PDA

View Full Version : -= Whats a good PS2 RPG game ? =-

Genoa
Jul 23, 2003, 09:19 AM
I'm going to buy a PS2 RPG game today... but I don't know whats good for PS2? I'll settle for Action/RPG also. As long as its a type of RPG. I'm trying not to think about certain... people right now. So a nice long game might help me a bit.

_J
Jul 23, 2003, 09:37 AM
Definatly wait for FFXI...totally.

Genoa
Jul 23, 2003, 09:39 AM
I heard that eleven isn't all that it looks like. But I don't want to wait. I NEED SOMETHING TO DO OR I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF. I'm feeling so depressed. I need something to take my mind off it now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2003-07-23 07:41 ]</font>

jediknight007
Jul 23, 2003, 09:45 AM
Don't bother holding your breath. There will never be a good RPG on the PS2. It will either be some crap rip-off or just another addition to the already-so-boring Final Fantasy series.

Koent
Jul 23, 2003, 09:49 AM
Unlike gamecube that only has one RPG (PSO folks), PS2 Has a slew of them! If you really enjoy PSO, try any of the Project .hack games. These are RPG games that simulate an Online experience, and do a very good job of it, in addition to a very convinceing storyline. Additionally, they give you an EXTREMELY GOOD anime DVD pertaining to the game with the game disc. I'd put my vote in for.Hack//Infection if Final Fantasy X wasn't out.

Speaking of .Hack//Infection, I predict the fourth title in the game to be titled .hack//World, the online version of the Project .hack games. If this is released GET IT! It will be an amazing game.

Final Fantasy X is arguably the best of the Final Fantasy games out there. The entire system of the game has been revamped, and is very user-friendly, but despite that the story is cliche, but is executed in a very awesome way. I can't find anything wrong with this game, other than to say beware the Sphere Grid.

I can also suggest Kingdom Hearts. Its done by Disney/Squaresoft, and has produced the most lethal combination of creativity and intuition of the era. This game is amazing in almost every aspect, but i can't agree with the degree of difficulty. It gets excessively challenging at times, and confusing.

Finally, there's a few games that look very good that i can't get my hands on yet, one of these being FFXI. In addition to that, Jade Cocoon 2 and Monster Rancher 3 are both worth checking out on a weekend if you have nothing to do. They're both good time killers.

Cheers!

Obscenity
Jul 23, 2003, 09:52 AM
Final Fantasy X is arguably the best of the Final Fantasy games out there.

I would have to say the exact opposite. I hate FFX. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, though. =D

Koent
Jul 23, 2003, 10:33 AM
Aww, i feel so loved. that's the first time i've been quoted... *Floats* Anyway, you're right. I'm into RPGs for the stories. That's why I say that FFX is the best by merit of story and gameplay.

XavierDreamknight
Jul 23, 2003, 01:40 PM
If you want to try a different rpg that's away from the old hack'n slash. I highly suggest you get Wild Arms 3. It doesn't use the clique'd fantasy theme and uses the wild west theme. So give it a shot. ^_^

geewj
Jul 23, 2003, 02:25 PM
On 2003-07-23 07:52, Obscenity wrote:

I would have to say the exact opposite. I hate FFX. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, though. =D

FFX isn't on my top ten list out of all the Final Fantasy's.

Kid_Icarus
Jul 23, 2003, 02:38 PM
On 2003-07-23 12:25, Prof_Frink wrote:

On 2003-07-23 07:52, Obscenity wrote:

FFX isn't on my top ten list out of all the Final Fantasy's.

o_o; Finky...think about this. There's only 10 Final Fantasies out right now..X-2 isn't out yet.

But anyway, get Xenosaga and some popcorn. You'll be watching it most of the time.

Allos
Jul 23, 2003, 02:41 PM
Unlike gamecube that only has one RPG (PSO folks

GC may not have many RPGs, but check your sources before writing something. Ever heard of Skies of Arcadia Legends? Or Evolution Worlds (besides the fact that it sucks)? Oh and on the subject of FFX, all I have to say is meh.

OnnaWren
Jul 23, 2003, 02:58 PM
THERE'S MORE TO RPGS THAN FINAL FRICKIN' FANTASY! XO

Oh, for cripes' sake, no one's mentioned SHADOW HEARTS yet?!?

The best RPG for the PS2 that no one played...

Combining RPG, survival-horror, and worldwide mythos into one, this semi-psychotic dark, dark, DARK (M-rated, NOT for the kiddies!) game is a must-get... if you can find it.

Great monster design, cool battle engine (with the Wheel of Fortune), tons of items (and great descriptions for them) alternate ending, realistic characters (Yuri's such a perv!), and a biting sense of humor. The only thing that really blows are the English voiceovers, but there are few enough of those.

Bet you didn't know that this game was made by a bunch of ex-Square employees, did you? Granted, they don't have the bazillion-dollar budget that SquareEnix now has, but they do damn good with what they've got.

In short, find it, play it, love it.

I shut up now. Bwah. -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2003-07-23 13:21 ]</font>

rena-ko
Jul 23, 2003, 03:05 PM
buy a ps1-rpg for cheap.

there are tons out there.

