PDA

View Full Version : EP3: PSO episode 3 a good thing or a freaking bust

NKgotmilk
Aug 11, 2003, 09:40 PM
what the hell is that is this like a third person shooter or is this gonna be a lame pokemon yugioh thingy give me your opinions and than we complain to sega

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2003-08-11 20:25 ]</font>

Atax
Aug 11, 2003, 09:44 PM
I love this game; No way in hell am I complaining to Sega.

mimicr
Aug 11, 2003, 09:47 PM
It looks pretty cool to me. Why complain?

NKgotmilk
Aug 11, 2003, 09:51 PM
because they took our traditional episodes 1 and 2 and made a whole new series of it
sure you can keep ur old charecter but still the name card revolution makes it seem like all it is is magic or yugioh comon y do they make it like that

mimicr
Aug 11, 2003, 09:53 PM
When I heard about it, I thought of taking turns fighting.
Not Yu gi oh

NKgotmilk
Aug 11, 2003, 09:56 PM
ya thats what i think but is it out and if so who the hell caries it some card shop?

StryderPSO
Aug 11, 2003, 09:58 PM
cmon man do you have to say fuck in the topic...its just stupid and reflects upon your intelligence level. There are so many other words to use, and I am not against swearing just keep it out of the fucking Topic heading http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

mimicr
Aug 11, 2003, 09:58 PM
Okay, First, you want to complain about PSO ep3. Then you are asking where to buy it, what side are you on?

NKgotmilk
Aug 11, 2003, 10:00 PM
im still complaining just wonderin if a card shop carries it

mimicr
Aug 11, 2003, 10:06 PM
Noo... a video game store sells it.

NKgotmilk
Aug 11, 2003, 10:17 PM
what about a video game card store hybrid

Genoa
Aug 12, 2003, 03:00 PM
I think it'l turn out nice. If you've noticed, theres not many Turn Base RPG's that our futureistic. Mostly WAAAY back then stuff with leather as your starting armor (sniker) so now its like... all Technology like and stuff. um.... YEAH. Still its pso man. I just wish that it had more of an Adventure side, Like a in-depth story line. Instead of just Leveling and playin online with rare drops to find... Needs more talk. Sheesh never thought I'd say that about an RPG. Like cut seens <--spell check) oh that'd be cool. But I know one reason why they didnt. (cause I it would be hard to set it up in a multi player setting, it would have to show your custom mad character, and probably some others I can't thing of at the moment)

Joe-Azlin
Aug 12, 2003, 03:03 PM
im sooo disapointed with episode 3

Nambrosia
Aug 12, 2003, 03:06 PM
Why are the majority of these polls started by Anti-Episode III advocates?

Personally I think EpIII will be great.

Gigawatt
Aug 12, 2003, 03:12 PM
I think EP III will be good too. The fact that people start these polls and say they hate Ep III without even trying it out first really gets me angry. Has ANYONE who responded to this poll even have the trial and can say it's stupid? Don't knock it till you try it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gigawatt on 2003-08-12 13:19 ]</font>

Garanz2
Aug 12, 2003, 03:54 PM
It looks good to me, I think it's an interesting idea but I'll probably try and get some opinions (like from magazines and review sites) before i decide to buy it or not. Everyone has their own opinion, but I wouldn't condemn the game until I at least found out what other people think.

Valleo
Aug 12, 2003, 04:47 PM
I personally would like some more reviews from people who are actually playing the game. Thanks to Atax for bothering to post in this thread, but why dont any of the other players post? Not a flame or anything, just some thoughts on the game? The sticky thread seems to be mostly updates to movies and pics, which are nice, but I would like some first hand reviews from players i sort of know, you know, with opinions, likes and dislikes and so on.

