PDA

View Full Version : Can you do the telepipe trick online?

DesertFox
Aug 16, 2003, 03:56 PM
Say I want to search for a Hildertorr and try to get a frozen shooter (a legit one), can I do the telepipe trick or does it only work offline? Because I want to try it online in Heat Sword since that last room before boss has 5 hildelts and I would think I might have a chance to get one, unless my luck is just like my luck with Rappies [refer to sig].

EDIT: I wasn't sure which forum to post this in...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DesertFox on 2003-08-16 13:56 ]</font>

TheAlmightyNewbie
Aug 16, 2003, 03:58 PM
Nope, only offline. I'm not sure exactly why in technical terms, as i'm offline only, but I just know that you can't do it offline.

joncushing
Aug 16, 2003, 04:26 PM
I think the reason it doesnt work online is because the bad guys wont reset like offline when you telepipe because online not everyone has to go through the telepipe to be able to use it like when you play multiplayer offline, some people can stay on the level whilst others go back to pioneer 2

Soukosa
Aug 16, 2003, 04:29 PM
Offline the game doesn't store the enemy data in memory when you leave that area. But, online, the server holds the enemy data so all of the players see the same thing. This is why the telepipe trick works offline but not online.

DesertFox
Aug 16, 2003, 05:31 PM
That sucks. Even if I'm the only player in an online game, I still can't do it, dang. That ruins an idea I had. But I'm still piping for that lucky Al Rappy. (Refer to sig)

EDIT: Wait, in Seabed, the laser traps are at different positions on everyone else's screens. How come it doesn't do the same thing for that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DesertFox on 2003-08-16 15:37 ]</font>

Fanatic
Aug 16, 2003, 07:01 PM
It all goes something like this:

When you go online, the server remembers the state of all monsters. It has to, or you wouldn't be able to pipe to an area somebody else left. This is why telepiping for rares won't work.

Once you're loaded up though, your client takes over handling of just about everything. This is why lasers and crushers are almost never in synch across clients, and why you see people hitting slimes from across the room. You only get the absolutely neccessary data (position of other players, their attacks and damage done).

It is done to conserve bandwith. The system for which the game was originally designed wouldn't be able handle the bandwith required to synchronize all monsters and objects constantly.