PDA

View Full Version : How did you first get into PSO?

Dragon_Ash
Aug 18, 2003, 08:49 AM
Hmm the game sure has come a long way since version one way back in 2001. I first got into the game when I read an imported Japanese magazine and thought it might be different than Final Fantasy in terms of gameplay and longevity. I still like other RPG's but none have great weapons and free-roaming levels like this http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

So how did you get into PSO?

mimicr
Aug 18, 2003, 08:56 AM
Well, I only knew about GC until I came to this site. Anyways, I heard about it when I went to sonic teams website for SA2 battle and saw PSO. I was like, this looks like a cool game. Later, my freind bought the game (he told me he didn't know about it but baught it anyway because he thaught it would be cool) and Invited me over to play it on his GC. Then I baught it because It was so cool.

AndyPandy
Aug 18, 2003, 09:05 AM
I used to have a Megadrive, imported it the day it came out in Japan. I remeber buying and completing PSO on the Megadrive even though it was all in Japanese..lol.

Daneaus
Aug 18, 2003, 09:36 AM
Even weirder was my first getting in to experience... at least I would like to think of it as such... I was shopping for my littlest sister, who owned a N64... I was in Electronics Boutique... or EB... and they had a dreamcast setup... I was bored, and had much of they day to do nothing... plus I had heard great things about this system from Sega... which was one of my favorite developers... So I started to play the game that was on the screen... of course someone had just randomly made a RAmar and sold everything he had equipped... so I played without weapons through much of the forest... the employee there came over and started talking to me about the game... and how he loved it... how I could make a new character if I wanted since this one had no money and no weapons... We started to talk about SEGA and this game... Phantasy Star Online... I left the store impressed... was shopping for myself the next day... saw a DC... and PSO... bought them both...this was days after PSO had come out... and I havent regretted getting this new addiction ever since...

Kent
Aug 18, 2003, 09:43 AM
I read about it in an issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine and went out and bought the game three days after it came out.

Shattered_weasel
Aug 18, 2003, 09:45 AM
On christmas eve Polished comes over and says we are going to play this new game I got.....it turns out we played an all nighter....and i got sick.....bah

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Aug 18, 2003, 09:46 AM
My bro got the game first. He tells me how this game is so awesome and how much he would love that I could play with him ( He lives in Reno and I live Puerto Rico ),so I get the game so I could play with him online. But he forgot to tell me a little thing... you need a credit card to play online. Hence I never got to play with him, but now I have a adiction to this game. PSO forever !! ^_^

Kade
Aug 18, 2003, 09:51 AM
i saw it in some video game mag, about it first came out (ver 1 for dreamcast) bought it the night it came out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ash1ey
Aug 18, 2003, 10:00 AM
I went to software etc. my grandma was buying me two games for my birthday, and I only knew one game that I was sure that I was buying, and that was chrono cross, and then I saw PSO, and was like woah cool... so I just randomly picked that out, and then somone on the gameshark message boards helped me get online, cause people there seemed to know alot of free ISPs, and I didnt know of PSOW at the time, so yeah... Kinda just happened by randomness as to how I got PSO..

rena-ko
Aug 18, 2003, 10:08 AM
i got it in a package, when i bought my dreamcast secondhanded from a friend. this was around 2 months after its release in europe... august 2001.

jediknight007
Aug 18, 2003, 10:13 AM
When it first came out, I wasn't really planning to get it since I was more of a Final Fantasy person and never played the Phantasy Star games before. However, one of my friends were telling me how good this game was and Zelda-Wind Waker wasn't out yet. I was in GAME one day and it was like 'I HAD TO BUY A GAME!' and it was between PSO and Metroid Prime. In the end, I got PSO and I'm glad because I finally bought Metroid Prime a few weeks later at half price!

ABDUR101
Aug 18, 2003, 10:32 AM
I remember reading about it on a game site, that had previewed it. I saw afew pics and suddenly had a whirl of inspiration in my head, since it was something totally new to console users(playing online in a team RPG).

I had browsed PSOW and started gathering information, and eventually signed up and started posting. Made quite afew friends and we all waited for it to be released.