As it stands now, I personally dont like what I see. From what I understand, you create a character to represent youself only in the lobbies, and when you play, your character is represented by a standard char? Correct me if im wrong please, as the character customization was one of my two favorite parts of the original games. The other was the the gameplay, which I know obviously is out. I would love for this game to surprise me and turn out to be as addictive as the other PSO games, but Im not feeling that vibe. Ive never liked any card games, which by the way is just as valid a point as "I dont usually like any RPG's" or "I dont usually like FPS' ". And please dont call this a turn based RPG. Its a card game based RPG. There is a difference. The idea that anyone would compare any card game to a classic turn based RPG is ridiculous.

Having said all this, I wont say that the game sucks because I havent played it and know very little about it. Like I said I would be happy to have a new PSO game to become addicted to. It just seems to me that ST decided to cash in on a very popular gaming genre before moving on from PSO to PSO 2, or whatever it is they have planned next.

LollipopLolita
Aug 12, 2003, 05:07 PM
I did post, but I'll post something I wrote in a pm

Right now, I wouldn't be able to make a 100% fair judgement of Ep3 since it's not the full release. You can't compare it to Ep 1 & 2, it's a totally different game. It's a lot more strategy, there's a lot more thinking and planning. It might be repetitive to battle people, but it's not repetitive in the way that you don't go around and hack and bash enemy after enemy with your eyes closed. You have to pay attention during battle even during the opponent's turn to strategize your next move. But after a while, battling person after person gets repetitive in it's own way. It's a lot more fun to play against another human online rather than playing with a com. But already, there are some easy ways to level that I have figured out. Online play so far (albeit limited in the trial) is good, a lot of people would love the tournament option but for the standard PSO player who is into running around and exploring, and not into card games, they will be somewhat disappointed. For someone who loves strategy and teamwork, it's good. I personally like it, and it has held my interest more than Ep 1 & 2 did but just because I was on ver 1 and then ver 2 so Ep 1 & 2 was just about the same game with new levels. Hope that helps!

From what I understand, you create a character to represent youself only in the lobbies, and when you play, your character is represented by a standard char?

yes, read the faq.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1282

So you have to play an NPC in a battle?
Yes, you choose through NPC's who you would like to play, different NPC's can use different cards and have different abilities. You will only see the character that you create in the beggining in the Lobby and on Pioneer 2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-12 15:20 ]</font>

Saladwood
Aug 12, 2003, 06:03 PM
I like the game so far. There's some strategy to how you play, and the game is pretty balanced (player vs player, the COM AI is a bit crap right now). And some luck comes into play with the dice, and you never know when you're going to be rolled low dice when you really need to make some mvoes.

You get a LOT of good cards right away, and that definately is going to change for the final version.

I'm having fun with it now, but I as it is now, definately not long term playable. Have to see the final version to see how long term the game will be.

Storme
Aug 12, 2003, 06:54 PM
Got your message lolita, and it sounds great. I can't wait for it to hit full in JP and then the states so I can import.

LollipopLolita
Aug 12, 2003, 07:23 PM
Just don't compare it to Ep 1 & 2 and don't expect it to be anything like Ep 1 and 2. Remember this is a completely new game. Keep that in your head, have that perspective and play with a fresh mind.

I have to say ST is both creative and daring to take PSO's gameplay from what it was to what it will be in Ep 3.

And of course, as we get more news and content, we'll be adding them to the site.

Outrider
Aug 12, 2003, 07:44 PM
On 2003-08-12 14:47, Valleo wrote:
I personally would like some more reviews from people who are actually playing the game. Thanks to Atax for bothering to post in this thread, but why dont any of the other players post? Not a flame or anything, just some thoughts on the game? The sticky thread seems to be mostly updates to movies and pics, which are nice, but I would like some first hand reviews from players i sort of know, you know, with opinions, likes and dislikes and so on.

