PDA

View Full Version : THE ANDROID GENDER ISSUE

UltimateEnigma
Jul 30, 2003, 02:43 AM
OK,listen carefully.

A HUcast is described as a Human/Hunter/Male
A HuCaseal is described as a Human/Hunter/Female

They are both "naked"so you can clearly see they dont have reproductive organs(thank god)and they couldnt reproduce even if they had them.

So why do the androids have genders? Thats like saying "My toaster is female but my fridge is male"

What are your thoughts on this lol?

Splitter
Jul 30, 2003, 02:45 AM
I think it's so the girls can play as a girl if they want to, not saying they have to. lol it's because of the gender "issues" in the real world. I think that the sonic team was trying to please everyone.

_Sinue_
Jul 30, 2003, 03:00 AM
My PC has both a Male and Female plug on it's power supply. Does that mean it's a Hermaphrodite?

Rep0
Jul 30, 2003, 03:18 AM
No, it's just having an identidy crisis.

Nai_Calus
Jul 30, 2003, 03:43 AM
Because people deal better with machines if they can anthromorphize them. What are you going to care more about and relate better to in everyday life? A big blocky sexless thing, or something that resembles a human and has a 'sex'? Which would you relate better to, a spider-looking death robot or say, Elenor? Yeah, I thought so. Elenor is much more friendly and non-threatening and, well, human. You wouldn't have a problem running into her and hundreds of androids similar to her, but hundreds of non-humanoid robots running around would probably throw you for a while.
People just deal with things better if they can think of them as 'human' and identify them as a 'sex'. For example, would there have really been a -need- to have Calus be 'male'? Probably not, he could have been programmed to be androgynous but still have the same personality, but people don't generally react well to people who can't easily be identified as a gender. An android/computer/whatever you can think of as 'male' or 'female' is more natural to be around than one that's merely an 'it'. *shrug*
What can I say, humans are strange little creatures.

Rep0
Jul 30, 2003, 04:06 AM
On 2003-07-30 01:43, Ian-KunX wrote:
Which would you relate better to, a spider-looking death robot or say, Elenor?

I wish my Hucast was a spider-looking death robot http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

saffaya
Jul 30, 2003, 06:05 AM
android hunters are cyborgs. Human brain in robotic body. hence they have a gender.

Elenor and her sister are creations of Dr Montague. He designed their artificial brain and put them in the same robotic body used by hunters.

clear enough ?

Neoluke12
Jul 30, 2003, 07:04 AM
Ahh wrong where did they get the brains from because if the persons dead the brain automaticaly shuts down not being able to use it again.

Also it goe on what they look like

E.g if your fridge had long hair and breasts then youd call it a female.

Storme
Jul 30, 2003, 07:24 AM
My Winamp is female, I think. Always going to my sister's Good Charlotte songs... *shudder*

Malkavian
Jul 30, 2003, 08:14 AM
We could say the same for newmans. They are created genetically not in a natural way.

NeoLon
Jul 30, 2003, 09:22 AM
ok, Android means a human shaped robot. it can't be human shaped unless it is either shaped like a female of male end of story!

saffaya
Jul 30, 2003, 01:12 PM
On 2003-07-30 05:04, Neoluke12 wrote:
Ahh wrong where did they get the brains from because if the persons dead the brain automaticaly shuts down not being able to use it again.

Go read Gunm manga (battle angel alita) for a quick course on cyborgs.

Pastullio
Jul 30, 2003, 01:33 PM
You are all confusing me, stop it

K9999
Jul 30, 2003, 01:54 PM
Dr. Montaque has sex with Elenor in this manga i read it was funny

Ghostmaker
Jul 30, 2003, 01:55 PM
that must be one very unique manga, funny too.

Benoit
Jul 30, 2003, 01:59 PM
No, they are androids, not cyborgs. If they were cyborgs they would have a mind and they would be able to cast Techniques(see Phantasy Star III). Androids are just all metal.

Kanore
Jul 30, 2003, 02:16 PM
They have genders because if they had a non-gender android that would be... creepy?

Naagata_Clan
Jul 30, 2003, 02:57 PM
On 2003-07-30 11:54, K9999 wrote:
Dr. Montaque has sex with Elenor in this manga i read it was funny

I read that one too, it was most amusing. Anyways, I think we as humans just like things better if we can relate to it. Besides I think Androids by definition are supposed to at least by humanoid. Cyborgs are the computers with human brains in them. It's just we tend to understand things better if there are two genders... like those two robots in the Animatrix... the ones who approached the UN, one was obvious supposed to be male, and the other female. They probably did it so they could be more easily "accepted". I just simply think it's a matter of human acceptance... or maybe I've been reading my Psychology book for too long now...

Superfly_TNT
Jul 30, 2003, 03:09 PM
Because people deal better with machines if they can anthromorphize them. What are you going to care more about and relate better to in everyday life? A big blocky sexless thing, or something that resembles a human and has a 'sex'? Which would you relate better to, a spider-looking death robot or say, Elenor? Yeah, I thought so. Elenor is much more friendly and non-threatening and, well, human. You wouldn't have a problem running into her and hundreds of androids similar to her, but hundreds of non-humanoid robots running around would probably throw you for a while.
People just deal with things better if they can think of them as 'human' and identify them as a 'sex'. For example, would there have really been a -need- to have Calus be 'male'? Probably not, he could have been programmed to be androgynous but still have the same personality, but people don't generally react well to people who can't easily be identified as a gender. An android/computer/whatever you can think of as 'male' or 'female' is more natural to be around than one that's merely an 'it'. *shrug*

Thank You, Socrates! LOL!

saffaya
Jul 30, 2003, 05:58 PM
On 2003-07-30 11:59, Benoit wrote:
No, they are androids, not cyborgs. If they were cyborgs they would have a mind and they would be able to cast Techniques(see Phantasy Star III). Androids are just all metal.

