PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy star episode III dissapointing?

RAwill
Jul 29, 2003, 03:43 PM
epsisode III looks a bit stupid compared to I an II because its a borin card game! i wish theyd of kept it the way it is instead of makin it into yu gi oh

Guntz348
Jul 29, 2003, 03:44 PM
Please use this thread for all PSO III Card Revolution related discusion.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49726&forum=1&371

TR3NT
Jul 29, 2003, 03:45 PM
Technically, they're making it like Magic. Since, that came out as a card game long before YuGiOh. Though, I'm sure it'll be ok. I don't think I've played a bad game by Sonic Team.

Though, everyone breaks thier streak eventually. Who knows...

OnnaWren
Jul 29, 2003, 03:47 PM
Bwah. Everyone feels the need to jump on the Bash Bandwagon, even though they haven't played the friggin' game yet!

Well, have you? Do you know with 100% certainty that a game will "suck" before it even hits store shelves?

If you do, let me know. I could have a whole other career set up for you as Miss Cleo's replacement on the Psychic Frauds Network... >:/

RAwill
Jul 29, 2003, 03:51 PM
i never sed it "sucks" i sed it LOOKS bad and uve never played a bad sonic team game? what about sonic adventure 1?

Lucas2k4
Jul 29, 2003, 03:52 PM
Whats wrong with that game? That was awesome!

RAwill
Jul 29, 2003, 03:55 PM
SA1 was real bad! the music was annoyin!the voices were grim,the gameplay was borin and even the chao system cool asa it was suked

Nambrosia
Jul 29, 2003, 03:59 PM
On 2003-07-29 13:55, RAwill wrote:
SA1 was real bad! the music was annoyin!the voices were grim,the gameplay was borin and even the chao system cool asa it was suked

I beg to differ.
Sonic Adventure 1 was great.
And please use better grammar and spelling.. it makes your posts easier to read >_<

The only Sonic Team game I didn't like was Sonic Shuffle. Any other was great..

OnnaWren
Jul 29, 2003, 04:00 PM
Lordy, Sonic Shuffle was CHEAP!

No matter what, the AI would always steal your best cards, the ones you had been saving up... gragh. XO

Personally, I think that SS was a quick-fix to try and combat the juggernauts at the time that were Crash Bash and Mario Party (fill-in-number-of-choice here)...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2003-07-29 14:07 ]</font>

Nambrosia
Jul 29, 2003, 04:04 PM
On 2003-07-29 14:00, OnnaWren wrote:
Lordy, Sonic Shuffle was CHEAP!

No matter what, the AI would always steal your best cards, the ones you had been saving up... gragh. XO

Too true.. if the AI difficulty had more work put into it, and the script tweaked, then Sonic Shuffle would have been a lot better..

Outrider
Jul 29, 2003, 05:11 PM
Didn't like Sonic Adventure? Err... sometimes I think that's even better than Sonic Adventure 2. Eesh... people sure do have weird tastes these days.

By the way, since we're talking about old games... I'm assuming I'll get a "go ahead" with this question, but should I buy Phantasy Star Collection? I've seen it for twenty dollars, and though I really need to save my money, that's not too much. I've never been one to fully finish RPGs, at least not until recently, and I really only ask because I want to know how much it relates to PSO. Do they share similar enough themes that a fan of PSO would also like Phantasy Star? Another thing I've heard is it's like a lot of old RPGs... lots of leveling and boring battles... Any comments or helpful thoughts?

Saigan
Jul 29, 2003, 05:18 PM
PS Collection is definately worth getting if you haven't played the classics before. Even if you don't beat it it's still worth it for sentimental value and twenty bucks is a great price.

OnnaWren
Jul 29, 2003, 05:31 PM
Should I buy Phantasy Star Collection? I really only ask because I want to know how much it relates to PSO. Do they share similar enough themes that a fan of PSO would also like Phantasy Star?

Yes, yes, for the love of God, YES! Buy PS Collection posthaste! Don't ask, just go! It's cheap, it's fun, there are three whole games there, and it might help you understand the enigma that is PSO a little better. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You'll have to track down a cartridge or ROM for End of the Millennium, though...

[EDIT: Speeling errors. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2003-07-29 16:38 ]</font>

PJ
Jul 29, 2003, 05:42 PM
On 2003-07-29 13:59, Nambrosia wrote:

The only Sonic Team game I didn't like was Sonic Shuffle. Any other was great..

Sonic Shuffle wasn't made by Sonic Team. Unless it is and it just doesn' say anywhere... the only place on that box that says Sonic Team is the Samba De Amigo advertisement on the back of the cover/manual.

And back on topic...

