PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: Cosmos Enigma: Chapter 1 --- Death's Peak

BerserkerKutu
Aug 7, 2003, 10:35 AM
Okay, this is my first EVER FanFic - and frankly I don't have a clue where this is going.
It does contain scenes of gorey-ness and such so just a warning.

Ah noo--- I just had to replace the question marks with the proper punctuation, so sorry if some parts are a bit strange to read...

Oh - C&C welcomed.

Cosmos Enigma

~~~Chapter 1 : Death's Peak~~~

With a flash of lightening and the soon to follow roar of thunder, the clouds tore open and from within came the rain, the downpour had started. Immediately the effects could be seen; the already scorched metal doors once again began to erode - a thin gas rose from the rough surface. The rain... the acid rain (would be a better description,) could be heard from above beating steadily on the bunker roof.

A loud creaking noise and slam marked the entrance of a single soldier, staggering, putting all effort into walking. Several gasps could be heard throughout the crowded bunker, a few comments as such, "That's disgusting!" and "Oh my God!" obviously made sense as what they were faced with was a man... a man with burnt clothes of which were clinging to his burnt body. His skin was red and dry but at the same time looked like some sort of liquid - the 'acid rain' had seemed to pull his skin down with the touch.
The mans eyes, which were white; they had not colour, no iris, no pupil, but they dashed from side to side looking at the horrified people who stood, staring at him, all though they could not tell. He could see that he was now some sort of freak, a person that was closest to him even hurled, with that the deformed man took from his back a rifle and put it to his own head; he wanted the immense pain to end. Before anyone could say anything he pulled the trigger only to her a click.... nothing happened the gun had pretty much melted in the rain, he pulled it again and gave out a groan of agony, everyone stared most speechless and several breathless.
The man would blink if his eyelids were not stuck to his brow, another click... yet again nothing happened...
A bright flash of light, not a scene of lightening, but what came from the man's gun, it had exploded sending the man's limbs and giblets all over the bunker. Blood stains marked the walls and a black scorch marked where he had been standing, the reaction from the rest of the bunker sent the people into a panic, several screams could be heard from every corner. Some found themselves with pieces of burnt meat on them, which was none too pleasent.

"It's getting worse... There is no way that this planet will be suitable for the inhabitants of Earth. Time is running out, the rainstorms are becoming more and more deadly each and everyday... but why? Is it something we have done or could it be the planet itself wishing to rid us of it's surface like an unwanted bacteria?"

A figure shrouded in darkness, was staring at a single monitor that showed a constant repeat of the event in the bunker, he seemed to be questioning it, was it all real, he didn't know...

He pressed his finger over a button, which was just in arms reach,

"Begin evacuation..." He mumbled.

"This is no condition to begin anything in... did you just see what happened sir?" A voice came back slightly broken through interference.

"Of course I saw it, just begin as soon as possible." With saying that he took his finger from the intercom button.

Loud noises came from all around as the launch bay was being prepared, a heavy crank of cranes lifting supplies aboard the large space-cruisers, and a roar of vehicles with sirens on, glaring bright light and making an awful sound.

A short man walked up to one of the craft, he glared up toward it and with a small sigh he looked back down coming face to face with an even shorter person - this one had ridiculously pointed ears and was wearing strange clothes, very bright and patterned. The man could only compare it to a small, skinny dwarf.

"Huh? Who are? or even what are you?!" The man was clearly startled.

"I take it you have never seen a Newman before? Well you should get out more often."

"A Newman? No, I can't say I have... If you will excuse me? I have to get ready to pilot this thing as soon as the rain stops."

"I just came to tell you the ship won't be suitable for flight... I suggest you check inside the thrusters" The Newman let out a grunt and walked away from the pilot.

The man blinked not knowing what to say, he got increasingly bothered by what the Newman had said. His worries stopped as a thruster suddenly fell from the spacecraft crushing the man under its extreme weight, leaving a bit of a mess. When the quick to the scene emergency vehicles lifted the thruster, all that was seen was a pool of thick blood, it didn't look fresh. Instantly as the thruster was lifted a fellow hurled, two very gory scenes in one day was just too much for him, he reported himself into the Medical Ship soon after.