What a joke this statement is.
Sinows are all metal and can cast Shifta, Deband, Resta, Gifoie, etc ..

And for the Nth time, PSO was designed at first with 18 character classes (time constraints reduced it to 9 for v1). Try to get to that number without FOcast and FOcaseal.

Slicer238
Jul 30, 2003, 06:14 PM
On 2003-07-30 00:43, UltimateEnigma wrote:
OK,listen carefully.

A HUcast is described as a Human/Hunter/Male
A HuCaseal is described as a Human/Hunter/Female

You just described a HUmar and a HUmarl I think you mean

Hunter/andriod/male for HUcast
Hunter/android/female for HUcaseal

Logical2u
Jul 30, 2003, 06:16 PM
Listen... these are ANDROIDS... not Robots. They are designed to look like humans... not a giant block. Hence, they have genders so they dont crap a bunch of people out.

Monomate
Jul 30, 2003, 06:23 PM
On 2003-07-30 13:09, Superfly_TNT wrote:

Thank You, Socrates! LOL!

but...what about RAcasts...they're big blocky sexless things...

lmao

DolmolmKing
Jul 30, 2003, 06:40 PM
I think the gender thing is all in the programming. I think that male androids have male programming and female androids have female programming.

Pastullio
Jul 30, 2003, 08:00 PM
this is crazy

Outrider
Jul 30, 2003, 08:04 PM
On 2003-07-30 15:58, saffaya wrote:

On 2003-07-30 11:59, Benoit wrote:

What a joke this statement is.
Sinows are all metal and can cast Shifta, Deband, Resta, Gifoie, etc ..

And for the Nth time, PSO was designed at first with 18 character classes (time constraints reduced it to 9 for v1). Try to get to that number without FOcast and FOcaseal.

Well, in the Book of Hunters, it says that Techniques can only be done by organic creatures, so it would have to be assumed that the enemies that use it are either using some sort of robotic skill that accomplishes the same thing... or Sonic Team got lazy.

And also remember that they cut out those extra nine characters, and as such... there are no FOcasts or FOcaseals. Until they show up in PSO, the canon states that Androids are robots.

DolmolmKing
Jul 30, 2003, 08:11 PM
Well, in the Book of Hunters, it says that Techniques can only be done by organic creatures, so it would have to be assumed that the enemies that use it are either using some sort of robotic skill that accomplishes the same thing... or Sonic Team got lazy.

well Outrider has a point. One of the Sinows uses Gifoie. I think in the Central Control Area the floating, talking thing says something about one of the Sinows having an Incinerator device.

Razor_Burn
Jul 30, 2003, 08:23 PM
On 2003-07-30 06:14, Malkavian wrote:
We could say the same for newmans. They are created genetically not in a natural way.

Really? I didn't know that. But where did you find that out? I never seen anything about it anywhere.

ryomakuriyami
Jul 30, 2003, 08:59 PM
On 2003-07-30 00:43, UltimateEnigma wrote:
They are both "naked"so you can clearly see they dont have reproductive organs(thank god)and they couldnt reproduce even if they had them.
Not so, says I. They do have... um... those (for the sake of the younger members), as you can see in the manga that has already been mentioned.
Not that I would know anything about that.

Quo
Jul 30, 2003, 10:38 PM

They're not naked look again. They may very well have reproductive organs. And where did you people get the idea that they're cyborgs? bust out your instruction manual it clearly says "ANDROID". They're machines. How they're seperated from the sinows and dubchics et al. is that they are sentient. They have A.I. unlike the robots in the mines. And race doesn't determine tech usage in the phantasy star games. If you'll recall, Rudo from PSII couldn't use techs and he was human.

UltimateEnigma
Jul 31, 2003, 01:38 AM
ok lets stick with.

Male Andriods have a male A.I
and Female Androids have a female A.I

Question answered.

where does 1 find this myseterious manga

saffaya
Jul 31, 2003, 02:52 AM
where does 1 find this myseterious manga

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1569310033/qid=1059637175/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-8179943-1846309

http://www3.tfaw.com/gn/profile.html?cart=3212437825925777&sku=TFAW400100100981

If I were you guys, I wouldn't hold every word printed in the manual as words of truth. Especially coming from a jp to En translation.

I stand by my words and add this.
If there is already a population of, as you say, 100% artificial droids in P2 : the hunter/ranger that are licensed hunters, then what the heck is Montague doing with Elenor and her sister that is so special ?
That is so typical of his genius ? So cutting edge ?

Answer : her AI. She speaks and act pretty much like a Human would.
QUITE DIFFERENT FROM THE RACAST GUARDS, dumb as hell, that you encounter in other quests.
That AI is what sets Montague's creations from other 100% artificial droids.
And she's still being under development !

Now, explain to me again how you can have already an entire population of 100% artificial droids (licensed hunters) while Montague still hasn't finished working on his first complete one ?

Does your RAcaseal run out of batteries like Elenor does in the quests ? Although YOU coming to rescue may be a RAcaseal too ? (ever ran out of batteries ?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2003-07-31 00:53 ]</font>