Had the DC bought for me for christmas when it was released, but it never got wrapped so I got it out late at night(I was always up until 3 and 4am), so it was easy to get it out and play all night without someone getting up. Then one night mom got up to goto the bathroom XD She wasn't mad, actually she sat on the sofa behind me and watched me play Sonic Adventure demo for a while and said how great and fun it looked, then she said goodnight and merry christmas and went back to sleep.(It was weeks before christmas, but she gave it to me)

When PSO was released, I hit the stores and bought it immediately, and I already had the keyboard bought and ready. Got home, got an HUcast started and lvl'd up and eventually said I was ready to go online.

Thats back when I was on 56k, so I could only get online at night, and I had to choose getting on the comp or PSO, but in the end most of my friends from PSOW were online, so we'd all get on together. It was the second time I had felt like a part of a group, so many friends together online that I could play and have a ton of fun with.

PSO and PSOW has been a worthwhile addiction for afew years now, and I'm just now getting back into it from a hiatus from the game...I can't wait. =)

I loaded up my lvl 17 FOmar yesterday and lvl'd him three times while going through Ruins in Normal. Aye.

Jkid
Aug 18, 2003, 10:41 AM
I've heard about it on EGM. And later a few months ago I got the game on my birthday. A few months later my dad help me get SegaNet,I went online for the first time and the rest is history.

Pastullio
Aug 18, 2003, 10:43 AM
I saw a article about PSO for GC in a issue of Nintendo Power, i thought it looked interesting and i liked RPG's so i got it, i later got the phantasy star collection for the GBA

Musashi-Slasher
Aug 18, 2003, 10:45 AM
I just went out to buy a new game and got this for some reason. I dont know why.

Butoden
Aug 18, 2003, 10:55 AM
My friend got i and was real excited about it, so I went to play it over at his house and then I got hooked so I bought it as well http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Oh and now I got 2 friends of mine hooked on it LOL http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HUShadow
Aug 18, 2003, 11:05 AM
I was looking through games at Nintendo.com in the RPG section and saw PSO, so I read the whole artical about it. It took me a few months to find it, but finally I did. I got about 7 friends hooked, and I'm still the best outta all of 'em http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gifAh, I love that game...

Kade
Aug 18, 2003, 11:05 AM
i think its hard not to get hooked on PSO http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HUShadow
Aug 18, 2003, 11:06 AM
Ain't it the truth http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Symbios
Aug 18, 2003, 11:12 AM
I just read it in EGM and decided to not get a dreamcast just to get PSO, even though it sounded cool. And I didn't want to pay money every month. After about a month of getting my GC along with SSBM, I said, "#@$% that!" and just bought it anyway. I was disappointed until i went online like 2 months later =D Too bad everyone calls me noob bacause i didnt play dc, cause i just drag them ot to a battle and make them see whos the noob =x

shifter
Aug 18, 2003, 11:16 AM
i was at school, and i went to one of my friends rooms. h was sitting there playing it when i walked in, and i was like 'wow whats that', he said PSO. he let me make a char. and started to play it. i loved it and later got my own.

RaikoStormX
Aug 18, 2003, 11:29 AM
i was surfing for sum good game son the interenet, and a few month lata, i got it.

KingMx
Aug 18, 2003, 11:36 AM
I read about how addicting the dreamcast version was years ago and then I thought about getting the GC version. But when I heard it was going to Xbox live I waited and now I've been playing it since the day it came out for Xbox.

NeoLon
Aug 18, 2003, 12:05 PM
I accually won my PSO GC disk from a contest in Nintendo Power. If it wasn't for that little stroke of luck i would have never discovered what a great game PSO is...

DualHydra
Aug 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
my friend had brought v.2 but he couldnt go online with it because of the hl. so then he gave it to me and he kept v.1. i didnt even know what was pso so i was like eh let me give it a try.i went online the same day i got the game and wow it was great. i still love pso. i think i should thank him lol.

_Sinue_
Aug 18, 2003, 12:59 PM
Phantasy Star Online is the game that made me get my Dreamcast. I wasn't going to buy it at first, since Sega pissed me off with the Saturn. I remember being so hyped up for it.. Sega even sent me this crazy promotional video tape for it... and then when the system released - they couldn't seem to get any games distributed in my area, and at the time I couldn't just pack up and make the hour drive the closest Video Game shop. After playing Resident Evil and Destruction Derby on the PSX, I was hooked and forgot all about the Saturn - which died soon after.

