PDA

View Full Version : Original Online Game [Non-PSO]

Seph5172
Aug 14, 2003, 10:14 AM
I have an idea that is plaguing me... Visit http://www.neopets.com, and maybe you'll get what it is I'm thinking about...

Well, either way, here's my idea.

You make an account (duh), and then have four slots to create four different characters. You can make a character (just like in PSO), and can choose from different costume colors and hair colors.

Once you create your character, you can battle people in a battle mode, do challenges (not sure how that would work yet, we'll see), play mini-games based on PSO to gain items and other cool stuff (MAG PARTS!), and explore Ragol (ADVENTURE MODE), in which you can battle monsters, defeat the bosses, and find items for your characters.

Just explore that NEOPETS site a bit, a lot of which is there I have ideas for PSO for too, as in MAG FEEDING and BREEDING, and just about anything you can do on PSO, only on the PC and in text based format. We can even add new rares and control it!

Anyway, anyone that is interested in hearing more about my idea, or interested in joining in my attempt to create this, reply here. Here's what I need...

Artists. I can do this, but I can't do all of it, having 12 characters with 4-5 hair colors/uniforms, etcetra, it becomes very extensive with the pictures (although recolors are easy), but we do need mag pictures (cartoonized), and all weapons and stuff cartoonized.

Coders. PHP, HTML, all that good stuff. This is what I really need more than anything, besides maybe someone that could afford to buy hosting for it once it's almost done. JAVASCRIPT is involved, too, I'm sure.

I'm also going to need people to actually help maintain the site. If the coders are dedicated enough to do the site itself, they should be dedicated enough to make it so Admins and such can edit content and edit/delete characters and accounts. (So basically an administration panel)

I know HTML, and very little PHP, so this is where I need the most help. I might also need some layout designers... Although I'm pretty good with Photoshop, I'm bad with site layouts... I'll try and make a basic one later on.

Anyway, yeah, please respond... I'm actually going to draw a few test images to get started. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

NOTE: FLASH developers, too! For the mini-games! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seph5172 on 2003-08-22 11:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seph5172 on 2003-08-22 12:05 ]</font>

Seph5172
Aug 20, 2003, 10:32 PM
Meh... Three pages, I think I can bump now... Gawd, is it just the thread name?

Respond people, now! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Elvendar
Aug 20, 2003, 11:27 PM
Are you paying for hosting? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Seph5172
Aug 21, 2003, 09:12 AM
I would, but I can't... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I won't worry about that now, though, not until I actually have a few people to help, and it starts looking like something.

Neoluke12
Aug 21, 2003, 09:39 AM
I'm also going to need people to actually help maintain the site. If the coders are dedicated enough to do the site itself, they should be dedicated enough to make it so Admins and such can edit content and edit/delete characters and accounts. (So basically an administration panel)

I can do this for ya, good communication, I can find out what people like keep the site up too scratch etc. yea ill do that stuff if you don't mind!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoluke12 on 2003-08-21 07:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoluke12 on 2003-08-21 07:43 ]</font>

Neoluke12
Aug 21, 2003, 09:45 AM
How about a forum too set up trades if it is possible???? Just wonderin thought it would be a good idea!!!!

Seph5172
Aug 21, 2003, 10:06 AM
I have forums, but I'll have to get it to a different host once we get one for the site... If and when! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Because LYCOS BLOWS.

I'm planning on actually being involved (raising my own character) too, so I will be able to chat with players and stuff. I'm not just doing this for everyone, you know. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

There's a lot of stuff to be done... I still need...
1-2 PHP programmers
1-2 more artists
1-2 Flash programmers (for mini-games)
1-2 to help develop ideas

The ideas part can be the whole forum, but hell... For some reason I think this should be somewhere else, like General Discussion, since not as many people come here as there... I'm going to link this thread to my signature, too.

