PDA

View Full Version : Why is PSO so damn addictive?

Neo159753123
Aug 6, 2003, 08:40 PM
Why is it? You do the same thing over and over and over and over for countless hours. When you come to look at the big picture you think that would be quite boring. Would you not? I would. Say you were told by some guy in a suit that for the rest of your life you would spend all typing on the computer 101010101010101 over and over and over. Would get kind of repetitive, eh? Why do you think PSO is so addictive even though you do the same thing over and over.

thx.

Bit
Aug 6, 2003, 08:44 PM
Well. It's not always the same thing over and over and over.

There is alot you can do with this game, not just play through the same area. You can go rare item hunting, play Offline Quests, play the various Online Quests, Meet new people, Play Challenge Mode, play Battle Mode.

So it's not just the same thing, there are many other things you can do.

Neo159753123
Aug 6, 2003, 08:47 PM
yeah, but the main point is .... you transport to ragol, kill monsters, level up , kill more mosters, level up, slaughter Dark Falz for the 50th time, if you catch my drift. See?

Bit
Aug 6, 2003, 08:48 PM
Yeah, that's true.

But your over looking the other 90% of the game.

kat
Aug 6, 2003, 08:51 PM
Neo159753123, why do you keep plying?

for me:
customizable characters
multiplayer cooperative play
simple enough controls for me

Neo159753123
Aug 6, 2003, 08:51 PM
and why 90% would that be? if you would care to inform me?

Bit
Aug 6, 2003, 08:53 PM
On 2003-08-06 18:44, Bit wrote:
Well. It's not always the same thing over and over and over.

There is alot you can do with this game, not just play through the same area. You can go rare item hunting, play Offline Quests, play the various Online Quests, Meet new people, Play Challenge Mode, play Battle Mode.

So it's not just the same thing, there are many other things you can do.

Let's not try to argue, eh?

;/

Neo159753123
Aug 6, 2003, 08:56 PM
well lets skip the thought of the game being repitive, and talk about why it is so addicted? What makes you glue yourself to the T.V. for periods of time and level up mindlessly.

kat
Aug 6, 2003, 08:59 PM
Neo159753123, why do you do it then? Since you have so little nice things to say about the game and it's skill levels and all that... why are you still playing? And why are you participating in a forum that is the epitimy of game obsession? I'm currious. I have given my reasons, i'm currious as to yours...

Neo159753123
Aug 6, 2003, 09:05 PM
that is a question I can't even answer, I am really sorry. i have no idea why I continue to play or post threads on this site. i really don't play all that much either and i am more interested in listening to people stories on http://www.pso-world.com not posting threads. you can tell by my on posting 78 posts/replies. But sorry for my negative thoughts about PSO i was just interested why people continue to play this game.

AzureBlaze
Aug 6, 2003, 11:04 PM
You asked a really hard question.
PSO is addictive for many reasons, and I would imagine that each person has a reason that is unique to them.
Yes, the game mechanics themselves are the same thing every time. And so are the level layouts, and combo systems. Objectives may vary, as well as monster locations, but on any other game, this would not be enough.
I believe the thing that keeps people coming back is the fact that if you're playing with other
actual -people- and not NPCs, the game CANT be the same thing twice. Player interaction and never knowing what other people will do or say next keeps it interesting. Also, it's a fun place to hang out with your friends, chat and keep occupied by wonderful visuals and solid play mechanics.

Quo
Aug 6, 2003, 11:06 PM
Its the timing. PSO is all about the timing. There's a cadence to the game. whether it's the 3-hit combo or dodging a laser, you always play with the beat. The enemies move to it. you attack to it. the delay in the combos is to meet the rythm you always stay with the beat. Which is why a two hit combo which fails to kill is so jarring. The beat makes PSO an rpg. RPG's focus on strategy not power. PSO doesn't really do that. All the strategy is in the timing, using the beat to your advantage. FPS's don't have a beat or strategy which is why they get boring quickly. The reason you love PSO is the same reason you love your favorite song.

ShadowFOrce
Aug 6, 2003, 11:17 PM
Neo you are at level 39, You have a long way to go before it even starts to get repetative, and when it does it only last for like say a day and then when you wake up the next morning the only thing that is on you're mind is getting that next rare weapon or gaining that next level, also I should be getting online in like 12 days so that should spice things up a bit wait take that back that should spice things up ALOT!!! Can't wait for ONLINE!!!

