PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: please rate

SomMofo
Aug 4, 2003, 10:45 PM
Ok so I had some down time between PSO runs and decided to make these please tell me your opinions good or bad(i can take it).
http://members.aol.com/xxfloodzonexx/HeroeSig1

http://members.aol.com/xxfloodzonexx/DarkComeBest

Although I edited it in Photoshop, the pics come from PSOWorld as well as the font. Thanks

Dangerous55
Aug 4, 2003, 10:52 PM
Maybe you should move this to the FanArt section of the boards.

Twadz060
Aug 4, 2003, 10:55 PM
The middle one is VERY impressive if you drew those characters, if you didnt its all LAME.

Relam
Aug 4, 2003, 11:49 PM
On 2003-08-04 20:55, Twadz060 wrote:
The middle one is VERY impressive if you drew those characters, if you didnt its all LAME.

Hey cut him some slack. He credited PSOworld for using the pics from the site so don't jump on him about "stealing" art or whatever.

Anyhow, for the actual art itself, I have to ask. Just what is it you're trying to accomplish? What is your artwork for? Is it for a banner? A desktop? Or just to look cool? I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't do a really good job of fulfilling either ^^; The first pic looks to be a banner. But overall it doesn't look good or make any sense. The collage of pics you've used don't seem to really have any sense or reason. They just look kinda slapped together. Nothing really connects and it's just awkward. The placement of images seem rnadom and nonsymetrical, and the whole image just doesn't hold together.

It would probably look better if you faded the images of the character so that all the images blend together rather than abruptly changing to a different character. Also, the image would probably be more powerful if you didn't cover them up with the photoshop crystalize effect. Your text also tends to blend in with the background and doesn't stand out as well, thus lowering any impact it has. Perhaps a brighter color, or perferably a small border would make them more powerful and effective. Another tip is you could make certain words larger, and add more emphasis to them. The word "the" obviously isn't that important so it doesn't have to be as large as the other words.

The second pic, which I'm assuming is a potential desktop image isn't so bad. You can see the characters a lot better, you've even made space for left aligned icons. Bravo! Most people who make desktop images never take into account the placement of icons as part of the art, and instead just try to slap together as many cool pics as they can. Now the characters you've placed in the image look rather sloppy. You can plainly see white edges around them and it degrades the quality of the pic. The easiest way to erase these ugly edges is to setup your eraser tool to airbrush and set the pressure to something between 50% and 25% and carefully go around the edges. Because you're using the air brush tool, it shouldn't mess up the pic anymore by making even more abrupt jagged edges. The second trick you can use to get rid of jagged edges is once you merge that pic with the background, take your Blur tool and set it to 15% and use a medium sized brush and just keep going around the edges til the white meshes in with the background. This can also pull off a nifty glow effect. I'd also reccomend moving your characters down a few pixels. You can see a small gap between them and the bottom of the background. Once again I see you really love the various filters in photoshop, but for once. I actually like the way it come out in this one.
And once again, try and make your text a bit stronger.

Anyhow, I hope I wasn't too harsh. And I hope my advice helps you out in composing better images.

SomMofo
Aug 5, 2003, 12:42 AM
I thank you very much for the cuntructive criticism, you brought many things to my attention that I overlooked. I will use this information to perfect my work. And yes the first one was suppossed to be a banner but i admit not a rather good, I've done better, I just didn't put a lot of effort into this one. The second one is supposed to be a desktop image, it came out better in photoshop where the edges were smoothed out but I couldn't save it as a .jpg or .bmp, it would only save as a .psd. I do like using the filters for both of the Photo editing programs I use, but I do realize that I shouldn't come to depend on them. My next Pso fan art will be much improved, hehe. By the way, your artwork is very well done, its great to know that the person who is criticizing my work knows what they are talking about. And even though I used te pictures from PSOWorld, I don't consider it "stealing". Thanks again.

Batou
Aug 5, 2003, 09:31 AM
wow, thats some pretty cool stuff, if you ever want to use my art for anything you have my permission... i dont think its stealing as long as the finished project is completely different from the original..

HunterKieran
Aug 5, 2003, 01:10 PM
Or as long as you get credit for it. That's the big thing I've noticed with artists (and people who make mods for games), they need to be credited or everyone else will get on them for it.

-Emperor Kieran

SomMofo
Aug 5, 2003, 01:23 PM
On 2003-08-05 07:31, Batou wrote:
wow, thats some pretty cool stuff, if you ever want to use my art for anything you have my permission... i dont think its stealing as long as the finished project is completely different from the original..

hey great i could always use some new insiration thanks for the offer. just send me a link. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Helios
Aug 5, 2003, 01:40 PM

erm...while we're on the subject batou, i 'borrowed' hucast dom's pose for one of my sketches...yeah, i'm not good w/ poses

Batou
Aug 6, 2003, 02:59 AM
cool, copying is always a flattery... yeah all my pso fanart is at http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/ill/communication3
everyone is welcome to use, i dont mind.

Helios
Aug 8, 2003, 04:54 PM
here?s a copy of that sketch, sorry for the shoddy uploading but it should work

http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/trogdorb/asukaweildingosiris.JPG

like i said, not a blatant rip off but still a ripoff.