PDA

View Full Version : Light at the end of the tunnel?

VioletSkye
Aug 3, 2003, 08:24 PM
Ok for those of you with short attention spans, you may want to skip this thread. its nothing important, groundbreaking or overly profound. It is merely a possible scenario that crossed my mind. After numerous "woe is me", "gc pso is dead" and "RIP pso" posts, people may not be seeing the silver lining behind this seemingly dark cloud. More to the point, the glitches may help save the hardcore PSO community.

I will spare you the rehash of my personal introduction to PSO and speak to the current state of online GC PSO. As it stands, the GC PSO is wraught with serious exploits that have changed the way many people play the game. They afford pretty much anyone the ability to breeze through the game with little or no challenge at all. It allows people to amass infinite numbers of items and build impressive item libraries. It allows people to experience all the levels and see all the enemies within a relatively short amount of time. In fact, with proper tweaking, a person can easily finish both episodes all the way through ULT in a day. With recoboxing, we see more high level players that didn't earn the huge majority of their exp. So far it sounds pretty grim huh?

However, what we may fail to realize is that once these players (I'm guilty of it also) finish hacking and slashing, duping and exploiting, they will most likely get real bored, real fast. As new games arrive (Soul Calibur 2, Mario kart Dash etc) they will have forgotten about this game. As the cheater masses drop off, what will be left is a smaller community of players who actually enjoy the game as "it was intended to be played." Those who breezed through the game may possible develop a "been there, seen that" attitude towards it.

I have never played the Dreamcast version, which I understand was pretty much ruined by cheats and cheat devices. I am aware of the NOLing and PKing that occurred on that platform, but I often wonder if it is still that way today. Obviously cheaters still exist and always will, but is it still as prevelent as it was? Has the atmosphere changed at all in regards to community as a whole. By that I mean, is it possible to find large groups of legit players who you can adventure with, without having to worry about all the other stuff that went on. It makes sense to me that those who cheated in the game got bored the quickest and moved on. However I could be completely off base, so if there are any DC players please let me know.

Anyway, like I said it had crossed my mind that all these cheats may save the PSO community in the end, because the cheaters will get bored faster and move on, leaving the "old school" players to enjoy the game.

BTW I do not profess to be a legit player. Although I do have 100% legit chars, the majority of my chars are tweaked and maxed. I truly never got into the "true spirit" of the game. I simply wanted to see everything as quickly as I could. Anyway, this threads not about me or my playing philosophy.

Brett
Aug 3, 2003, 08:36 PM
I agree that it could help. I'm by no means legit, I know all the tricks although I only dupe. But it won't help enough, I'm gonna be one that sticks around and I'm a cheater cause I like to play with my friends. if all my friends quit then it'll be a different story, but I have legit friends who hopefully won't quit. but it may help get rid of quite a few and I'd be kinda happy about that, I mainly wanna see some of the cheaters that brag about it tho. I'm fine with cheating but it's people being asses in the lobby that I can't take. I wanna see all those jerks in the lobby go bye bye, I used to like the lobby but now it's just a horrid place.

VioletSkye
Aug 3, 2003, 08:40 PM
On 2003-08-03 18:36, Brett wrote:
I agree that it could help. I'm by no means legit, I know all the tricks although I only dupe. But it won't help enough, I'm gonna be one that sticks around and I'm a cheater cause I like to play with my friends. if all my friends quit then it'll be a different story, but I have legit friends who hopefully won't quit. but it may help get rid of quite a few and I'd be kinda happy about that, I mainly wanna see some of the cheaters that brag about it tho. I'm fine with cheating but it's people being asses in the lobby that I can't take. I wanna see all those jerks in the lobby go bye bye, I used to like the lobby but now it's just a horrid place.

Agreed the lobbies are inundated with little punks being obnoxious. And Vega is hell, I stay as far away as I can from that lobby.

Reenee
Aug 3, 2003, 09:32 PM
Violet, do you predict that while these exploits can bore someone to death, they can annoy others to get their laughs?

VioletSkye
Aug 3, 2003, 09:51 PM
On 2003-08-03 19:32, Reenee wrote:
Violet, do you predict that while these exploits can bore someone to death, they can annoy others to get their laughs?

Yes unfortunately. But even that must get old at some point. At least I would hope it would. If someone truly relishes being the bane of others, then I would more pity them than be annoyed by them http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Castoth
Aug 3, 2003, 10:06 PM
This is, of course, assuming no harmful AR codes are ever made. If so, then the bored cheaters can turn to those codes to cause harm to the community and get their fun that way.

