PDA

View Full Version : *sigh*

Ness
Jul 30, 2003, 08:44 AM
Can't we have a simple political debate without it turning into a flamewar and getting locked? Maybe we need a debate section.

geewj
Jul 30, 2003, 09:07 AM
So all its topics can get flammed and locked?

Ness
Jul 30, 2003, 10:19 AM
No just so we can have a section specifially for debates.

geewj
Jul 30, 2003, 10:56 AM
And what do you think would happen there?

*points to his last post*

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 11:13 AM
This message board doesn't quite have the right userbase for such debates http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

muff
Jul 30, 2003, 11:34 AM
Besides, isn't every thread in every forum about debating?

The debating section
Come here to debate things

I think it would get laughed at because of how ironic it is.

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 12:13 PM
On 2003-07-30 09:34, Cubis wrote:
Besides, isn't every thread in every forum about debating?

The debating section
Come here to debate things

I think it would get laughed at because of how ironic it is.

What he probably means is that there should be a place where PSOW users can discuss the more serious issues in the world. However, I agree with you that "The Debating Section" would be quite... stupid.

Ness
Jul 30, 2003, 12:18 PM
On 2003-07-30 10:13, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

What he probably means is that there should be a place where PSOW users can discuss the more serious issues in the world. However, I agree with you that "The Debating Section" would be quite... stupid.

[/quote]

That's what I meant.

Jehosaphaty
Jul 30, 2003, 12:54 PM
we'll never have a decent debate here, because some ignorant numnut who doesnt know his wang from a baseball bat will jump in the middle of the debate and start talking about somthing that they just dont get, or know, or have done their homework on. then things get flamey and locked. when we get rid of them, we can have a nice debate. buuut, as that doesnt look like its gonna happen, we may never have one haha.

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 01:17 PM
A debating forum!?! ARRRGHHH! What is WRONG with you people? Your not politicians you know. Talking about "serious" and "morally concerning" issues will acomplish NOTHING. You don't actually give a rats ass about some kid starving in some third world country or whatever (after the Oxfam add is over, you will go right on back to your "civilized" life)- and even if you do, talking about how wrong it is will change nothing.

The worst part is Ness isn't even joking...

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 01:24 PM
...and telling people that it accomplishes nothing is as stupid as it can get.

Talking is the first step to actually doing things.

Mystil
Jul 30, 2003, 01:28 PM
I always wanted to discuss things at this forum that isn't PSO related. One would think that would occur in Rants, but whoa how I was wrong about that. Also, don't be so quick to assume that it wouldn't work at this board. PSOW is no different than any other forum out there. PSO(the game in general as well as the atmosphere) is just more....of an aggravating subject than say topics on a more serious matter. However this site and forum is based on the series, how can you intergrade that into this setting?

Howeve _J- debates, like alot of the topics in this section are prone to get out of hand at some point. But is the world sugar coated? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2003-07-30 11:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2003-07-30 11:36 ]</font>

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 01:28 PM
...and telling people that it accomplishes nothing is as stupid as it can get.

Talking is the first step to actually doing things.

What? You want to be like Ness & co and just ignore the fact that what you are doing is ultimatly pointless? Yeah. I wouldn't be suprised if ignorance is like a religeon for many of you. I am not saying just ignore the problems (and be ignorant), but talking about them does nothing. You have to know your limitations.

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 01:34 PM
Nothing is going to suddenly stop you, and the rest of hummanity, being ignorant. That's like, one of the first things you learn when you open your head up and become someone who is not ignorant.

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 01:35 PM
Nothing is going to suddenly stop you, and the rest of hummanity, being ignorant. That's like, one of the first things you learn when you open your head up and become someone who is not ignorant. So go ahead, have your "intellectual" debates. You won't make any difference what-so-ever. : )

Mystil
Jul 30, 2003, 01:42 PM
It doesn't matter if it doesn't make a difference. We're sharing our views on an intellectual level.

