PDA

View Full Version : GC BBA setup stuff

Milky
Aug 15, 2003, 08:19 PM
Ok, so I've been trying for a while to work out how to get my GC online, kind of on and off, I'll try for a while, get pissed that it wont work, leave it for a while, something motivates me to get it going, I try for a while, etc.

I'm trying to route the GC through my PC(using ICS). My PC is connected to the net through a USB, ADSL modem, and I've got my GC BBA plugged into a network card in my comp, via a length of crossover cable. Oh yea, I'm running Windows 2k pro, if that affects anything.(the faq only covers 98 and XP")

I've followed the FAQ on this site, but when I try to use the "Hompeage" option in PSO, I get something along the lines of "Failed to obtain an IP address through DHCP, DHCP server may be down blahblah". So I guess I have to set them manually?

Saw this: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=62397&forum=3&6

The ipconfig appears to show me the IP's and info for my modem and network card, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it, tried playing around with it in the PSO setup, but no luck.

And I've tried pretty much everything I know of with/without my firewall on. If I missed anything, I'll add it on later, anyone know where I'm going wrong?

(And how many acronyms can you fit in one post?)

RadHaz
Aug 16, 2003, 12:45 PM
I'm doing this successfully on an OS 10 Mac. My set up is:
Intergate internet sharing software (the built in Mac ICS works too)
An ethernet switch
standard CAT 5 cables
Dial up connection

Milky
Aug 17, 2003, 08:49 PM
Cool that you got it working, doesnt aid me in quest much though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Echo

Milky
Aug 20, 2003, 04:21 PM
Any chance of a hint? This is really starting to bug me.

Ketchup345
Aug 22, 2003, 04:46 PM
Try connecting the modem to your computer by a router and NIC if you can. Then connect the GC/XBox to the router, using a normal cable, not crossover. This let me go throught the setup and access the website (didn't try getting a HL yet though).

Milky
Aug 22, 2003, 06:30 PM
I was hoping I'd be able to get away without having to invest in a router. Can you get routers that'll let you plug a usb modem into them?

Rich_T
Aug 23, 2003, 04:44 AM
whereabouts in the world are you?
if your in the UK, BT have been having problmes wiht their wholesale ADSL services (BT ipstream/homestream500) that other ISPs use to provide broadband internet access, and BT openworld services ( both narrowband and broadband ) are also having trouble.
this is all due to this virus thingy thats going round at the moment.

I assume that your P.C can 'see' your gamecube whan its switched on, it should appear next to the clock on windows, with a "local area conection conected" message apearing above the icon.

and on your gamecube you have automiticly obtain IP address and anything else like that ticked.

Milky
Aug 23, 2003, 04:57 AM
My internet connection seems to be fine at the moment, through freeserve, and yep, I'm in the UK.

And when the GC is on, I get the little thing next to the clock. "Local area connection 2".

When I have the gamecube set to obtain an IP automatically, through DHCP, I get the "DHCP server may be down..." error.

Should anything be in the "DCHP hostname" box for that to work? There isnt right now.