PDA

View Full Version : What was that!?

May
Jul 26, 2003, 04:01 PM
Do you ever hear things?

It may be something totally out of the ordinary, or just something as simple as hearing your name mentioned when it isn't. Any idea on why you hear things if you do?

Every so often I may be working or just relaxing when I think I can hear my name being called, to which I reply, "What?" or "What is it?" to be answered by a, "Huh?", and then a "I thought you called me?", "Nope", or something similar. It works the other way around too.

The only other thing able to be attributed to 'hearing things' is a high pitched droning that sometimes comes from tvs, VCRs or your PC (rarely), though I wouldn't think so as though there are some who cannot hear it, there are enough that do to say it isn't a figment of your imagination.

As for why, I gather it's because of the subconscious anticipating, or being wary of that which is imagined.

Daikarin
Jul 26, 2003, 04:20 PM
Yup, that happens a lot. Especially on a big family like mine, where we constantly call each other's attention. Just right now, I was with my brother watching TV... He looks at me and says "Huh?". I reply "I didn't say anything", because that sort of thing is very common now.

Sometimes it's a little noise similar to a voice which calls your attention right away, with the way your mind recognises as a call... Happens to everyone, I guess.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2003-07-26 14:21 ]</font>

Sai-Yuk
Jul 26, 2003, 04:25 PM
i'm always hearing things...

the TV playing when it isn't, people moving when they're not there...

i blame it on my lack of sleep. though recently i've slept more, and this has become less frequent.

i guess it COULD be because i expect to hear it and as a result i believe i am hearing it, like with the TV. i used to always find it on, so, why shouldn't i think hear it, and go to turn it off as a result?

what i'd like to know is what and why for these things, because then at least i'd be able to say i know, and stop getting worked up trying to figure it out.

Artemidorus
Jul 26, 2003, 05:28 PM
I can't switch the cables for my GCN and PS2 unless the TV is off. When I reach behind the TV to see what i'm doing, I hear a painfully high pitched noise from the back of the TV when it's turned on. My old TV did that too...

Reenee
Jul 26, 2003, 05:32 PM
I hear tones at night when I'm in bed.

Bart
Jul 26, 2003, 05:35 PM
I have heard things and even seen a few stranger things like things floating but maybe I was tired or dreaming maybe I wasnt, who really knows.

ginko990
Jul 26, 2003, 06:15 PM
My names matt and my brothers name is pat! you can just imagine the confusion!

Allos
Jul 26, 2003, 06:16 PM
I hear that whining drone that comes from tv's but what's even weirder is feeling things. Usually happens when ur tired. Last school year we took a field trip to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. It was a 1 day trip and we got home late at night. I went to sleep but when I was lying in my bed it felt like I was on the rollercoasters in the park. I swear I was moving.

OniTatsujin
Jul 26, 2003, 06:25 PM
i hear same things too....and i also feel like spirits go through my body...

gamerdell7
Jul 26, 2003, 06:38 PM
I remember one time I was sleepy, I had tingly feelings on my leg. Like little fleas having a war on my skin. lol.

OniTatsujin
Jul 26, 2003, 06:42 PM
lol

Ness
Jul 26, 2003, 06:45 PM
On 2003-07-26 15:28, Artemidorus wrote:
I can't switch the cables for my GCN and PS2 unless the TV is off. When I reach behind the TV to see what i'm doing, I hear a painfully high pitched noise from the back of the TV when it's turned on. My old TV did that too...

I hear that too.

Kizaragu
Jul 27, 2003, 03:16 AM
I know what you mean.
At work though I work with 2 sometimes 3 other Matt's on the same Shift!
We've all got used to it now as people have gotten into the habit of calling us by our surnames as it's confusing!

_J
Jul 27, 2003, 08:56 AM
As long as you can tell the difference between what is "real" and what is "unreal", you are not clinically insane. : )

Kent
Jul 27, 2003, 11:15 PM
Our world is glitchy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

And yes, I seem to also be very sensative to electonic noises, I can't go into parts of the TV sections in Best Buy stores without getting a headache.

gamerdell7
Jul 27, 2003, 11:27 PM
I remember one time I was sitting down on a chair, leaning foward, everytime i leaned back,
the chair would hit the wall a little,
I thought someone was knocking on the door.
So I said"What?" while leaning(after hitting the wall from leaning foward to back once),
and when I leaned back(and hit the wall again) I thought someone was still there,
so I said "What?"While leaning foward, again,
and when I leaned back, I heard the knock again,
I repeated this for a few minutes, until I found out it was just me hitting the wall.....LOl.

FinalMasterM
Jul 27, 2003, 11:30 PM
This old monitor likes to make loads of noise when I turn it on in the mornings/when I get home from work. It really drives on my nerves sitting here after waking up.