I was disappointed to hear that this game was to be changed into a card game also, but I don't think this'll be a bad game at all. In fact, I enjoy playing games like the PTCG (If it weren't for how short the game was, not to mention how easy). And my only complaint is that it doesn't look like there'll be any original bosses/stages here. But it'll probably be fun none the less... strategy and luck! ^_^

On 2003-07-29 13:55, RAwill wrote:
and even the chao system cool asa it was suked

That shall forever be encoded in my notebook of enemies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Not to mention worst grammar ever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2003-07-29 15:43 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Jul 29, 2003, 05:58 PM
::::IN REGARDS TO THE POSTER OF THIS TOPIC:::

Get a life you inbred brainless idiot...Thankyou http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

satoshi1
Jul 29, 2003, 06:01 PM
Personally, I liked Sonic Adventure 1 better than Sonic Adventure 2.. I'm gonna try and get SADX for my 'cube, great game.

My theory as to why people keep bashing Ep.3 is that:
a)They're ignorant
b)They've got the need to feel "cool"
c)They're unaccepting of change
d)They're stupid
e)I'm out of reasons

It's sad, really... If you don't like the game, ignore it and all discussions of it. Most of them are just merely posting opinions, which is OK, but the need to continuely bash is a sign that you need help, or you just like pissing people off.

Benoit
Jul 29, 2003, 06:28 PM
Again, for ALL Episode discussions:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49726&forum=1&373

Fact remains that the majority thought it was a good game. That's what counts when you're rating Sonic Team.

should I buy Phantasy Star Collection?
Definitely. Best RPGs ever, together with Phantasy Star IV and PSO. Too bad they left some annoying bugs in it, though. But for 20 bucks, go for it.

::::IN REGARDS TO THE POSTER OF THIS TOPIC:::

Get a life you inbred brainless idiot...Thankyou
Sorry, but weren't you referring to yourself? Taking the time to make such a harsh post against a perfectly valid OPINION that contradicts your own?

My theory as to why people keep bashing Ep.3 is that:
a)They're ignorant
Nope.

b)They've got the need to feel "cool"
How is that acting cool? Again, nope.

c)They're unaccepting of change
Rephrase that into CERTAIN changes and I'll agree with you.

d)They're stupid
Nope.

e)I'm out of reasons
Hah!

I'll tell you why they bash it. It's too different from the already established series that consists of already 3 different games. Such a sudden change is not welcome. Also, it's a card game, and not everyone likes that. It's a perfectly valid opinion.

Myself, I don't plan to get it unless I have money left over. I don't like the concept of a card game, but since it's by Sonic Team, it might be good, but I don't keep my hopes up, which is why I won't rush out to buy the game.

Assassin_Tom
Jul 29, 2003, 06:32 PM
If episode 3 turns out to be another Yu-gi-oh card game I'm sticking to episodes 1 and 2.

satoshi1
Jul 29, 2003, 06:43 PM
Ya know.. sometimes these stupid fights about how ep.3 will suck are almost worse than the console wars... at least those have died down quite a bit..

NeoLon
Jul 29, 2003, 08:59 PM
how the heck did this turn from a PSO 3 disscusion to a Sonic discussion lol! personally i think the only cool thing that came out of sonic games was the chao! I LOVE CHAO!!!!!!!!!!

satoshi1
Jul 29, 2003, 09:34 PM
On 2003-07-29 18:59, NeoLon wrote:
personally i think the only cool thing that came out of sonic games was the chao! I LOVE CHAO!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, the chao kick ass.

PJ
Jul 29, 2003, 10:20 PM
On 2003-07-29 19:34, satoshi1 wrote:

personally i think the only cool thing that came out of sonic games was the chao! I LOVE CHAO!!!!!!!!!!

O_O Does this mean... you people understand the Chao?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! They aren't supposed to understand the randomness!

On a positive note, you 2 are the ultimate humans.

_Sinue_
Jul 29, 2003, 11:46 PM
I'll probly get flamed for this, but I wouldn't suggest getting the GBA PS compilation. It lacks PS4, and the resolution is really poor - not to mention it gets pretty dark at times expecially without a backlight. (Assuming you have the original GBA and not the SP)

I'd say your best bet it to just download Meka and Genecyst, and download copies of PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSGaiden (Translated), and PSAdventure (Translated). I'm having trouble tracking down the Telemodem games myself.. so if you happen to come across translated versions of those also please let me know.

However - when the Phantasy Star remakes start comming out for the Playstation 2, then buy those up since you'll probably have the money to buy em by then. The only downside is, they don't have a release date yet and it won't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have a Playstation 2.

Basically, you should support Sega by buying their games.. but personally.. I can't see spending the money for the originals if newer versions (Probably with storyline updates) are going to be comming out before too long. Expecially since THQ is going to be getting most of your money, while Sega only gets a paltry Royalty Fee. With the Sega Ages remakes, Sega gets every dollar you pay. (Except for the retailers fee of course. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

(*Owns all of the Phantasy Star games in ROMs and has PSC as well as PSIV which he plays on his Sega Nomad*)

Nambrosia
Jul 30, 2003, 12:00 AM
On 2003-07-29 21:46, _Sinue_ wrote:
I'll probly get flamed for this, but I wouldn't suggest getting the GBA PS compilation. It lacks PS4, and the resolution is really poor - not to mention it gets pretty dark at times expecially without a backlight. (Assuming you have the original GBA and not the SP)

I'd say your best bet it to just download Meka and Genecyst, and download copies of PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSGaiden (Translated), and PSAdventure (Translated). I'm having trouble tracking down the Telemodem games myself.. so if you happen to come across translated versions of those also please let me know.

