PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going to Get Pwned For Asking This...

Reenee
Aug 19, 2003, 01:22 AM
*whisper*

Why do people think the FF games are overrated?

*crouches and awaits to dodge oncoming projectiles*

xHIGHONLIFEx
Aug 19, 2003, 01:28 AM
Beats me... the one I didn't pay too much attention to was 9... I thought 7,8, and 10 were good...

HotWaterDeath
Aug 19, 2003, 06:48 AM
Most are merely a sloppy fairy tale hap-hazardly chunked together with "pretty" CG animation. The ATB system doesn't seem all that great..I mean its not horrible by any means..just a little tired. I think most of them present the typical cardboard characters (i.e. Cloud, the bad A** with memory loss-OH YEAH!)and they don't really make me feel anything.

Just my two cents.

BoUnCeR
Aug 19, 2003, 09:52 AM
The FF series gained their fame with episodes 7 and 8... after that just weak-minded followed square's policy like babies... FF X for instance, can't be compared to SoA (and i'm talking about the DC version) and grandia II... and FFX-2, just another way of exploiting people. These kind of actions make me fucking sick.

Valleo
Aug 19, 2003, 10:06 AM
The older FF's were much better in the sense that they had great storylines and intricate details to the games themselves. The new ones (beginning with 7) while sometimes good, marked the beginning of when games got to the point where great graphics were all you needed to sell a game, and story was secondary.

Now im not one of those clowns that always says "Old school games were all so much better than the new games". I spent an hour downloading NES roms for my g/f yesterday, and holy f**k were there some god awful titles that I had blocked from my memory untill yesterday. The difference is that now a garbage game can still be popular if the graphics are pretty enough, whereas the old school games really had to rely on the game itself, since the graphics were never going to be that great.

So to answer your question, I think people are just sick of games that are all image and no substance, and for most, the FF series (after 3/6) epitomises that. Not me though.... with the exception of FF8, FF9 and FF Mystic Quest, I liked them all, to one degree or another.

NKOTB
Aug 19, 2003, 10:31 AM
I love the FF series.

And how could any PSO fan bash the stories of FF games???? I forgot how incredibly detailed the story of Ep 1 is! "Please Continue Investigating" is about it.

AngelAlys
Aug 19, 2003, 12:04 PM
FF are definately NOT over rated, they are magical titles that send you into 100+ hours of gameplay... and with the amount of depth to them value for money over and over [except FF9 which was pants... lol]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AngelAlys on 2003-08-20 00:08 ]</font>

Captain_Bob
Aug 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
I never really liked Final fantasy. It's always been confusing to me. I like the way the games look, but i take one look at the battle sequence and go into a "DDR" type confusion.
If you don't know what I just said, I suck at it and I just stand there staring at the arrows moving at an impossible rate of speed for my feet to keep up.

To put it simply, DDR is evil, and I hate FF
*ducks down with reenee to dodge incoming projectiles*

Cloud17222
Aug 19, 2003, 10:43 PM
Final Fantasy 7 was good, but then, 8-10 sucked. 6 and below were also good.
11 is going to rock, my friend's in the PC version beta.

Dangerous55
Aug 20, 2003, 12:10 AM
I recently heared an interesting thought concerning FF.

Some guy I forget where said they are not RPG's. That they offer you no opinion or different course with the main character.

I agree that they are completely overrated. Same with Zelda.

Fujikuro
Aug 20, 2003, 12:17 AM
I always hated how most of the games had a character that needed to "find himself" or "restore is past or memory". That shit works for about one game before I start gagging myself with a shovel. Why in the blue hell can't they just put down a character that remebers where his hometown is, who his parents are, and remember something more than a small CG scene/flashback about his "true self". I love the gameplay and all but amnesia seems to be running a bit too wild in the new FF series. The older,although more simplistic, FFs just seemed more fun because you weren't sitting there asking yourself why you should care if Tidus is real or not. Don't even get me started with Tidus and just being a "dream"...gack, well thats my rant.

But thats just my opinion, maybe I need to get a room with padded walls...*bounce*

SundryKnives
Aug 20, 2003, 12:44 AM
Honestly cant say I ever played FF. By the way I love Zelda and DDR.

Inu_Ranma
Aug 20, 2003, 02:44 AM
Just keep in mind that the key of this is that anything that anybody could possibly say about the Final Fantasy games, or any games, and how good they are is completely opinion. If you like FF7, and you say it's your favorite game, and you think it's a great game, to YOU, it is not overrated. To me, though. I could have parts of it that I hate, and to me it would seem that you overrate it. Some people just like some games less. It's a fact of life.

DualHydra
Aug 20, 2003, 08:39 PM
FFX > EVERYTHING

Sin is god!