Please, help me spread this idea, we still need a team, and then we can get to work. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PS: I really want this to work. Nothing I've every planned to do in the past I have persued, but I'm persistant in getting a team together, which is already farther than I have ever gone. It's funny, I was actually thinking of doing it alone.. That would mean having to learn PHP (More) and Flash... My brain would explode. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Neoluke12
Aug 21, 2003, 10:10 AM
Will this be designed for a younger or older age or both????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoluke12 on 2003-08-21 08:19 ]</font>

Neoluke12
Aug 21, 2003, 10:18 AM
here to make it easier ill apply for this slot just to make it simple!!!!

Ill apply for "to help develop ideas" slot as I have an active imagination!!!! Ive already given some anyway!!!

Logical2u
Aug 21, 2003, 10:42 AM
I know of Neopets... Most... addictive... online game... EVER.

I know some HTTP. Enough to let me Hyperlink anyways.
I volunteer for the 'Help develop ideas' category and also as a writer for the 'script'.

However, we'll need to expand on the pictures already contained here. I'm sure I could go down to EB and pick up a new memory card to try out different combinations of colors and stuff.

Neoluke12
Aug 21, 2003, 11:11 AM
what site are you planning on using to host, I can have a look around if you want?????

clance
Aug 21, 2003, 12:05 PM
Ok, the word "NEOPETS" puts me off, but I'll help you out with the HTML coding as I've had at least 5 years experience of it, I can make flash presentations, pictures, and alot of people will prove this as I have made certain things for them, I'm helping you only because of my m8 neoluke...

Flash presentations means in other words, MINI GAMES, SMOOTH ANIMATIONS etc

And I edit sounds and MP3's etc,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clance on 2003-08-21 10:13 ]</font>

Neoluke12
Aug 21, 2003, 12:07 PM
Clance knows a lot about html code...... I recommend him he made my sig!!!!!

He is also a flash programer!!!! Thats sorted!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoluke12 on 2003-08-21 10:12 ]</font>

Seph5172
Aug 21, 2003, 09:43 PM
It's going to be more adult like, more like a real game, like T or M, only will be suitable for kids... Not that I give a shit about whiney parents that say blood makes kids crazy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I want original artwork, though... I mean, actual drawn pictures. I'm trying to draw better, but it's hard, because I'm also trying to draw a more cartoonish style, and I'm used to realistic drawing (well, think Warcraft). http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Seph5172
Aug 21, 2003, 09:45 PM
We need PHP more than anything though... I wanted to buy a book on PHP and MySQL databasing, but it was $50... Damn. I can learn online, but I tried and didn't avail much.

I'm not bad with HTML, I'm just bad at making nice layouts with images, because I'm bad at puting the images together and the such.

EDIT: Oops, double post, my bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seph5172 on 2003-08-21 19:45 ]</font>

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 02:29 AM
this is our team at the moment:
2 "Developing idea's" experts
1 "flash programmer"
1 "artist"
0 "php" experts

Well at the moment i will announce that we are officialy screwed unless we get someone to do php!!!!!

FOWL_MeCh
Aug 22, 2003, 02:32 AM
I could be an artist but i'm not sure... probably a side artist. I'm not the best in the world. But my uncles an artist so...

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 02:47 AM
Ok why dont you give seph a preview of a picture you drew I guess????? See what he says????

FOWL_MeCh
Aug 22, 2003, 03:19 AM
yeah, that would help. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 03:42 AM
Im alway's glad too help!!!! New idea you reverted back to neopets seph well Im going to guess there will be a currency!!!!!! Well it will be meseta, but how hard is it too make online shops????? Next (yes there is more) our flash programmer (clance) has told me he is going on holiday for two weeks!!! So Ill (if I see him online) ask him too create a flash game for us!!!! Then if we wanted we should be able to do a trial version of the site as soon as we find someone to do php!!!!

Now if this goes too plan I would guess there would be a trial version, but first we need a host!!!!! Now this is a question to everybody who looks at this forum page, do you know any decent free host's?????????

Logical2u
Aug 22, 2003, 08:07 AM
Have you guys seen one of the games on Bonus.com? It has you dungeon crawling with advancing diffuculties, shops, training, an inn and a tavern.