As it stands now, I personally dont like what I see. From what I understand, you create a character to represent youself only in the lobbies, and when you play, your character is represented by a standard char? Correct me if im wrong please, as the character customization was one of my two favorite parts of the original games. The other was the the gameplay, which I know obviously is out. I would love for this game to surprise me and turn out to be as addictive as the other PSO games, but Im not feeling that vibe. Ive never liked any card games, which by the way is just as valid a point as "I dont usually like any RPG's" or "I dont usually like FPS' ". And please dont call this a turn based RPG. Its a card game based RPG. There is a difference. The idea that anyone would compare any card game to a classic turn based RPG is ridiculous.

Having said all this, I wont say that the game sucks because I havent played it and know very little about it. Like I said I would be happy to have a new PSO game to become addicted to. It just seems to me that ST decided to cash in on a very popular gaming genre before moving on from PSO to PSO 2, or whatever it is they have planned next.

Well... you take turns. And it's an RPG. That constitutes a turn-based RPG. And saying it's not because it uses cards is just silly. Does that mean Dragon Warrior is a sword-based RPG? And Pokemon is a Pocket Monster-based RPG? No, they're all turn-based.

And to say that making a card game is just a way to cash in on a popular genre... I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree. I feel that rather than picking the card genre in an attempt to get "kiddies" and whatnot, I feel that Sonic Team wanted to make something new. There are several genres that have just surfaced and as of yet have not been thoroughly explored. ST probably looked at these, and chose the card genre because there's still quite a bit that can be done with it AND it is a relatively known genre due to the popularity of certain titles such as Yu Gi Oh and other games. It's crazy, but just so much that it just might work.

NKgotmilk
Aug 12, 2003, 08:17 PM
im knocking it because its not adventure
there was phantasy star and that was taking turns rpg
phantasy star online is adventure rpg
they should call it phantasy star 4 instead of pso episode 3

Sashi
Aug 12, 2003, 08:20 PM
From what I understand, you create a character to represent youself only in the lobbies, and when you play, your character is represented by a standard char?

yes, read the faq.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1282

So you have to play an NPC in a battle?
Yes, you choose through NPC's who you would like to play, different NPC's can use different cards and have different abilities. You will only see the character that you create in the beggining in the Lobby and on Pioneer 2.

I kinda hope this changes in the final version. I would like to see the characters we made, not just a representation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sashi on 2003-08-12 18:21 ]</font>

vegeta000110
Aug 12, 2003, 09:05 PM
As long as it isn't Lost Kingdoms. In LK, you can run out of cards in your deck and then you are screwed because you have no weps. I hope they make an RL version of the ep.3 cards.

Nambrosia
Aug 12, 2003, 09:18 PM
On 2003-08-12 18:17, NKgotmilk wrote:
phantasy star online is adventure rpg
they should call it phantasy star 4 instead of pso episode 3

Um.. There already IS a Phantasy Star IV.

And what in the words "Phantasy Star Online", says "Adventure RPG"? Really, it was just a coincedince that the first three versions (DCv1;DCv2/PC;GC/XBox) were Adventure RPG types. There's nothing that says a "PSO" title has to be Adventure RPG type.

-STE-
Aug 13, 2003, 01:50 AM
On 2003-08-12 16:03, Saladwood wrote:
I like the game so far. There's some strategy to how you play, and the game is pretty balanced (player vs player, the COM AI is a bit crap right now). And some luck comes into play with the dice, and you never know when you're going to be rolled low dice when you really need to make some mvoes.

You get a LOT of good cards right away, and that definately is going to change for the final version.

I'm having fun with it now, but I as it is now, definately not long term playable. Have to see the final version to see how long term the game will be.

I like game too but somethings is very strange.

COM is very stupid too easy to win i lose only 2 3 times against COM i have 250 wins now.

Game is not balanced if other person do 6 6 6 with dice and you do 2 4 2 for exemple you sure lose dice is too important 70% is lucky for win in this game (against others human not COM against COM it is too stupid like it do 6 with a dice and dont do a move nothing onlt pass turn loll).