_J
Aug 23, 2003, 06:35 AM
If you can't appreciate the FF games (even if your not a fan of that particular type of game), then that's your problem. They are just simply GOOD games, that's not a matter of opinion. Even if you don't like them yourself, you must be able to see/understand why they are liked so much. 9 wasn't that great, and the ones before 7 are only good to those who like to jump on the "retro FF are better than the new ones" bandwagon, but 7, 8 and 10 are just great games - wether you like them or not. That's not a matter of opinion, it's common sense.

MasterJoel
Aug 23, 2003, 12:35 PM
wow... its very odd to me that people disliked ff9 so much... that was the second best one (next to 3/6)! i think the problem people had with nine were the art, once again. well, possibly the storyline. see, 4, 5, 6, and 9 all had the same writer. 7, 8, and 10 had the same writer. at this point, i have played all but 4 and 10, and i would definately say that the first writer (4,5,6,9) did a better job. the reason for the dislikage was the art (more cartoonish than 7,8,10), which was not what people were expecting after 7 and 8. also, it had a different writer than 7,8 so people were also not familiar with the writing style, because it was different than the popular ones. 9 really was a jem (or shall i say crystal, haha), but it just wasn't what newer fans were used to.

Obscenity
Aug 23, 2003, 03:32 PM
On 2003-08-23 04:35, _J wrote:
If you can't appreciate the FF games (even if your not a fan of that particular type of game), then that's your problem. They are just simply GOOD games, that's not a matter of opinion. Even if you don't like them yourself, you must be able to see/understand why they are liked so much. 9 wasn't that great, and the ones before 7 are only good to those who like to jump on the "retro FF are better than the new ones" bandwagon, but 7, 8 and 10 are just great games - wether you like them or not. That's not a matter of opinion, it's common sense.

I'll agree with most of that, except I really don't like 10 at all. I also liked 4, 5 and 6. 1, 2 and 3 I have no use for.

Inu_Ranma
Aug 23, 2003, 04:38 PM
Heh...Bandwagon...Obviously the meaning of that word isn't quite clear to you. The Bandwagon refers to when people jump upon an opinion because it is more popular/crowded. Like a bandwagon. Those of us who believe that FF6 was pretty much the pinnacle of Final Fantasy are the minority. I myself believe it because of a better plot, better characterizations, and better music. Graphics do not make a better game.

ryomakuriyami
Aug 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
FF1 was the only good Final Fantasy.
Of course this is just my opinion, though the fact that I need to say that pains me.
But I have a question: if the Fantasy is Final, how do they keep adding games?

muff
Aug 24, 2003, 02:00 PM
Different people and different worlds in each one.

_J
Aug 24, 2003, 08:14 PM
Like I said, this subject is not "debateable". Anyone who considers it open for such is ignorant. End of "disscussion".

DarkShinjaru
Aug 25, 2003, 02:12 PM
Pshhhhh, who needs Final Fantasy when you got Megaman X!?

FF Tactics was the greatest one, for me.
Strategic battle > ATB cause I prefer things that make me think o_O.

Reenee
Aug 25, 2003, 08:10 PM
On 2003-08-25 12:12, DarkShinjaru wrote:
Pshhhhh, who needs Final Fantasy when you got Megaman X!?

IDIOT! That's two different genres.

Valleo
Aug 26, 2003, 11:58 AM
On 2003-08-23 20:34, ryomakuriyami wrote:
FF1 was the only good Final Fantasy.
Of course this is just my opinion, though the fact that I need to say that pains me.
But I have a question: if the Fantasy is Final, how do they keep adding games?

Because it was supposed to be the company's last game, from what Im told. Supposedly they were going to fold, and this was to be the final project that they wanted to complete before going belly up. Thus "Final" Fantasy. Of course the game ended up being succesful, and I guess kind of saved them.

saffaya
Aug 26, 2003, 01:11 PM
Why does square kept doing sucky FF>6 instead of just making gorgeous cinematics is beyond me.

Actually not.
FF>6 are really a good match for the PS2.
Flashy fairy dust instead of substance.

Voodoochild
Aug 26, 2003, 01:48 PM
Ive only played ff7 and that was ok.

Dbc
Aug 26, 2003, 04:38 PM
I found all the ff games ive played(up to http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif were some of the greatest rpg's I have ever played in my life, FF anthology got me hooked on FFV

Lede
Aug 28, 2003, 09:10 PM
Well FF 7, 9 and 10 where one of the best ones, 8 how ever tried to make there story to realistic, none of them really sucked and most people that think they suck are not real RPGers. 10 was no doubt the best tho, next next to 7.

FFT was yes one of the great ones as it made you think more then anything, as the AI was quite good, the enemies there where actaully smart and can out smart you if your not careful, they said hoshigama was better then FFT but it was not, the enimies where pretty dumb and i did not like the coin system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lede on 2003-08-28 19:15 ]</font>