_J
Jul 23, 2003, 03:08 PM
It's Square ENIX now people. : ) Get with the system man! *sounds like a dick* Anyway, FFX 2 is so very close to being released I believe (?). So, if you can't wait for FFXI, at least get FFX-2. That is, of course, only if you have played FFX already - the story in FFX-2 takes place after FFX. Don't be getting all suicidal, you don't want to die kid.

RavenTW
Jul 23, 2003, 04:31 PM
On 2003-07-23 11:40, XavierDreamknight wrote:
If you want to try a different rpg that's away from the old hack'n slash. I highly suggest you get Wild Arms 3. It doesn't use the clique'd fantasy theme and uses the wild west theme. So give it a shot. ^_^

Or for some real hack and slash (and shoot, and throw, and...), try Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner. And don't worry, there's no more annoying kids flying Orbital Frames (even though Leo is still in there, but he's matured a little). The main character even has white hair! w00t!

Allos
Jul 23, 2003, 05:18 PM
Or for some real hack and slash (and shoot, and throw, and...), try Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner. And don't worry, there's no more annoying kids flying Orbital Frames (even though Leo is still in there, but he's matured a little). The main character even has white hair! w00t!

I have ZOE 2 and I love it. But I wouldn't call it an RPG. All leveling up does in this game is increase your health and subenergy.

geewj
Jul 23, 2003, 05:28 PM
On 2003-07-23 12:38, Kid_Icarus wrote:

o_o; Finky...think about this. There's only 10 Final Fantasies out right now..X-2 isn't out yet.

But anyway, get Xenosaga and some popcorn. You'll be watching it most of the time.

Tactics, making it 11 (12 if you count Mystic Quest, BUT I DONT!!!). So poor FFX doesnt get to join in on the top 10 fun.

Sedyne
Jul 23, 2003, 07:17 PM
Try Shadow Hearts. I loved it. It was a very dark mooded RPG but the story was very entertaining. The battle-system could be a bit better but your main characters special abilities are very intereesting and he is proabably one of the coolest RPG heroe's in my opinion.

Some of the characters have wierd names but the game itself defintily didn't get the attention it deserved. It's in my top 10 ps2 rpg's

FF10...I Loved this, go get it if you havn't beaten it.

Kingdom Hearts - as dorky as it sounds, this game was fantastic. Very fun.

lordmikey
Jul 23, 2003, 08:54 PM
Xenosaga all the way it has to be one of the greatists games of all time i havent finished but its an awsome game kinda long though i think 80 hours of gameplay or so its a fun game though

Nerd
Jul 23, 2003, 11:04 PM
I'd say FFX but its love driven storyline might well.....depress you. Especially toward the end.

Vitamin_D
Jul 23, 2003, 11:38 PM
You can't go wrong with Kingdom Hearts. No seriously, go get it.

Kent
Jul 24, 2003, 12:41 AM
Kingdom Hearts is my personal favorite RPG currently out for the PS2. Final Fantasy X is good, but I liked Kingdom Hearts better (and for the record, Final Fantasy VII is my favorite out of the series).

Xenosaga and Wild ARMs 3 are very good as well.

Cex
Jul 24, 2003, 01:11 AM
Yo Megaman, let me actually give you some good advice on a good PS2 RPG. FFX is alright, but not great...Kingdom Hearts is alright, but way to kiddy. The best PS2 RPG is something most casual gamers have never heard of...it's Suikoden 3. Trust me on this one...get Suikoden 3...

Obscenity
Jul 24, 2003, 02:36 AM
You should go old-school and play PS 1-4. They're all awesome games.

And pffth @ anyone who doesn't like PSIII. The whole concept of playing through three generations is cool.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obscenity on 2003-07-24 01:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obscenity on 2003-07-24 01:22 ]</font>

LostHero
Jul 24, 2003, 04:28 AM
FFX, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Xenosaga, Arc The Lad, umm... theres alot actually, but I'd recommend FFX and Suikoden the most.

Kizaragu
Jul 24, 2003, 06:58 AM
Kingdom of Hearts was alright. I just didn't like the battles... seemed repetitive and dull. ('x,x,x, 'down' select Magic, x,x,x) I just didn't want to spent hours of my life doing that.
But get it for the Storyline or to see old Final Fantasy Favourites. I almost had a fit when I saw Cloud again. I started giggling like a schoolgirl and my Brother gave me such a dirty look...... I don't see him any more.

Sedyne
Jul 24, 2003, 09:13 AM
...Xenogears has maby 20 hours of gameplay max...70% of the time your watching the damn CG. So 80 Hours doesn't really count as "GAME PLAY" cuz your not actually playing it...

cool idea byut...story was too boring for me.

OnnaWren
Jul 24, 2003, 12:10 PM
Obscenity: Yeeeeeyy! Anudder PSIII phan! w00t! XD

Dangerous55
Jul 24, 2003, 02:33 PM
Shadow Hearts, its in my top 3 RPGS of all time. Well, its the best PS2 RPG. If not that try Dark Cloud 2.

Sazabisan
Jul 24, 2003, 08:30 PM
Well...if you can hold out for a month or so, get Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. Featuring 100+ skills, 150+ monsters and classes, and awesome graphics, this game is a must buy. It's an strategy RPG, so, if you don't like those, just stay away from it ^_^; Here's the official website:

http://www.atlus.com/disgaea.htm

PS: You've gotta check out the trailer. You just have to see the game in action.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sazabisan on 2003-07-24 18:34 ]</font>