However - when the Phantasy Star remakes start comming out for the Playstation 2, then buy those up since you'll probably have the money to buy em by then. The only downside is, they don't have a release date yet and it won't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have a Playstation 2.

Basically, you should support Sega by buying their games.. but personally.. I can't see spending the money for the originals if newer versions (Probably with storyline updates) are going to be comming out before too long. Expecially since THQ is going to be getting most of your money, while Sega only gets a paltry Royalty Fee. With the Sega Ages remakes, Sega gets every dollar you pay. (Except for the retailers fee of course. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

(*Owns all of the Phantasy Star games in ROMs and has PSC as well as PSIV which he plays on his Sega Nomad*)

Meka and Genecyst?
Meh.. I don't really remember if I've ever used Meka (bet I have) but I use Gens as a Genesis emulator. I luvs it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. And I too have PSI-IV on ROMs, however I don't have Phantasy Star Collection (I don't have a GBA http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) but I as well have an original PSIV Cartridge and manual, which I too play on my Nomad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

And yes, PSC not having PSIV (the best Non-PSO Phantasy Star game IMO http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) is a BIG blow.. if I were them I woudla removed PSIII (God.. I hated PSIII!) and put in PSIV but oh well.. to late now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Outrider
Jul 30, 2003, 12:19 AM
Um... yeah, nobody exactly answered my question. I'm not really a fan of how a lot of old RPG games worked. Also, I wouldn't buy PSC just for nostalgia or to support Sega. For nostalgia I'll go and play my Nintendo. Sega's doing fine, and picking up a game out of a bargain bin won't be helping them. I was more looking for some good solid reasons why these games are good, cause my GBA list is still swamped with WarioWare, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow... and unfortunately, those are all full price.

As for the PS2 versions... those aren't ports, right? Eh, I wouldn't really be willing to pick each one up, even if they were bargain games. It's the three for $20 that I'm considering. Bah, I dunno.

_Sinue_
Jul 30, 2003, 12:53 AM
Well if that's the case, you probably won't like the older Phantasy Star titles. They're more about gameplay and XP grinds than focused around storyline. They had many innovative features, but none of which would be considered spectacular by today's standards. Phantasy Star IV is the exception, which is very heavily rooted in storyline and introduces the Combo system for spells/abilities in order to create super attacks. The whole package is very very slick, and puts PSIV up on the same teir as other idolized classics of the time like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. The Anime cutscenes are very nice as well.

If you're looking a bit for backstory on the Phantasy Star saga as well, http://www.phantasy-star.net has scripts available for Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4.

As for the Playstation 2 versions, they are full fledged remakes, though don't go expecting FFX like graphics. They're 2D, which will put a lot of people off - even though they're increadibly beautiful.

It should also be noted, that Phantasy Star II is considered by many as one of the most difficult RPGs of the 16 bit era - and current era as well.

Splitter
Jul 30, 2003, 02:40 AM
I don't think that Ep. III will be as good as the previous ones, and not nearly as fun. i know, some say that card games rule, but, personally, i haven't played a video card game that i really liked since...ever. But it is a Sonic Team game, and those have all been PRETTY good so far.

-STE-
Jul 30, 2003, 03:42 AM
Episode III is cooperation and battle at same time this is why i think it can be cool.
Make a tournamente of 32 teams!!!!

Malkavian
Jul 30, 2003, 08:44 AM
I was disappointed to hear that this game was to be changed into a card game also, but I don't think this'll be a bad game at all.

Err well in E3 2002 PSO Card Battle was announced as a card battle game... it has been never changed into something different of the initial plans.

Also all the people that NOW complaints should did it back there when the game project was announced.

Arutha
Jul 30, 2003, 04:23 PM
On 2003-07-29 19:34, satoshi1 wrote:

Chaos are not cool. Strikers of CHaos are!!! That way the chaos gets to beat up the bad guys and all from the safety of his branch of Paku paku. And on the Striker of Chao you get to see all of his cool facial expressions. Angry Chao is the best, and the best part of the Striker of Chao is that it makes Shifta and Deband look cool.

As for this post. I don't really like card games, I don't even know anything about this game. Especially what system it is for...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arutha on 2003-07-30 14:24 ]</font>

-LordNikon-
Jul 30, 2003, 04:34 PM
I personally am looking forward to PSO ep3 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I have watched the trailer like a bagillion times already. The game is a lot more involved than many think. I love the new lobbie designs...sooo choice.