting on ways to "discard" your old PSO disk... hmm.. microwave...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Micah on 2003-07-22 09:51 ]</font>
You're only at level 62 and you are ready to quit??? That is sad Micah, very sad indeed.

And about morrowind it is a great RPG and all but it lacks one huge factor! WHOA multi-player!!

TR3NT
Jul 22, 2003, 01:31 PM
You're just this big ball of anger, aren't ya?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-19 16:01 ]</font>

K9999
Jul 22, 2003, 01:33 PM
How so? Im just stating the obvious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-19 16:01 ]</font>

TR3NT
Jul 22, 2003, 01:41 PM
I'm just messing with you. Don't take me too seriously. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

saffaya
Jul 22, 2003, 01:47 PM
On 2003-07-22 11:06, TR3NT wrote:
Speaking as a former Nintendo fanboy, I can tell you Nintendo is no better than Microsoft when it comes to business practices. They have lied, cheated, and done things that should have gotten most of them arrested. They were the Microsoft of video-games in early 90's, and it wasn't till Sony's PlayStation came that thier monopoly was broken.

Words of truth.
Amen.

They still haven't got past their old habits as they were fined a hundred millions or so of Euros for fixing prices in Europe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2003-07-22 11:49 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Jul 22, 2003, 06:22 PM
Just get all the systems and silence http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solidus_Snake
Jul 22, 2003, 06:53 PM
$100 bucks for pso.....you are blind as hell or just illiterate. half of that is for an entire service which allows one to play ALL XBL games. The other half is for purchasing the game which is standard game price. You do realise that they dont change much when translating games and to change the gamer tag requirement would have to deal with programming it once again. PLUS what if you have multiple live accounts on one machine(sound stupid yeah but this happens) it helps seperate characters between accounts. And besides i would think GC would be more of a rip off than xbox cause here are some details

GC-Currently one ONE online game-PSO $40
BBA-$40 to play only one game
HL-$10 a month Total-$90+

Xbox-PSO $40
XBL- $50 to play ANY online game
HL $10 Total- $100+

GC fanboys i know reality is tough to understand

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solidus_Snake on 2003-07-22 16:55 ]</font>