This ignorance you speak of..? LOL. I'll tell you what is sheer ignorance. It's when people IGNORE the atrocities of the world. THAT is ignorance. When you've seen true ignorance, then you can go forth with your 'ignorance' argument. Cause right now it's very irrelevant.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2003-07-30 11:45 ]</font>

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 01:45 PM
Yes. I am sure you are all quite the intellectuals (which actually means your saying you all have a good abilty to learn). I bet you meant wise instead of intelligent. I think that speaks volumes about your actually levels of wisdom. And I'm betting your abilty to learn isn't anything special either. But I'm just saying this out of spite because you are all "intellectuals"...right? : )

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 01:47 PM
On 2003-07-30 11:28, _J wrote:
What? You want to be like Ness & co and just ignore the fact that what you are doing is ultimatly pointless?
It's not ultimately pointless. I like to talk about the things that are happening around our world. If you don't like to talk about it, then get lost. If you don't like to read what I write, then get lost. Then again, a lot of things are ultimately pointless, like playing videogames, enjoying life, because life will be over in the end, right?

Yeah. I wouldn't be suprised if ignorance is like a religeon for many of you. I am not saying just ignore the problems (and be ignorant), but talking about them does nothing.

Right. That made little sense, and I'd like you to expand on what you said. Calling people ignorant based on what, exactly? So if we don't acknowledge the problems, what are we to do? Should we dive in and help like headless chickens?

You have to know your limitations.
And you need to know yours. You must realise that a lot of people on PSOW are teenagers. Telling kids to give up and not bother because it's pointless is one of the worst things you can do. It's about as bad as getting kids to choose drugs over an education.

Mystil
Jul 30, 2003, 01:50 PM
_J come up with a better argument than what you've already repetitively said.

Anyhow, I',m all for Ness' notion. *scuttles off*

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 01:53 PM
On 2003-07-30 11:28, Silhouette wrote:
Also, don't be so quick to assume that it wouldn't work at this board.
Well, my assumption wasn't quick. I said it wouldn't work on this board because of the users. The same users that have shown me that serious issues can't be discussed here over the past year and a half I have been here.

If you don't believe me, read the topic about whether or not the war with Iraq should take place.

Ness
Jul 30, 2003, 03:31 PM

What? You want to be like Ness & co and just ignore the fact that what you are doing is ultimatly pointless? Yeah. I wouldn't be suprised if ignorance is like a religeon for many of you. I am not saying just ignore the problems (and be ignorant), but talking about them does nothing. You have to know your limitations.

What's so bad about debating certain topics. Most of us can't do anything about it now, but that doesn't mean we don't like to express our opinions. Also it's sort of hypocritical to lecture us talking about stuff when here you are sitting on you soap box about us debating.

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 05:57 PM
Right. That made little sense, and I'd like you to expand on what you said. Calling people ignorant based on what, exactly? So if we don't acknowledge the problems, what are we to do? Should we dive in and help like headless chickens?

I said right there in my post (in BLACK AND WHITE) don't just ignore them. You can acknowlegde things without having to talk about them you gossip queen. Obviously that never even occoured to you. You clearly like to talk too much, like most humans do. I have acknowledged manys things you never will - but I will never speak to you about them. Understand? Acknowledging = Talking is incorrect. Try not to choke when you get round to swallowing that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _J on 2003-07-30 15:58 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 30, 2003, 06:07 PM
For someone who thinks that talking is incorrect, you sure do speak alot.

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 06:10 PM
I did not say "speaking is incorrect". Once again you have taken little bits out of context, and mashed them together to make some moronic statment. This is another reason why you can't have a debates forum - none of you are even wise or "intellectual" (or at least, you're amazingly good at pretending to be slow). Speaking TOO MUCH is. Besides, someone has to verbally slap you people around when you need it.

Reenee
Jul 30, 2003, 06:14 PM
J, why do you even care what the hell we're saying? You said it yourself that we shouldn't care what others say on the internet. So why the hell do you care?

LollipopLolita
Jul 30, 2003, 06:18 PM
Can't we have a simple political debate without it turning into a flamewar and getting locked? Maybe we need a debate section.

look at what this has turned out to be. valiant try ness, but when you have stubborn people...

everyone has the right to express their opinion, and hey if you wanna shoot everyone's opinion down, imagine how that makes you look.

right so everyone here needs a timeout. calm down a little. temp lock til everyone calms down.

k unlocked. resume fighting!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-07-30 17:47 ]</font>

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 08:13 PM
On 2003-07-30 15:57, _J wrote:
I said right there in my post (in BLACK AND WHITE) don't just ignore them. You can acknowlegde things without having to talk about them you gossip queen. Obviously that never even occoured to you. You clearly like to talk too much, like most humans do. I have acknowledged manys things you never will - but I will never speak to you about them. Understand? Acknowledging = Talking is incorrect. Try not to choke when you get round to swallowing that.

