PDA

View Full Version : Humanoid or Android?

Reenee
Jul 24, 2003, 08:30 PM
Episode III changes the Android class to Humanoid class. What do you prefer?

Blade21
Jul 24, 2003, 08:37 PM
uhh. . . I like humans GO HOMO SAPIENS!!!

JTeebo
Jul 24, 2003, 08:39 PM
Androids! Way better!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JTeebo on 2003-07-24 18:40 ]</font>

Blade21
Jul 24, 2003, 08:42 PM
humans built the damn androids. . or at least humans and newmans.

SUBMIT TO YOUR MASTERS DROIDS!!!

Reenee
Jul 24, 2003, 08:46 PM
Please note I will hit you in the face if you keep supporting the pathetic flesh class that is called Human.

People who appreciate seeing female newmans/'caseals in bathing suits are welcome.

Sham
Jul 24, 2003, 08:48 PM
Android. I don't know what the hell is going on with them for wanting to suddenly change it up.

Blade21
Jul 24, 2003, 08:51 PM
This flesh class created your ass! You are damn lucky we lost that remote control. . Then I'd get you to do my laundry!!!

Reenee
Jul 24, 2003, 08:54 PM
*boots him out*

Enough. Stick to the topic.

Blade21
Jul 24, 2003, 08:55 PM
My appologies. . .I get carried away. . .http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

lordinviso
Jul 24, 2003, 10:00 PM
Android is what the class should still be called. Humanoid for a robot just doesn't seem right.

-RickRenziku-
Jul 24, 2003, 10:08 PM
Android and Humanoid are kinda both the same...But I think the differences are..

Android=Half Human/Machine (Or issat Cyborg?)

Humanoid=Robot modeled after humans.

But I think Android sounds better.

AzureBlaze
Jul 24, 2003, 11:05 PM
Gah. Humanoids? Far too much 'human' in that word...

Anyway, as the definitions go:
Robot- Autonomous machine which can act without someone controling it. It dosn't have to look like anything in particular.

Android-Human-looking robot. Data from Star Treck is this...but something like Vlad the Impaler from Battle Bots (essentially a box with wheels and a spike) would not be. To be an android, it has to at least try and resemble a human.

Cyborg-A human which has mechanical parts, or a machine with human parts. I think someone on "The cutting edge" made up some percentage of pieces one would have to be composed of machinery to be considered a cyborg.
--After all, otherwise, someone with a pace-maker, an artificial hip/knee/elbow whatever, would then have to be a cyborg.

Humanoid- in the basics of the word is anything that resembels a human. DBZ Saijins are humanoids, and technically so is Freeza.

That's why the new word is more annoying, it's too general. Hey, if we are machines, we need to be labeled as such!

RubyEclipse
Jul 24, 2003, 11:10 PM
The names for newmans, androids, humanoids, whatever you want to call them have been going back and forth ever since the old Phantasy Star Days.

In Phantasy Star 2, Nei, the first "newman" HUnewearl joins your team, but then in Phantasy Star 3 another unmistakeable HUnewearl (just look at those ears!) joins your team as well..

..however she refers to herself as a cyborg, who has waited 1000 years for you.

Rather confusing, eh?

-RickRenziku-
Jul 24, 2003, 11:12 PM
The whole plot of Phantasy Star games are confusin...

Coxy
Jul 24, 2003, 11:19 PM
i agree, it should be android

Kalbelgarion
Jul 24, 2003, 11:22 PM
Err...Mieu isn't a Newman. She's a cyborg (An Andriod with a few human parts to allow her to use techniques). There are no newmans in PSIII. Only PSII(Nei), IV(Rika), and PSO.

And the plot of the PS saga isn't confusing. It all fits together amazingly well. It's more coherant than most RPGs that have a continuous story line. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RubyEclipse
Jul 24, 2003, 11:28 PM
Well you know, that I think about it, it really isn' that confusing at all.

If I remember right, 21 years have passed since ep2 in ep3.

Now, needless to say people come up with different nicknames for things as time goes on.

Take...food for instance (mm..tasty subject!). It may have started off as "food", but over the years got such slang terms like "chow" and "grub".

My point is, perhaps there really isn't a true "difference", but the people in this new time call them that instead of androids. So, once again, your HUcasts are still HUcasts, but altogether your androids are just referred under a different name. It gets confusing though, becuse it has the word "Human", in it. Although, they were created in the basic shape of Humans, right? So technically, they are "humanoid".

Suppa_Buddha
Jul 25, 2003, 12:02 AM
Andriod... "Humanoid" seems harder to pronounce

Lucas2k4
Jul 25, 2003, 12:05 AM
Android. Even though I don't use androids it sounds cooler. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Night_Star
Jul 25, 2003, 12:13 AM
it will always just be android for me
humanoids is too much to say

Sasarai
Jul 25, 2003, 12:27 AM
Android works for me, though not because it has one less syllable than humanoid...

OnnaWren
Jul 25, 2003, 11:46 AM
In Phantasy Star 2, Nei, the first "Numan" HUnewearl joins your team,
http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/chars/nei.gif
True. Nei couldn't really be classified as anything but a HUnewearl...

but then, in Phantasy Star 3, another unmistakeable HUnewearl (just look at those ears!) joins your team as well... however, she refers to herself as a cyborg, who has waited 1000 years for you.
?!? You mean Mieu (aka Miyu Type S2)?!?
http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/chars/mieu2.gif
Look there, no ears visible at all! The only Androids (not Cyborgs, Androids- it's a well-documented translation error) with any earlike proturbances at all are...
http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/chars/wren.gifhttp://www.phantasy-star.net/art/chars/siren.gif
Wren (Shiren 386, Searren 386, etc.) and Siren (Silen).

