PDA

View Full Version : Episode 3... a card game... why?

Deluge
Aug 2, 2003, 10:50 PM
Would someone be so kind as to explain to me why PSO Ep.3 will be a card game?

Para
Aug 2, 2003, 11:10 PM
Guess SEGA wanted something different. And if you like strategy games I guess this is your type of game.

TangledWeb3917
Aug 2, 2003, 11:19 PM
i think there trying to appeal to a new group of gamers ... have you seen how kids flock around the card based combat games its insane ... i just hope they make a new pso game that im gona want to play http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

LollipopLolita
Aug 2, 2003, 11:27 PM
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicteam.com%2Fpso3% 2F0712.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Deluge
Aug 2, 2003, 11:33 PM
I do enjoy strategy games, but I like real character RPG fighting games like PSO Episodes 1 and 2 better. Thats why I was hoping Ep. 3 would be like 1 and 2.

ginko990
Aug 3, 2003, 12:47 AM
Sega dosnt like money.

SubstanceD
Aug 3, 2003, 07:06 AM
I can understand a change from real time combat to turn based comabt but I still don't get what C.A.R.D.S contributes to the turn based gameplay, So technically the question of "Why Cards?" is still valid. PSO episode 3 would have worked just as well if if the comabt was based on a same style as the classic Phantasy Star series.

Atax
Aug 3, 2003, 07:17 AM
It's a card game because it's a carry over from E1&2. It was to be a mini game in E1&2, known as PSO Card Battle, but since it was removed I suppose ST didn't want the work the put into it gone to waste, and thus turned it into a stand alone game.

saffaya
Aug 3, 2003, 09:11 AM
I alaways thought it was supposed to be a REAL CARDS game very long before it was announced to be the NEXT PSO.

EliteDragoon
Aug 3, 2003, 09:12 AM
mabey PSO 4 will be rpg.

St_Botchua
Aug 3, 2003, 09:15 AM
yeah sega just wants to jump on the yu-gi-oh (dont think i speeled that right) bandwagon

Loser
Aug 3, 2003, 10:21 AM
lol yeah maybe but i hate Yu-Gi-Oh

clance
Aug 3, 2003, 10:49 AM
Yu-ga-whore (yu gi ho) is the sort of thing geeks play at school. Ive seen them play it, its so lame. And to think my fav game is gonna BE a card game!

Stegy
Aug 3, 2003, 11:21 AM
I did play Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while a few months ago. It's not that bad..

I currently play Pokemon. Yes, I do play the card game. In a way, I'm looking forward to the new PSO game because I like playing TCG's ;x

And the thing is, it's not possible to have the "one powerful deck". It's not possible at all. Pokemon has three Tier 1 decks in the Modified format, each one people able to take out the other; but there ARE rogue decks that DO well.

I say: if you like playing any TCG's, then PSO C.A.R.D Battle may be interesting =)

Malkavian
Aug 3, 2003, 12:29 PM
Actually Sonic Team started planning to do this Card Game around late 2001, early 2002. If they announced it in may 2002 at E3 they thought it some meonths before at least.
So I Doubt they made a Card game to be in the yu-gi-oh bandwagon.

Deluge
Aug 3, 2003, 12:48 PM
Thank you! Thats the word I was looking for, real time combat.

saffaya
Aug 3, 2003, 02:42 PM
On 2003-08-03 10:29, Malkavian wrote:
Actually Sonic Team started planning to do this Card Game around late 2001, early 2002. If they announced it in may 2002 at E3 they thought it some meonths before at least.
So I Doubt they made a Card game to be in the yu-gi-oh bandwagon.

