PDA

View Full Version : Do you take the PSO world seriously?

Clay
Jul 28, 2003, 09:20 PM
No, not THIS PSO World...the basic theme and setting itself. There's a poll below. Feel free to click what applies, and maybe elaborate below. I'll elaborate here on what I mean by each choice.

1) Yes, I take it very seriously. You're meticulous when designing characters, avoiding insane proportions or bad colors, and take measures to make your character's name "fit" in the setting. You may even *gasp* roleplay.

2) I take it sorta seriously. My characters are made how I want them, but I don't have freaky fat afro FOnewms named THE PHAT MAN DX v.2

3) PSO World? Forget it, bring on Sephiroth! You're more concerned about recreating characters from your favorite anime or game.

4) I don't at all. You not only have a character named THE PHAT MAN DX v.2, but also ^_^, Eff This, and Oreos + Milk!

Artemidorus
Jul 28, 2003, 11:28 PM
I take it seriously because this is a very unique game. I like to make my characters unique. I even give my MAGs personalities (hey you notice they do have emotions when they laugh as youre dead and they dont cast reverser) I make "perfect looking" characters just cuz I can't stand imperfection when I make things.

Nai_Calus
Jul 29, 2003, 12:09 AM
Semi-seriously, I suppose. You can only take things so seriously when one of your characters is what one of your other characters' Mag would look like if it were human. >P That and I don't really give my characters appropriate names, Ian-Kun X and Helios and Fluffy are not exactly appropriate names. Then again, the NPCs can be normal/odd as well. Ash and Sue and Alicia and Elly are all perfectly normal names that people you knew in real life might have. Some of them are more fantasy-oriented and less normal sounding. Kireek, Mome, Calus... And then there are the ones you just can't take seriously, like Natasha Milarose or Jean Carlo Montague. O_o;;;

AUTO_
Jul 29, 2003, 02:09 AM
In all my years of PSO I have never met anyone who was a SERIOUS PSO-roleplayer.

Razor_Burn
Jul 29, 2003, 02:16 AM
I kind of take it seriously. When I create a character, I think of it as making a painting. I don't want to remake a copy of an already existing piece. By making them unique, you add a bit of spice to the game, like a painting does to real life to art lovers.

umbrella
Jul 29, 2003, 02:51 AM
Nope.
All I care about is making a badass looking character that I'll have fun with.

Jehosaphaty
Jul 29, 2003, 02:53 AM
i make my chars goofy. more fun that way. plus with all the free time i have since im not makin up storylines for digital things, i can do somthing worthwhile like frolick around the yard or somthing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2003-07-29 00:56 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jul 29, 2003, 04:06 AM
On 2003-07-29 00:16, Razor_Burn wrote:
I kind of take it seriously. When I create a character, I think of it as making a painting. I don't want to remake a copy of an already existing piece. By making them unique, you add a bit of spice to the game, like a painting does to real life to art lovers.

Heh, sometimes I've gone for unique, sometimes it was an intentional copy, and sometimes I knew damn well it wasn't going to be unique. I tried for unique on my HUmar Fluffy, my FOnewearl ELLY is a clone of, well, Elly, and I knew darn well there were probably at least a dozen FOmars in existance that looked like Helios.
...I just wasn't expecting Sonic Team to make an NPC that looks like him. >_<;

Over
Jul 29, 2003, 05:19 AM
I take it very seriously because it would feel a bit weird to have a character from a T.V show as it would not feel unique. Also, What i ask you, is the point in building a character named after a T.V character when you can just watch the T.V show. However i do believe it is ok to mimic yourself as it feels kinda nice to think your in a game.

KradKram
Jul 29, 2003, 06:21 AM
Yeaha I take it sorta seriously! Thats whole point of creating a char is that you get personalise them! But then again I'm not really into this rping thingie!

SubstanceD
Jul 29, 2003, 06:48 AM
Yes I take it very seriously, I do all of the above in that catagorie EXCEPT roleplay. Still I am serious enough to spend weeks coming up with that perfect name that perfect name that sums up a part of my personality, sums up what class my charcter is and what that charcater will mainly be doing and gets me a section I.D that I want. I also take things like perfectly color coordinating my characters costume with his/her Mag and his/her weapons.

Dan_theUltimate
Jul 29, 2003, 07:23 AM
i recreated y FOmar 13 times to get him right.

clance
Jul 29, 2003, 07:25 AM
To be honest i dunno what the fuck your on about...

