PDA

View Full Version : It's real to me...

Neojin
Mar 22, 2001, 11:52 AM
Hows it going this morning? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Hey i'm just curious with this new server thing bout how many items have you have had probs with...

I got on the other night and was pretty upset two I had, and one I had traded must of been duped, really bumed me out. But heres the thing, I traded for them like they were real, and IMHO they are, some people are like you know delete them or whatever they are eeeevile.

However, (I wuv you DG) I think there are cases where it a personal decision wether or not you keep the item. What do I mean? Well lets say a boyfriend buys his gal a nice Diamond ring, however hes low on money and knows he can get a better deal at a Pawn Shop. Well he buys a nice ring and gives it to his gal.

She's estatic and over come with joy at the gift. Well one day you are doing finances, morgages etc, and you have some items along with the ring appraised for insurance value. Well guess what? Yep its a fake, good old Cubic Zircronium (sp).

Now there is two ways the Woman can handle this.

One, take the ring and THROW it at the man's face, accusing him of buying a fake and pawning it off as real, and saying she is not waring that piece of shit fake ring (real biatch huh?) or

Two, be sad that yes its not a real diamond but also knows her Man is very sad as well. She keeps the ring on, why well for one it still looks like a beautiful diamond ring, and two it still is precious to her because of the thought. They loose out on the value of what the ring was thought to be in the end, and know they can NEVER re sell it for what its worth.

So what is learned, well first of all the Pawn Shop was the first mistake, this is like a person or friend even you dont totaly trust or know the validity of the item. And we know the item has no worth, only to ourselves and can never be anymore than something pretty but empty.

I dunno, its still early but I hope maybe I can make sense of this all later.

Neojin
Mar 22, 2001, 02:17 PM
Must be a touchy subject with some huh...cus obviously no one is touching it. I'm sorry its not about how sexy my PSO character is or cybering.

The_Saint
Mar 22, 2001, 02:22 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I had lotsa cool rares, but when the server change came around...the fear of being without the game made me drop EVERYTHING i wasn't COMPLETELY sure about. Funny thing is though, i hardly ever used 'em. I was to afraid of losing them. So now, i have made a list of just a few rares i WILL use and i WILL find.....lemmee know if there is anything i can help u with, although i am an ORAN and find virtually NO force weapons, i will give you any help i can. In the meantime i will be searching for my lost rares....

Seutekh
Mar 22, 2001, 02:35 PM
Actually Neo... it *is* a touchy subject, but that's why I think it deserves more posts.

I was actually happy I didn't have any duped items... but I stopped trading a long time ago. If I'd found out the few items I had weren't real, they'd be history right now. No selling, no giving them away. I'd drop them and quit the game.

The thing is, it's an item that's not supposed to exist. I like your analogy about the ring, but how would the couple feel if they found out the ring was stolen? Or something even worse? (I'll leave that up to your imagination) Just like those duped items in your hands, it's something that not only wansn't the real thing, but didn't belong in their hands, even if they'd paid for it.

PowerSlave
Mar 22, 2001, 02:36 PM
Hmmmm......gets the old noggin going

One thing I would change in the hypothetical example is to make it so the boyfriend actually dropped alot of cash for the ring. Because it seems as though you gave up hard earned items in your trade.

In my oppinion, when you trade items you have worked hard for, you are not really getting something for nothing as you would if some duper came in and dropped items all over the place. Thus, these items you have have meaning to you.

The Verdict: Sure it sucks that they may have been duped, but I would not throw them away because you gave up hard earned stuff for them. I would however toss em if they were given for free.

My 2 cents

jazzyfox
Mar 22, 2001, 03:48 PM
Well, I don't trade much, but I also don't take candy from strangers. I think the part about getting stuff like that from people for free isn't so hot. I mean, if it's that cool, and they're giving it away when it's something they could use, it's probably a hot item. But when trading, they want something in return, which makes one think it's worth more to them.

I've traded maybe, once, and with a good friend who I know is all legit. And he's given me a few things too, but always stuff he can't use. If you traded for it, and you don't mind it being not quite the real thing, and it's worth it, I say go for it. This assume you gots 100% certainty of it being a dupe. Of course, if it's hacked up and totally not possible ever and ever, I say dump that beach. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Danger_Girl
Mar 22, 2001, 04:45 PM
Neo I just saw your post here. It's very important to me that you know I realize it was completly misintentional. The whole thing was my fault. I should have never backed out of the original deal. Sorry about that whole mess. Anyway I'm so tired right now I can barely keep a thought in my head (not that thats new http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif).

Fargo
Mar 22, 2001, 10:19 PM
Although I sympathize greatly with all of you out there who have lost out because they got traded dupe'd items, I feel I have to point out something everyone else had missed so far.
Yes, We all have our grievances against cheaters and dupers - some of us may have duped quite innocently as either back-up or for close friends. But for the majority of Dupers who do it for a fake profit - ie: trading a duped rare for someone's real item, or worse, the racketeers who sell duped crap on E-bay (the fact that they're only taking advantage of idiots is a mute point); the time of reckoning is NOW.
Since Sega's implementation of the Dupe screen - everybody's getting rid of possible dupes left right and center to avoid being caught by the Sega gestapo goonsquad and being banned etc.

What this actually means is PSO goes back to day 1. That's right, before gameshark codes (since GS users are pretty much fucked these days), before duping. Therefore - in a couple of weeks time, when you trade - it will more than likely be for a REAL ITEM, since all the fakes have been lost to the ether, as no-one wants to lose their game...

Does this not make anybody happy? Hell, I might even break my no trading EVER rule...