Part of me somewhat wants to get bored with the game so I can finally move on to other games. I'm currently using the King's special on my MIDAS MECHGUNS like crazy, just so I can finally achieve a high level that I never was able to attain before since I had trouble concentrating on just one character.

VioletSkye
Aug 3, 2003, 10:30 PM
On 2003-08-03 20:06, Castoth wrote:
This is, of course, assuming no harmful AR codes are ever made. If so, then the bored cheaters can turn to those codes to cause harm to the community and get their fun that way.

Part of me somewhat wants to get bored with the game so I can finally move on to other games. I'm currently using the King's special on my MIDAS MECHGUNS like crazy, just so I can finally achieve a high level that I never was able to attain before since I had trouble concentrating on just one character.

If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what develops in regards to the AR. Curious minds never stop. Its been said:

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

There are a lot of people dedicated to both finding and releasing codes for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-08-03 20:36 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Aug 3, 2003, 11:29 PM
I think the Dreamcast versions have shown incrontravertably that Cheating will not "Get old" and cheaters will not "Move on". As long as there is a way to make new cheats, it will keep many cheaters interested. For now it is the Shop Lady glitches.. later it very well may be the AR or another cheat device.

Even those cheaters who DO get bored, will probably hand their copies of the game down to their younger siblings or friends.. who will find the experience wholly new and exciting for them. Yet to those of us standing in the lobbies, or trying to hold onto some semblance of actual gameplay, nothing has changed.

Pandora's Box has been opened.. and there's no way things are going to go back to the way they once were. ._.

VioletSkye
Aug 4, 2003, 12:10 AM
Nice to hear from a DC player. Sorry to hear that things have not changed for the better on that system. Having given it more thought, I may have been overly optimistic about the legions of cheaters leaving the game. Thinking back to D2, it dawned on me that nothing has changed there either and that has been out longer than the DC PSO.

brillyfresh
Aug 4, 2003, 01:39 AM
not to mention the fact that people still play Diablo 2, such will be the case with this game too, as long as the core integrity of the game is left intact

i lost my interest in this game some time before the shop glitch was widespread, not because of the cheating that existed then, but because i had a life before PSO, and i will continue to have one afterwards

new people will come along, old people will disappear, some will stay for the duration ... that's not just PSO, or Vega, or Antares, or even DC, GC, or Xbox .... that's the rest of the world, that's life, that's everywhere you go, and all i have to say about it is that i had fun

(this isn't goodbye by no means, not yet anyway)

don't take this game so seriously, it's just a game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brillyfresh on 2003-08-03 23:41 ]</font>

Zuna
Aug 4, 2003, 04:42 AM
may i am kinda crazy, once i really cried a lot because i discover i really have no life, I just played PSO day and night, even overnight, ignoring other activities, dont want to go out, even ppl visiting me is annoying.. and I just stay at home always just for 'a game'...I really think whats it for?? now I am still playing, a lot less, but still playing, but after this month I will totally quit it online.

I am no legit player, and i cant resist to have all wonferdul weapons and items, but that doesnt make me quitting PSO, i quit because I have my life back ( I will go to sch and work, super busy that can only let me to have free time on sundays but I would rather spend with my family), and also, most of my friends online there they quit already, actually iam so addicted to this game is that I enjoy going on adventure with my friends, going thro forest to ruins, ep 1 to 2, we play, we laugh, we share what we have found, and exp.. congrats each others when lvl up.. although you can say I will be able to have other friends online, but the meaning has changed.. I really miss the time before, and now I can only contact with them using MSN..

so these days I really have no courage to get online to play, as I have to join other games with ppl I dont know who they are..there are always some nice ppl thro..but it really changes already, at least to me..

About cheating problem..no need to mention it, as long as there is a game, there is a cheat.. it is like real world, there are different kinds of ppl, and there are different kinds of players too.

Ppl quit and pass the game to others..even the cheating knowledge too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif so some cheaters gone, some cheaters join... this will never end, unless really sega does something to stop it.. at that time, then there is really light at the end of the tunnel, especially to those legit players..as they wont be bothered by cheaters anymore..but who will care anymore ?? Ppl will just forget about this, and move to ep 3 , or other games..

I just hope, everyone has their own reasons to stay,to play or quit, just enjoy what you have chosen... it is right, or it is wrong, it is not up to us to judge...save some time..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zuna on 2003-08-04 02:48 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Aug 4, 2003, 11:15 AM
Like Brilly, I always saw PSO as merely a game to pass some time also, but like Zuna (good to see you back http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ) i also have made some really great friends online. I don't really play that much at all, except to test different things, but as far as actually adventuring with people, that is almost non-existant. But I see now the folly in my thinking. People will come and go but cheating will always exist, its been proven over and over.

