PDA

View Full Version : Happening a lot sooner than I thought....

Wewt
Aug 8, 2003, 06:26 AM
Gamespot article (http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/news/news_6073133.html)

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3134651.stm)

GameCube production is now being halted to clear Nintendo's massive stock of unsold GameCube's. Could this be a sign of Nintendo giving up early?

Oh, the second part of the BBC news article is really interesting, I think they're talking about stopping production of Nintendo's franchise games, such as Metroid 2. What else could they mean by "sophisticated" games?

rena-ko
Aug 8, 2003, 06:53 AM
i think they stop producing games that you can play for longer than a month or so... metroid prime is not such a game, imho.
i think they speak of games like pso, harvest moon, animal crossing, giftpia and so on. thats actually sad. forcing the player to buy a new game because they made them too boring to play them for more than some weeks...

but whats the idea? thats not new. almost all capcom games are played through in a very short time, just hardcore gamers play them over and over again.

ihmo, thats just hot air because they're not realizing whats up with the game market these days (what nintendo lacks is good promotion, imho...).

well, we'll see

Mystil
Aug 8, 2003, 08:26 AM
Nintendo simply doesnt make anything interesting anymore. Times have changed and yet they have not changed along with it...

Wewt
Aug 8, 2003, 08:42 AM
Metroid Prime isn't exactly a game that everybody can play. I'm not sure if they're just talking about in-house games, or 3rd party ones as well, though.

xHIGHONLIFEx
Aug 8, 2003, 09:26 AM
That doesn't sound good.... That's interesting.... How many of you think this is a good idea on Nintendo's behalf??? I like long games, they keep me occupied until I have enough money to buy a new game... if anything, they need to make the games cheaper... Yeah games like Resident Evil is 29.99, but it took it almost a year to bring the price down... PS2 games debut at 29.99 off the start... Its just me, but I know I would buy more games if they were cheaper...

Wewt
Aug 8, 2003, 09:43 AM
From a shareholder's point of view, it's a great move. But Nintendo has normally been making games for the fans, devoting years to a game before finally releasing it, making sure it's absolutely perfect. So, from the gamers' point of view, it's a very bad move, because you'll be expecting games with less quality and depth.

Sedyne
Aug 8, 2003, 10:28 AM
**grin grin**

**hmph hmph**

**PAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA****

Sorry couldn't hold it in ^_^

GameCube is Lagging far behind PS2 and is still somewhat behind Xbox in console sales, pathetic nintendo. ..(that is based on Gamers Monthly from last month) I've said it once and I'll say it again...NINTENDO NEEDS MAJOR REITHINKING esp. with game developers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sedyne on 2003-08-08 08:29 ]</font>

xHIGHONLIFEx
Aug 8, 2003, 11:00 AM
seriously... I really like Nintendo, but its taking a lot to not lose interest in them..... BRING IN THE NEW GAMES ALREADY!!!

Monomate
Aug 8, 2003, 11:24 AM
the wait is too much!!! there haven't been any new games all summer!!! release the freaking games right now!! P.N. 03 Soul Calibur 2 Resident Evil 4 i want them now!!! PSO can't sustain me for much longer!!! (ok...maybe it can...but still!)

smallfry
Aug 8, 2003, 11:28 AM
I think it's over for nintendo...they'll never relive the SNES days...those were great times...specially with my game doctor.

satoshi1
Aug 8, 2003, 11:37 AM
It's not over for Nintendo, they're already working on the next console, and they said it'd be released in 2005. Nintendo will spring back, though to do so, they'll need better marketing strategies...

"The day we stop making consoles is the day we are out of business." -Satoru Iwata (that is his name, right? And he is the one who said that.. right?)

s.TiNgEr
Aug 8, 2003, 12:29 PM
Nintendo has been around for a while. It wouldn't be surprising if they did give up early, but I still think that Nintendo has a trick up its sleeve O_o

rena-ko
Aug 8, 2003, 01:31 PM
i dont think nintendo has anything in the back hand... on the other hand, i really want to know why the playstation (not to mention xbox) is that popular.

shorter, easier games may be interesting for the casual gamer that only wants to have some little fun, but this person could also buy a playstation and have fun with these games...
i think the serious gamer is pretty much outnumbered these days. there's no need for freaks anymore since the casual one buys also. as well, the casual gamer just wants good graphics and easy gaming. no real challenge in the classical sens. so its easier to make a game that everyone will buy than a good game that will be neglected by the masses (like rez for example).

i think... if they dont get a grip and set a realistic goal to reach (and reach said goal) sooner or later nintendo will be sharing the same faith like sega. despite nintendo will split up in different groups, since there wont be ever a nintendo brand for a non-nintendo console (since its just names this is easily done).

