PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of Pay to play?

gamerdell7
Aug 17, 2003, 10:13 PM
I read in Gamepro that its so they can pay their workers for server maintanence.
I dont see any maintanance goin on in Pso though, you know, cheating..all that stuff.

But im sure server maintanance is a whole different thing.

Kent
Aug 17, 2003, 11:20 PM
The monthly fees on most online RPGs is for server maintainance. For PSO however... they're just leeching a few extra bucks off of us.

Wewt
Aug 18, 2003, 05:55 AM
PSO servers are still up and working, so that's where your money is going.

Captain_Dude
Aug 18, 2003, 07:10 AM
I guess the reason they charge so much is because the amount of PSO players online aren't that high (when compared with something like Everquest), and to be able to afford the servers they have to charge monthly fees that are too bloody high.

I still don't see why Sega wont just let Microsoft take over for PSOX, we wouldn't have to pay an additional fucking fee. But I think Sega a just kinda greedy, so they give us this bullshit about needing a fee for updates and whatnot. Meh

I still find it funny on all these games websites little kids are whining about the fee for FFXI, like it's not necessary. To host something THAT big, square needs alot of money, and they can't just rely on the money they make from the games sales. But no, these kids are fucking denser than lead. "They shouldn't charge a fee cause it's stupid. I not going to get it now." Well, y'know what kid, I'm glad you're not fucking getting it, cause I don't want to play a fucking game with kids who need lessons on how to tie their own damn shoes!

*RANT RANT RANT YAY YAY YAY*

hollowtip
Aug 18, 2003, 08:28 AM
On 2003-08-17 21:20, Kent wrote:
The monthly fees on most online RPGs is for server maintainance. For PSO however... they're just leeching a few extra bucks off of us.

exactly my thoughts. I wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks every 3 months for just a safe stable environment, but charging 10 bones a month without seeing any real steady stream of extra online content is just plain rediculous.

Guile
Aug 18, 2003, 09:23 AM
It's a way to make more money, why the hell would'nt they do it!?

polishedweasel
Aug 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
It's only 10 bucks...you act like it's alot. Just pay for it or stop playing.

NKOTB
Aug 18, 2003, 03:10 PM
On 2003-08-18 07:23, Guile wrote:
It's a way to make more money, why the hell would'nt they do it!?

Because by charging $10/ month now and not fixing problems nobody will be willing to pay anything next time around.

Wewt
Aug 18, 2003, 03:39 PM
On 2003-08-18 13:10, NKOTB wrote:
Because by charging $10/ month now and not fixing problems nobody will be willing to pay anything next time around.

Wrong!

Anybody that has been playing PSO since the Dreamcast will agree that you're wrong.

NKOTB
Aug 18, 2003, 03:50 PM
On 2003-08-18 13:39, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

Wrong!

Anybody that has been playing PSO since the Dreamcast will agree that you're wrong.

Am i wrong? I could be.

Maybe we should until we see how Ep 3 sells...

Wewt
Aug 18, 2003, 03:57 PM
We should. However, it's been proven once that the monthly charges won't affect the majority of PSO fans, even if Sonic Team don't provide them with good, well, stuff.

Guile
Aug 19, 2003, 12:27 AM
On 2003-08-18 13:39, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

On 2003-08-18 13:10, NKOTB wrote:

Wrong!

That's true, cuz version 2 was pay to play and they did'nt fix nothing. But when ep 2 came out and it was pay to play, people still bought it.

rpgmaster280
Aug 19, 2003, 06:27 PM
Dont forget that they provide online quests that they are constantly working on. In addition, they do all kinds of stuff behind the scenes. Besides, they are poor. Give them a break, people!

(P.S. Dont take this post personally http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

Wewt
Aug 19, 2003, 08:02 PM
On 2003-08-19 16:27, rpgmaster280 wrote:
Dont forget that they provide online quests that they are constantly working on.
So they add like one line of code a day to their super-quests?!

NKOTB
Aug 19, 2003, 08:09 PM
I doubt they write one line of code. I'd say they sit down at their desks, decide they don't feel like working today, and stand around and talk about whatever is on their minds.

Wewt
Aug 19, 2003, 08:17 PM
Another thing about Sonic Team... they keep on re-releasing their old shit. There's nothing wrong with an old classic quest like Endless Nightmare, but when you hear people say there's a "new" quest, and it's an Endless Nightmare, I just get pissed off and sick of PSO.

Kent
Aug 20, 2003, 01:22 AM
They're all sitting back and mastering the art of spinning in their chairs...

rpgmaster280
Aug 20, 2003, 04:59 PM
You probably have never coded anything before. Even if you have the engine, its still hard work. First you got to plan the whole thing out before the team leader will even think of using it. Then, even if you already have a stable game engine, it takes awhile to put it together. One line of code? You have to program EVERY aspect. Then once you got a working version, you sent it to QA who mock your work over and over again until you get it right. Its no easy job. Thats why patches and add ons to a game take so long to be released. Team members often argue over how to solve a problem with what variables, and it can take a few days to even get a foundation. Release time is also a big problem. Sometimes in order for something to be a succeed it must be released at the right time. Dont get me wrong, they take advantage of every second you are there. They dont want to see you slack off. Its THEIR money your wasting!

(PS sometimes its way faster to code something yourself but a team helps you out when your stuck and takes a lot of the work off your back. It mostly depends on the size of the project)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rpgmaster280 on 2003-08-21 07:48 ]</font>