PDA

View Full Version : Most Hours worked...

Vanango
Aug 20, 2003, 09:52 AM
I've been working like crazy the past week or so and decided to whine rant about it.

Yesterday I worked 23 hours in a row (this was lifting and moving and cleaning and constant work with a couple 5-10 minute breaks and 1 one hour break.

Today I worked 18 hours in a row (and I'm going back tonight for at least another 4 hours)

The longest time I worked was 27 straight but it was at a very very easy non demanding job...

and I worked 80 some hours in a week at a restaurant.

ok, enough of that.

zzz

NKOTB
Aug 20, 2003, 10:56 AM
I'm a teacher and do that M-F 7-4

I have a night and weekend job M-F 6-10 and Sat-Sun either 10-6 or 1-10

I am also still in school with night classes on M & W 6-10.

If you count going to school as work I work a little more than 80 hours per week, every week during the school year. That doesn't count things like arranging and organizing the classroom, grading papers, contacting parents. Anymore, I usually pay high school girls at my night job to grade the papers for me (I teach elementary).

Voodoochild
Aug 20, 2003, 11:33 AM
I work 15 hours every day Mon-friday. That is 75 hours/week. Sometimes its 75-85hours/week. Not very fun. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I did work for 36 hours one time. Work sux http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Voodoochild on 2003-08-20 09:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Voodoochild on 2003-08-20 09:38 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Aug 20, 2003, 12:15 PM
I work in therapy at nursing homes, so it's very odd to work more than 8 hours a day. The reason being, there has to be a high caseload to make up the hours, unless physical and occupational therapy don't co-treat, in which case the caseload gets seen 9am-3pm, and then again from then on until it gets done.

There have been quite afew nights where I've worked Occupational therapy during the day, and then stayed and worked physical therapy in the evening.

When I used to do contracts for the company, working all day into the evening at the facility and then coming home to type a 20 page contract for new employees or new facilities we were going to work for, not the most fun I've ever had.

There was a time when I was working 130 hours in two weeks. That might not sound like a lot, but it is quite alot when you work in therapy. Also, the company I work for doesn't pay any over-time, just straight hours, and yes, that is illegal.

I don't mind the work itself, it's quite enjoyable and I love working with all the staff and residents, but it runs thin when you've been in a facility all day into the evening(Walking the length of the facility upwards of 30 times a day, helping the elderly stand and walk/keep their balance, exercises, precautions/safety, medical issues, etc), come home and don't have any "down time" before the next day.

It's safe to say, that every two weeks I get atleast 90-100 hours in, and thats even on some days when I get off early when someone else comes to help Physical therapy in the evening.

Vanango
Aug 20, 2003, 07:18 PM
man, I don't even want to think about my school schedule... full time student and 2 part time jobs... and an attempt to have a life.

ABDUR101
Aug 20, 2003, 07:30 PM
You have my sympathy with the two part time jobs thrown in. =x

Mystil
Aug 20, 2003, 08:49 PM
27 hours? You're lucky actually. Seeing as last week I did 70.

ABDUR101
Aug 20, 2003, 09:29 PM
On 2003-08-20 18:49, Silhouette wrote:

..70 hours, without going home, or did you sleep at work?

_Sinue_
Aug 20, 2003, 11:30 PM
I don't tend to like being bound to work. The most I've ever worked was 12 hours, as it's illegal to work most people over that amount of time in a single day. Those who earn selary and some other professions like Doctors are allowed to work up to 80 hours in a row, but are then required to take a manditory 48 to 72 hour rest period.

Being a factory worker, I've never really gone over the 12 hour line. However, when I worked at Maple Leaf Farms the second time, they reqired me to work 12 hours a day - 7 days a week indefinately. That's like, 84 hours a week - every week - for 6 months streight.

Mystil
Aug 21, 2003, 07:46 AM
On 2003-08-20 19:29, ABDUR101 wrote:

Nah. This is how many hours I worked without A dayoff. I still go home and go to work. Just like this week I'mma do 90 probably...