Sheogorath
Mar 23, 2001, 04:02 AM
Although I detest Nejoin's attitude (Apparently, if no one responds to her post she thinks they are instead cyber'ing...real mature. Whats even stranger is that I have her card) I agree with this.

Trading in PSO is like going to an all-night party, getting drunk, and getting an offer to stay the night with some trashy girl, and you haven't been with anyone for months. Hmm..should you risk knowing you could be getting "damaged" goods to satisfy your urge, or should you just pass it up and go back to the party and let some other guy take her?

Imagine that woman is a Lavis cannon. Sure would be GREAT to have it, but is it worth damning your character?

BWS-1
Mar 23, 2001, 07:47 AM
odd. Why? well, I had an Orotiagito(the girl had 12 of'em), a Lavis Cannon (the guy dupe it in front of me! those were the days were I tought that duping was commun and sane), a Spread Needle and a Stag Cutlery in trades that I suspect to be dups of real weapons.

Still the odd thing is that, I've been with those weapons for more then 2 weeks now and I use my Oroti 110% of the time (my fav). I just turn lvl 100 with my HUcast 3 days ago and I finally found the spread needle for real, offline in the ruins. Did I mention that I play online about 6 hours a day?
So if they delete player's game for owning dups, well I'm one lucky HUcast, or am I? Is that really about luck? or maybe it has never been true that you get kicked if you have dups on you. Personally, I think that if YOU create the dups, you get caught, otherwise, they can't see you.
My final words: enjoy your dup Lavis Cannon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Sisqua
Mar 23, 2001, 08:32 AM
Firstly Sheogorath, I think you have misread Neojins second post. Unless I am very much mistaken, she was making an observation about the topic of conversation, not suggesting that everyone was cybering. Be careful using strong words like 'detest' unless you're sure you have your facts right.

On the subject of trading, my general feeling is that if I don't know someone I don't want their items. I generally only swap or take items from 2 people. Both of them I have known for a long time and we have played over 100 hours of gametime together. I know that I have no duped items because I've seen them find the stuff they have given me and vice-versa.

As for the 'enjoy the duped lavis' comment - I don't think I could. I can't see any great enjoyment from using a weapon that has been created by cheating whether by me or someone else. A couple of days ago, I got a double saber - meant the world to me because I knew it was legit and I got it through adventuring with my mates. Hopefully one day I'll get a spread needle - this is top of my wishlist. But for me, that promise of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - the thrill of the chase - is the fun bit, which is why I'll never take the easy option and trade with dupers.

S.

Excalibur
Mar 23, 2001, 08:33 AM
I give a lot of items an mesetas to people I don't know, as a gift.
I don't think about it twice, 'cause I earned them with my hands and my very own sweat.
If I have a item duplicate (no, not duped... I mean found more then once) in the store and somebody ask me about it, then why shouldn't I make a gift????

It is so nice to see happy people out there..

But the funny thing is.. I don't take items from people I don't know.. I'm to afraid to receive duped items.. I know, it sounds realy stupid..

but I liked to give then to take http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

greetings from switzerland
Excalibur

BWS-1
Mar 23, 2001, 08:49 AM
I guess I have to explain myself about the Lavis comment.

First, I said that for all those afraid of holding a duped weapon in there hand because they think they are gonna poof! out of the game.

second, well, beleive it or not, I don't enjoy my Orotiagito as much as I use it, why? 'cause it's dupe. But I'm trying as hard as I can to find a real one! That way I'll be more proud of it...

I also want to say that I sold the duped spread and twin AFTER finding one offline and that I'll sell my Stag AFTER I'll find one by myself. Why should I sell it now? The bad thing to do would be to trade it for a real weapon but that would be evil, EVIL! and I have no intentions of doing so.

Neojin
Mar 23, 2001, 11:01 AM
Sheo, you silly willy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif U know why you got my card, heehee http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Sisqua said it right, I just pokin fun at da topics dat come up lately, I think you got it with the "I agree" part yes?

Ryiko tank everybodys for sharing, it hard choice but me know what to do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

jett862
Mar 23, 2001, 11:07 AM
Hmm I wouldnt know about this cus my friend took the controller and unplugged it. I restarted my game and it says my game data was corrupt and finally I got in just to find all my stuff gone.

jazzyfox
Mar 23, 2001, 02:04 PM
I agree with ya Excalibur. I give out stuff all the time, when my bank gets packed with stuff I'll never use. (not full, just stuff I'm not into) Yesterday I handed off a Hell gungir, delsabre's right arm, and a gush claymore to a guy a few levels lower than me. It's kinda funny sometimes, when the gifted are suprised "Huh? This stuff? For me?".

Sometimes I feel weird about it, giving stuff away, but not really taking.. (odd huh, should be the other way around http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif ) But then I think that they don't have to take things from me if they don't want to, just like I decided whether or not to take from others, indepentent of their giving.

The_Saint
Mar 23, 2001, 02:17 PM
Pretty sad, but when i do this, i feel i HAVE to tell the person the item is NOT duped. Can't believe PSO has come to this....

MechDan
Mar 23, 2001, 02:39 PM
I also give away extra stuff. I play offline a lot, which naturally fills up the bank quickly. But I don't accept anything unless I'm starting a new character and want some mundane stuff to help equip a handgun (i.e. a multislot frame and a few Marksman/Arm units). My RL friends and fiancee get first dibs on my extra stuff, but there's still overflow to strangers.

I don't really have anything against people using duped items in and of itself. Essentially, the game's supposed to be fun and if that duped Spread Needle makes the game fun for you, that's cool (as long as it's not at the expense of the fun of your teammates, of course). Unfortunately, the overall effect of all the duped items is that legitimate rare trading with strangers is no longer possible. I used to find trading fun, and now that's gone.