Cynosure_Zen
Aug 8, 2003, 03:22 PM
My opinions on this new report-

This is a direct result of failing to provide the content people demand and for continuing to lack innovation Sony and MS has provided. Also Nintendo's conference last night stated that in the past 3 months, in their Quarter 1 Cycle, they only managed to sell 80,000 GameCubes, WORLDWIDE. That's not a mistake, it's not 800,000 but merely 80,000 (Whereas Xbox was around 300,000 and PS2 about 700,000). Even the Dreamcast in it's early death managed to sell more than that before inventory cleared.

Price Drops and free games didn't help Nintendo any (worked great for MS). The GC -> GBA Connection proven to be yet another failed gimmick, the GC-GBA Player a failed peripheral. And now the GC production gets halted with one of the New major games coming out for GC being PacMan (the savior!!!), of all games.

Doom and Gloom it has been for Nintendo the past 48 hours. Every year their profits shrink, their market-share decreases and demand for their games falling.

This is the exact same pattern that Sega had followed as the Dreamcast was being removed from production until Sega canned it all 100%.

Out of respect for that little Mac in a Cube, lets bow our heads in silence for a brief moment...

PS: Why in hell would ST release PSO III exclusively on GC is beyond my comprehension :/

Dangerous55
Aug 8, 2003, 05:04 PM
Dont worry N fans, once the GC-GBA connectivity is used more sales will be through the roof!!!!!

I actually saw someone say that on another forum. I cant believe Nintendo has faith in that...

Orange_Coconut
Aug 8, 2003, 05:14 PM
I personally think they could expand on the GBA gaming. Many people loved the SNES, and the GBA practically is a handheld SNES.

The problem is they're making many many ports and games that everyone has already played, it's all the same stuff over again. Although SNES was a great system with great games, they can't just expect to sell GBA, some SNES ports and call it a system.

I love my GBA even if I don't use it often. I think they should try to get new games, especially RPGs if they can.

I'm hoping that this is only temporary.

satoshi1
Aug 8, 2003, 05:18 PM
On 2003-08-08 13:22, Cynosure_Zen wrote:
Price Drops and free games didn't help Nintendo any (worked great for MS). The GC -> GBA Connection proven to be yet another failed gimmick, the GC-GBA Player a failed peripheral. And now the GC production gets halted with one of the New major games coming out for GC being PacMan (the savior!!!), of all games.

I actually thought that the GBP was doing pretty good, besides it's a pretty damn cool peripheral.

PacMan? The savior? WTF are you on? They "savior", if any, is gonna be Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Hopefully Mario Kart will help too.

Cynosure_Zen
Aug 8, 2003, 06:07 PM
Ya know, you should learn how to denote sarcasm :/ Ok? LOLWTFROFLMFAO!

eXo
Aug 8, 2003, 07:35 PM
Hmmm http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif i dont know about you guys,but for me hearing any news of a videogame pioneer such as,atari,snk nintendo or any one else. Is never a good thing im very disaapointed about this latest turn of events,sure maybe nintendo did kinda miss the wagon of online gaming. But if it was not for companies like sega, Atari and nintendo home gaming would probly never have been possible,at this level atleast. No disrepect but Xbox is a cool system but bill gates would have never even considered it if it where not for the pioneers the big "3". Sega is pretty much down atari has been down nintendo is the last thing left. Sure i love my PS 2 they try but cant find that one standout mascot,and my god xbox needs to do something soon also i mean come on rehatch after rehatch after Freaking rehatch..why cant they produce aoriginal high quaility game.
[b][i]excluding: Halo,hmmm im not a system basher but what other good first party games have they produced ???? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

BOC
Aug 8, 2003, 07:57 PM
my god its like the whole sega/dreamcast situation all over again.

xHIGHONLIFEx
Aug 8, 2003, 08:07 PM
Nintendo needs to grow up... All those kids who bought the NES and SNES,guess what?!?! THEY'RE NOT KIDS ANYMORE!!! They're grown up adults who have different taste in things now instead of childish stuff... yeah make games for younger generations, but not most of the games like that... make mature games too for those who are Nintendo followers...

eXo
Aug 9, 2003, 01:15 AM
Hmm they may need to grow up just a little bit,but Xbox is suppose to be the system for grown ups right? If so then most Grown up games kinda suck im grown but i still like the occasional adventure game
im so tired of racing,1st person shooters and stealth tactical games lol

AUTO_
Aug 9, 2003, 02:10 AM
To be honest, I could give a damn where Nintendo or any other console is sitting in the "console wars". As long as Nintendo keeps putting out good games, I will continue to buy them.