Going into this generation, I was planning on getting a PS2 first.. and it was at PSX2Central's forums that I first heard about the game. Being a long time fan of the Phantasy Star series.. I started looking into it.. and it had me hooked even before I played the game. I bought a DC and a few games.. and then a bit later picked up PSO v.1 along with Shenmue 1 and a DC Keyboard from McVans in Ft. Wayne. PSO is also the reason I bought my NGC - although I would have gotten one eventually anyhow.. it would have been my last choice if not for this game. I ended up getting the last two copies of it from EB in Ft. Wayne thanks to some last minuite deal between them and Sega which gave them exclusive rights to distribute it for the first week - making my McVans preorder worthless. A friend from work actually sweettalked the manager lady into holding the last two copies of it for us until we could make it the next day.

Two years, three consoles, and over 50 games later.. my Dreamcast is still my favorite console despite it's short lifespan. PSO opened up a whole new door to me I would have ignored otherwise and rekindled my love for Sega.

monkeyfist
Aug 18, 2003, 01:04 PM
i found it out from friends

i think pso is a lot like ffX
aeons-mags
overdrive-photon blast
blitzball-lobby soccer
sin-dark falz

meh.

Obscenity
Aug 18, 2003, 01:15 PM
Being a fan of PS since the original came out for the Sega Master System, I read about and drooled over PSO for like two years before it came out. I was so disappointed to find out that it didn't support the broadband adapter on the DC, nor could you play split-screen. Two more reasons to make me question my support of Sega, but I'm an idiot, so I still do.

Solidus_Snake
Aug 18, 2003, 01:33 PM
Played the PS series and learned about it from my friends at http://www.pscave.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solidus_Snake on 2003-08-18 11:33 ]</font>

Viperdude472
Aug 18, 2003, 02:03 PM
acutally i watched my cousin play it on dreamcast ver 1

Grimsoar
Aug 18, 2003, 03:25 PM
I was over at a friend's house and he showed me the Dreamcast v1 or v2. All he had to show me was his character stompping through the forest with mechguns and I was hooked. My mind scrammbled to think of a way to get a cheap DC. Then he told me it was coming out for GCN!! I waited.

tycool20
Aug 18, 2003, 04:13 PM
I wanted a new game, went to the store seen it there, so i bought it! Now its my favorite game http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

LadyRedComet
Aug 18, 2003, 05:02 PM
My cousin bought it for some reason, and let me make a character on his card...He then proceeded to tell me I was a terrible player, so I bought the game to prove him wrong.

Tekershee
Aug 18, 2003, 05:07 PM
My friend said it was good and I saw in the manual you could have 9 weapons! I mean! 9!!

Handgun/Slicer/Shot/Saber etc...

But when I got the game, there was much more than9.

And the main thing was he said it was good. Went out next day.

OnnaWren
Aug 18, 2003, 05:13 PM
I've been a hardcore fan of the Phantasy Star series since the summer of 1988 when I played the original game on the Master System to exhaustion.

Three games, thirteen years, one website and countless discussion-board flamewars later, along came PSO on the Dreamcast. How could I not play? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Off-topic: Who else here is getting Phantasy Star: Generation One for their PS2? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Reece
Aug 18, 2003, 07:44 PM
uh... There is no such game. And if there is it's not in THIS PS series. Even though this is a PSO site we would know if there was a PS for PS2...

Dragon_Ash
Aug 18, 2003, 08:44 PM
I recently got my friend away from Ragnarok online and he plays PSO more than often. I find it hard to stay away from this game. When will 4 be out? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Suppa_Buddha
Aug 18, 2003, 08:50 PM
EGMs review on Version 1, then my cousin let me sample the game.

