PDA

View Full Version : Offline corruption: WHAT CAUSES IT???

Bradicus
Aug 11, 2003, 10:21 PM
I have heared countless rumers as to what can cause offline corruption (I mean totally offline, not phoneline problems). Is it a mem card problem or perhaps making tons of chars? Does it relate to the guild card file more or less so than the char file? is it on X box or mearly on gamcube because of its card? These questions and more will be answered on todays episode of.... *Cough* sorry about that... still, i have been offline corrupted 2X and i would like to avoid the same fate (without the use of multi files or any of that crap. Im interrested in prevention, not hacking!!!)

I beg all those out ther with even a crackpot theory... I am desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redmane
Aug 12, 2003, 02:37 AM
Well, like it says don't touch the memory card or power button while its saving. Thats one cause. Another, which happened to my friends awesome lvl 156 hunewearl (sp?) was his brother unplugged the 2nd player controller while it was saving and it corrupted it. I don't know of many other ways... but yeah, when its saving, just don't touch anything period, its safer that way.

kat
Aug 12, 2003, 12:40 PM
in addition to removing the memory card while any saving is going on, or turning off the power at that time, there is the question of the memory card being used being more suseptible to corruption in the long run. the following is from the sticky guide at the top of the forum:

14Q: Is there a certain kind of memory card I should use? Why do people tell me that first party memory cards are the best? Is it just because of the brand name?

14A: No, not quite. Usually, third party memory cards are more unreliable than first party ones because they are manufactured with cheaper memory. Also, memory cards which boast high capacities, like 2X or 10X cards, are usually made from one memory bank with compression capabilities. This means that, every time you save a file, you are compressing the data, and that each time you access the file, you're decompressing it. This perpetual process will almost inevitably corrupt and destroy your data, especially since console games are never programmed to optimally work with this technology. First party memory cards do not cost more simply because of the name that's slapped on them -- they almost always have higher quality memory banks, and never used compressed memory. This is much safer!

Now, if you want some tips on prevention help, etc. what were you doing when you corrupted each time?

Bradicus
Aug 12, 2003, 05:48 PM
As far as i know, nothing. Although, i tend to erase my guild card file a lot to make more room. Still, the times that i got corrupted, i had alredy had a gc file for a few plays.

Still, in the future i will totally freeze when the game is saving... Wont move a muscle!

Seph5172
Aug 13, 2003, 01:42 AM
I was only corrupted once.. But THAT, was my own fault. I turned off the power while it was saving because I was pissed off... Hehe.

colicab
Aug 13, 2003, 07:41 AM
i got 2 3rd party card, both are normal gc size, but yeah i get corrupts 2 - 3 times a week, but norms just re-inserting the mem card wil fix it

-Z
Aug 14, 2003, 12:09 PM
Ya know, im getting pretty worried about this too. I've gotten my main character pretty good, and couldnt immagine losing him.ok, so bassically don't take out the memory card or turn power off when saving and i'll be fine? if there are any other offline ways to get corrupted, please post em.

PS to bradicus: I still have my feelings about mome ^_^

Dragon_Ash
Aug 14, 2003, 03:56 PM
I have been using a third party "Game" memory card since i got my Gamecube, and I have had no problems at all with corruption

RadHaz
Aug 15, 2003, 02:52 AM
I started having mem card probs, too. I was able to recover from these errors without loosing all my loot, by opening the lid of the GC and shutting down. I investigated.
Mine is an Interact mem card.
The card felt warm to the touch, compared with my Nintendo card. I pried it apart, and measured the temperature of the three chips on the circuit card. One chip measured 135 degrees F, the others measured around 100. I then applied a piece of thermally conductive tape to the circuit card back, so that it touched the card housing.
I then made a wad of this tape, and placed it on the hot chip, ensuring that it touched the top housing when the card was re-assembled.
No probs since.
My surmise is that these third party cards are overheating.
Just my ni yen worth.

ChaosBooma
Aug 15, 2003, 05:15 AM
On 2003-08-15 00:52, RadHaz wrote:
I started having mem card probs, too. I was able to recover from these errors without loosing all my loot, by opening the lid of the GC and shutting down. I investigated.
Mine is an Interact mem card.
The card felt warm to the touch, compared with my Nintendo card. I pried it apart, and measured the temperature of the three chips on the circuit card. One chip measured 135 degrees F, the others measured around 100. I then applied a piece of thermally conductive tape to the circuit card back, so that it touched the card housing.
I then made a wad of this tape, and placed it on the hot chip, ensuring that it touched the top housing when the card was re-assembled.
No probs since.
My surmise is that these third party cards are overheating.
Just my ni yen worth.

hmm that must be what happens to my 4 gamers one.i play then it either says its corrupted or when i check memory card manager it says there is nothing on the card.i take it out,leave it for a while and put back in and its not corrupted and all my data is back