PDA

View Full Version : Turning Japanesea

Corin415
Jul 28, 2003, 09:29 PM
HAs anyone on this site learned how to write/type in Japanese or know a good program thats easy to use to learn how to type it? If ANYONE could point me in some direction it would help alot, Thxs in advance

RAmar_Monkey_Boy
Jul 28, 2003, 09:38 PM
ONE SIMPLE STEP TO LEARN JAPANEASE!

STEP1. CONSULT UR LOCAl library and find a book on the subject u are looking for.
STEP2. read the books!

there u have it!

KaizerMach
Jul 28, 2003, 09:46 PM
I went to japan town once and took a class there. Though it was rather embarassing when they put me in a class with 5 year olds who spoke better japanese than I did...

Corin415
Jul 28, 2003, 09:51 PM
i wa slookign more along th elines ofg a Program i can use on my computer

RAmar_Monkey_Boy
Jul 28, 2003, 09:53 PM
Dont be lazy!
either the libraryy or look over the internet!

Tenton
Jul 28, 2003, 09:56 PM
i learn most of my japanease from games^.^ but i still have hard time to play with jap player, they just type way too fast^.^ Usually i only said hi~~~~~play then good bye~~~~^.^sigh

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Jul 28, 2003, 10:57 PM
Go to Best Buy if you have one near you, and in their software aisle they have foreign languages. I got a Japanese one there which is really good (and cheap too!)

In order to write Japanese, you have to have the language pack installed on your computer. Go to Google and search and download the "IME" and install it.

Beware though! It is over 50mb!!

To write in it, open the language bar (right click on start bar, go to toolbars, and language bar.) Select a program that accepts input in a foreign language, like Word, IE, etc.

Happy Learning!!

Edit!! Newly updated IME, heres the link for the JP version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEED31CD-15A9-4B86-AFE5-E77A095599F3&displaylang=en

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy on 2003-07-28 21:01 ]</font>

brillyfresh
Jul 29, 2003, 01:09 AM
a really good program to get from Best Buy, or anywhere else you can find it, is Instant Immersion Japanese ... it's a 4 CD-ROM package that will take you through the basics of spoken and written Japanese

the first two discs deal with spoken, the 3rd deals with writing it, the 4th is JQuickTrans, a really good Japanese dictionary IMO

as for books, go to B&N and get Read Japanese Today by Ian Walsh, A Guide to Writing Kanji and Kana and Kanji and Kana: A Handbook and Dictionary of the Japanese Writing System, both by Hadamitzky & Spahn ... those books have helped me read Japanese kana and kanji more than any computer program ever did, especially the one by Walsh

but if you're really hard-set on typing it, here are directions to install IME, as Monomate Monkey described above:

(i assume you're using Win XP, tell me if you aren't)

Open Control Panel and select Regional and Language Options (located under Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options if you have trouble finding it)
Under the Languages tab, check Install files for East Asian languages under Supplemental language support (this will require approx. 230 MB hard drive space)
Under Text services and input languages, click on Details
Under the Settings[i] tab, in the [i]Installed Services box, click Add and select Japanese as Input language and Microsoft IME as Keyboard layout/IME
After adding IME to your Installed services, click Language Bar in the Preferences box and check Show the Language bar on the desktop
Optionally, if you want to enable Japanese input for other programs like Notepad, under the Advanced tab in the Text Services and Input Languages window, check Extend support of advanced text services to all programs

after restarting your computer, you will have either a EN or JP on the right side of your taskbar ... right-clicking it should give you all the options you need, but if you want to even make any sense of it, you'd better read the books i mentioned above

good luck

rena-ko
Jul 29, 2003, 04:54 AM
i use a wordpadlike program named JWPce. its freeware, its - with all dictionaries - around 50 MB in size. you can write, you can look up kanji, you can use it as a quick offline dictionary.

i have around 3 dictionary-books at home (small romanji only, kanji->meaning, meaning->kanji), 2 learning books ("japanese for busy people" - i'd recommend that) and i took a course over 3 semester.
despite the fact that i should refresh grammar and really learn vocables its quite a nice outcome concidering that i hardly have any chance to actually utilize and train.

really thank you for the IME-hint - looked for something like that for ever ^-^
um... is this working also for win 98 se?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-07-29 02:54 ]</font>

Aredhel
Jul 29, 2003, 09:50 AM
(tip) do NOT tell anyone that you are "turning japanese"

just trust me on this one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

brillyfresh
Jul 29, 2003, 10:45 AM
On 2003-07-29 02:54, rena-ko wrote:
really thank you for the IME-hint - looked for something like that for ever ^-^
um... is this working also for win 98 se?

hmm, i never messed around with language settings when i still used win 98 ... IME is a part of win 2000/xp, but win 98 requires a separate download and installation i think ... and there is a difference if you use office xp

here is a link for further details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/default.asp

smallfry
Jul 29, 2003, 05:27 PM
my gf is japanese so i dont need to learn. but i do know my hiragana and katakana.