PDA

View Full Version : Im making a game!

rpgmaster280
Aug 19, 2003, 03:26 PM
I found a nice game engine to use and already started the process. I made a few models and some levels, and am going to set up a fan site with a few pics of what I got done. Im using JAVA to program the whole mesh. The game is going to be like phantasy star online mixed with final fantasy tactics. Yes, it will be an online game and I will set up a server here at my house. Ok, I doubt one computer can host over 200 users even with 2 processors and a lot of RAM. NVM that. The reason why im posting here is because I was hoping that you guys would give me some ideas on items, quests, etc. Maybe you might want to help me, perhaps. So post your thoughts. Ill be glad for the input. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

rpgmaster280
Aug 19, 2003, 03:51 PM
I feel that grid based combat is kind of limited so I went with a kind of circular combat system. Basically you wait for your bar to fill up (you can walk and run while this happens). Certin attacks need a certin amount of bar energy and (if magic based) AP. My game is not futuristic nor mideval. I decided to go with a present theme. I am trying to think of a story that doesnt rip off of any game. I mean, saving the pricess or the world gets old fast. Ill post later with my progress. See you later.

Intimidacius
Aug 20, 2003, 09:04 AM
Good point. The circle system sounds neat, almost Secret of Mana-esque. About time someone tried that system again. Another one would be hex based movement.

A story, huh? Present day? How about your landlord is really mean and you have to beat him up. Then you realize he is part of some secret organization that wants to sell fajitas to orphans.

Too crazy, eh? How about an alternate reality. Mix technology with magic. Shadowrun? Eck! Or maybe leave the magic element out and just have special manuevers like "Boot to the Nuts" or "Boot to the Head." Sorry if Intimidacius is just wasting your time.

"Save the environment!" a lady cried from her S.U.V.

monkeyfist
Aug 20, 2003, 10:24 AM
hey. sounds fun. pm me with any kind of info you need

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Aug 20, 2003, 10:29 AM
Sounds good !! However,I should sugest you scrap the present day story. This could quite limit your ideas of weapons to only guns and magic would look quite out of place. Besides what would the enemies be, Humans !?

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Aug 20, 2003, 10:34 AM
I do have some suggestions. In any case PM if you want some ideas for weapons,items and jobs or character class.

mimicr
Aug 20, 2003, 10:49 AM
On 2003-08-20 07:04, Intimidacius wrote:
Good point. The circle system sounds neat, almost Secret of Mana-esque. About time someone tried that system again. Another one would be hex based movement.

A story, huh? Present day? How about your landlord is really mean and you have to beat him up. Then you realize he is part of some secret organization that wants to sell fajitas to orphans.

Too crazy, eh? How about an alternate reality. Mix technology with magic. Shadowrun? Eck! Or maybe leave the magic element out and just have special manuevers like "Boot to the Nuts" or "Boot to the Head." Sorry if Intimidacius is just wasting your time.

"Save the environment!" a lady cried from her S.U.V.

Nice story http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

RoninJoku
Aug 20, 2003, 11:31 AM
Hey whats the game engine called? Can you give me a link or something?(that is if its for download which it probably isnt cuz all downloadable game engines suck =( )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2003-08-20 09:34 ]</font>

rpgmaster280
Aug 20, 2003, 11:45 AM
Out of all the game engines Ive seen so far, the wild tangent is the best free one. It's ok for what its worth. I almost got a working demo set up. Ill be working on a temporary fan site with some pics of the game all this week so just wait and see. Yeah, I think present weapons with magic and psychic powers would be cool. Wow, that makes 3 class types already. However, I currently have the game set up to save as cookies so I have to do some more work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

rpgmaster280
Aug 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah if you find a better game engine PM me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dangerous55
Aug 20, 2003, 11:53 AM
Present day is better, there are alot of cool guns you could put in, I could come up with some good ones if you want, just PM me.

You could have Melee too, we still make knives and clubs.

Omni-SqwirL
Aug 20, 2003, 12:25 PM
On 2003-08-20 09:46, rpgmaster280 wrote:
Oh yeah if you find a better game engine PM me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Same here. I wouldn't mind making one with all this free time I have in Computer Science -_- this class is so easy...

Bradicus
Aug 20, 2003, 12:43 PM
If you are going to add pso elements to the game, i beg you to do a better job with spells than they did. Another possible cool feeature would be streetfighter type specials in melee combat (slash slash jump= sonic wave)... but bigger.
Also, (just brimmin with ideas aint i?) ANY level of customization would be appreciated by real rpg gamers; wheather it be mag like (design your own stats), weapon type (find a big gun, be holding a big gun), attack type (hard to program, but definitly one of the best!), or character type (may be too compex for basic engine).

As for story, present day is cool on its own... but hmmm....
How bout a government based enemy, or possibly alien (which would allow for powers beyond present day yet in a more real setting). Be sure to remember the common plot feature of any good story or game. Who was your freind could be or become your enemy, and who is your enemy, may turn out to be your ally.