You need to read what I wrote earlier. I said most of the users here are teenagers. This means that a lot of them can't actually do anything to help with the world's problems. Mainly because teenagers are still in school, and because most politicians don't listen to teenagers. So, if you're saying we shouldn't talk about it, then what are we to do? See it and turn a blind eye to it all? Oh wait, ignore.

I also said we talk about it, to acknowledge it. What you missed here, was the fact I said "we", this means to acknowledge as a group, as members of society. We have to communicate with each other to do this, and one of the most common forms of communication is? I hope you understand.

Also, if you really want to prove your point, you really should shut up. Talking more and more just proves that talking about things can get things done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WWWWWWWWWWWW on 2003-07-30 18:14 ]</font>

_J
Jul 30, 2003, 08:18 PM
Also, if you really want to prove your point, you really should shut up. Talking more and more just proves that talking about things can get things done.

Yes it does. Namely me showing you and your kin up, for what you are. : )

Wewt
Jul 30, 2003, 09:10 PM
On 2003-07-30 18:18, _J wrote:
Yes it does. Namely me showing you and your kin up, for what you are. : )

My kin? Please tell me you're not actually trying to say things about my family...

Aredhel
Jul 30, 2003, 09:53 PM
Leave it be, people. Let go of your stupid pride.

Basically, we should have an off-topic forum without the rules.

The Chimp's Cage
go here to fling political poo...

Anything goes. But I know that's not going to happen because this is a private website, not some government service where our "rights" are "guarenteed" by an old piece of paper that gets constantly ignored....

Arghh! Let me vent somewhere! To The Chimp's Cage!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

polishedweasel
Jul 31, 2003, 01:04 AM
Ok so _J is against freedom of speech and the ability to argue one's point. He also states that there will be all kinds of lamers spamming in that forum. Maybe we can set aside a special set of rules or an age limit for that, or perhaps there can be a special clearance to get into such a forum. Like a test or an interview with a Mod making sure that you're mature enough to handle that kind of environment.

Who knows? I don't think it's a bad idea. I like to argue anyway.

Trickstr
Jul 31, 2003, 04:45 AM
On 2003-07-30 11:17, _J wrote:
A debating forum!?! ARRRGHHH! What is WRONG with you people? Your not politicians you know. Talking about "serious" and "morally concerning" issues will acomplish NOTHING. You don't actually give a rats ass about some kid starving in some third world country or whatever (after the Oxfam add is over, you will go right on back to your "civilized" life)- and even if you do, talking about how wrong it is will change nothing.

and you know?, yeah go ahead bag a good idea you incompatant government SPY.

AUTO_
Jul 31, 2003, 05:55 AM
Second order of decree...no more...air pollution. No more car exhaust...from now on we will all travel in tubes!

Get the scientists working on the tube-technology immedietly.

I'll give someone an apple if they know what that's from.

Ness
Jul 31, 2003, 06:40 AM
I still think that the debate forum is a good idea. If we can't express our opinions by speaking than how else can we express them? Violence. Politics is a necessary evil because without politcal debates, there would be alot more wars going on. Also like I said, for someone who's so against talking things out, you sure do alot of it.

_J
Jul 31, 2003, 09:10 AM
Second order of decree...no more...air pollution. No more car exhaust...from now on we will all travel in tubes!

Get the scientists working on the tube-technology immedietly.

I'll give someone an apple if they know what that's from.

First you quote Metallica lyrics as a "poem", now your coming out with Tenacious D lyrics on a political debate topic!?!? SHUT UP. Jesus...

Ok so _J is against freedom of speech and the ability to argue one's point.

No. I did not post "I am against freedom of speech". I am against talking too much. If you can't even distinguish between the two, your a moron. Plus, you are all just little children trying to appear as these uber moralists, careing & shareing individuals who want to make the world a better place - just for the sake of your own egos, so you think more of yourselves. You don't actually give a rats ass about many of the things you would "debate" about. Things like George W Bush - you don't even fucking know the man, but you come out with generic crap or little stats and quotes you heard from some totally biased one sided piece of shit source. I don't really need to continue, but if there was that kind of forum made I would own it. That's probably why you would have to block me out, so you all stand a chance of your bullshit comments not getting shot down. : )

and you know?, yeah go ahead bag a good idea you incompatant government SPY.