Harlequinn
Aug 6, 2003, 11:33 PM
Its so addictive.. because... hmmm... It just is? I dunno *People Stare* Dont look at me like that!!
Even though I dont play online yet and I want to its still a great game. (Except for caves I HATE THEM)

ShadowFOrce
Aug 7, 2003, 01:09 AM
*Stares at Harlequinn for an extremely long amount of time, whipes drool off of face* Huh? who's staring?

Kojiro_
Aug 7, 2003, 01:20 AM
It's addicting.. because.. you know.

Yuji Naka laced the mini-discs with crack!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

ShadowFOrce
Aug 7, 2003, 02:07 AM
Lol, probably true!

joluh
Aug 7, 2003, 04:28 AM
Well i think because as you get to new difficults you get new weapons, better than the old ones and don't forget ultimate where is when the game really shine, sadly i just played 2 days on it, then i deleted my lv80 HUmar, he was boring, i made him to learn how to play... now i don't know which character to make...

IDEAS?!?!

Neo159753123
Aug 7, 2003, 07:05 AM
Exucuse me ShadowFOrce but I am now lv.44 and was lv.82(memory card got corrupted)Just like to inform you.

Obscenity
Aug 7, 2003, 07:11 AM
It may be repetitive, but it's still fun. For me, anyway. I just like going through the levels and improving or experimenting with my gameplay. It's really only repetitive in the lower difficulties. Once you get to Ultimate, every run is different. Especially offline, where you don't have anyone to watch your back. If you start thinking it's redundant, you're going to make a mistake and the enemies in Ultimate will jump all over you for it.

Neverwinter
Aug 7, 2003, 07:17 AM
Yes it may be repwtitive in that way but it is Sooooo fun to play multiplayer. Why u ask...because it's Co-operative, and they are the BEST and most fun games, Even if it is repetitive.

shifter
Aug 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
I think that its because you never get the same game twice. one time you might get a room full of gilchics, come back to that same room in a different game, and there might be two garanz waiting for you. Like most rpg's, when you walking around, you dont exactly know whats going to come after you. Also, you get to go around with a char. u made, with its own strengths and abilities, not one just handed to you from the start. That kind of freedom has not been seen in a rpg. As for other things, c-mode, on and offline quests, and chatting in the lobby are things that i found fun, how many times can u hold a conversation with someone 2 times zones away. i cant really say why its so damn addicting, but if it is addicting, their has to be something that you find enjoyable about it. When they came out goldeneye and mariocart 64 were like crack, every second you could play them, you would, and they were very fun games and still are.

ShadowFOrce
Aug 7, 2003, 09:03 AM
On 2003-08-07 05:05, Neo159753123 wrote:
Exucuse me ShadowFOrce but I am now lv.44 and was lv.82(memory card got corrupted)Just like to inform you.

Oh man that sucks.....I feel for you, I am trying hard as I can not to get my memory card corrupted

Neo159753123
Aug 7, 2003, 09:10 AM
whatever you do don't leave your memory card in your gamecube and don't cut the power in the middle of saving. thats how it happened to me.

ShadowFOrce
Aug 7, 2003, 09:13 AM
I always leave my memory card in my gamecube and one time I dropped my grass assassin's arms on poineer 2 and forgot to pick them up...i turned the game off when it was saving and nothing happend and i still had my grass assassin's arms. But I think it is becuase i have the nintendo memory card.

Neo159753123
Aug 7, 2003, 09:16 AM
thats odd.

ShadowFOrce
Aug 7, 2003, 09:17 AM
Yea I guess I am lucky....

Valleo
Aug 7, 2003, 09:51 AM
Because its really a one of a kind game. How many other online, multiplayer, console video games do you know that play like PSO? And I dont mean turn based MMORPG's. I love RPG's, but cant stand the ridiculousness of those MMORPG's where you just stand in front of an enemy holding down a button while the two of you trade blows. Or when you point and click on a target and your minions attack. I like the whole hack and slash, attack and dodge gameplay style of PSO. I love playing online with people and I love the fact that every now and then theres something new out like a quest or something. I love the character customisation. And its still kind of an RPG (just needs some more story).

Having said that, like any other game in the industry, if someone decided to make a game similar to PSO, with the same or improved game play engine, most people would probably ditch PSO and move over to the new game.... as far as I know no one really has yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valleo on 2003-08-07 07:52 ]</font>