Tournament is very good things you have a rank you must win for have a better rank ecc again play tournament against COM is too easy and if you play against others person is veryyyyy boring you must wait all other finish theyr battle for do another battle and sometimes is very long you must wait like 15 minutes in lobby ....

About EXP exp go down if you lose this mean person who want lv up on this game dont play against others person but only against PC i hope in final version is not like this.

Rare cards is too easy to win it and they are useless too you can use it maybe only against darkside if you use a dark flow or tsumiriki jsword against heroside battle become very long and you cant win easy is hard to explain the reason but you cant equip infinite weapon and if you equip a dark flor after you cant equip others because it is a big value weapon based on yellow circle of the card.

http://www.phantasystaronline.it/episode3/cards/greenCard_saber.jpg

I think game can become boring very fast for all but this is only trial i have 120 hours of playing and i like game i hope only they change lots of things for final edicion.

Jakalnife
Aug 13, 2003, 02:11 AM
I think this whole thing will bust. I mean a card game c'mon it won't even matter what class you choose you'll just look different!

Master_of_Dragons
Aug 13, 2003, 02:38 AM
by what i have heard and seen i am still undecided. the npcs are cool. but cards...ehhh... er... i dunno. i dont think it is worth 60$ starting off. i might by it if it is like 35 40. but not 60 for the game. It is just a copy of pso and lost kingdoms. lol

i need to check into it more. I am not getting the jp version though. i will wait for the states to release it.

-STE-
Aug 13, 2003, 02:39 AM
I forgot some characters is very ugly : PP like fomar heroside or hucaseal darkside heheheh

LollipopLolita
Aug 13, 2003, 04:04 AM
Jakalnife, it does matter what class you choose for your individual deck. Certain weapons are only equippable by certain classes. It doesn't matter what class you chose your main character to be, but at least ST left that in as a nostalgic tribute to Ep 1 and 2.

You don't always lose exp when you lose. I know Erupt didn't when he played against two people who are higher level. And I know if you're a real high level and beat a real low level you yourself might lose exp. And I think that's a good thing, it encourages people to play within your level and not abuse the exp system. And we know how PSO players have a reputation for abusing glitches and loopholes. So in that aspect, I think that ST put some thought into it.

I do hope they tweak the rarity of the cards. As in maybe you only get the rare ones when you are a higher level. Right now, because we're on trial, they might just be throwing all the cards out for us to use and experiment with since they said for sure that card parameters will be changed and tweaked. So right now what we're playing is not even the real thing.

Having the dice does hold true to the nature of card games and yea when you get a low roll and have an active hand with high set point requirements per card, you're kinda stuck. But that also means you don't always win, you have to build strategy and think a little and have variation and suspense. And if you do win with low dice rolls, then you really do have some major skills, which is something to respect.

I wonder what the incentive of being a clv 300 is though.

I really don't know how you can judge a game without playing it at all. So really you guys should refrain from it since you can't experience it til you're in a battle and choosing what to do with the controller in your hands. How can you fairly judge a game if you're a pessimist and already set in what you think, and not open to it? That's not giving the game a fair chance. Sure, it's a completely different gameplay and it will turn away some die hard Ep 1 and 2 players but it will also draw new people who will be die hard Ep 3 people.

STE, omg peko, arkz fonewm, man ugly ugly. And when he uses the fly support card, so funny!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-13 02:10 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Aug 13, 2003, 04:07 AM
You can't win against Lollie. I think this brings the count up to 15041 now....congrats lamers.

How about we get over the fact that ep 3 is revolves around cards. Just play the game when it comes out and shut the fuck up until then.

-STE-
Aug 13, 2003, 05:29 AM
On 2003-08-13 02:04, LollipopLolita wrote:
Jakalnife, it does matter what class you choose for your individual deck. Certain weapons are only equippable by certain classes. It doesn't matter what class you chose your main character to be, but at least ST left that in as a nostalgic tribute to Ep 1 and 2.