"What caused that to happen?!" came an angry voice over the intercom.

"Sir, its... unsure how the thruster became dislodged from it's fitting, we will investigate straight away."

"Make sure that you do..." He released the button once again. "It was surely a mistake coming here... exactly 4 years of searching brought us this...a blessing? At first maybe? but this?"

He clenched his fist tight, so tight that he was actually shaking.

The ladder extended, allowing an engineer to climb, upon reaching the top he attached the crane's strong wire grip about one of the thrusters, he then used a large machine to unfasten the welded securing. He waved a hand and looked down, the truck that supported the ladder backed up allowing the crane to lift. With little effort the thruster was removed and lowered slowly onto the back of another truck.

Again the ladder moved into position, the engineer looked into the hollow, he could see nothing however, the fact that it was dark did not help. Reaching up he flicked on the light that was attached to his helmet immediately his eyes widened in shock; he suddenly lost all sense of balance. He stumbled back forgetting just one problem... he was still on a ladder, and in doing so he fell, he fell to his death, his head slammed against the rear of the truck, decapitating him. His headless body smashed against the windscreen of another truck, the glass shattered - the driver was showered in glass fragments, he wasn't too happy as his newly installed coffee holder was dripping with blood in which glass flowed in tiny pieces... that... and his new handicap - blinded for life.

The Newman looked down, at his foot was the head of the engineer, it still carried the face of shock which was odd as it had got severely bashed in. The Newman smirked.

At the base of the ladder, another engineer had been ordered to go up, convinced that it was a clumsy accident, the man made his way to the top. Flashing the torch light inside the man could now clearly understand that it was no accident that caused the man to fall, he found himself staring right into what seemed to be a nest. Hundreds of worm type creatures wriggled and squirmed about each other in the centre of the movement was a rotting body. A name-tag was still intact; it didn't seem to be the worm's delicacy "Pioneer Project - Engineer 179"

There was something else lurking... behind the nest infesting the body... lurking in the darkness where the torch-light failed to reach. He knew there was something else inside there, he could hear it, breathing slowly, the man tried to shine the light a bit more in, it met with the creature and with that it sprung out. A man-sized beast - it seemed to have two large blades extending from its body they were both vertical - it some how resembled an opening perhaps a mouth. It also had two large feet, it had a tail also and on the end was a three-pronged "claw".

It pounced upon the man knocking him back and off the ladder, slamming him into the ground, crippling his body. It stood over the body, straight away gunfire came as well as the sudden rise in panic. About six men shot upon the beast ripping it's skin - but it still moved and ran at a fleeing vehicle operator, the persistent blasts from the rifles didn't seem to do much, it was useless. The man tripped and then turned to meet his certain death, the creature lunged forward, the man closed his eyes in great fear his overalls became rather soggy, he winced opening an eye slightly to only see the creature on top of him. He squeaked pushing it off and scrambling to his feet some distance away.

A large figure stood over the corpse; its gun had smoke coming from the barrel. It was an android, they were very much a new thing to humans, several people just stared... how could an android possibly be better with a gun than the armies top marksmen? Obviously with the right tweaks it could. The android stood tall and was wider too - obviously a RAcast model, it took a step and made a heavy thud noise.

"...Hey."

A rather un-well man stood and looked out, from the Medical Ship, upon the havoc filled launch bay, he twitched slightly.

"Death must be on a roll today..."

~~~End of Chapter 1~~~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BerserkerKutu on 2003-08-08 05:58 ]</font>

BerserkerKutu
Aug 9, 2003, 05:41 PM
Please! Anyone who reads this reply with what you think - doesn't matter if it's one word. I just want to know how it's going.

Oh and I may be scowering the character Bank for later chapters - if you want to be included PM me or something.

Thanks.

Elvendar
Aug 9, 2003, 05:51 PM
I thought the whole thing was a bit technical, but it's sure to get better. Keep it up.

BerserkerKutu
Aug 10, 2003, 07:50 AM
So simple is better in this case?