Dragon_Ash
Aug 18, 2003, 08:56 PM
The first version of pso was great! The first person I played with was some type of sephiroth clone and the doublesabers were just as sought after as a lavis cannon is today. But version 2 really bites, i mean hackers that FSOD you as soon as you log on, that's just too much

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dragon_Ash on 2003-08-18 18:56 ]</font>

Night_Star
Aug 19, 2003, 12:07 AM
i saw a preview of it on Extended Play (incase you dont know. its a show on techtv)
i heard it was for dreamcast, and i already planned of getting a DC earlier, and it after i got my next check, it was the first game that i got http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_Sinue_
Aug 19, 2003, 12:32 AM
Off-topic: Who else here is getting Phantasy Star: Generation One for their PS2? - OnnaWren

Is it confirmed to come stateside? Seems like a no-brainer.. but then again, we're talking about Sega here. Sega and Baka are just about synonamous anymore. Still, even if it's not, I guess I'll just have to import and find a translation guide.

How the hell could I STAY AWAY from Phantasy Star: Generation 1???? Or Gen 2 and Gen 4 for that matter. Oh.. and the remake of Fantasy Zone. I love that game.

Opa Opa is the shit. http://www.wombat.zaq.ne.jp/auaen906/opaopa/sfz-opa.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2003-08-18 22:34 ]</font>

FlameMage
Aug 19, 2003, 12:51 AM
I first got into PSO by reading about it in a gameing zine. A long time passed and the price on the DC dropped. That's when I bought it, And got hooked.

Soul_Raven
Aug 19, 2003, 01:41 AM
This was way back in the good old DC days. I had just set up my brother's DC for online and was strolling through a Shopko when this game caught my eye. The only reason I bought it was because of the online play. I've been hooked ever since =).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soul_Raven on 2003-08-19 00:34 ]</font>

Synch
Aug 19, 2003, 02:19 AM
Cool stuff people. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I first got into PSO way back in early 2001 when I saw a review of it on the TV which made it look way cool. I read all the reviews in magazines finding out more about it before it was released and went to get it on the release day. Shortly after I rushed out to get a keyboard as I was getting hooked on playing it online. This was my first experience of online gaming, and I loved every minute of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Synch on 2003-08-19 00:20 ]</font>

Dhaen
Aug 19, 2003, 03:55 AM
I heard about it from a good friend of mine. I was reluctant to get it at first, because the time before, that I had bought a game without playing it first, went sour.
Anyways, in the end I went searching through every store that would have even the remote chance of selling a GameCube game, and I found it behind the counter at the Canadian Superstore. That was back in November of last year, I believe.

Dbc
Aug 19, 2003, 03:59 AM
I only got it on the dc beacause I wanted to try the sonic 2 demo, little did I that pso was better then sonic:)

Zarana
Aug 19, 2003, 04:28 AM
I was waiting on knee surgery and my cousins let me borrow their Dreamcast to pass the time. I later stole it from them. ^.~

Vanango
Aug 19, 2003, 04:40 AM
I like people's answers.

For me two of my friends were playing it and my options were either to leave, watch, or join.

=D

Neoluke12
Aug 19, 2003, 05:12 AM
On 2003-08-18 06:49, Dragon_Ash wrote:
Hmm the game sure has come a long way since version one way back in 2001. I first got into the game when I read an imported Japanese magazine and thought it might be different than Final Fantasy in terms of gameplay and longevity. I still like other RPG's but none have great weapons and free-roaming levels like this http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

So how did you get into PSO?

Well firstly there was versions before 2001 just called phantasy star. The way I got into the game though was my mate had it for dreamcast so I played it then thought it was good and when I saw it on the realese schedule for cube I went and bought it!!!!

OnnaWren
Aug 19, 2003, 11:48 AM
Reece Posted: 2003-08-18 17:44

uh... There is no such game. And if there is it's not in THIS PS series. Even though this is a PSO site we would know if there was a PS for PS2...

THIS PS series and the NUMBERED PS series (I-IV) are linked; maybe the programmers don't leap out and shout it, but the links to the main series are there. Play the previous games (preferably on the GBA I-III, and IV through emulator if you're not lucky enough to own a Genesis copy of IV), and then tell me that the two series have nothing in common.

Believe me, there's more than the likes of just Chocobos and Cid to link the games together... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif *anti-FF*

_Sinue_ Posted: 2003-08-18 22:32

Is it confirmed to come stateside? Seems like a no-brainer.. but then again, we're talking about Sega here. Sega and Baka are just about synonamous anymore. Still, even if it's not, I guess I'll just have to import and find a translation guide.

