PDA

View Full Version : Xbox VGA

MeatWagon
Aug 4, 2003, 09:31 PM
Finally I found the best VGA transcoder for the XBOX.
http://www.x2vga.com/x2vga_info_eng.php , I just recieved mine today and it is incredible. This little box even blows away the Key Digital X-blaster. The clarity level is a sight to see. Finally PSO looks the way it did on the Dreamcast vga adapter...

(((meatWagon)))

_Sinue_
Aug 6, 2003, 06:29 AM
I have my doubts.. specifically since the Dreamcast was the only console this generation to output in true VGA format. This allowed people to make VGA adaptors for it reletively cheap. Since it output in VGA standard, many companies threw in VGA output compatability with their games. With the Xbox, you don't have that. No one develops their games with VGA compatablity in mind, because Xbox cannot display a true VGA signal. Same goes for the PS2 and GameCube.

The best you can really hope for, is a component signal converted into VGA. Now, I've never used the product you're pimping, but every other VGA adaptor I've seen out there merely displays a Composite image on a VGA moniter - which quite frankly SUCKS since much of the signal degredation comes from the fact that it's all being transmitted through Composite cables up until the point it reaches the VGA box and the 9pin adaptor.

Honestly, I've never seen a TRUE Component to VGA adaptor out there for under $250 bucks. They're pretty rare to find too, it seems. I had to do a lot of digging for mine, but I think this is about the best purchase you can get.

http://www.keydigital.com/images/products/KD-CTCA2.jpg

This is the Key Digital KD-CTCA2. For detailed specs on the unit, visit Here. (http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=KD-CTCA2) It's a bit pricey, weighing in at $400 US dollars (I've seen it elsewhere retailing for $250 though - shop around), but that's a decent price to pay for such a versitile little box. Not only will it allow you to play your Xbox on a VGA moniter at the absolute BEST picture quality.. but it's compatable with ALL devices capable of displaying Component out signals... such as the PS2, GameCube, DVD players, Digital Camcorders, ect.

There's other products out there, but that's pretty much top of the line if you're talking versitility and preformance. I would like to know how it preforms against the KD-CTCA2.. because if most people out there aren't serious videophiles.. they may not notice much of a difference depending on how it operates. Hopefully it works more like the Key Digital system, and less like those junk Redant "Line Doubler" VGA boxes for the NGC and Xbox.

I can't believe I acutally bought one of those.. I was desperate for VGA though. I hooked it up and almost crapped my pants at how LITTLE of an improvement it made. The "VGA / TV" switch in the front actually made it look WORSE than playing on my regular TV - and the VGA function made it look slightly better. I took it back, got a refund, and bought a GE Multi-In VGA adaptor over at Wal-Mart for like 20 bucks more than I spent on the Redant model. It allows for S-Video in, and that's been a godsend. In some cases it looks worse than displaying through composite.. but in the VAST majority of cases it looks much much better. It also has a VGA IN, so that my Dreamcast can also be hooked up through it.. as well as normal CATV antenna wire for the TV in.

Still.. as soon as I save up the extra cash, I'm buying the KD-CTCA2.

BTW: Which size moniter are you using? I've never liked the flat pannel LCD moniters, though their size is nice. I'm currently using a 20" Envision FlatScreen Tube moniter. I'd like to get one of those 30" models they use for CAD design.. but heh.. those are REALLY expensive. Cheapest I've seen a 30" moniter for is like $1,200. No thanks.. I'll just pull my 20" a little closer to the couch....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2003-08-06 04:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2003-08-06 04:32 ]</font>

MeatWagon
Aug 6, 2003, 10:16 AM
Do yourself a favor, don't order the Key-Digital transcoder .I have the same one and yes the clarity level is really good but the brightnesscontrast level sucks and it also has a greenblue tint to the picture. It almost unplayable in the darker levels of Halo. Read some of the post on http://www.xboxhacker.net vga forum you will see what I am talking about..Also the X2VGA is a true transcoder like the Key Digital box except they solve the Greenblue tint problem and the bightness levels.I you don't believe me read the review in the new Sept issue of Xbox magazine. I got mine and I can't tell you how happy I am..