Although there is a small (very small) probability that RubyEclipse is referring to Phantasy Star IV, and its resident Numan...
http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/chars/rika.gif
Rika.

And for what it's worth, I prefer Android to Humanoid. I agree- far too much Human in Humanoid. >_<

[EDIT: If the pics don't immediately show up, right- click on the "x" and choose "Show Picture". They should appear then.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2003-07-25 10:32 ]</font>

tank1
Jul 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
firsttly i dont like androids cuz uve gotta rely on others and items for healing and secoundly android means a machine that resembles a human being,humanoid means a creature that walks on two legs and stands up right.
sooooooooo in others words call em wotever the hell u want!

Coxy
Jul 25, 2003, 01:47 PM
the only possible explanation is if the droids have become realy pissed at being called machines and considering they are at such a high standard they consider themselves to be, in a loose sense of the word "human", therefore resulting in the term humanoid

SubstanceD
Jul 25, 2003, 03:21 PM
It all depends on whether Sonic Team went with the name change because they thought it would be cooler or if there has been a genuine upgrade in Androids to justify there being called Humanoids. I personally know a few people who have bitched about the fact that Racasts look so Robot like, people who who would have prefered it if Sonic Team had made Racasts look alot more like Wren form the classic Phantasy Star series ( ie more human looking ). If Androids have been imporoved upon to the point where they can look more human ( and that means more customisation when creating an Android/Humanoid character ) or they have been given an upgrade in either the stat or ability department ( traps were a good adition for Episode 1&2 but is it really enough to compensate for the lack of techs, most PSO player out there don't think so otherwise there would be more people out there using them and less idiots like Blade21 dissing them ) then I say YES, the change to Humanoid from android is a good thing, if it is just a new name for the same old same old then I say NO it sucks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2003-07-25 13:23 ]</font>

NeoLon
Jul 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
It truly doesn't make sence!

Android= Human shaped robot

Humanoid= The Human like form of something, like if it's a creature that can change shape it usually has a Humanoid form basicly a form w/ 2 arms 2 legs a torso and a head on top.

tank1
Jul 26, 2003, 01:05 PM
basically call em android or humanoid it dosent matter its pretty much the same!

Logical2u
Jul 26, 2003, 01:32 PM
bah. Android describes a Robot that is built to resemble humans. Humanoid is basicly something that looks human but isnt human.... unless they do some major editing to the Cast's/Caseals they are still androids...

monkeyfist
Jul 26, 2003, 01:56 PM
there's always changes like this is phantasy star games. in psI, colas and burgers healed. now its mates. the names of the techs have changed. classes that can use techs have changed. weapons have changed. phantasy star games change with every incarnation and thats what keeps it fresh. so i say, quit yer bitchin' and just accept the name change

Lunus
Jul 26, 2003, 03:16 PM
Androids. Humanoid is way too broad a statement. That would be like calling all humans mammals. It is stupid. I'm never gonna call them anything but androids. I mean, that is what they are, right?

Logical2u
Jul 26, 2003, 03:33 PM
On 2003-07-26 13:16, Lunus wrote:
Androids. Humanoid is way too broad a statement. That would be like calling all humans mammals. It is stupid. I'm never gonna call them anything but androids. I mean, that is what they are, right?

yes they are. See my post above.

_Sinue_
Jul 26, 2003, 03:42 PM
I agree that "Humanoid" is too broad a description for their class. After all, Numans, Motavians, Dezolians, and Palmans are all Humanoids as well. Androids are androids, or at the very least they are cyborgs.

Btw: Humans didn't create Androids. Mother Brain, a super computer, did. Humans just picked up on the technique after she was destoryed.

Ryo_Hayasa
Jul 26, 2003, 04:02 PM
personally, Humanoid.
i'm not sure why...i just like it better.
and well if your going to say things like andriod were Created by humans.
well Newmans were created by humans.
ok...how come the humans aren't good at anything.
they have such weak mind power and weak overal strentgh compared to the other two classes.
what we need is a andriod newman Hybrid.
the ultimate form of life...

just joking.

Reenee
Jul 26, 2003, 05:12 PM
I think we can all agree that Android is the much-preferred word.

Now, Godzilla or Morpheus? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KaizerMach
Jul 26, 2003, 07:33 PM
Androids. Humanoid. Whichever, we're the ones with the metal skins.

Nambrosia
Jul 27, 2003, 01:42 AM
On 2003-07-26 13:42, _Sinue_ wrote:
Btw: Humans didn't create Androids. Mother Brain, a super computer, did. Humans just picked up on the technique after she was destoryed.

Wait.. Don't forget who made Mother Brain.. yup! Humans! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On a side note I agree it should've remained as Androids, simply because that sounds cooler than Humanoid. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
That, and Demi and Wren from PSIV were "Androids".

Kanore
Jul 27, 2003, 10:14 AM
I'd just call the 'caseals Humanoids to the fact that they have human costumes, while the 'casts don't...

Humanoids sounds cooler anyway.

GO HUMANOIDS!!!

AynRand
Jul 27, 2003, 10:47 AM
an android is a cybernetic organism. a humanoid is a living species with similar features to humans, klingons, romulans, etc are humanoid life forms

s.TiNgEr
Jul 27, 2003, 11:42 AM
Im too used to saying Android.... so... yeah