Wow, Malk ! Been some time !
So you do confirm that it really was planned as a real cards game. And never spoken about as a software game.
That's why I was so shocked by their slick move to turn that possibly interesting PSO byproduct into THE NEXT PSO.

rena-ko
Aug 3, 2003, 04:19 PM
can you all please stop to whine about it?
you wont change a thing now.

ep3 is like that because card games are very popular in japan since decades - dont get to high just because you watch tv and know the name of yu-gi-oh. thats just one game.

ep3 is - imho - not for those who are new to the pso-games anyway, its for those who play pso since several years by now - those who are bored by the normal game, by battle, by c-mode (may it be normal or even TA). its for a change and i for my part really appreciate this.

finally, noone is forcing you to buy it. its just like a bonus disk that you dont need to actually play the game.
if you arent into 'card-strategy games' then leave it alone. it will be better for you and better for those who actually are. just have fun with ep 1&2 - there will be plenty of new (online-)content anyway to keep you busy.

peace

Kanore
Aug 3, 2003, 04:38 PM
On 2003-08-03 07:12, EliteDragoon wrote:
mabey PSO 4 will be rpg.

Whoa, Ep 3 isn't an RPG? Wtf? You're playing the Role of your Hunter and it's not an RPG? That's new. Please tell me how it isn't an RPG. Thank you very much.

clance
Aug 3, 2003, 04:53 PM
On 2003-08-03 09:21, Stegy wrote:
I did play Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while a few months ago. It's not that bad..

I currently play Pokemon. Yes, I do play the card game. In a way, I'm looking forward to the new PSO game because I like playing TCG's ;x

And the thing is, it's not possible to have the "one powerful deck". It's not possible at all. Pokemon has three Tier 1 decks in the Modified format, each one people able to take out the other; but there ARE rogue decks that DO well.

I say: if you like playing any TCG's, then PSO C.A.R.D Battle may be interesting =)

All right pokeboy we dont want your life story!

Blade21
Aug 3, 2003, 04:58 PM
I could care less, It's not possible for me to hate something I don't like. I'll try it, rent it or something, then make a decidion to buy it from there.

Para
Aug 3, 2003, 06:08 PM
This game is similar to...
Hero Clix + Yu Gi Oh. Not just Yu Gi Oh alone.
Hero Clix has more of the enviroment add-on strategy

monkeyfist
Aug 3, 2003, 06:52 PM
just accept that the phantasy star series has constanly reinvented itself to stay fresh. phantasy star wasn't alway real time you know. it used to be turn based, and cola and burgers used to heal, and there used to be four members in a party, and there used to be a talking cat. and this is all phantasy star one. just accept that it will be a card game and quit yer whining. who knows, you just might like it.

and by the way, yu-gi-ho has to be the saddest thing ive ever heard. let's show a least a little bit of maturity on these boards, ok??

Kanore
Aug 3, 2003, 07:02 PM
On 2003-08-03 16:52, monkeyfist wrote:
just accept that the phantasy star series has constanly reinvented itself to stay fresh. phantasy star wasn't alway real time you know. it used to be turn based, and cola and burgers used to heal, and there used to be four members in a party, and there used to be a talking cat. and this is all phantasy star one. just accept that it will be a card game and quit yer whining. who knows, you just might like it.

and by the way, yu-gi-ho has to be the saddest thing ive ever heard. let's show a least a little bit of maturity on these boards, ok??

Great post.

I would also like to include a statement here.

Do any of you have Wind Waker and like it? Did any of you ever say "Holy **** WW is going to blow?"

That's exactly what some of you are doing to C.A.R.D Revolution. Give it a chance, or stop you damn whining. Predicting how a video game is going to turn out popularity-wise is something only a loser would do.

Namevah
Aug 3, 2003, 07:18 PM
Really, I like the new direction. Why? Because even if they made new weapons, new areas, new characters, ect it will still be the same repetitive, mindless yet additive game from before. I love PSO Ep. 1&2 but you cant get me to spend fifty bucks on a new PSO that plays like the other.

But if they did continue with the same gameplay that Ep. 1&2 had Im sure it would eventually bore players and will stop buying it. Seriously, do you think that the mindless gameplay that is PSO would keep you entertained through its (most likly) many sequals. Sonic Team knew this and decided to change it before it went down the road of "Tomb Raider".*

With the new style fights should be more deep than the same run-up-to-the-enemy-and-slice-him-to-death and will actually require more thought into your actions. After all, you can only do so much with Ep. 1&2's gameplay.