Okay. I am getting sick of the posts and PM's of people telling me who I am. I am not fucking "Spy", so shut the fuck up talking like you know who I am better than I do. As if I need to hide my identity from the likes of anyone here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _J on 2003-07-31 07:23 ]</font>

Wewt
Jul 31, 2003, 09:16 AM
No point carrying on. It's pretty obvious who the ignorant one is here.

Ness
Jul 31, 2003, 09:23 AM
On 2003-07-31 07:10, _J wrote:

First you quote Metallica lyrics as a "poem", not your coming out with Tenacious D lyrics on a political debate topic!?!? SHUT UP. Jesus...

He would be an example of someone that shouldn't be in a debate forum.

_J
Jul 31, 2003, 09:25 AM
No point carrying on. It's pretty obvious who the ignorant one is here.

Return of the munchkin. *hehehehe*...I love the irony. Irony is great, "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" is not.

For sure. None of you can handle me, at all. : )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _J on 2003-07-31 07:26 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 31, 2003, 09:32 AM
On 2003-07-31 07:25, _J wrote:

I was talking about AUTO not you, _J. Or should I say Scriptor?

Inu_Ranma
Jul 31, 2003, 10:40 AM
I would say yea, because I love a good debate, but, in looking at this, people here can't even have a debate about having a debate forum without getting at each other's throats. Granted, that's mostly J getting at everybody else's throat, it seems.
I'd say that the biggest problem with your logic about starting this forum is that to truly, effectively debate, one must at least be semi-educated on the topic that is under scrutiny in any given thread. Otherwise, you get flame wars. See the 'should we have a war' thread. See the more recent thread about George W. Bush. It simply seems to me to a very low likelihood of working, considering the clientele of this forum.

Aredhel
Jul 31, 2003, 11:25 AM
On 2003-07-31 07:25, _J wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _J on 2003-07-31 07:26 ]</font>

None of us can "handle" you because you attack straight for the throat. You prefer to enrage people by attacking the poster rather than the topic at hand and since none of us want to get banned for making specific posts that say "STFU_JURAFUKINGCUNTRAG," you don't usually get the opposition you deserve from this forum. Try a different website if you want to seriously argue with people about what's behind the computer.

Mystil
Jul 31, 2003, 01:49 PM
On 2003-07-30 16:10, _J wrote:
I did not say "speaking is incorrect". Once again you have taken little bits out of context, and mashed them together to make some moronic statment. This is another reason why you can't have a debates forum - none of you are even wise or "intellectual" (or at least, you're amazingly good at pretending to be slow). Speaking TOO MUCH is. Besides, someone has to verbally slap you people around when you need it.

You can't be in debates because the method you use with your arguements, people have adapted to over the years in internet debates. You would be shot down so easily, and your points would be overshadowed rather quickly. You can't expect to be any 'good' in any debates if you're a trolling member that likes to force his/her opinions on one another-the golden rule of a debate.

Speaking is too much? So why are you being hypocritical? Right now you've talked more than everyone in this thread. And to me you know how that makes you look? Carrying with the mightier and smarter than thou attitude is so old fashioned and over used it's funny.

Oh I'm not done with you. Expect another edit.

Uh huh. Speaks the brave confident one who just recently joined here and knows nobody. the way I see it, all of us wants this(that rules out the stubborn theory, however YOU, yes you _J are the stubborn one at the moment.)

Still not done Mister.

Return of the munchkin. *hehehehe*...I love the irony. Irony is great, "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" is not.
LOL. He would be an example of someone who can hold his own in a debate(ie. you realize you've been shut down dramatically in thread about a couple of posts ago. Which is why you're being hypocritical and repetitive.)