Battle sysem... Ive never heard it called circular before, but it is almost always great (Heavy on the almost). I have seen horrible mistakes made with this, but i cant say anything untill i am sure what you are doing...

Good luck, and be sure to post what you have done!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bradicus on 2003-08-20 10:50 ]</font>

rpgmaster280
Aug 20, 2003, 05:08 PM
This is my first independant project (dont ask why) and I realized I lack ideas. Im by myself and one person working on everything can take awhile (although its good not asking other programmers WTF did they do with the public variables and why they are lagging with their share of the work). I really like present day weapons (there are still black smiths in the world that made custom weapons) and real guns are more painful than lasers (Lasers burn fleash which reseals the wound while guns let the enemy bleed to death). No progress to report so ill see you later http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

crazy_latino2
Aug 28, 2003, 01:14 PM
I don't know if you making it anime based but please do so.and if your going to make it present day do a world like FF7. it's world seemed present day but they made it their own present day world. and don't just have guns. have swords, knives, guns, etc. so there could be a variety of weapons, makes players more open. oh yeah is this 3D or 2D?

Kent
Aug 28, 2003, 02:17 PM
On 2003-08-20 15:08, rpgmaster280 wrote:
[...] and real guns are more painful than lasers (Lasers burn fleash which reseals the wound while guns let the enemy bleed to death). No progress to report so ill see you later http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

You haven't seen some of the military's aircraft-mounted anti-missile lasers, have you? Those things can make a hole that's a foot in diameter in a solid brick of steel in about a second, that'd go through flesh even faster, and I'd like to see a human recover from a wound like that, or even not be in shock from a gaping hole in their person...

And if you want to hire me as a game mechanics designer, here's your chance.

Captain_Dude
Aug 28, 2003, 03:22 PM
Ever need music, or sound effects. You know who to come to... Heh heh heh...

*Writes "I work for cheap" on a sign and tapes it to his back*

darthsaber9x9
Aug 28, 2003, 04:20 PM
yo wens there gunna b pics http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif and i neva programmed b4 but hey if u want to gimme a (blow http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif )job go ahad

rpgmaster280
Sep 1, 2003, 12:14 PM
I got the worm recently, had to reformat all my HDs, that took a few weeks to finish and install all the software again, not to mention the fact that I lost some of the recent additions to the game (i burn most my stuff to cds) and I lost all my DBGT episodes. Funny thing is that the school also got the worm and all the school's in the duval public school system went down. Thats all the schools in jacksonville! Now that school has started, I may not be able to finish the project. I have to see what I have to do before I make any real decisions, but I halso have to save quite a bit of money to get a decent computer to act as a server (i know im not using THIS computer as the server). Ill just take things as they come and hope they work out. By the way, I decided to make the game in javascript now because if its ease to post online. Java is just as easily posted online, but javascript takes a bit less coding.

rpgmaster280
Sep 1, 2003, 12:20 PM
On 2003-08-28 12:17, Kent wrote:
You haven't seen some of the military's aircraft-mounted anti-missile lasers, have you? Those things can make a hole that's a foot in diameter in a solid brick of steel in about a second, that'd go through flesh even faster, and I'd like to see a human recover from a wound like that, or even not be in shock from a gaping hole in their person...

Yeah, but you would be dead within seconds. That means there is far less pain than, say, a simple hand pistol or knife.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rpgmaster280 on 2003-09-01 10:21 ]</font>

Symbios
Sep 1, 2003, 12:38 PM
i made a post like this when i was on psolife :S and i said i was gonna use the names of people that were on the site, but unfortunatly some idiot banned me. So i dont got any named for the people on my rpg...thats lame.

Kent
Sep 1, 2003, 05:36 PM
On 2003-09-01 10:20, rpgmaster280 wrote:

On 2003-08-28 12:17, Kent wrote:

Yeah, but you would be dead within seconds. That means there is far less pain than, say, a simple hand pistol or knife.

And doing that much damage in one attack would make causing pain pointless.

...Unless you're an evil, sadistic, torturous bastard...

rpgmaster280
Sep 1, 2003, 07:53 PM
Do I have to reply to that?

Temjin-On
Sep 1, 2003, 07:59 PM
DAMNIT SWORDS! WAHHHHHHHH!
Ok so that isnt helpful I know but i love swords! Plus starfighters swords and starfighters! WAH!

rpgmaster280
Sep 1, 2003, 08:04 PM
Starfighters? Dont you mean star wars? Too bad i couldnt make a game based on star ship troopers. Im too afaid of getting sued. Or maybe a game based on the infamous space balls...

crazy_latino2
Sep 6, 2003, 02:46 PM
just play sword some where in there.

rpgmaster280
Sep 8, 2003, 11:29 AM
Can't have an RPG without swords, can we?

Domon2
Sep 8, 2003, 09:37 PM
what if you just gave every player say 100 health and make
a couple different kinds of guns and say you can aim at the players arm and shoot his arm he can aim better using his left arm and now the other player misses a lot now and maybe a couple of knifes thrown in likea machete oh next post can you send me a link of the website where you downloaded the engine.