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 08:29 AM
hey clance is making a game for us at the moment, just a taster so it wont be perfect!!!!

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 08:50 AM
ok screw the trial version idea

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bondage.gif

ppl will just have too wait!!!!

Kade
Aug 22, 2003, 09:02 AM
My sisters go on Neo Pets all the time, i think it would be awesome if u could do that Seph, i deffinatly think you should give it a try http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Seph5172
Aug 22, 2003, 01:17 PM
Well, I thought of it, and I said to myself "That would be fun as hell!". So I set out to create it.

Actually, maybe we shouldn't make it about PSO... Maybe create something totally original! That way, there is no risk for getting shut down, and we can think of EVERYTHING from scratch. Who likes this idea better?

Kade
Aug 22, 2003, 01:32 PM
i think the PSO idea was better, but mayb im just bias cuz i love the world of PSO ::shrug::

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 01:35 PM
i reckon the original idea is better

Seph5172
Aug 22, 2003, 02:04 PM
Well, seeing as there IS a game of PSO already, yeah, I'm going with the original.

Logical2u
Aug 22, 2003, 02:14 PM
You could make it based around the PSO stat system and item system, but with a different twist like inbetween EP1/2 and EP3.

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 02:19 PM
right,ive spoken to seph using aim, and here i go:
-We will include a dark side and a good side!!!
-The weapons will be the same for both apart from rare weapons
-It will not be pso based
-It will be set in a kinda futuristic theme
-We will try and get a beta version of the site
-Im gonna create (not draw) the dark side and seph will do the light side!!!!

We are still up for more idea's for we will need a set e.g like earth or summat!!

Anything extra will come in handy!!!

Logical2u
Aug 22, 2003, 02:25 PM
Ok, so we are creating a completly unique game, not based at all on PSO... Do you mind if I write up some script?

Neoluke12
Aug 22, 2003, 02:26 PM
ask seph but we are not sure about a lot of stuff yet!!!!!

Outrider
Aug 23, 2003, 02:16 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I might be able to contribute as an artist. The idea is sounding interesting. I just have to wait till I get my new computer and settled in at school to see if I'll have enough free time.

In the mean time (the inbetween time), you can check out my Geocities site for some samples of my stuff. Decide from that.

crazy_latino2
Aug 24, 2003, 12:07 AM
You guys should make it free. no monthly fee or any of that crap, if it gets big like what happened to neopets a lot of freaggin sponsors will be paying a sh*t load of money to you just so it can say "Watch the new movie Gigli won't suck this time. staring ben affleck and not jennifer lopez but a barbie that kinda looks like her." and crap like that.

Logical2u
Aug 24, 2003, 07:16 AM
If we want it to be free, we have to have sponsors. Or are you suggesting we pay for it ourselves?

Neoluke12
Aug 24, 2003, 07:44 AM
I agree with logical!!!!!

Seph5172
Aug 25, 2003, 08:05 AM
Ugh, son of a bitch web browser closed on my in mid-message... Grr...

Anyway...

I was at my dad's this weekend, which explains why I was gone, and I thought of a few ideas.

These are the three 'official-yet-not' factions:
Lightside - Fights for truth, honesty, and justice.
Shadowside - Seeks to destroy the light and universe domination.
Natureside - Although not immediatly an enemy of either of the other factions, the natureside seek to gain complete freedom from the shadows, who have tortured them into their violent state.

I'm going to go write up a quick file with all my ideas, but here's the basics...

There will be two races to choose from for the Lightside and Shadowside. These races are Human and Elven, which may change to something more original. Aside from these two races, each faction has it's own original race, excluding Natureside. Natureside has three unique races, the Ent (or Trent), the Minataur, and a third race that I need to think of a name for.

Once you pick a race, you have a choice of classes, which will define what you can use in terms of items, your status, and any other factors. These classes are...

Warrior - Powerful fighters. STRENGTH is base.
Ranger - Master marksmen. DEXTERITY is base.
Sorcerer - Masters of Sorcery. INTELLIGENCE is base.