No. I did not post "I am against freedom of speech". I am against talking too much. If you can't even distinguish between the two, your a moron. Plus, you are all just little children trying to appear as these uber moralists, careing & shareing individuals who want to make the world a better place - just for the sake of your own egos, so you think more of yourselves. You don't actually give a rats ass about many of the things you would "debate" about. Things like George W Bush - you don't even fucking know the man, but you come out with generic crap or little stats and quotes you heard from some totally biased one sided piece of shit source. I don't really need to continue, but if there was that kind of forum made I would own it. That's probably why you would have to block me out, so you all stand a chance of your bullshit comments not getting shot down. : )

: ) You are against talking too much? Again you are being repetitive and OR hypocritical. Jesus Lord CHRIST. This is so funny. Bush has his faults, I blame him for most of them. But he's done some good things for our country as of late. Lets rule out the bad now shall we. Oh and 90% of the US feels that way.

But You mister _J don't really care about that, since it's all talking too much. How does one think more of oneself when they know what is right for thier environment hm? our federal goverment doesn't allow us to have all the say in anything.

If that were the case, things probably would be much better ya? Oh but you don't care cause idealism is foolish to you, and it's talking too much. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif what do you think Bush does all day long? Says nothing? Pfft.

Don't care about the things you rant about? Hmm..ok I guess humankind is just heartless zombies that say "uhhhhhhh" all day long right? Everyone cares obviously you don't though. Which is why this world is so corrupt. Too many black and white and no grey area in between thinkers.

Chances of bullshit comments being shot down? Na, it's just that no one likes to deal with a hard head who posts negative comments for just cause and self pleasure. The false image of being victorous in a debate when in actuality, people just paid you no mind and went on about thier business. It was obviuos to them that your sole purpose was to dump your bias ignorance views on one another, thus killing the argument-making it uninteresting.

Get off the negative horse pal. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2003-07-31 12:09 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 31, 2003, 02:06 PM
But yet he denies it, just like Scriptor.

Inu_Ranma
Jul 31, 2003, 02:56 PM
Trolls never admit that they are...it takes their 'trolliness' away.

geewj
Jul 31, 2003, 03:42 PM
On 2003-07-30 11:17, _J wrote:

As someone said before, given that perspective lots of things are pointless. Outside of survival everything would be pointless. But that's a little extreme so we'll take a step back; only things you can affect aren't pointless. So what if someone enjoys drawing, but there art will never have a major impact on the world does that count as pointless or not? That's their personal life, and they are doing it because they enjoy drawing, not because they want to make art history. So that doesn't count as pointless, right? What if a person enjoys discussing current events, but their input will never have a major impact on said issue? Do you suppose their intentions when going into the topic were to make a major difference in the issue by convincing people from a forum of their view on the subject? Or maybe it's just that they enjoy talking about it.

So I guess the question here is this, is people taking pleasure in thing of which they will never effect on a large scale pointless?

AUTO_
Jul 31, 2003, 04:07 PM
A political debate forum/stickie thread would be another "Cheaters" section gone wrong. If my sarcasm doesn't phase you Ness I truly appologize. I had no idea you were on such a different level of politics then me.

Btw...best of luck to you in 2004!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AUTO_ on 2003-07-31 14:46 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 31, 2003, 08:26 PM
On 2003-07-31 14:07, AUTO_ wrote:
A political debate forum/stickie thread would be another "Cheaters" section gone wrong. If my sarcasm doesn't phase you Ness I truly appologize. I had no idea you were on such a different level of politics then me.

Btw...best of luck to you in 2004!

Yes, I shall rule the US and soon the world.

asdf
Aug 2, 2003, 08:16 PM
A Debate Forum would last as long as a travel bag of baby powder in a crack-cocaine rehabilitation center.

---

There has to be an apparent level of people who aren't idiotic and close-mindedly decisive. The limits at PSOW are the 12-year old anime nerds who feel compelled to express their opinions about how well they jack-off watching HUnewearl swing her lushious Double Cannon.

Maturity isn't neccesary to debate, due to the fact that elementary ideals are proven to be better than first thought. Alot of raw ideas can be molded into these incredibly complex ideas about hardcore things that relate to just about everything.

Presentation limits inspiration.

If one person at this forum were truly able to bring forth ideas that have all parties apeased, then such an area would have shelf-life.

Ness
Aug 3, 2003, 12:18 PM
Seriously guys, this is pissing me off. We got another good thread locked because someonedecided to let their feeling get hurt and go off on people. You need to stop arguing with emotion and start using facts.

I'm really upset about this because I know that there are many people here that know how to debate and there are many here that don't, but the people that don't continue to enter topics and are usually the ones responsible for getting them locked.