You don't always lose exp when you lose. I know Erupt didn't when he played against two people who are higher level. And I know if you're a real high level and beat a real low level you yourself might lose exp. And I think that's a good thing, it encourages people to play within your level and not abuse the exp system. And we know how PSO players have a reputation for abusing glitches and loopholes. So in that aspect, I think that ST put some thought into it.

I do hope they tweak the rarity of the cards. As in maybe you only get the rare ones when you are a higher level. Right now, because we're on trial, they might just be throwing all the cards out for us to use and experiment with since they said for sure that card parameters will be changed and tweaked. So right now what we're playing is not even the real thing.

Having the dice does hold true to the nature of card games and yea when you get a low roll and have an active hand with high set point requirements per card, you're kinda stuck. But that also means you don't always win, you have to build strategy and think a little and have variation and suspense. And if you do win with low dice rolls, then you really do have some major skills, which is something to respect.

I wonder what the incentive of being a clv 300 is though.

I really don't know how you can judge a game without playing it at all. So really you guys should refrain from it since you can't experience it til you're in a battle and choosing what to do with the controller in your hands. How can you fairly judge a game if you're a pessimist and already set in what you think, and not open to it? That's not giving the game a fair chance. Sure, it's a completely different gameplay and it will turn away some die hard Ep 1 and 2 players but it will also draw new people who will be die hard Ep 3 people.

STE, omg peko, arkz fonewm, man ugly ugly. And when he uses the fly support card, so funny!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-13 02:10 ]</font>

EXP is very strange yes im lv 15 now and i didnt understand it at all i have now 5 exp for battle but other time i lose against an human and i lost 50exp!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Cards yes true Sonic Team set it like a normal weapons i hope they add like a price for tournament who win have some good cards and better if you can choose only 1 card when you win now i have like all weapon of the game but 90% are useless.

About DICE im sure when final version come out and im playing against usa eu people and i have a 6 on dice and they lose because they have 1 point only, they will be angry about this.

Da_Jue
Aug 13, 2003, 07:11 AM
eheheh yea very easy to get all cards if you win : )

I ve know you lost a little exp (as 15-20) if you lost a battle, maybe depend on you lv, a high lv lost more exp than a low lv

Para
Aug 13, 2003, 10:58 AM
I thought Reiz looked nice STE http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
but some characters are really cute looking =)

Valleo
Aug 13, 2003, 11:23 AM
Here are a few odd questions that may have already been answered. Sorry if this is repetetive;

I understand that you play as an NPC while battling. But when you create a character, does he get represented by a card or at all in the battles? And if so do the player specific cards stats change at all after level up? That would actually be cool.

Also, are the cards always at a set value or can you improve or boost card stats. I dont mean a temporary power up during a battle, but rather, since I know a card can break, can it also level up so that its stats get permanently better, or is leveling strictly for your character. So that mabye there can be a difference between a LV.1 Pan Arms card and a LV. 2 Pan Arms card and such. That would be cool too.

alfredpacker
Aug 13, 2003, 12:18 PM
looks like trash

LollipopLolita
Aug 13, 2003, 05:10 PM
understand that you play as an NPC while battling. But when you create a character, does he get represented by a card or at all in the battles?

read this thread and my thoughts on it

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=62794&forum=1&27

And if so do the player specific cards stats change at all after level up? That would actually be cool.

The stats for the individual class and abilities of each class are different. So that will come into play.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1278

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1277

AP , TP and MV is different, certain classes can equip only certain weapons. And certain classes might have further range of attack or unaffected by certain status conditions, eg" humanoids can't be shocked.