How the hell could I STAY AWAY from Phantasy Star: Generation 1???? Or Gen 2 and Gen 4 for that matter. Oh.. and the remake of Fantasy Zone. I love that game.

Opa Opa is the shit.

I'm importing. I have a friend who has an import PS2 (perfect until I get mine chipped), and another friend who's pretty handy in translating Japanese. As for a US release, it's not likely. Sega is saying words to the effect that we got the PS Collection, and we should be happy with that. BAKA BAKA BAKA! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/eviltongue.gif

Actually, there is a petition afoot in Japan to coerce Sega into remaking III as well... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

As for Opa-Opa... AGREED. XD *whistles the first stage music for Fantasy Zone to herself* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

[EDIT: Oh, and Wonder Boy! Bring him back, dammit! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif ]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2003-08-19 10:20 ]</font>

Auracom
Aug 19, 2003, 02:15 PM
I tripped and fell... when I woke up I was on P2. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Nah I just grabbed the GC version because I heard from a friend that it rocked for DC. Plus theres robots with really big guns! Thats always fun.

Kanore
Aug 19, 2003, 02:23 PM
I got it in Best Buy... why?

I read about it in Nintendo Power, and it sounded great that GC was going online. I was at Best Buy trying to get Metroid Prime early (geez it was my parents), when I couldn't reserve it anywhere, and saw PSO on the shelf. It looked cool because the FOmar had a really awesome staff and I was like 'holy shit this is so cool, i get to be a mage and show off my spells to other people'!

And then I was tossed into the addiction that is PSO.

Solidus_Snake
Aug 19, 2003, 02:27 PM
Robots with guns are always fun. But i see very few connections from PS1-4 to PSO. Aside from the numans and certain items to slightly bridge the gap nothing else really connects....Well maybe the fact that i believe the Ruins/spaceship is actually the ship Noah from PSII considering it is where Dark Force/Falz is held, just like in PSO

Arinoma
Aug 19, 2003, 04:00 PM
I actually downloaded the PSO demo for PC...well i had a good time, because i was naturally into online games, and since i was extremely familiar with Diablo 2, since it played like it (cept more like the Japanese Diablo ^_^), i gave it a try...well...

Aunt_Betty
Aug 19, 2003, 04:29 PM
I got in cause The Sims Online had a fee that as a bit 2 much 4 a mounth So i looked and looked...and looked. Then i went on sonicteam.com 2 c about n e new sonic games and TA-DA! i looked at the pso dreamcast website and wanted a deamcast then when i heard iit was coming out 4 gc i boumced on my bed and brised my head badly.

Minty
Aug 19, 2003, 06:45 PM
Waaaay back when in 2001 (or whenever it was) I was all excited about the new RPG's for the DC. Finnaly some good RPGs on DC! There was Grandia 2, couldn't wait! Then there was SKies of Arcadia, awesome cool! And then I had also heard of Phantasy Star Online. I just thought it would be another good RPG on DC alongside Grandia and Arcadia. I was too pumped for those two to care much about PSO anyway...until I read an article about it in the official Dreamcast Magazine.
I had never played, or really heard of an online RPG before so when I read about this I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I just couldn't wait to play it! I had to have it! I went out to look for it but it wasn't out yet. I waited, and waited, and so on and so forth until it was finnaly released. I picked it up as soon as I could and I've been playing ever since!

Droit
Aug 19, 2003, 07:51 PM
my girlfriend. nuff said, although it was before she was my girlfriend...

Neo_Squall105
Aug 19, 2003, 09:33 PM
I Played Phantasy Star 2. Never played a Phantasy Star before or after until I bought v.1 for DC and I bought a guide....wow...what a story.

Kezay
Aug 19, 2003, 09:43 PM
Interesting story. Actually it was because of my November Issue of Nintendo Power last year. Around the same time I had just beaten Seiken Densetsu 3 (Again) and I was hoping for another action rpg, that was instead on GCN and didn't have the title Lost Kingdoms. Low and behold I read that issue of NP and fell in love with PSO and decided to get that game on Xmas along with Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 0.