Wewt
Aug 3, 2003, 12:26 PM
Shouldn't have locked that topic about what Bush said about homosexual marriages, in my opinion. There were idiots, as to be expected, but editing out their comments would've been better.

But hey, that's my opinion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WWWWWWWWWWWW on 2003-08-03 10:28 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Aug 3, 2003, 02:50 PM
On 2003-08-03 10:26, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
Shouldn't have locked that topic about what Bush said about homosexual marriages, in my opinion. There were idiots, as to be expected, but editing out their comments would've been better.

But hey, that's my opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't like reading "burn them all" in reference to homosexuals, nor the numerous slanderous remarks being made. If I have to repeatedly edit ignorant garbage like that every 5 posts, it's alot smarter to lock the topic than to let filth like that sit on a forum. We don't get to mod 24/7, we like to relax, play games, go out, etc on our weekends, and some of us still work on weekends, let alone during the week.

The Admins can decide whether the thread deserves to be opened again or not, but until then, it's locked. Atleast there were some mature enough to give worthwhile discussion, yeah?

Ness
Aug 3, 2003, 03:47 PM
Agreed. Like I said it wouldn't be a problem if people who couldn't handle it would just stay out.

Wewt
Aug 3, 2003, 03:47 PM
I understand that you and the other moderators simply don't want to put up with people making comments that can, and will, offend others. However, I don't see why you don't permanently remove those users that posted those comments.

What's the point in keeping people around that are like that?

You said it's a lot smarter to lock the topic than to let the filth that are the offensive posts to be kept around, then just get rid of the filth that posts them too.

Anyway, my only problem is when there's a topic with a worthwhile topic to talk about, it gets locked later on because of people infuriating others. It just stops anybody that has interest in the topic from talking about it on the forum.

Just proves that, unfortunately, PSOW just can't handle having a forum dedicated to the discussion of serious issues. Go ahead and lock this thread, as it really has no more use and won't really get anywhere.

Ness
Aug 3, 2003, 04:20 PM
Hey, I made the thread so I say when it gets locked!

Also I think banning people just becuase the are homophobic or racist is a liitle harcsh. When I rist got here I was a homophobe (ask Abdur if you don't believe me), but I can around. As long as they don't make racist or homophobic remarks they should be allowed to stay.

Aslo I think we could make a debate section, but only give certain people access to it. And those that want access have to prove themselves.

Inu_Ranma
Aug 3, 2003, 07:16 PM
That would be very interesting, Ness, but also very high maintainence, ne?

Ness
Aug 3, 2003, 07:37 PM
On 2003-08-03 17:16, Inu_Ranma wrote:
That would be very interesting, Ness, but also very high maintainence, ne?

Well I've seen special access sections on several other forums so it can't be that bad.

brillyfresh
Aug 3, 2003, 08:50 PM
On 2003-07-30 16:10, _J wrote:

well here's a quote i've always liked:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

- Chinese proverb

how's that for "wise words"? ... actually, that's gonna be my new sig

On 2003-07-30 23:04, polishedweasel wrote:
Maybe we can set aside a special set of rules or an age limit for that, or perhaps there can be a special clearance to get into such a forum. Like a test or an interview with a Mod making sure that you're mature enough to handle that kind of environment.

i don't think an age limit would be appropriate, since some people have proven to be wise beyond their years, but a special set of rules is a good idea, especially more strict enforcement of anti-spamming, and in the case of current events and politics, maybe even providing the source where you found said information

and maturity can be measured well enough by the posts that users have already made in other threads

On 2003-07-31 09:25, Aredhel wrote:
None of us can "handle" you because you attack straight for the throat. You prefer to enrage people by attacking the poster rather than the topic at hand and since none of us want to get banned for making specific posts that say "STFU_JURAFUKINGCUNTRAG," you don't usually get the opposition you deserve from this forum. Try a different website if you want to seriously argue with people about what's behind the computer.

