PDA

View Full Version : Where is our Protected Privacy?!

Ranova
Mar 24, 2001, 02:10 AM
Hey Guys,
Remember that little dialogue saying that Sega will only take your Dreamcast Serial Number and wont take any personal information? Isn't your save YOUR personal Info? It would be perfectly ok if the saves were serverside, but now theyve gone looking into your saves seeing if youre a cheater or not. Now don't get me wrong, I totally dislike cheaters and dupers, but sega should have found answers to these problems way before, or even during Japan's playing.

Ranova
Mar 24, 2001, 02:15 AM
Heh Heh!
"Lord of Wastes" , ^_^
Nice Ambrai ;_;

Gilder
Mar 24, 2001, 02:55 AM
Your game save isn't really personally info. It doesn't contain your age, your first and last name, your phone number, your address, and all of that fun stuff.

Ambrai
Mar 24, 2001, 03:02 AM
Just as glider stated, personal information is considered any 'Real life information' about yourself. The game save is something they can look at.

Shopete
Mar 24, 2001, 05:22 AM
I'm almost certain that Sega was refering to your ISP information. Your ISP information contains your real name, email address, and passwords. If you think about it your ISP information can give your general location if you entered an area code.

That file on your VMU was created by a Sega program to be used by that same Sega program.

Gilder
Mar 24, 2001, 05:27 AM
I feel so honored, my name was misspelled by Ambrai. No sarcasm intended.

Dorkas
Mar 24, 2001, 06:03 AM
Everything about PSO, be it your character, the items you've picked up, EVERYTHING is Sega's intellectual property. Ever read an End User License Agreement? Technically, you don't own PSO. You own a non transferrable, LIMITED license to play the game, online or off.

If you hack or dupe a PSO item, technically you're violating Sega's propety rights. It's the exact same thing the RIAA used to shut down Napster, believe it or not. Or Sony's banning of Everquest auctions on Ebay. Sega has every right to do whatever they like with any aspect of the game, be it a Rag Rappy, or your character. If you're violating Sega's property rights, you've violated your license to the game.

This is all pretty broad stuff. If you want to get stupid about it, you've lost your right to play your DC the second you pop in an unlicensed controller. There's no way Sega could ever prosecute someone for hacking items; proving it would be next to impossible. However, they are well within their rights to look at your character. In fact, they are obligated to.

Nothing you input into PSO, nothing you experience there, nothing you do there, does not belong to Sega.

If you don't accept that, then return the game. The instant you press the power button on your DC, you give Sega every right to do anything they feel is necessary to protect their property rights. You can dislike it, but they have the law on their side.

Ranova
Mar 25, 2001, 02:27 AM
Hmmm, I guess that all makes sense, but I really wished Sega put server-side saves like Diablo 2. Everything will be supposedly legit and less fux0red up saves.