Logical2u
Jul 29, 2003, 08:32 AM
I take PSO seriously. But I don't RP or copy things from other games... all my characters are designed to look somewhat human and my Main Character is designed to look like me!

Shimarisu
Jul 29, 2003, 08:44 AM
I take it seriously when I want to and don't at other times. When I first started I didn't have a bit of imagination, so I chose the character that most looked like me (a HUnewearl), kitted her out in the black outfit (my usual clothes) and named her the highly original Shimarisu (my net handle of 5 years running).

My second character was my FOmar, Arion. I since made his sister Ariadne (RAmarl, who I rarely use). I take Arion VERY seriously. All his clothes, hair, mag and weapon match (luckily red saber is an excellent weapon for a FOmar) and he's got individual symbol chats that I painstakingly designed.

Third chara is my FOnewearl Phase Sirius. She's like a little brown fox and I'm making a brown Sato to match her. I also painstakingly designed a symbol chat for her. I don't know why, because she's my rare hunting chara. I find her way too easy to use seriously.

I also have a RAmar called Solus Medria which is sorta a PSO style name, but it's turned out odd and not really what I wanted - because I wanted the Viridia ID. My c mode chara is HuC6280, a HUcast named after a custom chip in the PC Engine (old Japanese console). And finally my HUmar is named Adol, which is a character from Ys (old Japanese RPG). So I suppose I'm semi serious, but I don't think having the charas named after non-PSO related media makes me not serious at all.

- Shimarisu

happyalloy
Jul 29, 2003, 09:15 AM
I take some of my characters somewhat seriously. Sadly, i'm not original enough to create my own characters, so I pull from the fantasy novels I read (I refuse to pull from Final Fantasy since there are wayy too many of those chars floating around). Some of my characters fit their namesakes quite well, such as my HUnewearl Aviendha. She is an Aiel character (read- warrior people) from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Her outfit is similar to those described in the novel, her hair is close (only because I don't like orange hair with her skin tone), and since an Aiel would sooner die than touch a sword, she will never use Ancient Saber or TJ sword again. (bring on the Soul Banish!)

Another character I have is Aphrael the Child Goddess from the David Eddings triologies. She has many custom-made short-cuts and looks very cute when she destroys an enemy with a single spell http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

However, I'm not paranoid about my characters. My Aviendha is a lot more relaxed than the Aviendha in the novel. My Aphrael doesn't use her short-cuts very often (people get sick of being asked for hugs and worship). But I love meeting people who recognize the names I've used http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Clay
Jul 29, 2003, 09:31 AM
On 2003-07-29 06:44, Shimarisu wrote:
My c mode chara is HuC6280, a HUcast named after a custom chip in the PC Engine (old Japanese console). And finally my HUmar is named Adol, which is a character from Ys (old Japanese RPG). So I suppose I'm semi serious, but I don't think having the charas named after non-PSO related media makes me not serious at all.

- Shimarisu

Of course you don't have to be 100% serious all the time. Despite taking my characters very seriously (I once had an hour on the clock before I even met the principle) I usually like throwing puns and references in my name too. My RAmarl, Paris, is a reference to the old archer guy in the Iliad. At one point I also had all my characters rhyme...which isn't overly serious either (Karis, Paris, Sharis....)

My most recent character I only play multi-play offline is named Kessa...Finnish for Dog. All her symbol chats are puppy dogs. ^__^

So trying to be true to the setting doesn't mean you can't have fun. Not in my opinion anyway. ...just no PHATMAN DX's ...please!

Clay
Jul 29, 2003, 09:38 AM
On 2003-07-29 00:09, AUTO_ wrote:
In all my years of PSO I have never met anyone who was a SERIOUS PSO-roleplayer.

"Hi"

Now you have ^_~ Admittedly I rarely have the opportunity since most people simply aren't interested, but I do try now and again. I do it more with Karis...since her light-hearted personality is more congruent with gameplay than Paris's pessimistic "I hate the world" attitude. People assume you're a jerk that way *laughs*

Outrider
Jul 29, 2003, 03:28 PM
I voted as sorta serious.

My problem is whenever I play an RPG, I spend insane amounts of time coming up with just the right name. I've left the game at the naming screen for upwards of a half an hour on some occasions. (Also, just a suggestion: Never name a main character after a girl you're going out with - cause if it doesn't go well... well, let's just say Rinoa isn't in my party too much anymore in FF8. Heh. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif ) Oddly enough, my character for PSO didn't take too long to design. Outrider looks like the basic HUmar, but a little taller, I think a little thinner, and that's it. My goal with that was to make a character that looks like me.