that is called "argumentum ad hominem" ("appeal to the person"), a fallacy of reasoning that attempts to disprove an argument by irrelevantly attacking the person who presents it .... anyone who's taken a philosophy/ethics class should be familiar with that term, and anyone who would even think about getting involved in a debate should be familiar with it too, and steer away from making such a fallacy ... maybe that would be a good prerequisite for a debate forum

oh, and i like the temporary lock idea Lolita, you and the other mods should do that more often, because i hate seeing threads get out of hand and get locked before the topic gets resolved ... but a "time-out" ... i like that

as for a potential debate forum, put me on the application list for approved posters ... i would be happy to debate intelligently, if not a little sarcastically, on serious issues

finally, about banning people, like WWWW and Ness addressed above, they should be given one warning when it comes to that, and a reference to the forum rules, but since they were referred to the rules, the next time they bust out with a prejudiced and hateful flame, they should be banned immediately ... more on "If I were a mod ..." some other time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brillyfresh on 2003-08-03 19:03 ]</font>

Artemidorus
Aug 3, 2003, 09:46 PM
On 2003-08-03 14:20, Ness wrote:
[...]
Also I think banning people just becuase the are homophobic or racist is a liitle harcsh. When I rist got here I was a homophobe (ask Abdur if you don't believe me), but I can around. As long as they don't make racist or homophobic remarks they should be allowed to stay.

Aslo I think we could make a debate section, but only give certain people access to it. And those that want access have to prove themselves.

Other than my English teacher side flaming due to spelling... I love it! I love it! I love it!
Thats the best idea I've heard all summer (and more than likely the only original idea I've heard at all). I love debating, and I agree 100% that just because someone may be homophobic or racist or sexist does not mean in any way that they are bad people and/or can't post.

I would totally LOVE to "prove myself" in a debate. I don't aim to make people agree with me, but I try to point out injustices n' stuff (ok, I know that sounds cheezy like in a superman comic, but gimme a break ^o^). But you have to forgive my rant about the pope and gays, it truly started out as a pure RANT. (ya know, its soo annoying with people randomly saying ' i think christianity sucks' in threads involving religion, ugh.)

argumentum ad hominem ... hmm... thats cool~ I wish I had an empty space in my school schedule to take a philosophy and/or sociology class. darn. oh well, yay!

Mystil
Aug 4, 2003, 12:34 AM
And I was never able to respond to W's post. That's why I hate debates. It always gets locked and I never get to explain my points, or make corrections in my posts. But I understand the reason for it, thanks to the person who said what he said about gays...

brillyfresh
Aug 4, 2003, 02:00 AM
On 2003-08-03 19:46, Artemidorus wrote:
(ya know, its soo annoying with people randomly saying ' i think christianity sucks' in threads involving religion, ugh.)

religion threads are probably hard to keep unlocked ... i have a lot to say about it, but i'm willing to bet that there are some who don't want to hear what i have to say ... oh well, let them close their minds to possibilities

i certainly feel inclined to rip on religions, but i won't rip on any person because of their religion, because if that's how they live a happy life, good for them ... more power to ya

argumentum ad hominem ... hmm... thats cool~ I wish I had an empty space in my school schedule to take a philosophy and/or sociology class. darn. oh well, yay!

A Dictionary of Common Philosophical Terms by Gregory Pence ... best book i got out of my ethics class

Mystil
Aug 4, 2003, 02:22 AM
Pfft..

Whatever..

Sorry Ness but this isn't going to happen. Might as well not get mad over it.

Wewt
Aug 4, 2003, 05:16 AM
On 2003-08-03 22:34, Silhouette wrote:
And I was never able to respond to W's post. That's why I hate debates. It always gets locked and I never get to explain my points, or make corrections in my posts. But I understand the reason for it, thanks to the person who said what he said about gays...

Yup. Don't you just love it?

We can still talk about it away from the forums, but it's not the same...

Edit:

I agree with Brilly about religion threads, they can never stay unlocked. I really don't like religion, and I can't stand when people preach it to me. For some reason, my closest friend happens to be an almost-orthodox Christian.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WWWWWWWWWWWW on 2003-08-04 03:22 ]</font>

Ness
Aug 4, 2003, 05:36 AM
I'm not a fan of religion either. There was a time when church was actually worth going to, but now it's just a place for politics and support beam for intolerance. I'm not saying that all churchs are like that, but the ones I have been to are. I could go on, but I'm not in the mood right now.

Kadavreski
Aug 4, 2003, 11:35 AM
yawn

_J
Aug 6, 2003, 06:44 AM
yawn

Sickening...isn't it?