Now for hours STRAIGHT without GOING home, was 16.

Vanango
Aug 22, 2003, 04:05 AM
On 2003-08-21 05:46, Silhouette wrote:

On 2003-08-20 19:29, ABDUR101 wrote:

Nah. This is how many hours I worked without A dayoff. I still go home and go to work. Just like this week I'mma do 90 probably...

Now for hours STRAIGHT without GOING home, was 16.

16 vs 27? Looks like you're the lucky one if my math skills serve me right.

Hooray for Overtime.

ABDUR101
Aug 22, 2003, 05:28 PM
hmmm...most hours worked without a day off?

..five days, upwards of 12-14 hours of therapy on really bad days(alot of people in bed and have to get up in the afternoon, unavailable/refusing/sick causing us to wait to see if they feel better).

I've been getting lucky and only having 9 and 10 hour days.

It can get rough, but it really depends on what you do at the job. I'm on my feet constantly through all the hours I work, except for lunch.

Kudos to anyone who can work anything over 20 hours straight.

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 12:37 AM
Its rather annoying for people to complain about this. It your fault you work the way you do. You made the choice, no matter what, there always is another choice. But I just tend to spoil peoples fun ignore me...

Vanango
Aug 23, 2003, 02:15 AM
On 2003-08-22 22:37, Sarunakai wrote:
Its rather annoying for people to complain about this. It your fault you work the way you do. You made the choice, no matter what, there always is another choice. But I just tend to spoil peoples fun ignore me...

I agree. Guess what? It's also rather annoying that you would point that out and be such a hypocrite. No one made you read this post. No one even asked you to read anything on PSO. Hell, even if you left, chances are you won't be missed.

Similarly, if I stopped working the business I left would still function. It might suck for them for a bit without my labour, but I'm completely and totally expendable.

No one is making me do anything but myself. I push myself because I realize there are people depending on me and there are a lot of expectations. I don't want to screw anyone else over.

Yes, there are other alternatives, I could quit, not have money to pay for bills, not be able to pay for school and be forced to drop out, liquidate all my assets and become a bum on the street or monk in a monastary.

I could stop working. I could find a different job, I could kill myself. I realize that I bring it upon myself and to succeed I have to work, but I want to complain. It makes me feel better being able to whine. Hell, you found the need to complain about our complaining. Granted, it's quite possible that you just like to "find joy in spoiling people's fun" but otherwise you felt better about ranting about your annoyance.

I'm ranting about my annoyance of having to work a lot. Yea, Misery loves company.

Someone could rant about the weather and you could blame them for living in the area they are. Someone could rant about the economy and you could tell them to become non materialistic and less capitalistic. Hell, all problems can be fixed by death (unless the problem is you are dead... but we won't get into that)

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 02:21 AM
WE both have our points and we can go on contradicting eachother for hours and I personally dont feel up to that. SO I'm sorry for you that you waste your life ranting yet its none of my buisness and I don't really care anyway so why does it matter? Lets just drop it before this thread becomes something else.

Vanango
Aug 23, 2003, 02:33 AM
On 2003-08-23 00:21, Sarunakai wrote:
WE both have our points and we can go on contradicting eachother for hours and I personally dont feel up to that. SO I'm sorry for you that you waste your life ranting yet its none of my buisness and I don't really care anyway so why does it matter? Lets just drop it before this thread becomes something else.

*shrug* I didn't think there was much else to say.

1. People are responsible for their own actions
2. What happens to them to a great degree is determined by their actions
3. Whining about something doesn't change the situation
4. Complaining does however make people feel better hence the reason everyone does so much complaining and there is an entire forum dedicated to rants on the PSO message boards.
5. Complaining about Complaining is hypocricy.

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 02:37 AM
Even thought you state there wasn't much left to discuss you continue to seek a way of putting me in shame of some sort. This conversation is totally irrational in most respects, but maybe because its late/realy early/ or that I'm just pissed so this is it. Just fucking drop it.