PDA

View Full Version : The Keyboard Question.....

gamerdell7
Jul 22, 2003, 02:49 AM
Is it possible to use a ps2 keyboard on the gamecube if I have a ps2/gc controller converter?

gamerdell7
Jul 22, 2003, 02:05 PM
Any one know if it works?

XavierDreamknight
Jul 22, 2003, 02:56 PM
Wait, which ps2, as in Playstation 2 or the PS/2 connector type? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

gamerdell7
Jul 22, 2003, 03:09 PM
A playstation 2 Keyboard. And using a Playstation2 to Gamecube Controller Converter.

muff
Jul 22, 2003, 03:15 PM
I would think so...good plan I never thought about that.

gamerdell7
Jul 22, 2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks. But I Reeaaally need to know if this is Possible. If it works..........does it?

gamerdell7
Jul 22, 2003, 07:28 PM
Imma try buying one today, or tommorrow, if possible....

Sedyne
Jul 22, 2003, 09:01 PM
There is a specially made Keyboard for PS2??I didn't kno that...i just bought the cheapass 6.95 USB Dell keyboard and hooked it to my ps2....i'd suggest doin that and buying a USB adapter for cube if there is one >_>

WarSong
Jul 22, 2003, 09:27 PM
playstation2 keyboards use usb, non use the controller connection that i am aware of, if someone made a usb to gc adapter it _MIGHT_ work IF the adapter is designed to interpret the usb signal to something a ps2 connector could handle and THEN convert that to something gcn friendly.

i know of an adapter that can connect a pc keyboard to a gcn, i do not know if it supports pso, but i imagine it would since that is the only game that could realistically benefit from a keyboard.. and i would speculate that if it is pc usb keyboard compatible, that there is a good chance a ps2 keyboard would work.. basically this whole long speil is to say.. maybe, don't hold your breath.

personally, i plan on getting a pc keyboard adapter asap, and the one i'm looking at also uses ps2 controllers, altho i doubt it can do both at the same time, all i want it for is the pc keyboard connection.

gamerdell7
Jul 22, 2003, 11:28 PM
So....uh, does it work then?(I didnt really get what you ment.)

WarSong
Jul 23, 2003, 12:23 AM
point blank
NO
the gc converter i've seen will not use a usb keyboard of anysort, only the common pc ps/2 connection, so if your using an AT keyboard your S.O.L or will need an adapter for the adapter.. irony bites.

The converter will not accept any sort of usb connection, ps2 or pc, and you can get a good inexpensive ps/2 keyboard at Walmart for 9 to 10 dollars, plus the 20 + shipping adapter.. if you know anyone else locally who wants a keyboard adapter, buy more than one adapter AND the keyboards too, sell them at cost or for a profit. I know I would.

gamerdell7
Jul 23, 2003, 01:05 AM
what Does Ps/2 mean?

Edit:Wait, what do you mean by a good inexpensive Ps/2 Keyboard in walmart??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gamerdell7 on 2003-07-22 23:09 ]</font>

Nerd
Jul 23, 2003, 01:21 AM
The ps2 to gc converter only works with the controller, the keyboard conversion is separate in that kind of device, and in the case of that particular adaptor, its nil.

At least that is my understanding..

Getintothegame
Jul 23, 2003, 04:50 AM
No. The controler uses the standard port plug-in, but the keyboard itself uses USB.

gamerdell7
Jul 24, 2003, 02:02 AM
Do you know anyplace I can get that Pc Keyboard to gamecube converter?
(I don't want to get it online... just a store, And plz tell me you bought it in a store somewhere...)

Isn't it called a Ps/2 converter?
or....... what?

Temjin-On
Jul 24, 2003, 06:59 PM
http://www.liksang.com/ the sell the bundle of a ps2 to gc controler converter and a computer keyboard to gc converter for 20 bucks. I am gonna buy this said bundle tomarrow. I hope the addapter for the keyboard works

gamerdell7
Jul 24, 2003, 11:43 PM
Naw... I just went on ebay, and I think ill get this Ps/2 keyboard to gamecube converter for 25.00(thats total, including shipping).

This converter come with some special feature,

I'll copy and paste the description the seller put:

"Gamecube Keyboard Adapter
This is a NEW AND IMPROVED product, the Improved Happy Fun Box.
This is the best keyboard adapter for Sega's Nintendo Gamecube game Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II.

The purpose of this adapter is to connect a low-cost 104-key PS/2 keyboard (the kind used for you computer) to the Nintendo Gamecube?s controller ports. This allows the use of the keyboard for various tasks in the game and online communication with other players.

The Improved Happy Fun Box has extra features that make it stand out from the other similar devices on the market.

= Multi-region keyboard support =
This adapter supports German, Spanish, French, Japanese, and US English layout keyboards. Support for all of these keyboards is built-in to one single product. Any of these keyboards can be properly used with the game, with all keys correctly mapped. Moreover, the region is stored in a non-volatile memory inside the adapter, so the keyboard region is preserved between powering on and off the Gamecube; the region does not need to be reset each time you start up the game.

= Multi-region keyboard emulation =
This adapter supports the emulation of the Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and US-layout keyboards using any 104-key or greater PS/2 keyboard. When configured to do so, the 104-key PS/2 keyboard can be used to type in any language supported by Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II.

= Improved keyboard compatibility =
The entire keyboard interface routine has been rewritten to support many more keyboards previously not supported by the original Happy Fun Box, including some wireless keyboards.

= Macro support =
The most unique feature of this keyboard adapter is its Macro recording/replaying feature. Four macros of up to 30 keystrokes each can be recorded and played back with the single push of a key on the keyboard. These Macros are preserved in the non-volatile memory of the adapter and are therefore saved between powering on and off the Nintendo Gamecube; you do not need to reenter the macro each time you start up the game.
Some uses for macros are:

Single-key game controller button reconfiguration
Single-key game making (adapter comes with this pre-recorded!)
Single-key search of all guild cards on one page (adapter comes with this pre-recorded!)
Single-key mag feeding (adapter comes with this pre-recorded!)

= What you will receive =
Improved Happy Fun Box
instruction sheet

= Keyboard requirements =
IBM PS/2 keyboard or compatible with 6-pin PS/2 keyboard connector
5-in AT keyboard to 6-pin PS/2 adapters have successfully been used
For full emulation functionality, 104-key keyboards should be used
104-key keyboard is the kind with two keys with a Windows logo and one key with a properties logo on the bottom row of keys."