Also, are the cards always at a set value or can you improve or boost card stats.

card values are set but during battle, you can combine cards together.

since I know a card can break, can it also level up so that its stats get permanently better, or is leveling strictly for your character.

a card breaks in battle when let's say an equipped weapon card HP goes to 0 or a monster card's HP goes to 0. but that card is not permanently broken. You still have it in your deck. it's just broken and unseable in the current battle. card stats stay as is permanently. cards have no level, clv is your character's lvl. ST calls it card level but it's just the same as your character level in ep 1 & 2. Don't ask me why.

The power lies behind combining the right cards together and achieving a powerful attack/damage. But you can only do this if you get a good dice roll since each card has a set point requirement (yellow circles in card) that uses up your ATK points

Para
Aug 13, 2003, 06:03 PM
About the Experience Losing thing... honestly I think its a good idea.

Im sure you've played Warcraft III online. WarCraft III has a "Play Game" option that allows the computer to automatically search for a similar opponent of the same skill strength. The point of the experience then comes. If you are not strong and you keep losing to stronger players, your experience will decrease by a small amount. If you defeat an opponent who is stronger, you get more experience because your skill level is higher than his (though it is rare you would pair up with someone who is superior to your skill level). Another point of this is to provide a challenge where both players can have fun. Getting paired against a similar skill level opponent makes it a good challenge for both players instead of having 1 weaker and 1 greater player of skill strength.

As for things I expect in the full version, I hope they add more weapons and skills. To see more variety would bring more depth to the game. Of course the game in my opinion is on a solid foundation but it definitely needs more depth. My suggestion is to provide more maps and give the maps some enviromental obstacles. The maps are too plain from whatI've seen. Anyways those are my suggetions for now I guess.

Genoa
Aug 13, 2003, 06:35 PM
wait a minute, I'm confused about the whole character creation thing... Why does it show 6 characters to choose from (3 Hunters, 3 Arkz) but then I saw a screen shot of a character creation screen where you actually make a character (like Epi 1&2) so... how do you... create a character?

LollipopLolita
Aug 13, 2003, 06:41 PM
creating a character is different from creating a deck

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=62794&forum=1&27

RaikoStormX
Aug 13, 2003, 08:03 PM
I think it will be pretty good. I just won't get it because i have played way too many turned based things, so now i am fed up. I'd like it if it was card based, but turn based, like LOST KINGDOMS. lol, sorry to any other game ref. SO basically, i just wont get it.

LollipopLolita
Aug 13, 2003, 08:08 PM
it's a turn based card game, so it's turn based and card based. does that help?

me too.

-STE-
Aug 14, 2003, 02:36 AM
On 2003-08-13 16:03, Nites wrote:

Im sure you've played Warcraft III online. WarCraft III has a "Play Game" option that allows the computer to automatically search for a similar opponent of the same skill strength. The point of the experience then comes. If you are not strong and you keep losing to stronger players, your experience will decrease by a small amount. If you defeat an opponent who is stronger, you get more experience because your skill level is higher than his (though it is rare you would pair up with someone who is superior to your skill level). Another point of this is to provide a challenge where both players can have fun. Getting paired against a similar skill level opponent makes it a good challenge for both players instead of having 1 weaker and 1 greater player of skill strength.

As for things I expect in the full version, I hope they add more weapons and skills. To see more variety would bring more depth to the game. Of course the game in my opinion is on a solid foundation but it definitely needs more depth. My suggestion is to provide more maps and give the maps some enviromental obstacles. The maps are too plain from whatI've seen. Anyways those are my suggetions for now I guess.

I played with people who disconnect before losing game on tournament a lot do this because if you lose you lost exp and rank points, in lobby you can see people with lot of disconnection at lower lv.

UltimateShifty
Aug 14, 2003, 02:52 AM
ep.3 will be great! thats for sure..cuz there are way more options and things to do.
and whats wrong with pkmn and yugioh:)

Valleo
Aug 14, 2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the answers.... Hmm so it does in fact play a lot like the YU-GI-OH games as far as the cards themselves go, powerups and so on.... hopefully there will be some more additions in the full version.