Thank-you. I've been thinking about this for a great while and needed to release my thoughts somewhere were people could read it.

*This is really just an exageration of what might happen if Sonic Team decided to reap of the addiction that is housed in PSO

ShadowJedi
Aug 3, 2003, 07:39 PM
Playing PS, I got addicted... while having one character on the team I got to level 20.... whoops...
And testing PS2, i realize the battle system is very different, faster and more versatile.
In PS3 it suddenly became very strategic.
And lastly, in PS4 you could create combos of techniques to make supermoves, kinda like a beat 'em up super attack (Marvel vs. Capcom style).
Now, in PSO to PSO ep1&2 the gameplay has been the exact same thing, with the difference of first one new difficulty, and then a new, impossible to beat by only playing it episode. I HATE OLGA FLOW.

Then, after playing the same game, running through forest 2000 million times, Sonic Team comes up with yet another gameplay type, using cards.
I just hope they don't drive into a tree like Capcom did with Megaman Battle Network.
They've never let me down with a battle system, why would they now?

Stegy
Aug 3, 2003, 08:32 PM
Wow, I like how CLANCE replies to this thread just to try and make fun of me. GOOD JOB ;x

I really don't see EP3 being all that bad. Card games aren't that bad, but some do flounder and others.. well, suck.

I'm just wondering: HOW is Sonic Team going to make the game? Do we design a character then roam around with a deck of cards?

ChokingVictim
Aug 4, 2003, 12:25 AM
my opinion....the series peaked at PS4...

the gameplay of PSO is usually tight, target issues aside, revolutionary since the inception on the DC..

as an RPG PSO seems very weak to me in that aspect... but the story driven aspects of the 8 and 16 bit days seem very watered down currently. some quests help but it's like a bandage over a gaping wound.

it's a tough balancing act here, i won't deny that.. gameplay vs. story elements vs. online issues.

this being said, the card elements of pso3 really aren't going where i could imagine any of the old fans could be really into. be a yank gaijin i really doubt i could even imagine what the jp market is like. as far as the western market goes, the only CCG i can imagine having any sort of cred is magic the gathering. being more like a geek pen and paper D&D affair then a saturday morning "gotta buy em all" saccharine kiddy targeted market goal.

whatever happened to the product placement cartoon show? is it just me or did transformers (not that new armada BS) and GI Joe have somewhat deeper stories than this nauseating poke-yugi crap?...or am i just reminiscing my younger days with rose colored spex here?

well this post has been a schizo mess, but maybe these sega folks know what they're doing for their primary market to consider... but to anyone who grew up playing 8/16 bit PS's in the states who is currently doing the PSO thing, is anyone going to be buying this?!?!?! given all the sorts of connotations with japanese card type games.....
of course i only speak for my small demographic here.. but hell- it's all i have

the only hope is that there is some full fledged PSV coming our way someday

Para
Aug 4, 2003, 12:29 AM
actually the card game might let more of an expansion of items, new areas and such. i mean its alot easier to design more battle arenas than to make more PSO ep1&2 levels.

alfredpacker
Aug 4, 2003, 03:26 AM
On 2003-08-02 20:50, Deluge wrote:
Would someone be so kind as to explain to me why PSO Ep.3 will be a card game?

Probablly because they wanted to take a game with potential and turn it into crap.

polishedweasel
Aug 4, 2003, 04:53 AM
Before I even read anything that anyone has said..I'd like to ask why this isn't locked yet. That's it.

Xyhthyx
Aug 4, 2003, 03:40 PM
So many things to could of done to give the game more, more of everything. How about new areas? Harder areas! Bring to cap to level 300! New items, new rares and new weapons. Maybe even new characters? Retarded stuff like this may keep bored level 200 players around.

Or maybe not, maybe this is a good move, but they can't possible expect to keep Ep I&II fans happy for long after this.

Sedyne
Aug 4, 2003, 04:11 PM
Sega didn't do it, there DUMBASS SONIC TEAM committe did it. Sonic Team sucks balls.