PDA

View Full Version : More Database goodness

Fanatic
Aug 8, 2003, 10:33 AM
I've been looking at guides for awhile now, specifically the bestiary and rare drop charts.

I've noticed that each chart takes a different approach to the information. For instance, the tabular rare item pdfs will give you a good overview of what your character can expect to find in this or that area. However they completely fail when you need to know which rares a specific class finds (since you would have to cross refrence more than 24 sheets of paper). Shapiro's guide covers this somewhat, but once you want to know which classes find a specific rare, you're back to manually cross-referencing a lot of papers and doing word searches in multiple pdf files.

Since I've more or less grown up with a steady diet of database theory, it has gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering just adding all enemy data and drop chart information into one. At least then, I can access the information from any angle I desire with some creative querying.

I've looked over the "disclaimers" at the info hosted here, and nothing says I cannot create that database for myself. It would be quite a waste to not share it with the world though, so I'm asking here if I may use the information on my own site available as queries from a database? I would of course credit PSOworld, and I'm making no money (nor is anyone else, the site is completely devoid of banners etc.)

If you (PSOworld) is interested, I'll even allow the queries to be integrated here (eg. allowing users on this site to access the db without ever moving outside psoworld).

I'd have seached the forums for answers to this, but the scope of it got a bit too complicated for a regular search.... my apologies if it is easily available in a sticky or somthing similar I've overlooked.

Reenee
Aug 8, 2003, 12:51 PM
Huh? o_O

Which classes? I hope you don't mean character classes because all of those finds shown here on PSOW and my PDF (I changed my name) are based on Section ID.

Fanatic
Aug 8, 2003, 01:23 PM
As far as I've been able to figure out, the item finds you can list when you look up the rares here are those entered into the database when people register their runs (All those Skyly,Ult Forest,76 laps etc. entries).

Besides, even if those data are the actual data in the tabular sheet pdfs, it still doesn't allow access from every angle. With a database I could easily make queries like "List all enemy/difficulty combinations giving a whitill a mechgun class weapon with at least 40 ATP" or "List all items which can be obtained from rare enemies in all difficulties for each section id".
If drop% are included from a trusted site, we could even go as far as "List average enemy kill count for each class to get a Psycho Wand"

Reenee
Aug 8, 2003, 01:43 PM
Oh, a lazy man's query.

Well, on my listing, it's just a little reading. I had to include an item database to accompany the rare finds listing.

eRUPT
Aug 8, 2003, 05:28 PM
The item findings database has nothing to do with the laps. The laps are simple html pages they are not databased. All the item findings are from a database and are queried views. All the different views on the site are from the same database.

I don't approve of taking the data to make your own database, I will instead add the query options to our own database instead, I would not take part in a outside database linked with us in some way just rather code the views myself into ours.

So if you care for me to create some more query option filled form please email me some ideas on table views you are interested in seeing and when I get the time I will code the views or code a form to create a custom view.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eRUPT on 2003-08-08 16:09 ]</font>

Kay0s
Nov 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hey, uh....it might just be my computer here, but i can't get the 'item findings/enemy drops' sheet (by Shapiro) to load, i've been trying to make it eork for ages but it appears bugged out, anyone else got problems with it?

Ryna
Nov 21, 2006, 02:35 PM
On 2006-11-21 11:24, Kay0s wrote:
Hey, uh....it might just be my computer here, but i can't get the 'item findings/enemy drops' sheet (by Shapiro) to load, i've been trying to make it eork for ages but it appears bugged out, anyone else got problems with it?

Sharpiro's guide works for me.

Since this question is unrelated to the topic you bumped from 2003, I am going to close it.