My second character, which I just made and I've hardly played with is a FOmar named Gregory. Um... he wasn't too hard to create. Just chose a blue outfit, and he looked good with blonde hair.

As for roleplaying on PSO, I've never done it, though I could see myself trying it sometime in the future. I've never actually seen it. But to be honest, after spending the better part of my free time role-playing online a few years ago, I'd be cautious to doing it often.

Monomate
Jul 29, 2003, 03:36 PM
im like...in between sorta and very seriously (although sometimes its great to just cut loose and make a totally ridiculous char). I make my characters how i want them, and don't go to any great lengths to make them look like anyone/thing...but i do occasionally roleplay...

but...i have...in the past...made EXTREMELY COLORFUL, OUT OF PROPORTION CHARS WITH NAMES LIKE FLYINGPOTATO! hehehe...ridiculous...

crazy_latino2
Jul 30, 2003, 04:46 PM
I'm kinda all of them....i role play and be completely crazy at the same time. I'm not gay. i have to tell you that so you can understand what im gonna say. I have a fat midget afro clown looking FOnewm named Mr. Boppernic (it is sopposed to be nickle but i couldn't fit the name dammit). well anyway he's gay......he is sopposed to be a barney or a teltubby reject. I go online withhim and say thing like " I love evwy body!" and sing songs like "happy happy fun time happy happy funtime!" and the response i get is "dude shut up you're gay!" and i keep going and going and chase people around trying to give them hugs and kisses. so you can be all of that.

Layrinn
Jul 30, 2003, 05:42 PM
On 2003-07-29 07:38, Clay wrote:

On 2003-07-29 00:09, AUTO_ wrote:

"Hi"

Now you have ^_~ Admittedly I rarely have the opportunity since most people simply aren't interested, but I do try now and again. I do it more with Karis...since her light-hearted personality is more congruent with gameplay than Paris's pessimistic "I hate the world" attitude. People assume you're a jerk that way *laughs*

Now you've met two. Maybe we should meet up some time. =)

Like Clay said, it's pretty much freakin' impossible to find an RP group in this game... so, as a result, I don't get to do it anywhere near as often as I'd like. Every now and then I'll come across someone who's into it, but I've never been able to get a regular group together... and that's something you need to make good RP really work.

Anyways, as you've probably guessed by now, I voted "Very seriously." I like to put a lot of thought into the looks, name, personality, and appearance of my main characters. It's fun... it's like you get to be writer, director, and actor all at once.

_Sinue_
Jul 31, 2003, 07:23 AM
Make that three actually. I don't get the oppertunity to RP much though, not at all since the DC days actually, so their "characters" are kinda wasted. Tesla was originally a character of mine from Quest for Glory (PC game) and has a very well fleshed out personality and back history. I even wrote a fanfiction about his adventures after QFG5. Since he's not originally of PSO, his story is a bit far fetched and hard to fit into the PS story believably.

Sinue, however, has a very detailed backstory which fits perfectly in line with Phantasy Star/Phantasy Star online.. and she's one of the few characters I can play her role around just about anyone regardless of their RP preference. Most people just consider me a prick.. but that's just the way she is. She's a being of logic, without emotions.. and if she doesn't find a use for you, she will not hesistate to leave your tattered carcass behind. Because of that, she doesn't talk much.. only when she needs to or when spoken to - and then her replies will be brief and to the point. It allows me to RP her and expand her story even when dealing the "IRC Chatters".

Minty
Jul 31, 2003, 10:32 AM
Well I usually take it seriously. I do have a new chara named Cap'n Crunch and I'm fairly cirtain that's not serious! lol And then there is Shippo (as in Shippo of Inu Yasha) But other than those two I try to make all my charas as original as possible. I'm very paranoid about how my charas look! I get upset if they dont look right! And names! I always have to find that perfect name! When making my first (and main) chara, LiLiCA I ended up using a name from an anime buuuut I made her look as unique as I possibly could. I think the name still fits with PSO though. As for role playing, I do sorta with other charas but LiLiCA just has the same kind of personality as me so I just end up playing like myself lol

Naagata_Clan
Jul 31, 2003, 01:24 PM
I take mine seriously... a little moreso than others... I'm one of the only people I know that actually role-plays my characters, so it's a little more fun and interesting for me. That's just how I work though... adds some new elements to the game...