PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard for Gamecube

clance
Aug 4, 2003, 09:47 AM
How many people acctually own a keyboard? It's just that I can barely pay for HL and BBA to go online and I am wondering if it is worth it to buy a keyboard or not depending on how many people use one.
It was so easy to find a KB on the DC but now on the GC its impossible to find a KB.

**KB-Keyboard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clance on 2003-08-04 07:47 ]</font>

Rep0
Aug 4, 2003, 09:59 AM
You know that you can build your own KB adapter, right?

Kujin
Aug 4, 2003, 10:03 AM
hmm.. tough decision. it's between "i am a retard" and "i own one."

anyway.

yes, i own an ASCII keyboard. just set money aside for a while and save up, it shouldn't be too hard to have enough for one. unless you do not have a job, then i could see why. i decided that it would be well worth getting a keyboard for me because i play the game every day. i used to play on average 12 hours a day and it was well worth it having a keyboard. after i corrupted i stopped playing for a month or so, and i am now getting back in the routine of playing as much as i used to.

i do not regret buying a keyboard.

Benoit
Aug 4, 2003, 11:10 AM
I chose "I'm a retard!" because I do have one, but I made a mistake...
I bought that adaptor they sell at Play Asia. It forces me to use a QWERTY layout plus some additional changes.
http://www.console-tech.com / http://www.indiglo.net is your best bet.

*is from EU and uses AZERTY layout*

Pastullio
Aug 4, 2003, 11:26 AM
i don't have a KB only because the one at http://www.codejunkies.com is out of stock, the ASCII KB is SO expensive and i'm on a tight budget, plus what is wrong with the QWERTY layout? its the same layout thats on your computers KB, and its easy to use

satoshi1
Aug 4, 2003, 12:03 PM
On 2003-08-04 09:10, Benoit wrote:
I chose "I'm a retard!" because I do have one, but I made a mistake...
I bought that adaptor they sell at Play Asia. It forces me to use a QWERTY layout plus some additional changes.
http://www.console-tech.com / http://www.indiglo.net is your best bet.

*is from EU and uses AZERTY layout*

I have that adapter too, you probably bought the american one, there are german ones and french ones, I think.

LiVe4gCn
Aug 4, 2003, 12:09 PM
I picked "I don't have one!" for obvious reasons. But I'm offline only for now but I regret picking that option after reading those posts and should've picked "I'm a retard!" =P.

Alizar
Aug 4, 2003, 12:15 PM
i got mine yesterday at Gamestop. (Yay!)

kat
Aug 4, 2003, 12:47 PM
wow, I"ve never seen a GC keyboard at any retal store.

I ordered mine from codejunkies... and it has issues. I'm not talking button mapping ones (some of the punctuation is odd... but the letters are fine). Mine's defective I guess, and it has a short where I can only type in three second intervels... it makes for odd conversational skills online. I"m not saying that they're all damaged, as I know of other people with nice ones, but mine sure came defective. I haven't sent it back because... well, there isn't much I can do with the distance and the shipping and all that.

HOw did you make your own adaptor, if I might ask? I know that my BF was working on using the GBA-GC cable and a dreamcast keyboard to see if he could make an adaptor... to no avail.

pso14789
Aug 4, 2003, 12:49 PM
I have on, but half the buttons don't do the right thing. I can't use the asterick or colon, and many other symbols are assigned to the wrong button. (I have the Powerboard.)

lordinviso
Aug 4, 2003, 01:08 PM
I also have the KB adapter. Same one as Satoshi1. Costs 20 bucks and very nice. Works with ps/1 keyboards.

_Sinue_
Aug 4, 2003, 01:10 PM
They sell adaptors which are nothing more than a cirucit board with a chip programed to convert a standard KB's input into a format that the NGC will recognise. Since most all keyboards have the same standard input, it should work with almost any KB you try to use - in the IR Wireless ones. I know the one at Indiglo.net is a good adaptor.. I used to play Cmode with the guy who designed it so I got to ask him a bit about it.