TheDeepForce_5
Aug 4, 2003, 06:20 PM
I, for one, hope that legions of cheaters quit the game.

I started playing in January and then, duping existed, but it wasn't so easy, and there were much more legit players. That was when I enjoyed PSO the most, and I played offline with my friends all the time. Then as time when on, duping started taking over, but I still remained legit.

I still remember people used to laugh at me, cause I would be using a Guilty Light on Very Hard, or everyone I played with would be like, "Want a LV. 200 Mag, or want some free rares." I took the rares even though I knew I could never use them. Back then I had no idea how to raise a MAG, and I got corrupted so much I almost quit. Actually I did quit for the month of June after getting corrupted for the 5th time, and after sending SEGA a very furious e-mail, they allowed me to send my game back for a replacement. Which has worked uch better, but even though they claimed it would not FSOD at all, it still does, just not as much.

Anyway, basically I was a legit player till after I got my new game back from SEGA the shop dupe method was discovered, I had already been corrupted like a million times and it was even more degrading to have a 9 year old brother who had become so attached to PSO, I would come home and he would always be on it, more than me, for crying out loud. So after having a brother doing Ultimate (Samurai Jack), and me (Sandstorm GX2) still doing Hard, I figured why not dupe?

Anyway the point is, I'm about to quit this game as well, the duping and everything, and just when I thought it would stop, Multi Weapons started, now I can't even find trading games some days, cause everyon ehas everything, it's just sad. This game really could've had something going for it...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I'm hoping SEGA will do a much better job on EP 3.

THE_MERCENARY
Aug 4, 2003, 11:51 PM
cheating does not ruin but changes the feel of the game, for example when pk mode is found trusting others is important

SC2
Aug 5, 2003, 06:57 PM
On 2003-08-03 18:24, VioletSkye wrote:
Ok for those of you with short attention spans, you may want to skip this thread. its nothing important, groundbreaking or overly profound. It is merely a possible scenario that crossed my mind. After numerous "woe is me", "gc pso is dead" and "RIP pso" posts, people may not be seeing the silver lining behind this seemingly dark cloud. More to the point, the glitches may help save the hardcore PSO community.

I will spare you the rehash of my personal introduction to PSO and speak to the current state of online GC PSO. As it stands, the GC PSO is wraught with serious exploits that have changed the way many people play the game. They afford pretty much anyone the ability to breeze through the game with little or no challenge at all. It allows people to amass infinite numbers of items and build impressive item libraries. It allows people to experience all the levels and see all the enemies within a relatively short amount of time. In fact, with proper tweaking, a person can easily finish both episodes all the way through ULT in a day. With recoboxing, we see more high level players that didn't earn the huge majority of their exp. So far it sounds pretty grim huh?

However, what we may fail to realize is that once these players (I'm guilty of it also) finish hacking and slashing, duping and exploiting, they will most likely get real bored, real fast. As new games arrive (Soul Calibur 2, Mario kart Dash etc) they will have forgotten about this game. As the cheater masses drop off, what will be left is a smaller community of players who actually enjoy the game as "it was intended to be played." Those who breezed through the game may possible develop a "been there, seen that" attitude towards it.

I have never played the Dreamcast version, which I understand was pretty much ruined by cheats and cheat devices. I am aware of the NOLing and PKing that occurred on that platform, but I often wonder if it is still that way today. Obviously cheaters still exist and always will, but is it still as prevelent as it was? Has the atmosphere changed at all in regards to community as a whole. By that I mean, is it possible to find large groups of legit players who you can adventure with, without having to worry about all the other stuff that went on. It makes sense to me that those who cheated in the game got bored the quickest and moved on. However I could be completely off base, so if there are any DC players please let me know.

Anyway, like I said it had crossed my mind that all these cheats may save the PSO community in the end, because the cheaters will get bored faster and move on, leaving the "old school" players to enjoy the game.

BTW I do not profess to be a legit player. Although I do have 100% legit chars, the majority of my chars are tweaked and maxed. I truly never got into the "true spirit" of the game. I simply wanted to see everything as quickly as I could. Anyway, this threads not about me or my playing philosophy.

*Cries....Claps Hands....Cries again.....Wipes a Tear* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

killamike
Aug 25, 2003, 12:34 AM
the only way to stop this is to remake pso to a completly online game when thay do that as you noticed with evercrack and all the other mmorpgs thay have no cheating at all

killamike
Aug 25, 2003, 12:35 AM
and i ment to say EVERCRACK.