To me, Nintendo could be dead right now--I wouldn't think of my Gamecube any different. I don't feel ashamed or embarrassed to own the GC because it's in 3rd in the console wars.

If the point of this thread is whether or not the big N is dropping out of the hardware business (I know new system is coming out--talking about GCN), that's a definate NO; Nintendo has said time and time again they will continue in the console race, and I'll be on the sidelines giving them water.

Don't call me a fanboy--I own a PS2 that never gets played (wtf??/ 1337 it's in 1st place in teh console war! kgr8), and my bro owns an Xbox under the same roof.

As for Nintendo promoting itself...

Have any of you watched TV lately?!?

Nintendo is whoring themselves out more then any other system; I've seen atleast 6 different GC commercials this week (Madden, FF, Rogue Leader III, Mario Golf, SC2, F-zero X, etc...), and that's not including all the GBA titles and the GBP...

Nintendo is trying--please try not to kick them while they're down. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Wewt
Aug 9, 2003, 06:04 AM
The topic is really questioning whether Nintendo are giving up on the current console or not. Anybody that thinks Nintendo are finished in the console business can be easily proven wrong anyway.

Creasian
Aug 9, 2003, 06:13 AM
considering there is over 120 game titles slanted tobe released in america by beginning of Q1 2004 from now.. I would have to say nintendo isnt readyto bow down to anyone. Plus the day that nintendo goes down, microsoft has allready expressed much interest in them, and could purchased the company if it went down. Nintendo+ microsoft. Interesting. Yet nintendo games are selling like mad, justnot the consoles, course if you realize that some people had to buy 3 different ps2 consoles, its soar the numbers sold. Plus they have yet to release if those 51 million were Refurbished ones as well. Nintendo isnt down and out, they have plenty of money left, and plenty of resources.

11.5 billion yen profits for nintendo.
1.1 billion yen profits for sony.

The same months that nintendo supposeivly sold only 80,000 Gamcubes sony lost 42% in ps2 Sales. Youthink intendo is the only company who is hurting at this present time? Everyone is.. Microsoft pays more money to make thei consoles than they sell them for, think of the bigger picture. sony is in no better position at this point than nintendo, look at the ratio of the companies as a whole if you want.. or just the game department.. which.. would cut alot from xbox and sonys profits... yet nintendo that is basically all they do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3092063.stm

If you call that false iwill post CNN international too =p. 98% profit drop.. wow... Guess the economy is hurting everyone eh? All the people saying intendo is dying i can find just as much problems with every other game company making consoles out there. Swancrystal beat xbox in japan in sales 7/20/03. pfff

I mustmade a revision, I was replyingto all those who took what WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW said as being down and out. I think nintendo will continue tomake the gamecube, as they are gaining alot of profit from thegames themselves. Yet would begood for them to do like sonyand release their console first.. or near same time. Also far as rpgs... 3 square/enix games, including a brand new FFT advance, and fft advance is not FFT from playstation, its a brand new game. Tales of symphonia i think is the name for GC exlusive, Baten for gamecube exclusive in japan. Sword of mana, Fire emblem, Tales of Phantasia, FFT Advance are just some of the new rpgs coming out for GBA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Creasian on 2003-08-09 04:33 ]</font>

Elvendar
Aug 9, 2003, 07:03 AM
On 2003-08-08 15:14, Orange_Coconut wrote:
I personally think they could expand on the GBA gaming. Many people loved the SNES, and the GBA practically is a handheld SNES.

The problem is they're making many many ports and games that everyone has already played, it's all the same stuff over again. Although SNES was a great system with great games, they can't just expect to sell GBA, some SNES ports and call it a system.

I love my GBA even if I don't use it often. I think they should try to get new games, especially RPGs if they can.

I'm hoping that this is only temporary.

I think if Lufia 2 was re-released onto the GBA right after the PS pocket comes out, GBA will steamroll PSP. Lufia 2 was such a good game.

Anyway, why should you care about them not producing a system? If you allready own one, why care about the state of production? It's not like we don't have games are coming out or anything. O.o