There are one or two more I will get into later, and one or two for each faction.

I will update later once I have filled in all of the loose-ends, and then we can discuss what should be changed or whatnot.

NOTE: I'm very tempted to make this medieval... Sweet-ass armor and swords and bows are so much cooler... Hmm...

Neoluke12
Aug 25, 2003, 10:01 AM
I agree medievil alway's is fantasy based

Logical2u
Aug 25, 2003, 10:39 AM
Medieval? That's really overdone. At least make it more Fantasy then medieval IE: Weapons that are made up rather then based on reality?

Seph5172
Aug 25, 2003, 12:33 PM
Uhh, yeah... But I mean, I like the style of weaponry and armor from the past. Photon and high-tech just isn't my style.

Medieval isn't really what I mean by it... More like... I don't know. Think Lord of the Rings, that kind of thing. It's not medieval, per se, but ya know.

Yeah. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Neoluke12
Aug 25, 2003, 01:13 PM
yea well that will do also its the best!!!!

Outrider
Aug 25, 2003, 04:01 PM
You could make it similar to other games... such as Final Fantasy 3 (6)... swords, shields and armor... yet still has advanced mechanics. Still, it's up to you.

Seph5172
Aug 25, 2003, 07:17 PM
It will be all worked out... Soon. I haven't worked on it yet, I mean any further, but I will soon. I was out dirt-biking for a while, and I'm beat.

Kadou
Aug 25, 2003, 08:03 PM
Outrider, I mean as little offense as possible when I say that your artwork is about as good as mine, save that you can draw shoes (something I tend to have a lot of trouble with).

At any rate, your idea seems pretty good to me, though if I were a business owner I wouldn't want to sponser you any more than I'd want to sponser a board game drawn up by a pair of 5-year-olds. Again, I mean as little offense as possible in that, but I really can't see why anyone would do that, unless of course, they're a friend of yours who doesn't have much to lose in it, or maybe somebody who's desperate for publicity.
Either way I'd like to help you with it, though all I could really offer are some ideas, maybe some script that doesn't contain dialogue (assuming you still plan to make this text-based), and possibly a little bit of drawn/computer artwork.

For any of you who haven't seen my annoying posts in the PSO Ep. 3 Forum Topic or the sig thread, I'm currently in a desperate search for a good picture of Break, the blue-dressed/robed FOmar from PSO Ep. 3.

Seph5172
Aug 26, 2003, 05:03 PM
I think you misunderstood Kadou... Oh and, if that's how it is, Neopets have many ... Dammit, I can't spell right now. Sponsorers.

Text-based? Sort of...

Neoluke12
Aug 26, 2003, 05:08 PM
the lightside ill make up names for tommorrow if someone does the neutral though!!!!!

Kadou
Aug 26, 2003, 05:53 PM
More than likely, I did..

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/spam.gif

Neoluke12
Aug 27, 2003, 09:09 AM
On 2003-08-26 15:53, Kadou wrote:
More than likely, I did..

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/spam.gif

What does that mean?????? This is a grudge/rival thing isn't it!!!!!!

Seph5172
Aug 27, 2003, 10:44 AM
? No, not at all. I just thought he was off his knocker.

Elvendar
Aug 31, 2003, 09:52 PM
For those of you who don't know, Sponsors are the companies who will donate money to help your site in exchange for you slapping their name around various areas. (think macdonalds on neopets.)

I actually just took an HTML class last year, and have been tinkering with various layouts. Since the idea has shifted away from PSO, I will volunteer either my meager programming skills or my cutesy paint drawing skills into the mix.

I also highly suggest you add a class system, including Shinobi and Lancer.

Kadou
Sep 1, 2003, 12:31 PM
What Elvendar said is more or less what I had in mind. I don't know what you were thinking, Seph. Yeah, but anyway, if you didn't notice, I did offer some mediocre services if you want them. I think they were crappy mixed computer/hand-drawn art, script, if what you're doing is still going to be primarily text based, and something else that I forgot and I'm too lazy to go back and check what it was.