I'd say your best bet is to buy your KB in "installments". What I mean is.. spend some cash on the adaptor. It's about 25 bucks, and you can use any standard PS/2 keyboard with it.. so for the mean time you can just borrow the KB off of your PC. A little later down the road, but a PS/2 to USB adaptor from Radio Shack for like 8 bucks and then buy a Apple MAC G4 keyboard. G4 KBs are small enough to conserve space, but large enough to be comfortable. It fits nicely in your lap or on a desk, and comes in a wide variety of colors to match your NGC.

Overall, it should cost you like $50 to $60 dollars. A bit of a more expensive route, but well worth it IMO. Expecially since the G4 KB is USB, you can also use it on your Playstation2 if you happen to have one. Spend you cash on adaptors, because if you have any kind of a serious gaming rig, all those KBs laying around are going to get annoying. I have three laying in front of my moniter. = / Though I can put the DC one away since it doesn't get much use anymore.. and I can buy a NGC to USB converter to use my ASCII KB on my Playstation 2.

lil_devil
Aug 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
Anyone know if you can buy all the keyboard stuff from wal mart or electronics boutique? they are the only stores that basicly sell video games where I live. I saw a Playstation keyboard at Electronics Botique though.

Uber-Chan
Aug 4, 2003, 06:00 PM
I have one, but it is extremely laggy. Any suggestions on how to make this stop?

darkstaraz
Aug 4, 2003, 06:41 PM
Yes it's a good deal to buy GC keyboard. Soon i will get one
because It's more fast than anything else.

kat
Aug 4, 2003, 06:50 PM
On 2003-08-04 16:00, Uber-Chan wrote:
I have one, but it is extremely laggy. Any suggestions on how to make this stop?

I don't supporse yours is a powerboard one from codejunkies like mine? Mine came with a short...

As for where you can buy keyboards, the only keyboards I've ever seen in stores are the Playstation 2's USB one, and the Dreamcast one. I've never seen one for the Box or the cube...

Layrinn
Aug 4, 2003, 08:17 PM
On 2003-08-04 07:59, Rep0 wrote:

Yeah, really... where's the poll option for "I reverse engineered ASCII's and made my own?" ^.~

Hehe, seriously... ego trip aside, there are plenty of inexpensive keyboard solutions out there, including mine. I don't have the time to make a whole bunch of them, and so I don't really advertise them any more. But every so often I have been known to make one for people who ask nicely. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Or you can always visit my website for complete instructions on how to assemble your own.

And as far as I know, my keyboard adapter is the only one that correctly supports several different regional layouts in the same unit. (including US, JP, EU, AZERTY, and others) My adapter also supports programmable macros... you can assign a custom string of characters to a single key. Handy for searching cards, prepping your button layout for battle or challenge mode, feeding your mag, or anything else you can think of to do with your keyboard. The information about my adapter on my website is seriously outdated... I really need to update it. O.o; Anyways... if anyone is interested, you're always welcome to PM me or contact me through my site.

gamerdell7
Aug 4, 2003, 08:33 PM
On 2003-08-04 18:17, Layrinn wrote:

On 2003-08-04 07:59, Rep0 wrote:

Yeah, really... where's the poll option for "I reverse engineered ASCII's and made my own?" ^.~

Hehe, seriously... ego trip aside, there are plenty of inexpensive keyboard solutions out there, including mine. I don't have the time to make a whole bunch of them, and so I don't really advertise them any more. But every so often I have been known to make one for people who ask nicely. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Or you can always visit my website for complete instructions on how to assemble your own.

And as far as I know, my keyboard adapter is the only one that correctly supports several different regional layouts in the same unit. (including US, JP, EU, AZERTY, and others) My adapter also supports programmable macros... you can assign a custom string of characters to a single key. Handy for searching cards, prepping your button layout for battle or challenge mode, feeding your mag, or anything else you can think of to do with your keyboard. The information about my adapter on my website is seriously outdated... I really need to update it. O.o; Anyways... if anyone is interested, you're always welcome to PM me or contact me through my site.

what is this adapter you are talking about?
I got one in ebay that sounds just like that, it was called...uhm.."The happy fun box" or sumthing like that.

Night_Star
Aug 4, 2003, 08:40 PM
On 2003-08-04 10:15, Alizar wrote:
i got mine yesterday at Gamestop. (Yay!)

how?
and where?
cause ive looked all over, and no body sells anything for GC KBs http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif