PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox Vga

MeatWagon
Aug 5, 2003, 06:26 PM
For anyone who is interested in hooking up their Xbox to a vga monitor your prayers have been answered. The X2VGA is the best vga transcoder I have ever use.I just got mine in the mail. This thing even blows away the Key digital X-blaster in color and over all clarity. Go here to check it out
http://www.x2vga.com/x2vga_info_eng.php

For pic go here
http://www.x2vga.com/x2vga_frogism.php (sorry the page is in Chinese..)

Enjoy
(((MeatWagon)))

ginko990
Aug 6, 2003, 01:56 AM
Wow, i was thinkin about buying tunil i saw the price. i thought itd be like 20 bucks.

saffaya
Aug 6, 2003, 04:28 AM
On 2003-08-05 16:26, MeatWagon wrote:
For anyone who is interested in hooking up their Xbox to a vga monitor your prayers have been answered. The X2VGA is the best vga transcoder I have ever use.I just got mine in the mail. This thing even blows away the Key digital X-blaster in color and over all clarity.

Have you tried Digital-X (German) or better yet Ken Gasper's adapter ?
They were around for years already, and never more expensive than $80 (cheaper now).
I'm upgrading to Ken's external model so I'll be able to use it with a PoS2 or a GC, whenever I buy one.

Mazarin
Aug 6, 2003, 05:00 AM
Ah, I miss the days of my perfectly good $20 DC VGA adapter.

What the hell names all these new adapters worth $60?

Atax
Aug 6, 2003, 07:51 AM
Unless it's a VGA cable made from a modified component cable, avoid VGA boxes for Xbox, GameCube and PS2 at all costs; They do nothing but smear s-video crap on the screen, and are mere line doublers at best.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atax on 2003-08-06 05:52 ]</font>

MeatWagon
Aug 6, 2003, 08:18 AM
Yes, I heard of Ken's Adapter and Digital-x both are very good transcoders (not some cheap upscan converter you get from e-bay), They are going to do a comparison very soon on http://www.xboxhacker.net in the vga forum but from what I gather Ken's Adapter and Digital-x Adapter both suffer from either a blue or green tint because of component sync on green. The X2vga has no green or blue tint and is a true transcoder as well. Allot of effort was put in to making this adapter. In my original post there is a link for pictures. Check them out, That is the way the games looks on my monitor also the new Sept issue of XBOX magazine gave it a 9 out of ten rating.

I hope this helps out everyone..

saffaya
Aug 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
On 2003-08-06 06:18, MeatWagon wrote:
but from what I gather Ken's Adapter and Digital-x Adapter both suffer from either a blue or green tint because of component sync on green.

I can personnaly testify that digital-X's has a green tint.
(even without using synch on green : none of my monitors accept it)
However, I found Ken's to be flawless. The model I got had jumpers to select any of the possible synchs :
Sync on green, composite sync, or separate sync.
The picture was alas somewhat dark with both on my IIYAMA 19" (Ken's much better in this regard though), but NOT on my no-brand 17" .. go figure..

The X2vga has no green or blue tint and is a true transcoder as well.

I think the little plus that this transcoder has is to output non-progressive pictures on the monitor, even if as a half image. Should allow access to the dashboard for changing settings.
Ken's external model can be used with PoS2 and GC though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2003-08-06 11:46 ]</font>

saffaya
Aug 6, 2003, 01:52 PM
On 2003-08-06 03:00, Mazarin wrote:
Ah, I miss the days of my perfectly good $20 DC VGA adapter.
What the hell names all these new adapters worth $60?

First, $60 is an incredible good price.
Commercial adapters when I looked for them for my Xbox cost $200. And I learned afterwards that they were nowhere as good as the ones made by hobbyists like Ken.

Second, the DreamCast outputs VGA natively. You just have to bring that signal from the back of the DC to your monitor.
The Xbox doesn't. (though it actually can if you run a custom BIOS)
The Xbox outputs a component video signal. Although it is a 640*480@60Hz video signal just like VGA, the color coding scheme is different.
Hence, you have to transcode the color information from one standard (component video), to another (VGA), which requires electronics.

MeatWagon
Aug 7, 2003, 07:51 AM
I really interested on how X2VGA adapter compares to Ken's adapter. From what I heard Ken has an excellent adapter. I know for a fact they will be comparing the two in the next couple of weeks on the Xboxhacker.net VGA forum, so look out for it. I myself am an Electronic Hobbyist (use to be my full time job) and tried to make my own component transcoder. It worked somewhat ok; it wasn't clear and had a very green tint. My Full time job that I have now really prevents me from making home project. So for $60.00 , a real transcoder, a excellent picture and that 480i easyview, the X2VGA was well worth it.I also e-mailed the people that make the X2VGA and ask if they could make a PS2GC adapter or some kind of gender changer for the X2VGA and they said they will look into it. I will keep you guysgals informed..

(((meatwagon)))