PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburghese

Vanango
Aug 9, 2003, 02:31 PM
Anyone familiar with that dialect?

I know Hero_of_Time should be, but it's quite crazy.

It's beyond the familiar "Pop" vs. "Soda" arguement. I usually settle for "Carbonated Beverage"

The people of Pittsburgh through the years have somehow developed their own little language. They have unique ways of pronouncing words, forming sentences, and just weird phrases.

We use words like Gum Bands, Igl, Imp 'n Arn, Jaggers, Jimmies... probably the most famous however is "Yinz" which is short for You ones or You'uns (Equivelant to Y'all)

They pronounce things differently. Arn rather than Iron. Ahr rather than Hour or Wahr for wire... Caach for Couch, DahnTahn for downtown... the list goes on...

and their grammar... they leave out important words such as "to be". You'll often hear even the educated Pittsburghers to say "Hey! My car needs cleaned!" or "that needs swept" >_< big pet peeve of mine. Don't forget to red up your room! (n'at)

I have tons of little Pittsburghese Stories... when I tried to give blood the lady told me that my "Arn" wasn't high enough and so I lifted my arm and when she looked at me strangly I asked "eh?" and she said "your ARN!"... still didn't understand had her repeat it several times until she said "The arn in your blood ain't high 'nuff"

Another quick story, In one of the malls there is a food court that says "Jeet Jet" and I didn't understand. I looked around trying to find a restaurant or some sign of what it meant... I ended up asking my roommate and she explained it stood for "Did you eat yet" >_<;;

If you wanna learn more there is an entire site dedicated to it: http://www.pittsburghese.com

edit: Yinz all wan go dahn ta Chawncee's n'at?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanango on 2003-08-09 12:36 ]</font>

RavenTW
Aug 9, 2003, 03:31 PM
Ooh, Jeff Foxworthy moment!

"Hey, jeet yet?"

"Naw, jew?"

"Yuanto?"

"Aight."

Sorry, had to say it. I don't even know the proper spelling of "Yuanto." Heck, even Foxworthy didn't know!

ABDUR101
Aug 9, 2003, 05:11 PM
Raven got to it before me. >_<

I notice little quarks around here with how some people talk, but it hasn't gone to the extent of signs having it on them. o_O

Delsaber
Aug 9, 2003, 05:43 PM
People around where I live (Meade, Kentucky) happen to say the sames things like arn instead of iron, they say more of a u-inz instead of yinz where. People are weird. I just got through eating a big can of cherry pie filling... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_barf.gif